Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dead Last posted:

The tech buses help keep cars off the roads by providing mass transit along a route not adequately served by public transit.

Technically true, but it's not like there is room for everyone at Google and Facebook who lives in SF to just hop in their cars and drive to and from work tomorrow if the shuttles disappear. There needs to be a way to shift the actual costs of this ridiculous commute onto the businesses and SV cities who insist on keeping their situation so unsustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

"How to Buzzword Your Buzzwordiest Buzzwords" by Gavin Newsome.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Moving your operation to the middle of nowhere in Texas or Arizona is a pretty good way to filter out any employees willing (and able) to change jobs to stay in CA. Whether these employees likely represent the good part or the bad part of ones workforce is left as an exercise to the reader.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You have to account for the presence of all those Texans also.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah everyone stay the gently caress out of Oakland. It's awful here; you would hate it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Blindeye posted:

No need to hoard development in downtown SF when most of the land area near BART is elsewhere. My experience was that a commute across the bay wasn't that bad compared to most cities I've lived in.

A commute across the bay isn't that bad right now, but the tube is approximately at capacity during the average rush hour. Any kind of big public event or BART system fuckup sends things to poo poo pretty fast. Add in the ongoing increase in ridership (either by the system expanding or by more people moving to remote locations) and the average commute will be getting more and more unpleasant in the future. The effort put into expanding BART south and east probably would have been better spent on a second transbay crossing before they start putting more people into the system.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 26, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If the schools in poor neighborhoods aren't sufficiently educating their students then people will move to neighborhoods where the schools do a better job and the poor neighborhoods will go out of business.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are paranoid about earthquake safety then the age of the building matters more. I work in earthquake engineering and I would rather be in a modern building on landfill than in an old building in the mission.

The SOMA high rise or Mission Bay condo might be a more exciting ride but it is a lot less likely to kill you.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Betty Yee (no relation)

She should make sure that her name appears on the ballot exactly like this.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
IME Caltrans is where you go to work when you want to have time to spend on other (non-career) stuff.

edit: Of the two people I know who left consulting to work for Caltrans, one did it because he wanted to start some kind of hippy-dippy counseling service on the side and the other did it to spend more time with his kids.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jun 10, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

If the busses never existed, those workers would have the same commute pressures as the rest of those people not working at cash flush tech companies and housing growth would happen in closer cities like San Jose vs San Francisco. Hell there might even be the demand pressure to improve public transit solutions that would benefit everyone instead of just the few.

...but yeah mostly they're just a giant rolling metaphor for income inequality.

Yeah imagine if Google, Apple, et al. put a bunch of money into lobbying for actual local and regional transit access.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should see the pants-making GBS threads that happens then someone proposes taking out a street parking space for any reason at all.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
And if there is any justice, before getting in your car to pull out of the spot you get run down by someone screwing with their phone while circling the block looking for parking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

Okay, so it's people selling off their spots when they leave. Obviously that is illegal. Interesting question: would it be illegal to remove the bidding part, but to make it social? I.e. to alert friends, goons, etc. that you will have a spot free?

SF already has a free app for metered spots that can direct you to an open space.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Slobjob Zizek posted:

I didn't know this! Okay so this guy is a pure clown.

Upon further inspection, it appears that the city removed the feature that directs you to empty spots in a recent update. :wtc:

edit: Apparently the sensors that detect whether a space is empty have been turned off. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea?

withak fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 1, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You can practically smell the nerd fury from a coder who can't stand to see something happen without a clearly defined procedure.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In my line of work we have to provide copies of up-to-date PE licenses when we say something like "150 engineers on staff".

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

And in order to maintain the title you must complete Continuing Education requirements; this is typically 20 hours/year and also requires that you remain "of good character" meaning no felony convictions or things like DUIs or else your state board takes your license. Medical licenses are regulated in exactly the same way.

California actually doesn't have any continuing education requirements for a PE. You only need to worry about it if you are registered in another state also.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah it will be X% reduction from the previous year or something like that. People in apartments will have to take X% fewer showers to comply while people in houses will have to stop watering their driveways to comply.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
XKCD was relevant today:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Expanding freeways never helps FYI.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
ca. 1950 :911:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

It's wastewater injection wells, not fracking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

VikingofRock posted:

But those wastewater injection wells are part of the fracking process and are used by the fracking companies? I'm not sure why you're being pedantic here.

The oil and gas industry uses wastewater wells for more than fracking.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

Notice how I said there was very little fracing. Not none. Just because Benzene is found in fracing fluids doesn't mean Benzene isn't found in other wells too.

There are <30 wells they are investigating out of the 1,500 active wells in California. If you look at the list of wells (http://www.biologicaldiversity.org/campaigns/california_fracking/pdfs/20140915_State_Board_UIC_well_list_Category_1a.pdf) you'll see the classic truism applies: never trust small operators. Notice how Chevron, Shell, etc aren't on that list.

There will be ~650 fracing jobs in California in 2013 compared to the 48,000+ oil wells in California.

Also the actual letter from the state Water Control Board doesn't mention fracking at all. Wastewater is wastewater regardless of what kind of well it came from.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pervis posted:

We'd need some massive municipal authority to basically plan and extend BART and build massive mixed-use residential/commercial buildings around the new extensions as well as the other stations. Of course you'd also want to somehow extend BART well in to the south bay and make it useful for all the people down there, too. Running both down the peninsula and down the 880/680 corridor and connecting somewhere down at say, SJSU would be nice.

Until it actually connects to commuter destinations in SJ, any BART expansion (including the ones in progress right now) is going to turn the system into a clusterfuck under normal traffic levels. Right now during rush hour the tube is basically at capacity in terms of the number of trains that can go through and the number of people on those trains. Anything that bumps up the number of people wanting to cross the bay at rush hour is going to result in people at the innermost stations having to regularly wait for a full train or two to pass by until they can get one. Even a single 8-car train at the wrong time can cause this right now.

They should have built another bay crossing before expanding south of Fremont.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

etalian posted:

They just need to build Chinese style factory dorms inside the silicon valley cult compounds.

I vaguely remember reading a while back about Google looking into building on-campus housing and running into zoning issues.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

I don't think the expectation is that people will be commuting SF-SJ via the BART. Its instead to allows people to live in Fremont et al and work in SJ and commute by BART.

The expanded tunnel is coming with High Speed Rail :v:

Yeah but the current expansion just reaches a little farther south of Fremont. The vast majority of the people using those new stations are going to be commuting towards SF. I doubt that Warm Springs or Irvington will see heavy inbound commuter traffic.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Speaking of which the Warm Springs station is currently pretty much "middle of nowhere", the nearest strip mall is like a mile-long walk away, WalMart in another direction, and then a bunch of mostly empty industrial parks in the vicinity.

This is the best kind of place for transit to expand to. It is cheaper to build out, and denser, transit-oriented development can follow. If you are expanding your transit system into places that are already sprawled-out hellish suburbs then you are doing it wrong.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always wonder how much maps like that are influenced by them being made based on prices from non-Craigslist rental listings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think the science is basically that foreign, oil-soaked, torch trees don't necessarily need to be touching each other for a fire to spread.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Last night a sideshow apparently made the mistake of setting up on a street near the Port of Oakland with only one way in and one way out. So the OPD and CHP blocked off both ends, trapping everyone and their cars inside before arresting everyone. They impounded over 100 cars and arrested maybe 200 people.

Attempts to break out from the cordon before the arrests started were unsuccessful.

News helicopters were on-hand already for the protests and got the whole thing on video:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video?topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=10895994

withak fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 27, 2014

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FRINGE posted:

Was there something bad going on or was it just an excuse for the cops to steal a lot of cars?

Both.

edit: Oakland sideshows, for anyone not familiar with the term.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I imagine it is a priority if you have ever been stuck in traffic somewhere while some assholes in front of you have everything blocked off to do donuts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I suspect that walking is incompatible with attendance.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
No one gets upset over "Frisco", it is just a sign that the person has no idea what they are talking about.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
NOPA is where your favorite restaurant is. The Western Addition is where you find that your car has been broken into while you were inside your favorite restaurant.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

Here's that image in huge version

Makes a nice wallpaper.

Jesus christ, everyone needs to zoom this in and appreciate the scale of the flames compare to downtown LA.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
My ex-girlfriend's mom used to drive an extra 20 minutes to go grocery shopping in Orange County instead of LA County so that she could get free plastic bags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If someone is giving you brown paper bags without a handle then you should never shop there again because they are clearly trapped in the past. Or you could bring your own bags, you lazy, sea turtle-murdering rear end in a top hat.