Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I want DST to be permanent. Eliminate daylight losing time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

FCKGW posted:

Yeah that last one seems like a no-brainer.

Unless..

Being a disgusting pig transcends gender lines.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

Drug companies probably would have spent a lot of money fighting a ballot proposition to put their California offices to the torch and to throw their shareholders in the stocks so that the poor could pelt them with rotten fruit, but that wouldn't make voting for it out of spite a good idea.

While it's not the law I'd really want, I guess that would be a decent first step, until something more effective could be passed.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Legalized marijuana is the emptiest loving victory on the same night Trump wins the presidency (because it's going to be prosecuted by the feds as if it wasn't)

gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

e. For reference, the capacity of the Oroville reservoir is 3,537,577 acre-feet. One acre-foot is 43559.9 cubic feet, so the capacity of the lake is approximately 154,096,600,000 cubic feet. There's a looot of goddamn water there, guys.
source.

Can you convert that to football fields? As an American, it's the only unit of measurement that I can understand.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

There sure are a lot of names for rolling parking lots.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Anyone have a good breakdown of the Sacramento city/county measure?

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 12, 2018

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Speaking of which, what's the safe way to dispose of those liter-sized (roughly) propane continers used for camp stoves and the like/

Chuck 'em in the camp fire.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Here in SF I see people shoving stuff in their jackets and walking out of the Taraval Safeway every time I walk in and none of the bare bones staff give a flying gently caress.

I’m honestly surprised the bottom hasn’t fallen out harder in regards to lovely retail jobs.

My gf works at safeway, and she says that security are the only ones allowed to do anything with shoplifters. Anyone else is risking their job over a can of soup if they try to stop product from walking out the door. Everyone knows that there's massive amount of theft at downtown locations. It's part of the reason those stores have higher prices.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Gavbot keeps saying nation-state in reference to California, has that been a normal thing for him?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Seph posted:

Didn't Newsom say a bunch of testing was coming online like a week ago? What happened to that? It seems like testing is still relatively sparse here.

It's increasing, and better than most of the country. But still lower than it should be.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Has no one brought up the fact that, uh, they do have names? All the freeways in LA have names. And for decades, that's how they were referred to. I remember the signs changing from prominently displaying "The Golden State Freeway" to mainly showing the I-5 sign.
There's still some signs with the names on them. The Golden State Freeway, The Harbor Freeway, The San Diego Freeway, The Foothill Freeway.

So we were already calling them "the ___", it's just that the nomenclature has changed. I still use the names sometimes too, mainly with family.

The dead cop celebratory causeway.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

e.pilot posted:

They know the value of a human life, and it is more cost effective to open things back up.

I believe it was around $10m give or take.

It's $7.50/hr, plus payroll taxes to rent a human life.

When one breaks, rent a new one.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no not yet

they don't even have 25% of the required sigs, but they only just started at the end of march - the deadline is june 25 but they probably won't make it

Lockdown is destroying all the props for this year's election, lol.

From a quick look, the good ones were for legalizing shrooms and regulations for dialysis clinics. Then a bunch of terrible ones, and a few mystery props.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

LtStorm posted:

Mystery props as in we don't know anything about what they mean, or mystery props like Prop 11 that are unclear on who benefits and what the actual political goal is?

The latter.

Save endangered wildlife prop could mean putting two birds in a cage while dumping $-37 crude on their old habitat and burning it for 8 months, for the cost of $200mil/year to contractors.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Rah! posted:

it seems like it shows up every now and then for a couple weeks, usually after some high profile crime thing in the news, and then disappears again

It gets used in the cop staging area for large events, as well. Cops not needed for traffic control or such are stuffed someplace quiet just in case. Pop up tents or a command center, a bunch of cars, and some pigs with their heads stuck in the donut trough all night.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

only food place that's been strictly enforcing it around Sac seems to be whole foods lol

Safeway doesn't enforce it, employees aren't allowed to ask customers to wear a mask.

Smaller places are very hit or miss. Either on the nothing/chinstraps and not caring about customers plan, or masked up and wanting customers to wear them also.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

ArmyGroup303 posted:

The N95 itself will be fine for both COVID-19 and smoke particles. If you have one of those 3M masks with the valve and are wearing the mask to stop the spread of COVID-19, SFFD recommended putting a cloth over the valve/sealing the valve

Valved n95s masks already feel horrible to wear for long periods, I would not recommend sealing the valve off. Covering it with cloth should be fine, and still let some of your moisture out.

Silicone half face respirators are starting to come back in stock. If you want covid and fire protection, get one of those from a name brand (Honeywell, 3M) along with 2 or 4 n99 cartridges. They're significantly more comfortable than disposable n95 masks, and the carts will last for a long time since they're only filtering normal air or smoke.

Also, the looks you get from people while shopping with one are great. Pure fear from maskless boomers never gets old.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Kenning posted:

How many of y'all have had the dream where you're in a grocery store with narrow aisles or like a crowded shopping mall and you realize you forgot your mask and also no one else is wearing a mask and you're trying to get out of there but you can't really find the exit so you're sort of pulling your hoodie over your mouth and trying to duck out of people's way?

The long term psychological consequences of this pandemic are gonna be brutal.

adoration for none posted:

I wonder if any TV or movie producers are finding that they need to suddenly start reshooting their scenes to have people wearing masks or else it won't feel realistic (or they send the wrong message).

Or we'll start seeing media start off with a title saying "in July 2019".

It's already weird watching movies and shows where people aren't wearing masks and THEY'RE GETTING RIGHT IN EACH OTHERS FACES AND JUST TALKING. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH THEM. Oh right, that was normal 6 months ago.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I take 1 from SF to la. Really a nice drive

I would murder someone after the 5th hour of being stuck behind assholes who do 10mph through turns and floor it in passing zones.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

I am not a landlord.

It's really not about the taxes, it's really about the property prices. This explains what I meant about the cap rates.
https://propertymetrics.com/blog/cap-rate/#:~:text=The%20capitalization%20rate%2C%20often%20just,%2F%241%2C000%2C000%2C%20or%2010%25.

gently caress off, you shitstain.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Has anyone sent a letter to DiFi regarding the absolute farce that was her congratulatory bullshit at the end of the Handmaid appointment hearings? I want to yell at a senile old lady through the internet but didn't know if there was a coordinated effort to call her out yet.

Why would she care?

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

So unlike in years prior, where the last-minute ballots counted in the days following e-say produced a major blue shift, this year we're getting a slight red shift. Trump's percentage has increased from ~33.0% on the night of the election to ~33.5% today. Obviously, the downticket races and propositions are headed in roughly the same direction, so it's basically all just blood and pain at this point. No real hope left for any positive results.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Disease & Disaster > California Politics Thread: No real hope left for any positive results

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Smythe posted:

One day, when I'm old and grey, I'm going to be sitting on the super train, going 800mph with my feet up like a baws, and all you doubters, haters, and losers can QQ all you want, gently caress it.

the stockton to bakersfield express

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

KittyEmpress posted:

Newsom needs to grow a pair and close poo poo. My loving store I work at has had 3 positives since November started. Multiple stores in our mall closed down because they were only staffing 2-3 people a day and one ot more of them tested positive. Why does no one seem to understand these simple facts?

People are becoming more bold with not wearing masks, and after an incident a few weeks ago (where a security guard got threatened for asking someone to wear their mask) no one is willing to ask people to wear them.

no close, only OPEN 'ER UP!

Completely unrelated, I'll drop these links here.
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/3m/7502/6827884 (7502 is medium and fits ~75% of people, 7501 is small, and 7503 is large)
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/7093B/3M160508-ND/6827876

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

GodDamnArtist posted:

Cool. Cool.

So, uh, who's going to enforce it? Because it sure as hell ain't the police or sheriffs in a lot of the Sac area.

quote:

But even before Newsom issued the order, local law enforcement vowed to defy it. Sacramento County Sheriff Scott Jones said in a statement Thursday afternoon that he would not enforce "any health or emergency orders related to curfews, staying at home, Thanksgiving or other social gatherings inside or outside the home, maximum occupancy, or mask mandates."

lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It does literally nothing worthwhile to stop or slow COVID*

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but this isn't a sensible health order. It's barely a health order. I can't stress enough how little this does to address the problem. It is a completely, utterly meaningless performative gesture that only highlights Newsom's lack of spine and the fact that our leadership has abandoned us.

So who the gently caress cares if it's enforced? He clearly only gave it in the first place to make himself look better to his side in the horse race. And now any pigs that refuse to enforce it are also just making performative gestures to signal their fascist ingroup. It's all theater. You are wasting your time being upset about it.

My gf is an overnight stocker at a grocery store. The store has been closing at her start time for months and was about to start staying open till 2am, this order kills that idea. So I don't have to worry about her being directly exposed to the public.

Other than that niche, completely loving useless.

Worthless half-measures, empty platitudes, and performative bullshit is the entirety of the neoliberal playbook.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

eSporks posted:

If nixon is on the penny where do we put Reagan?

On urinal cakes.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Gavin (and kids) exposed to the rona and will be quarantining in his McMansion for the full 2 weeks I'll bet.

no one could have predicted this

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Charlz Guybon posted:

Lol, really got a kick out of seeing the Ameriboos cosplaying as Greasers or Cowboys or whatever in the park when I visited Japan.

On a less Lol note

https://mobile.twitter.com/PeterVroom1/status/1340536535133933569

OPEN 'ER UP!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

LOL

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

Given the various leaks around her cognitive decline and her stepping down from the judiciary committee, I would imagine that she/her camp knows the writing is on the wall.

Counterpoint: Over my lifetime, half the elected presidents have been in cognitive decline.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Lmao, loving cops. I've watched them specifically gear up to go chase and beat the anti fascist protesters a few weeks in a row while buddying up with and protecting the nazis.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Celexi posted:

I haven't gone out to eat for a year and I am not missing it so far, what's with people seeing it as some sort of weird religion

The people going out to eat in the middle of pandemic are the ones that want to buy some servants to order around for an hour or two.

I miss going out to eat, but I care more about the health of me and the workers than I care about getting drink refills while eating sushi. We've been trying a lot more recipes, and got an air fryer to make crunchy things at home. We're also saving money from skipping 1-2 restaurant meal dates a week.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

fermun posted:

It's like the balance meter in Tony Hawk Pro Skater. To keep a grind/manual going as long as possible, you need to make sure you never get too far to one side or the other. Through careful management, we can keep this thing at its current level almost indefinitely.

Can't let the death meter get too low, or bad things happen, like less death.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/byelsieramos/status/1353877029993631744

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

CopperHound posted:

Okay, I looked up the top two primary act. It doesn't apply to governor.

I like that Laryy Flynt was listed as a Publisher.

Choose one voting is awful, this should be a checkbox poll.

Unironically. It's the best voting system. Easy to understand, easy to count, and works with dumb huge lists like this.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Cicero posted:

Yes, much like civil rights activists performing sit-ins were simply deciding that laws don't apply to them "if they don't like them". How dare they!

Breaking the law to give people civil rights, and breaking the law to deny people civil rights, are not morally equivalent actions.

they are if your only morality comes from the legal system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

Diane Feinstein has a massive stroke and turns to jelly in front of a CSPAN audience.

It's Arnold vs Newsom for her seat.

Who do you vote for?

She runs for reelection and wins anyways.

Anyone who suggests that maybe she shouldn't be in the senate with her brain dripping out of her ears is scolded for hating the oldest woman senator.