Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Orly Taitz is going to be on the ballot again. She's in the primary for Attorney General, and has a huge spiel about OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE and nullifying federal treaties and statutes in the voter information pamphlet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Like, can you back this statement up?
I don't remember anything about homeless shelters in particular, but under Newsom the city outlawed sleeping overnight in Golden Gate Park and offered to amend the situation by buying a one-way Greyhound ticket out of town for homeless people, should they jump through the administrative hoops to get it.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

That Irish Guy posted:

Hope everyone here's staying safe, what with the state turning into satan's fiery shithole. :ohdear:
Seriously.

Agriculture and our rivers are kinda hosed this Summer - snowpack is at 3-10% of normal for this time of year
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man holy crap, has it really already been four to five years since those went up?

Hell, I still recall the "JOBS JOBS JOBS VOTE FIORINA 2010" sign that was somewhere in Stanislaus County on I-5 in mid-2011.

Those ones have been up forever. I remember seeing the "FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS" on a trip through the central valley when I was a kid.

Apparently now flood irrigation in a desert is a good thing because it "recharges the aquifer" and isn't really inefficient (skip to 32:45)
http://www.kqed.org/a/forum/R201404220900

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

etalian posted:

This is pretty much the best article I read on the Bay Area housing problem:
http://techcrunch.com/2014/04/14/sf-housing/

There must not be any good articles on the Bay Area housing problem then, because it's really dumb to blame a single breeding colony of burrowing owls for lack of density in an area covered by single family homes and sprawling business parks.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Hey now, sometimes you just have time to read the headlines.

Go to Mountain View, look at how land is used there, then tell me why anything in this paragraph belongs in the discussion at all.

quote:

The Google Bus protesters have said that the company should build housing on its campus, but the Mountain View city council has explicitly forbidden Google from doing just that. They’ve argued that it’s to protect the city’s burrowing owl population. (The city council even created a feral cat taskforce last week to protect the owls.)

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Family Values posted:

The people that live in SF and commute to the South Bay are not doing so for lack of housing in the South Bay. They want the 'culture' of SF and are willing to prioritize their entertainment over such considerations as the environmental impact of living 50 miles from work.

If Mt. View built more apartments the people that commute from SF would not move into them, Google employees that already live in the South Bay would.

Cupertino is adding more high density housing. There are at least two large developments underway, but I bet it will have a negligible effect on the SF commuters.

Yes. The gripe about the owls is an uninformed, petty non-sequitur for multiple reasons and not a great way to start an article if you want to be taken seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

It is an amusing-sounding detail that fits into the much bigger picture the journalist was trying to paint: thousands of development-stymieing decisions, each of which may seem reasonable on their own, which accumulate into a clusterfuck that has brought us this frustrating state of affairs where liberals are literally angry about people taking busses.

The owls are a loving metaphor.

It's a bad metaphor and a lovely attempt at click bait. An author who enjoys digging up historic details as much as him should have been able to figure out why there are municipal and regional ordinances about protecting burrowing owls and how, even if you developed over every last piece of their habitat, it wouldn't drop rents in San Francisco at all.