Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

As someone considering moving from Long Beach, CA to Austin, I'm very much looking forward to it. I've visited the latter multiple times, and as far as I can tell, it has better beer, prettier women who are way less fake, friendlier and more down-to-earth people, and a way more interesting culture. Not to mention actual seasons.

gently caress SoCal, basically.

As someone about to make the opposite move (from Austin to SoCal, but San Diego specifically), gently caress Austin. I will admit they have a good beer scene, a good tech job market, and good BBQ. That's it. Can't speak to the dating scene as I was married before I moved here, but the friendliness is mostly fake. Maybe down on South Congress there's a lot of happy hipsters, but everywhere north of that is full of SoCal expats or Texas lifers who's first question is "which college did you attend" or "which church do you attend". If they don't like your answer then they'll continue to be nice to your face but never more than that. Also, the only seasons in Austin are winter and summer; nice spring/fall weather lasts about a month if you're lucky. The rest of the time be prepared for sweltering heat, biting wind, or both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Secession is definitely not going to happen, but I'm sure we'll continue to see "soft" secession where states vote and implement more ways to rely on themselves or coordinate between themselves rather than depend on the federal government. Sadly this is exactly what many republicans want. So it will be interesting to see them put their money where the mouth is when it comes to "states rights". Of course they'll be as hypocritical as they want to be, so if California tries to get more freedom I'm sure they'll vote against it. Cool cool cool

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Our role as Californians is to smugly drag the rest of the country kicking and screaming into the future by insisting on our own stricter rules and reforms and just being better at everything, and being 20% of the entire country so they can't just ignore us.

This I can get behind.