Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I fall into the T in STEM. I make almost 55K and will have no hope of owning a house before thirty. To be fair I will be thirty in a year, and only started making that kind of money in the last year. I have no savings and most of my income goes to my student loans, rent, and hospital bills.

What is hosed up is that if I could get a mortgage it would cost me less per moth than renting. Right now a small two bedroom house (800 square feet) is running 2500 a month or more. The same house would cost me no more than 1800 a month if it was a mortgage payment. I know property taxes would be added to that, but it is still less. If I had 20k in savings I would buy something, but it will take me 5-10 years of savings and no disasters to get enough of a nest egg to purchase something.

the prospect of moving isn't very promising either as I would take a huge pay cut moving to another state. So I'll just have to keep renting and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Will this state become ungovernable again if the Democrats lose their supermajority?

Yes. They potentially already lost it as well. gently caress you Leeland Yee!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

I'm actually fine not owning, I prefer renting. It's much easier and fits better with my mobile lifestyle. Though my fiancee and I are entertaining the idea of buying a condo. I'm gonna be 32 soon and I'll take that. However, I'm incredibly lucky and through the superpower of being a white male I've managed to spectacularly fail upwards. It's pretty awesome to be me but looking at my friends and other people I know, my experience is very much the outlier.

I feel the same way (except for failing upward). I do IT managed services for small businesses, and have had to work pretty hard to get where I am. I know being a white middle class born male doesn't hurt though. My wife gets pretty depressed that we won't be able to own a house for a newborn daughter to grow up in, but I see it more of a sign of the times than a personal failing. My peers, who all have degrees in STEM fields are generally much worse off than I am, and have no hope of starting a family or living the "american dream" anytime in the next 5-10 years. I don't like bitching about my situation when I am in so much better shape than others, but it just feels like I should be further than I am.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Bizarro Watt posted:

Does anyone know the current status on the high-speed rail project?

Going nowhere quickly! :downsrim:

Seriously, It hasn't even passed a planning stage at this point. It won't even start construction until 2018 at best, maybe completed by 2025. My children might get to use it one day.