Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Which was probably still cooler than what I experience in Texas.

Well the south bay is only "horrible" while Texas is actually horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

But you can't buy a piece of poo poo west of the 405 for less than 1 million.

If you want a place literally adjacent to a refinery in El Segundo you might be able to float 700K.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

nm posted:

Remember though that ag props up the central valley (Sacramento exempted) and that is already the poorest part of the state.
Without at, Fresno, for example, is even more hosed.
Residents may be able to drink water, but they'll be less likely to have jobs than even today.
This isn't to say at should get a free ride, they waste a lot of water, but we can't just say gently caress ag. Also, most of the food you eat that isn't coern, wheat, or beef is probably from the valley unless it is imported.

Ag water subsidies are probably the least efficient way to battle poverty in the central valley.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Nothing in the world is more funny than Northern Californians acting like they don't ship in water from across the state.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

cheese posted:

Not quite the same. All the Yosemite/Hetch Hetchy water would end up in SF bay via the San Joaquin Delta anyway. In CA, moving water on the east-west axis is very different than the north-south axis (in general, and with some exceptions).

Good to hear there are inherent rules of water piping on when it is and isn't okay. You're allowed to pipe water two watersheds over but god help you if it's north-south.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

A snapshot of drought:

Looks like some beautiful August weather in the high Sierra.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is it constitutional to pass a ballot of attainder.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

The only thing that got any new higher density buildings in LA built is that they're all luxury units taking advantage of the crazy market.

Nobody does teardowns because then they'd have to pay modern property taxes.

Yet another interesting way Prop 13 has hosed California for decades.

No one has ever built cheap new buildings. The only way to get lower price apartments is to have older units. The fact that people are working hard to nimby everything is going to be a major problem as California goes forward.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Litany Unheard posted:

President Gavin Newsom :v:

You know he wants it.

So did Gray Davis.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Seattle needs more cheap housing.

Building housing at any price creates more cheap housing.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FMguru posted:

Free-flowing water is an important part of many tourist and recreation attractions - a sector which is a bigger part of the state's GNP than agriculture.

Hmmm, mentioning economic concerns means you can only take this to it's logical extreme. It's either laissez faire Somalia or full communism. Choose one.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

SlimGoodbody posted:

You maniacs haven't earned that privilege. My girlfriend and I visited our friends in SF not too long ago on a weekend when the bridge was closed for maintenance, so the BART was running until 2 or 3 AM. We left the bar to go home and it was like the scene in loving Batman Begins where the League of Shadows gassed the Narrows. The subway platform was packed, shoulder to shoulder.

The tile floor was slick and slippery with sweat and urine, which did not stop a half dozen couples from laying down on it to straight up rut like feral cats. A group of six guys relentlessly sexually harassed and rape-threatened our female friend for the whole train ride. We got in a shouting match with them and not a single person acknowledged that this squad of dudes were straight up trying to take her clothes off.

We switched trains, and two guys on the new train immediately got in a fist fight, then proceeded to storm back and forth, screaming, punching and kicking walls, windows, and chairs. When we got off that train, HUNDREDS of people started running every which way. My friend got shoved into a turnstile and knocked over it, with her purse exploding everywhere. She tearfully gathered her belongings from the floor while people kicked them around, finally screamed "gently caress!" and stormed towards the escalator. Of course, some guy started chasing us, yelling at her to smile cause she's beautiful. She tells him to gently caress off, and some total stranger lady screams at her to "Work on your loving attitude! Get the gently caress over here!" We just bolted and hailed a cab. When we got to her house, a drunk driver missed her exiting the cab by two inches.

So basically, the Bay Area is barely a loving civilization and you can't even have two extra hours of public transportable access without going full Lord of the Flies. That's not even touching on the shitheads at the bar and how no bars take cards.

gently caress San Francisco.

That's normal BART nub

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also for LA the Santa Monica area is the single biggest employment concentration so by the definition of "city limits only" has a lot of reverse commuting from LA to West Hollywood, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, or Burbank. These are all artifacts of the loose city of LA boundaries.

Edit:
Here is population vs. employment density for LA.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 10, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I currently live in Zürich, Switzerland but will be moving to Riverside, CA in about a year. This thread certainly has been an...interesting...read for attempting to understand what my new home will be like.

I hope it's a really truly great job/significant other.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Riverside honestly didn't look that bad when I toured around it. Lots of huge roads, and no public transport, but that's basically America. Go forth and tell me everything wrong with it if you must.

No, most of America is nice.

Edit: I mean really the problems are just traffic, smog, temperature, and the people who live there. It would be nice without those and some more rain.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Jesus didn't tap t-shirt.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also if you're going to be faculty at UC riverside I have a few friends who work there. They all say fantastic undergrads, so-so grad students, and great faculty. Get yourself a good post-doc.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Oh god drat this drought. I always lol when the "agriculture takes up 80% of the water!" meme gets dropped. I've heard this bullshit many many times. Why does EVERYONE believe this?

Like data and poo poo?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Hmmm, I'm very concerned about some of the facts being posted. Maybe I'll ask some questions so everyone can know how concerned I really am.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

No one can own a cloud. That is true. But how could the tragedy of the commons apply to a cloud? Doesn't it only apply to things like rivers and lakes?

Hmm, those are some interesting questions you're asking.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

So what you are saying is that water is a communal good and this is the reason why it is susceptible to tragedy of the commons. if it wasn't communal and actually had an owner, tragedy of the commons would not apply. Over grazing (the Tragedy) doesnt happen on the privately owned pasture, only on the communal (common) one?

That's what you are trying to say right?

Yeah man thats right.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Some logic bombs ITT.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Leperflesh was talking about people DYING of dehydration. He didn't mention people who were thirsty. His exact quote was: "literally die of thirst". So, I'm afraid he needs actual deaths due to starvation to prove his point and not look like a fool.

o poo poo

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

e_angst posted:

It's pretty obvious at this point that this drought isn't going to end until Arthur C. Korn returns to the Yorba Linda Water District.

(Interesting fact, I had to google the guy's name as I wasn't sure if he was still on the water district board or not, and found this page on Transparent California that gave his pension/benefits amount, as well as that of any other public California employee. It was surprisingly modest for a water district big-wig. So at least that's one place where California is being relatively cost-conscious.)

The tyranny of Michael J. Beverage may never end. So much pain caused by such a mustache.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Back Hack posted:

As someone who comes from a state who's problem is getting rid of an over abundance of water, is there a specific reason why there are so many Californians trying to farm in extremely arid or desert like areas other than because they have "water rights"?

Even places where it is a genuine desert, irrigating in places like the Coachella valley creates by far the most productive ($/acre) farmland in the US. It's not sustainable for a number of reasons but no the productivity is absolutely unmatched.

Edit:

California cropland value 2014 was 10140 $/acre. National average was 4100 $/acre. The $10140 is aggregate over the state, with by far the highest values coming from irrigated desert in the south.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 21, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Armani posted:

I love everything about OC except it's price...and I have to move, soon. Where do poor Orange citizens usually migrate to? :/

Nine oh nine.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My experience with cars at stop lights is a car will get the the light a full three seconds before you get there and then just stay parked. You slow down, stop, put down a foot, they gingerly wave you through the intersection and then you get back up to speed because they're too stupid to know the rules of the road.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

One of the major issues with allowing cyclists to treat stop signs as yields is that this creates uncertainty for other roadway users.

Bicycles cannot quickly accelerate or decelerate, nor can they swerve to avoid obstructions and maintain the same trajectory. Where collisions occur within an intersection are called "conflict points" in traffic engineering (where movement paths cross), and bicycles are particularly in danger here precisely because they have difficulty avoiding these conflict points or adjusting their path of travel if conditions suddenly change or the other roadway users don't behave as expected in the intersection.

This makes it even more important for cyclists to treat the stop as a stop. By behaving in a predictable way at a stop-controlled intersection, other roadway users can more easily anticipate the cyclist's movements and take them safely into account and the intersection can operate in a more smooth manner.

Bicycle-related traffic enforcement is typically woefully underserved, and in so doing tends to create resentment against the cyclist community, so this is a much-needed campaign that I hope brings better compliance long-term.

Except this has been shown to be untrue.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yes, this is exactly why cyclist compliance with stops becomes an issue when enforcement lags.

However, it being a pain in the rear end to start from a complete stop really doesn't trump safety, which is the primary goal of all of this. You will never convince the engineers responsible for designing the bicycle facilities that trading off safety in exchange for a little convenience is a good solution.

Keep in mind that we're talking about city that already has an abundance of streets with 20%+ grades. The mechanical energy spent being made to stop at stop signs shouldn't even rate compared to that.

So clearly draconian enforcement is the key?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

The commenters on Palo Alto Online are however not trolls and actually that awful of human beings.

Same with Berkeleyside.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

LOL at thinking the freeways in LA will be an improvement. Or the attitudes, or, for that matter, the cost of living.

Basically everything about living in LA is an improvement over the bay area.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Berkeley is full of assholes.

Edit: But seriously I've never seen people so quick to get visibly furious at service employees over and seeming slight as in Berkeley. Everyone needs to be a goddamn princess all the time.

Also AC transit is garbage and bike boulevards are the worst bike path system.

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Aug 10, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rah! posted:

99% of Oakland residents are never in any danger while living in Oakland.

The violent crime rate is 19.9 per 1000 per year so maybe 98% are never in any danger per year if you could possibly try to spin that as not horrendous.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The murder rate might be 6 times higher than the national average but honestly how often do you hear about people getting murdered in Rockridge?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

Problem is BART really doesn't have good coverage and do to ever increasing population/traffic the SF light rail part of the muni system gets slower each year due to not being grade separated.

Also outside of the SF corridor BART trains run at a pathetic frequency.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

etalian posted:

It was originally intended as commuter rail type system to the Caltrain hence the really long waits outside the city.

I like this fantasy map of the BART:

That's a whole lot of trains into the boonies and still one track through Oakland.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The best part is not only is it completely demented in the most Berkeley way possible it's also absurdly passive-agressive in the most Berkeley way possible.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

More than likely GOP and therefore more likely to be anti-urban/pro-ag.

Hmm, way to dismiss the largest progressive center of California as "more than likely GOP".

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

For the 405 I've only taken it north to Reseda and down to Wilshire. Are there other spots on it as bad as the first few miles after 101 interchange or is that about it for bad slogs?

Going north from LAX towards the 10 in the mornings can be insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kenning posted:

Burritos should contain neither rice, nor potatoes, as the starch component is provided by the tortilla.

Burritos are lots of things to many people however the Del Taco bean and cheese burrito might just be the best burrito.