Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Armani posted:

Thanks for starting this thread up - I feel the employment situation in California is completely hosed right now. I have a friend bailing to another state because -three jobs- isn't enough to make rent where he lives and he does not want roomates at all.

The guy I am currently seeing wants to become a K-12 teacher but not in this state. He feels California fucks the good teachers while giving horrid teachers permanent paying tenure, that government pensions to retires is killing the state, high taxes are a loving crime because the job creators will leave, etc. He also is pissed off at Unions in general and that takes some serious deprogramming to get that kind of hate down.

Doesn't help that he was raised by AnCap household and yet his family are all government employees bringing home like 7k a month.

I dunno what to tell him because I honestly don't know what's to be done. I have a lot of childhood friends leaving en masse and it sucks. I know I am going to have to follow suit soon. :smith:

A bit E/N but there you have it.

Good god, where do you live? Outside of 2009 pretty much my entire peer group held down steady, reasonably well paying jobs from then until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

withak posted:

Moving your operation to the middle of nowhere in Texas or Arizona is a pretty good way to filter out any employees willing (and able) to change jobs to stay in CA. Whether these employees likely represent the good part or the bad part of ones workforce is left as an exercise to the reader.

When my company did this all the executives moved to CA :v:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
That's true, but the rank and file aren't bankrolling insane bullshit ballot initiatives and horrible "disruptive" startups.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Austin was fun to visit and all but holy poo poo the amount of casual racism we encountered in a week (especially when traveling a few miles out of the city) basically turned us off forever.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
People in RSF have had avocado and other groves as long as I can remember so they can classify their huge lot as a farm. gently caress these people.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
It's Rancho Santa Fe, you can't even have a mailbox.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Agreed, I'm fine paying modest grid-tie fees because I'm not a baby who doesn't understand how power grids work, but lowering tier 3 rates is pretty fucktarded.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Ron Jeremy posted:

I splurge on eggs and get em at a cage free farm stand place. Local honey too. Even with the higher price, eggs are still a great source of cheap protein and I eat them almost every day.

How much are they? I buy flats of 5 dozen from ours for like 20$. As long as you just get regular pastured cage free eggs and not XXL EXTREME JUMBO EGGS they're drat reasonable.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Also it blew my mind to see the barely functional car I donated 10 years ago driving along on the freeway last week with some wacky rasta guy behind the wheel. Stay cool rasta guy.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Klaus88 posted:

The sheer blinding whiteness of this post causes passing airplanes to crash.

Hey man you're the one with the 88 in your username

PS it was a Mercedes

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Leperflesh posted:

"Barely functional" often equals "easily repairable."

Sorta, it was an 80s turbodiesel, I ran biodiesel on it for 2 years and no longer had the means to make it anymore :v:

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

French Canadian posted:

San Diego's rent to income ratio isn't so great, mind you. There isn't a ton of good location available so it's bumped prices up. And wages are not near Google, etc. Qualcomm also just laid a bunch of people off too. But if you've got some biotech skills you can find 80-100k jobs. But again, you'll be suffering a 45+ minute commute if you want a house for less than 500k...

Not if you bought in 2011, booya. It's a good time to work in biotech too, I'm starting 2016 with a sizeable raise and keeping my 10 minute commute.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Man I fuckin love being a 10 minute drive away from Ranch 99, Mitsuwa, Zion Market, and various Indian and Mexican markets. The people in that article are doing California wrong.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Kenning posted:

I've said it before in this thread: I cannot loving wait for Feinstein to die.

She's the shittiest thing to happen to this state in a long time.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Goddamn, I should have broken into sales.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Meanwhile Apple has billions parked offshore.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
How the gently caress are anti-BDS laws even constitutional?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Issa's gonna get wrecked, it's glorious

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I work in Pharma R&D in California and way too many of you want to burn me to death

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Sorry, you're working for the evil profit machine, which makes you an unfortunate but necessary casualty of war. Once we starve and slay the beast, full utopia now will break out. For profit medical research is the only thing holding us back.

This guy never ran a JV with academia

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Lol what pre-med path did you take? When I graduated I ended up with ~90 credits in biology and chemistry alone.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
All that commercial farmland in Mountain View!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

ComradeCosmobot posted:

OTOH Full Circle Farm is a place that exists now.

Growing weed at a community garden would be fantastic.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I remember it going down the same way, it was pretty emblematic of how class got glossed over during the election by the DNC, and everyone who was negatively affected by the 2008 recession and never made it back just kinda got ignored.

I also remember the weird racism angle.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I'd imagine a lot of that shortfall could be made up from withholding Federal outlays, but lol Civil War 2

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
God I can't wait to protest on Issa's lawn

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Walka Blocka Shame posted:

Agreed, though I suspect that pharma and the healthcare industry as a whole would do their best to make us a cautionary tale. They'd probably be willing to accept dramatic losses in the short term to ensure that single payer went belly up and the capital class would support them in that endeavor. One thing that I've gained an appreciation for lately is how insanely dirty the establishment fights in order to maintain the status quo.

My work had a grand opening of a new site and had all the bigwigs visit, and our CEO probably spent more time talking to anyone who would listen about the evils of single-payer than anything we actually did for the company.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

silence_kit posted:

I'm shocked that posters in this thread are against the death penalty given that many posters periodically fantasize in this thread about the execution of Republicans and violent secession of California from the Union whenever their favorite politicians are not in power in the Federal government.

So much for the tolerant left!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Sorry to hear that, dude.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My local political group has utterly ignored the Dems and we are ready to bathe in Issa's blood, he's so hosed

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Watching people go to insane lengths to carry groceries without dropping ten cents on a bag is absolutely worth every hassle of the bag ban.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

The Aardvark posted:

The latest Chapo is an interview with Geneviéve Jones-Wright, who is running for DA in San Diego.

I totally forgot that we have this guy as our Sheriff.

Geneviéve loving rules and anyone in SD County should vote for her.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Ling Ling Shi will restore America’s heart! gently caress the 10 great chaos!!

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

predicto posted:

Kreep is a birther, and a racist, and a sexist, and corrupt with election finances, and just generally an evil right wing nut job. He needs to be off the bench.

If you need a judicial candidate for that race, Victor Torres is both exceptionally qualified and cool as hell in person.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Tarezax posted:

got a text from the Genevieve Jones campaign for Issa's district. Was already planning to vote for her but I forgot to fill out my ballot this weekend. Guess I'll take care of it tonight

Thanks for your support! I’ve been throwing time, sweat, and money into her campaign cause she’s an amazing candidate and we have a solid shot at winning this. gently caress Stephans and Dumanis.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Don’t worry, with the political realities of Californian any goon expecting a sweet sweet payday when gramps finally kicks it will still get to keep it.

We’d be lucky if we got prop 13 phased out over 100 years.

Lol this is basically me except gramps kicked it and the entire estate’s tax basis is about the same as my condo I bought at the bottom of the recession.

So many Californians are wrapped up in Prop 13’s generational gravy train it’s going to be insanely difficult to repeal

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The only robocalls/messages are for Genevieve Jones and Gavin Newsome, which meant I could cheer up some poor media intern's day by saying I'd vote for Jones.

I’ve thrown a lot of time, sweat, and money into the Jones-Wright campaign cause she’s great and I appreciate your support.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yeah at least our propositions went alright. If current trends hold though? Fuuuuuuck my county.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Good lord, this county is full of assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Yeah looks like it’s going to the courts.