Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Good news! Zeitgeist NIMBYism won and their precious sunshine won't be harmed.

Also Scott Weiner in yet another attemt to extend last call to 4am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

It has a patio and people don't care if you smoke weed there, so it's basically Pilsner Inn but the bartenders have attitude???

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Eight.

• Jeff Denham
  • David Valadao
  • Steve Knight
  • Ed Royce
  • Dana Rohrbacher
  • Mimi Walters
  • Darrel Issa
  • Duncan Hunter

Forgetting
  • Dianne Feinstein

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

East Palo Alto

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Stripe, a payments startup, is apparently [url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/us/california-today-stripe-yimby-housing.html]throwing $1mm YIMBY's way[/ur]

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Well it looks like The Chron was just like "hey let's help Ron Conway and also be bad at journalism" https://medium.com/@JaneKimCA/no-filter-6f4247335455

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Or for that matter, Atlanta

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

1. Nobody likes taking buses period. This is more or less true across all socio-economic dimensions. They're slow, they don't get you out of traffic (I mean, they *could* if everybody were using buses/carpooling, but...) and if they don't come on time it's a huge stress and can really gently caress over people working jobs where their arrival time is strictly monitored. Buses are essentially a last resort for anybody using our services. Of course we're because we have a deficit, this is the first thing we're cutting back. :suicide:

I miss the bus-only lanes on the highway when I lived in stockholm, cutting my commute in at least half over what a car took in rush hour.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Desalination takes a huge amount of electricity, and also requires dumping super-briney saltwater back into the ocean somewhere. It's not great.

Desalination uses a ton of heat. Luckily, datacenters generate a ton of heat so we could use bitcoin miners and cat gifs to make drinking water if we really wanted to

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Apparently Uber, Lyft & Doordash are passing a ballot initiative for 2020 to exempt them from AB5

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1189262172980944896

Working title: the Protect App-Based Drivers & Services Act

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Vapeboi Duncan Hunter is gonna resign after the holidays

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Or you know, Vox could have just hired them all on as full time employees with benefits like they deserve to be, and still made money hand over fist because paying for those people is a drop in the loving bucket for a gigantic media conglomerate.

But nah let's blame California and ~burdensome regulations~ that have forced a poor, multi-billion dollar company to let hundreds of contractors they were underpaying go. :jerkbag:

Vox is owned (in part) by SkyNBCUniversalComcast so it's not like they couldn't just hire the writers if they wanted to.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

https://sfist.com/2019/12/19/pro-trump-trans-woman-emerges-as-challenger-for-scott-wieners-state-senate-seat/

quote:

So, you can't get much more San Francisco: the three candidates for the state senate seat are a gay man, a queer woman of color, and a trans woman, and none of them can agree on much.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

ProperGanderPusher posted:

I always call myself a San Franciscan abroad, because identifying as a Californian invites lame jokes about how I probably surf to work and go to Disneyland every weekend. I got one guy start earnestly asking how they can get in on some sweet Silicon Valley VC capital for their business idea, but everyone laughed at him for it, including me.

I ran in to someone when I was in Sweden, who started off claiming they were from the bay area. To which I responded "Oh yeah? Me too" to make conversation "Actually i'm more from like Napa, where in the bay are you from?" "SF" "Ah... well I'm from Redding"

like what

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kenning posted:

If you can't stand on the highest point in your county and see the Bay, it's not the Bay Area.

edit: I recognize that this lets Livermore in, and I'm sorry about that.

Also lets Santa Cruz in too

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Breakfast tacos are superior to breakfast burritos since you can have a couple different ones instead of one big one.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

isn't that the Java Judge?

Yep

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Goodpancakes posted:

Soooo I shouldn't move to Placerville? Because the plan is to move to Placerville

How much do you like meth and hicks?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

My partner is very happy to not live there anymore, but my inlaws are there. It's nice that it's close to tahoe (heading up there tomorrow for snow) but they keep getting tweakers breaking into their shed and stuff like that.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Highbrow Slick posted:

I drive through Placerville a couple times a year to/from Tahoe. What amazes me is how few roads appear to go in or out of Placerville. The 50 comes to an absolute crawl there no matter what traffic is like in the surrounding area. To the point where the last time up I just took the winding roads of 49/88 to avoid as much of it as I could.

The traffic light certainly doesn't loving help, but i imagine it's because there's no space to put in on/offramps to main street from 50

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Because the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission told them to. Nevermind that it's been lovely for years and we're looking at a drought in 2020

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Please let it not be Xavier Becerra, he’s doing actual AG work

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I had a bad revelation - will London Breed run for senate in 22? Or will she wait until someone finds Feinstein's phylactery?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Also Placerville isn’t in it but in El Dorado county

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Monowhatever posted:

Sac State finally stopped classes, shut down all next week with online classes starting the following week. just for fun though classes still happening today and tomorrow. I'm gonna go take my midterm in a packed room of about 35 people today. so you things are great.

My sister-in-law is a professor there, she's a bit bitter over the lack of warning for that

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kenning posted:

Goddamn I hate Pelosi.

Vote for or donate to Shahid Buttar

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

cheese posted:

Sounds like LA is loving up, Bay Area (at least south bay) is taking it seriously. Got on the freeway this morning at 11am and you could have landed a plane on it there were so few cars. It was like zombie apocalypse levels of empty. Guess it helps that its been raining off and on the past week. Went for a long walk in a park and pretty much everyone was giving each other wide berths, including stepping off the sidewalk or the trail to let someone pass. Good job.

Yesterday Rodeo beach out in the headlands was packed to the gills tho

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Sydin posted:

Does the state/county not have the power to close beaches to the public?

Not all are on state or county land - GGNRA and Presidio are federal for example.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Where I work, the nearby employees from another business were playing loving basketball on their lunch break in their yard. Couldn't loving believe it.

lol i saw people playing basketball in the panhandle on friday

at least one person was playing wearing purple dish gloves to be safe!

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Aardvark posted:

Anyone else's city banning reusable bags but stores still charging 10c per bag?

Safeway at market/church in SF had the security guard yelling "NO REUSABLE BAGS ALLOWED INSIDE" to the line outside. Dunno if they charge at the register, I self-checked out and hit "0 bags" because if you're gonna yell at me like that i'm not even gonna bother trying. Gus's only bagging into their bags, but not charging.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Haven't seen gas prices come down that much yet, probably due to california having a different blend than the rest of the country + switching to summer gas

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

WOWEE ZOWEE posted:

So how are people doing here? Still employed? Got sick? Got their landlords to suspend rent?

Both me and my partner are WFH and both are employers are hiring. Healthy but slowly going stir-crazy. Didn't ask my landlord to suspend the rent, currently trying to figure out how I can get them to let us have a pet or at least get a better dishwasher.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Centrist Committee posted:

Would be cool if we took this depression-induced drop in traffic to rip out the freeways and replace the interstate highway system with trains. Hella cool.

Caltrans has already moved the 101 Alemany project to replace bridge decks by the 101/280 split in SF from July to "late april" since there's no traffic to be disrupted.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

iguana's has the burrito with the french fries in it instead of rice, so they are clearly superior

california vs mission burrito preference will be the shibboleth that sets off the norcal/socal civil war

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

light pico to make room for ketchup

what the gently caress

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

BeAuMaN posted:

I mean we are talking burrito elitism so why not steak elitism. :shrug:

al pastor > carnitas > steak burrito

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Xlorp posted:

How has no one brought up the fugliness of highway intersections where # and name swap randomly. Take the Hollywood and Ventura interchange. Please. Describe it for a traveling visitor. You may use the numbers 101, 134, and 170. Make sure to call out which specific directions cannot be followed at this juncture. Do not use phrases such as non-euclidean, or wrong-way concurrence.

Sir this is a habit burger

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Yum Brands purchased The Habit in January.

We may get a Pizza Hut/Taco Bell/KFC/The Habit spot some day

i can't wait to be able get a crunchwrap supreme, grilled chicken sando on sourdough, 12 pc bucket and breadsticks with a side of arterioscleriosis all from the same location

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Habit burger isn’t about their burger, it’s about the chicken sando. The burger on sliced sourdough is good too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Who are all you people with these slightly okay landlords.

My landlord is a mexican family that owns a few properties (prob under 10), but none of them live in my building (6 units in the mission). The handyman fixes stuff on time and when our dishwasher broke they during the pandemic they were very chill with us getting the dishwasher we wanted instead of the cheapest GE poo poo they had initially put there. Absolutely no issues putting in Monkeybrains in our unit (in fact, there was already an antenna on the roof).

Our lease is short and says absolutely nothing compared to the one I had with a corporate management company before, i'm pretty sure I could move a load-bearing wall with this lease. The DMV asked my partner "so where's the rest of the lease" when she needed to prove her address, that's how thin it is.