Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for April, 2014?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 5 3.60%
:colbert: Randy Orton (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.72%
Daniel Bryan (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) 112 80.58%
Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) 3 2.16%
:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) 1 0.72%
:britain: Magnus (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
Eric Young (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) 8 5.76%
:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 2 1.44%
:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) 6 4.32%
:shrug: Are These The Only Options? (Indifferent Champion) 1 0.72%
Total: 139 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Last month, Kazuchika Okada became the winningest champion in PSP history, as he became the first ever six-months consecutive winner of a monthly champion's poll. In addition to this, he has also been PSP's champion for 10 out of the previous 15 months worth of polls. Okada has seemed unstoppable for a long time now, and though he's certainly been helped by a mixture of weak or ineffective champions/booking from other promotions he has also delivered quality matches on a consistent basis in addition to having a great character. Can his reign of dominance continue?

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone:

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Once again, April saw no Heavyweight Title defenses from Okada, who continued to make his presence known in tag matches but once again took a backseat to the Intercontinental Champion as the main event. He did have a singles match against Tama Tonga but really the big story of the month was the set-up of a feud between Okada and the newest member of the Bullet Club - AJ Styles. Attacking Okada from behind and hitting him with the Styles Clash, the debuting former TNA Champion declared that Okada was still a "young boy" like he had been during his brief time in TNA, and that AJ was going to prove it by taking his belt from him. An underwhelming month for the usually high performance Okada, but hopefully one that sets things up well for the future.

:colbert: Randy Orton (FORMER WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Orton's Championship run ended as much of it had gone - a background afterthought to Triple H shenanigans. Defending his belt in the main event of Wrestlemania 30 against Batista and Daniel Bryan, Orton was even the 3rd wheel come the climax of the match when Daniel Bryan made Batista tap out. Orton of course should have immediately gotten the rematch, even if he had been the one to be beaten, and perhaps more should have been made of the fact that he was never actually beaten to lose the title he did after-all win cleanly in his match against John Cena. Instead, Orton was immediately wrapped up into the reformation of Evolution and a feud with The Shield, which is exciting for entirely different reasons.

Daniel Bryan (WWE World Heavyweight Champion) - Daniel Bryan's long journey to not only get the WWE's top belt but also KEEP it culminated at Wrestlemania 30. Whether that was the plan all along or not (it wasn't), it was certainly the best time for it to happen, as this incredibly important show ended with Daniel Bryan triumphant and YESing along with tens of thousands of exuberant fans. After delivering two MotN performances at Mania, nobody could argue that anybody deserved that belt more than Daniel Bryan. There would be no stripping of the belt or sudden betrayal/cash-in either. Bryan won, and the next night on Raw he continued his celebrations as his main enemies argued amongst themselves and found their efforts to team up on him derailed when Bryan's former bitter foes The Shield arrived on the scene to back him up (well, more because they wanted to beat the poo poo out of HHH, Orton and Batista). Taking a week off to enjoy his honeymoon, Bryan returned to an angle against former best friend Kane, an idea that many found underwhelming but which has proven to be quite effectively handled so far after Bryan took a brutal beatdown (sadly in part to explain his absence as he mourned the loss of his father). With Stephanie filling in for HHH as the hated authority figure, Kane running amok, Brie in peril and Bryan supposedly not at 100%, WWE has effectively managed to make the guy who beat every single top guy in the company, won two great matches at Wrestlemania AND won the company's top belt into a very compelling underdog. A lot of Bryan's time in WWE has been mismanaged, but right now everything seems to be working and we're getting great matches and plenty of entertainment out of it. Enough so to earn your vote this month?

Adam Cole (ROH World Champion) - Adam Cole is an easily overlooked champion, unfortunately. He's a very good wrestler who hasn't even hit 25 yet and thus probably has years to improve and hone his craft further. But he's also the champion of a promotion whose television is seemingly rarely watched (at least on these forums), where live PPVs have been replaced by day-after Video on Demand, relying on DVD purchases for people to pick up on what makes him so good. That worked for ROH 5-6 years ago when word of mouth and mail-order DVDs were enough to pick up buzz, but in an age of streaming PPVs and television it is harder for people to accept this as the way to follow a promotion. Cole, meanwhile, continues to deliver in the ring, and this month he finally put to bed the questions over the legitimacy of his title reign. Defending his belt against "Real" World Champion Jay Briscoe, he defeated the man who never technically lost his own title and firmly established that yes he IS the ROH World Champion, and nobody else.

:kamina: Satoshi Kojima (NWA World Heavyweight Champion) - Kojima started the month in tag action, when he and Hiroyoshi Tenzan (Tencozy) defeated Rob Conway and Jax Dane to win the NWA World Tag Team Championship. The next week, Kojima defended his NWA World Heavyweight Championship against former champion Rob Conway in a singles match and once again defeated Conway, whom he had beaten for the title in the first place. Tencozy then successfully defended their new tag titles against Conway and Dane, making April a VERY good month for Satoshi Kojima and a very bad one for Bruce Sharp.

:britain: Magnus (FORMER TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - It's all over, Magnus' short reign with the TNA World Title ended during a regular episode of Impact Wrestling as TNA decided to cargo-cult the Daniel Bryan storyline. Did Magnus deserve better? Probably, but thems the breaks, and at least he can say he was the World Champion. And hey, maybe you really dug Magnus and thought he was doing great stuff, and if so then this may be your last chance for a while to vote for him.

Eric Young (TNA World Heavyweight Champion) - A short, muscular bearded wrestler with a comedy-wrestling background wins one match at the start of the night, then goes on to win in the main event to become Champion! Then he feuds with a former friend, a masked monster who wants to brutalize him and take his belt from him. Also in the background, a power-mad executive/former wrestler with a three-letter acronym for his name plots to destroy the bearded champion with the aid of his two younger associates, one a cocky young "blue-chipper" and the other a hulking, muscular enforcer who has some cardio issues. If you liked it in that other company you have to like it here too, that's the way it works! :argh:

:fut: Hiroshi Tanahashi (FORMER IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - The former ace of NJPW may have lost his World Heavyweight Championship to Okada, but he was secure in the knowledge that even so his status as IC Champ was making that belt more prestigious, to the point that it was headlining shows. With NJPW looking to alternate the IC and WHC belts as the main event draws for different shows, it seemed that the IC Belt was becoming a defacto second world title (though certainly not officially, it must be stressed), but was this because of the belt itself or Tanahashi? We'll soon know for certain, because Tanahashi lost his belt to New Japan Cup Winner Shinsuke Nakamura, meaning that now poor Tanahashi has no belt at all!

:wiggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (IWGP Intercontinental Champion) - At Invasion Attack, Nakamura defeated Tanahashi to become the new IC Champion. The delightfully sleazy looking man in the tight pants with the amazingly awful (awfully amazing?) hair had lost the belt in January to Tanahashi and been unsuccessful in all his efforts to gain it back. But after winning the New Japan Cup, Nakamura was on a roll and would not be denied, and took back what was his at last. But where now for Nakamura? A title defense against one of the Gracies is hardly an exciting prospect, will he have the star power to keep the IC Belt a prominent, main event worthy title? Also, how will fellow CHAOS member and current World Champion Kazuchika Okada feel about potentially being upstaged by one of his own stablemates? Will Nakamura stay heel or embrace the fans who seem to be increasingly on his side? Hell, does the IC Title even belong on this list at all? There are arguments for and against its inclusion, as it is not an official "top" belt but is certainly being booked like one at the moment. Perhaps the best argument to be made for or against will be in how you vote. After all, if nobody votes for the IC Belt holder, then it would be hard to argue for its continued inclusion. You have the power!

:shrug: Are These The Only Options? (Indifferent Champion) - If none of these Champions appeal, or you wish somebody else was there instead, or you just want to see the votes, click this option. If you want somebody else on the poll, don't just say their name but give a reason WHY you want them and why you think they should be included. For example, Ricochet is the Open the Dream Gate Champion and I was asked to include him on the poll this month, but chose not to because as near as I can tell not only did he not defend his belt this month but he didn't do ANYTHING as OtDG Champion, which would seem to make it a PWG style belt where there are lengthy periods between appearances/title matches. If you want to argue differently, MAKE YOUR CASE!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I anticipate that Daniel Bryan is going to win, so I voted for the likeliest candidate to beat him: Eric Young

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I voted for Adam Cole because him giving Matt Hardy the ICONIC title was the best thing a champion did all month.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Do not even ask posted:

I anticipate that Daniel Bryan is going to win, so I voted for the likeliest candidate to beat him: Eric Young

I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that any votes for Eric Young were actually intended for Daniel Bryan anyway!

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Vote status: YES

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
That Daniel Bryan fellow is good by me.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I voted for Adam Cole because him giving Matt Hardy the ICONIC title was the best thing a champion did all month.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ADAM COLE BAY-BAY

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

YEAOH

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
Danail Brain

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Okay fine Bryan actually deserves it this time :colbert:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yep.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yup votin for Bryan. How could you not?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Meant to vote Cole, as I have done in recent months, but hit Bryan. I don't regret this decision necessarily, but I really feel that Cole's been under-appreciated throughout his title reign.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This could be the biggest winning margin in PSP Champion history.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

njsykora posted:

This could be the biggest winning margin in PSP Champion history.

there was a month where punk won with like 86% or something ludicrous

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

John Cena posted:

there was a month where punk won with like 86% or something ludicrous

July, 2011

:stare:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Bryan also did 83% in January 2012:

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Great emoticon for EY

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Vote status: YeaOH!

Bryan deserves it, but my current favorite wrestler won a title match in a very good main event match that I feel was underrated on here so I'm gonna vote for him if for no other reason than to justify the time I spent collecting the links to 6 NJPW matches and sending them to Jerusalem.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:22 on May 1, 2014

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
I'm sorry Rainmaker, I love you so much. But Daniel Bryan is the most over guy in wrestling since Steve Austin and The Rock during the Attitude Era.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Where's Ricochet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ChampRamp posted:

Where's Ricochet?

Read the OP :colbert:

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Read the OP :colbert:

He's the Open the Freedom Gate champion which he won in April too!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

He also defended it against Uhaa Nation already.

EDIT: Never mind you're talking about the DGUSA version. Both DG championship matches were apparently in March.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 1, 2014

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

Thauros posted:

He also defended it against Uhaa Nation already.

That was is March, but it aired in April IIRC

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is also shameful that fake NJPW champions are included but Jay Briscoe former REAL ROH World Champion is not.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
As of now, Daniel Bryan has a mere 78.5% of the vote, clearly he's a midcarder who's popularity is a mile wide and an inch deep.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

hey one of those Miz months is bullshit he lost to the joke option

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

oatgan posted:

hey one of those Miz months is bullshit he lost to the joke option

I made the mistake of typing CM Punk that month and lots of people couldn't control their involuntary reaction to vote for him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

It is also shameful that fake NJPW champions are included but Jay Briscoe former REAL ROH World Champion is not.

Real crime is not including the ICONIC champion Matthew Moore Hardy. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pretty dominant of Bryan so far, with 87.64% of the vote!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shameless bump to remind there is still time for voting.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Why does Eric Young have 6.78% of the votes? Why isn't he and Magnus listed as comedy options? Damnit Jerusalem. This is the most shameful April thread.

(I voted for Daniel Bryan)

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Tanahashi forever

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It should come as no surprise, but Daniel Bryan won with a dominant 80% of the vote (more if you count Eric Young's votes as votes for Bryan, which they all were). What is a surprise is how few votes Okada got, and since he's not lost his belt there will only be one more chance to vote for him until he gets the belt back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DarkstarIV posted:

Why does Eric Young have 6.78% of the votes? Why isn't he and Magnus listed as comedy options? Damnit Jerusalem. This is the most shameful April thread.

(I voted for Daniel Bryan)

Because it's not Young's fault TNA's idea of writing is the same as that kid from your high school English exam who didn't read the books the essay question is on?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Because it's not Young's fault TNA's idea of writing is the same as that kid from your high school English exam who didn't read the books the essay question is on?

That makes his terrible promos and passable matches somehow better than some of the candidates who had great matches and promos last month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

That makes his terrible promos and passable matches somehow better than some of the candidates who had great matches and promos last month?

I didn't say he should win, just that the dumb way he won the title doesn't in and of itself make him a joke.

• Locked thread