Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Snowdens Secret posted:

This story is hilariously barefaced nonsense

Awe poo poo. I'm handing in my resignation now!

My wife, who is a russian spy, confirmed this to be a credible source of information ready for dissemination to our troops across the American Nation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Also guys. Gals. People...do this survey. Tell the Navy hows u doin and poo poo. Tell 'em how to keep you Navy. Tell them they suck. I don't care. Just get your voice heard:

http://www.dodretention.org/

This is a serious post on a serious forum thread.

welp

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

quote:

After the incident, the foreign media reported that "Donald Cook" was rushed into a port in Romania. There all the 27 members of the crew filed a letter of resignation. It seems that all 27 people have written that they are not going to risk their lives. This is indirectly confirmed by the Pentagon statement according to which the action demoralized the crew of the American ship.

Ya this story sounds legit.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Awe poo poo. I'm handing in my resignation now!

My wife, who is a russian spy, confirmed this to be a credible source of information ready for dissemination to our troops across the American Nation.

I'm just amazed that all 27 of the crew resigned, you'd think one guy would hang around just to play Captain Of One until a new crew showed up

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Snowdens Secret posted:

This was like every week with us for a while. It became a game to see who would get caught sober enough to be called back, culminating in guys chugging 40s in the parking lot before driving home. Of course we weren't clinic corpsmen and didn't, you know, live in the barracks right by work or anything

That's ridiculous. It's not really a frequent thing. It was a little more complicated of a situation that we were getting recalled for but who cares. Got that Memorial day to look forward to. :frogbon:

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 2, 2014

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
the screens went blank !!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

krispykremessuck posted:

Without any other frame of reference for this exclamation, I'll just use my imagination...

You were looking at your C-Way app, getting all psyched for your reenlistment, then the screen went blank.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm just amazed that all 27 of the crew resigned, you'd think one guy would hang around just to play Captain Of One until a new crew showed up

Force Shaping, Warrior Semen.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Without any other frame of reference for this exclamation, I'll just use my imagination...

You were looking at your C-Way app, getting all psyched for your reenlistment, then the screen went blank.

:argh: Su-24 :argh:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

krispykremessuck posted:

This exactly how radar jamming works, I should know. :colbert:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

krispykremessuck posted:

Dare them to try it again on a different destroyer where the ETs and FCs do their loving PMS.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Dare them to try it again on a different destroyer where the ETs and FCs do their loving PMS.

This is a joke post, right?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

orange juche posted:

Uhh, yes. Because PMS prevents jam from gunking up my scope on a "Aegis" suite. :jerkbag:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

This is a joke post, right?

I haven't read any other source about any destroyer in the black sea suddenly making port, but I am pretty sure radars don't just shut off when they are jammed. Odds are they had a malfunction unrelated to what any russian anything was doing and had to make port, and russia is using it as a propaganda point.

Could also be lovely google translated page as well, as it looks like it was kind of machine translated.:shrug:

E: Read a page on CNN of all things, no "sudden failure of anything" was claimed, but eh, I trust naval equipment about this much, which is not really much at all.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 3, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

orange juche posted:

I haven't read any other source about any destroyer in the black sea suddenly making port, but I am pretty sure radars don't just shut off when they are jammed. Odds are they had a malfunction unrelated to what any russian anything was doing and had to make port, and russia is using it as a propaganda point.

I believe the article was for domestic consumption, and then translated for posterity. I doubt the source is any more credible than Mark Levin or the Korean Central News Agency.

It is here for its comedy value.

Like their comments thread:

quote:

When we talk about the most powerful country in the world it is not usa!! it is Russia!! And this is no horseshit, they had 22,000 warheads in 1932 when usa was on pamppers. Now it is even more powerful than ever!!! americans are so ignorant that they think the usa is a powerful country. usa bellogs to the brits 100%, and are the poppets of the UK with their negro poppet slave in the white house!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
No you see glorious fatherland Sukhoi driver looked into the porthole windows on the warship hull and he could see the CRT screens on the imperialist Aegis going blank

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Like their comments thread:

Because anyone had missiles in 1932 lol

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

quote:

negro poppet slave
This would make a great username.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Uhh, yes. Because PMS prevents jam from gunking up my scope on a "Aegis" suite. :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0

this is my understanding of how aegis works, how close am i?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

orange juche posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcArnepkhv0

this is my understanding of how aegis works, how close am i?

http://youtu.be/b3_lVSrPB6w

edit: someone else explain how Aegis is not a singular system, but a brand name for a collection of systems that allow for practically complete dominance in a warfare environment, and that SPY-1_ (the thing that most people see and associate with destroyers and cruisers) has a power output that can make birds fall out the sky fully cooked by radiofreq energy -- therefore jamming it is a comical thing because we just increase power to overcome raspberries.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 3, 2014

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

http://youtu.be/b3_lVSrPB6w

edit: someone else explain how Aegis is not a singular system, but a brand name for a collection of systems that allow for practically complete dominance in a warfare environment, and that SPY-1_ (the thing that most people see and associate with destroyers and cruisers) has a power output that can make birds fall out the sky fully cooked by radiofreq energy -- therefore jamming it is a comical thing because we just increase power to overcome raspberries.

Jesus I am saving that link, it owns.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
According to open-source, the SPY can put out 6 MW of power. Wikipedia AEGIS Combat System if anyone actually wants a basic rundown of the suite.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

orange juche posted:

Jesus I am saving that link, it owns.

Now that we've cleared up this matter, lets get to the more important topic: why the hell do you have some anime girl for your av? Since I am a kind and compassionate noble, I'm not going to make fun of you. Hopefully moker will be along shortly to do my dirty work.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think they fly signal flags at hospitals.

They have some weird colored flags that fly out on some ship mast looking thing with weird colors going along. All I know about them is we can't fly the ensign lower than them if we're at half mast.

So my friend's fiance just got told in boot camp that he's going to be an MM Nuke, when will he find out how lovely his life is? She's asking me questions like I know the answer.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

vulturesrow posted:

Since I am a kind and compassionate noble, I'm not going to make fun of you.

gently caress that. I'll start.

TAR AND FEATHER ORANGE JUICE. MAKE HIM WALK!

HE ALSO PRETENDS TO BE A SPACE JEW ON THE MMO HMO FORUM!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

Now that we've cleared up this matter, lets get to the more important topic: why the hell do you have some anime girl for your av? Since I am a kind and compassionate noble, I'm not going to make fun of you. Hopefully moker will be along shortly to do my dirty work.

Because I can't find a decent thing to turn into a big AV. :shrug: It is amazingly difficult to fit an image into 180x200 and it still look decent, I suppose i could replace it with a giant flaming skull gif or something else suitably retarded that you would see as a phone background circa mid 2000's.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Pandasmores posted:

They have some weird colored flags that fly out on some ship mast looking thing with weird colors going along. All I know about them is we can't fly the ensign lower than them if we're at half mast.

So my friend's fiance just got told in boot camp that he's going to be an MM Nuke, when will he find out how lovely his life is? She's asking me questions like I know the answer.

Your friend's soon to be cheating ex fiancé? If he's in bootcamp the lovely life started already. And you don't get "told in bootcamp" that you're going in as a nuke.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

poopkitty posted:

Your friend's soon to be cheating ex fiancé? If he's in bootcamp the lovely life started already. And you don't get "told in bootcamp" that you're going in as a nuke.

if it still works the same they do tell you if you're going to be mm et or em tho

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

poopkitty posted:

No, he knew he was going to be a Nuke, I guess he didn't know what specialty.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Pandasmores posted:

No, he knew he was going to be a Nuke, I guess he didn't know what specialty.

Doesn't change the first question :colbert:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Pandasmores posted:

So my friend's fiance just got told in boot camp that he's going to be an MM Nuke, when will he find out how lovely his life is?
When he gets to his boat. If he's going sub, he should push for welding school. It won't make boat life any better, but it will prolong the inevitable for a few months.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Welding NEC also gives a few extra bucks too doesn't it? And on a sub it hardly ever gets actually used.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

ded posted:

Welding NEC also gives a few extra bucks too doesn't it? And on a sub it hardly ever gets actually used.

not that i recall

requalifying every 6 months was a pain in the balls but overall i'm really glad i did the school. very helpful on resumes in my field as well

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm loling pretty hard at that story. That's not to say that SPY isn't susceptible to jamming, or that the SU-24 can't carry the hypothetically correct kind of jammer, but just lol at all of it.

I'm too lazy to check if anyone in D&D is quoting it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

not that i recall

requalifying every 6 months was a pain in the balls but overall i'm really glad i did the school. very helpful on resumes in my field as well

No bonus.

About that requal. We went like two years without proficiency welds, so we had to do a one week refresher course to requalify. It was time spent away from the boat, so it was worth it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guys everything from RT is bullshit russian state propaganda. Don't believe a single drat thing you read from it.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Guys everything from RT is bullshit russian state propaganda. Don't believe a single drat thing you read from it.

i know you're a little slow (swo) but I don't think anyone does

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you mean I shouldn't believe that all 27 of the crew of the Donald Cook resigned? I was drafting my letter of resignation for Monday morning and everything.

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret

Mr. Nice! posted:

Only trust Glenn Beck for your news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Seqenenra posted:

Only trust Glenn Beck for your news.

So no Bill O'Reilly then? Asking for a friend.

• Locked thread