Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Esser-Z posted:

If Faerun is the best Realm why is it Forgotten? Riddle me THAT, Batman!
Why is it that I actually know the answer to this question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Esser-Z posted:

It was a silly joke, but now I'm actually curious, so go ahead!
It has something to do with the fact that earth and the place where Forgotten Realms takes place were chummy chummy but eventually earth forgot about the realms.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 1, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Mormon Star Wars posted:

I'm going to MAKE SOME ENEMIES but Greyhawk is by far the most aggressively boring D&D setting. Only the parts of it that touch of the history of the Suel are even remotely interesting.
Greyhawk isn't the most aggressively boring setting for the mere fact that it has elements that will cause your average D&D grognards to burst into flames.
EDIT:
I actually like Greyhawk better because its quite readily evident that it isn't uptight about the what D&D is and that is a really goofy game to play.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 3, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

Yeah, as I understand, Greyhawk has gone to great lengths to REMOVE a lot of the silliness. Nowadays it's more or less the very archtype of a bland, featureless sword and sorcery world.
How the hell did they get rid of the Metamorphosis Alpha spaceship?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libertad! posted:

May Design Contest: Design a Fighter/non-spellcasting martial class for Pathfinder which can compete with Wizards.

This is loving Hard Mode, baby!
Not really given that I'm stealing one of their class designs to do exactly that in other game systems like in Dungeon World and 13th Age. Its technically not a martial class RAW but part of the classes core conceit is so mundane that it might as well just be martial.

Esser-Z posted:

There's that, too. PF attracts a certain player base that has... shall we say different gaming philosophy than I do. I could trust my standard group, made up of my friends, to game reasonably in 3.PF, but we all moved on to 4e and 13A and a world hack some of us are working on, and nobody wants to go back.
The philosophy that Pathfinder attracts is observable in 13th Age. The difference is that for the most part it doesn't really wreck the game that appreciably.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 15:47 on May 8, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Libertad! posted:

Can you elaborate on this? 13th Age, to me, appears to derive inspiration from both 3rd and 4th Edition and really does try to balance things out mechanically in regards to monsters and classes. And it doesn't have oodles and oodles of spells.
13th Age's class balance seems to have been partially informed by the groggy notion that 4th edition ruined magic because of the daily mechanic. On top of that the game also actively calls out the whole "dumb fighter complex wizard" as something that actually exists within the game. As I said before in the post it doesn't wreck the game like it does with Pathfinder and the only time it ever became a glaring design issue was with Tweet's obsession with multiple attribute dependency.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

^^: Part of the problem with the rape table if I remember correctly is that the newest edition isn't a parody.

Libertad! posted:

I tried searching for this very thread many months ago, but apparently the thread was deleted or you had to join first or something. Care to elaborate on the specifics, or is it exactly what I imagine it to be?
If it helps you any I thought it was a Facebook post.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 9, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Quarex posted:

Fire up Kickstarter, everyone; I think we see the future of rules-light gaming.
You joke but I'm pretty sure I have dice that probably served or could serve that exact purpose. If you have a Five Below near you check from time to time because sometimes they sell some really weird dice.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh poo poo son, I've bought the craziest dice from Five Below. When I started playing 4e again I got a couple whole 1d4-1d20 sets in matched colour patterns. Plus like D6s that looked like they could be Fudge dice, or they had targets and missiles and poo poo on them and I don't even know.
I've sourced a lot of the weirder stuff from Koplow games and looking at the catalog there is a good chance that you've seen their dice. I've seen their bone dice, d6 within a d6, and their spherical d6's at Pandamonium in Boston. The stuff you can get at Five Below is bizarre even beyond it. Was that weird d6 that looked like it could be Fudge dice a dice that had only the numbers four or six on it with x's in the other places?

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 10, 2014

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, how do you even use those?

The bone dice are just funky shaped d6's. The d6 within a d6 you shake it like a rattle and then throw it like a regular dice. The spherical d6's act a zocchi d100 that doesn't suck as they have more heft to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

Error 404 posted:

I am also curious about this, but with the additional question of: How would you go about finding those little 'local touches' that a resident would know, but that some nerd who has never been there can't really find in a book or online?
This is only going to work if you live in a major multicultural city but you could just ask someone from there.

• Locked thread