Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MourningView posted:

Jake Locker should have played safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fluffer muffle
Oct 15, 2010

RE: RUN SUPPORT
:staredog: haha

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

So, have there been any mysterious disappearances on the road between Houston and Oakland since that signing?

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

The Raiders rule.

e: I actually like all the AFC:W teams except Denver, because gently caress them.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

loving Christ, he looks more like Birkenstock salesman than a football player.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Herman Moore owns.

I had almost erased Stefan Logan's last season from my brain. Thanks TFF.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

The redskins would have already locked up the NFC east.

Already have, bruh.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Wow, now when I'm having a rough day in the gym I can think back to this and be like :smug:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

the beads of sweat, the half-grimace, the week of unshaven stubble curled into a snarl,

the look of a man that just finalized his divorce and is going to tear up the over-40 dating scene

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I just read that Cutler's backup this year is Jordan Palmer.

Bears better draft a QB in the 3rd-5th rounds, because hoo boy.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Everyone's drafting a QB in the 3-5 rounds.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Atticus Finch posted:

Everyone's drafting a QB in the 3-5 rounds.

Also two WRs, a DB and a RB.

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Abugadu posted:

I just read that Cutler's backup this year is Jordan Palmer.

Bears better draft a QB in the 3rd-5th rounds, because hoo boy.

Bear's back up QB position has been dire every year except for last year when it inexplicably wasn't.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Bear Pasco is a Falcon now.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

DupaDupa posted:

Bear's back up QB position has been dire every year except for last year when it inexplicably wasn't.

For awhile you had Orton and Grossman flip flopping. But yeah, you've had some poo poo backups.

I was amazed how well Mccown did, and I don't think it's because his receivers bailed him out. Dude was making the smart throw every time.

edit: ahaha forgot about this one - "In what is often regarded as one of the worst trades in NFL history, the Bears dealt their eleventh overall draft pick to Seattle for Rick Mirer. Erik Kramer, then a free agent, opted to re-sign with the Bears because he felt winning his old starting job back from Mirer would be easier than competing elsewhere. Kramer indeed won his starting job back -- during the pre-season. In Mirer's career as a Bears' QB, he threw six interceptions and no touchdowns."

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

davecrazy posted:

Bear Pasco is a Falcon now.

I'll make a thread.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Lol I can't believe Schaub is a Raider

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

commy gun posted:

I'll make a thread.

Somebody has to replace Tony Gonzalez

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

To Photoshop!

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Dattserberg posted:

I don't know what was more "Schwartz", the last half of the 2013 season or the entire 2012 season. Goddamn were they an undisciplined mess. Thankfully now we have a non-hothead coach who won't discipline.

e:

Same season, different period. The game you're referring to was I believe week 16 against Atlanta. What I was talking about was when they had consecutive games where they gave up both a kick return and a punt return for touchdowns.

e2: Holy poo poo, apparently 2012 was the year of the big play against Detroit. Just from a quick glance of their Wiki page of that year, the defense gave up touchdowns of: 71, 61, 70, 77, 81, 42, 41, 44, 40, 60 yards. They also surrendered 10 return touchdowns either on special teams or an offensive turnover.

The Lions are the only team in history to give up a kick return touchdown and a punt return touchdown in consecutive games. And then the Bills hired the special teams coordinator responsible for that. And then they hired Schwartz, and also Stafford's accomplished quarterback coach. I don't know what they're doing in Buffalo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've always been fascinated by how much qbs can lift ever since that picture of the Miami hurricanes weight board got posted and we saw how much of a god vinny testaverde was.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This is the most I've ever wanted a season to end in a Raiders Super Bowl championship

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Schaub is definitely embracing his role as a Raider. Dude, looks like a straight up pirate.

If you told me that guy had rickets I'd believe you.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Look at all that anger in his eyes! After being discarded by his former team, Evil Schaub emerges.

Definitely has the beard of a man who went through a few whiskey bottles in sadness and disappointment.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

God, the Raiders are going to win the AFC west this year, aren't they?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

God, the Raiders are going to win the AFC west this year, aren't they?

Just three plane crashes away.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

I like how asymetrical his arms are.

Uh, speaking of strength and conditioning, the main concern about Manzeil is his small size and that he'd be easier to injure, right? Why can't he bulk and lift a poo poo load of weights during the off season and preseason and get big and mean? Like, I lift, and without any professional help or changing my diet, I've put on 5 pounds of muscle and really increased stability and functional strength. I imagine with all the coaching staff and nutritionists, they MUST be able to do something with him. Can anyone comment on that? I'm interested to know how it works/ if it can really change things.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

wtftastic posted:

Uh, speaking of strength and conditioning, the main concern about Manzeil is his small size and that he'd be easier to injure, right? Why can't he bulk and lift a poo poo load of weights during the off season and preseason and get big and mean? Like, I lift, and without any professional help or changing my diet, I've put on 5 pounds of muscle and really increased stability and functional strength. I imagine with all the coaching staff and nutritionists, they MUST be able to do something with him. Can anyone comment on that? I'm interested to know how it works/ if it can really change things.

It certainly worked for AJ Jenkins.

You still need a frame that can carry and move with that extra bulk. If not, you're just going to slow yourself down and probably get injured a lot.

Edit: forgot a T.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 2, 2014

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

wtftastic posted:

No amount of lifting will make grow over 6 foot tall. Also, its less his frame that is the problem, there are tons of guys his side at WR and RB for instance, its his play style. He, like lots of other college QB's tends to run a lot more than he should. If he plays the same way he does in college as he does in the pros, he is going to get hit a lot more often, which increases the risk of injury.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wtftastic posted:

"bulking" certainly happens at the pro level but not to the extent someone new to lifting will see. For the most part, an athlete is done gaining muscle mass in the nfl once they reach about 25-27. At that point the wear and tear of the game gets too much for them, and they're just trying to keep it together. Strength training programs, especially for skill positions like QB, are primarily about getting back into game shape. They heal for 2-3 months, then try to get back to where they were. "Gains" isn't the primary goal like someone doing a bro split.

Gaining muscle doesn't necessarily make them a better quarterback, either. Arm strength is more dependent on biomechanics and technique than anything else. Stand up and raise your right hand like you're saying the pledge of allegiance. Now hold that position and try to pull your hand backwards so that your forearm is parallel to the ground. Look how far away you are and how tight your shoulder feels. Mike Vick can get parallel. Next time you're at the gym, put an empty barbell on your back in the back squat position, place your elbows under the bar, and press up. It will be very difficult. Even when he was still very young by strength training standards, Peyton Manning could do 75k.

Another reason QBs don't lift substantial weights, besides it being waste of time, is they're better suited spending that time watching tape, practicing with WRs, working on footwork, etc. Lifting weights can throw off your natural body mechanics. Most of your overhead sports like pitching, throwing a football, serving a tennis ball etc require more coordination and leg drive than anything else. These guys don't typically lift weights, with some notable exceptions. Keep in mind, the biggest gym rat QB we've seen enter the NFL could barely throw the ball 30 yards.

Finally, like Swickles says, it doesn't matter how sick nasty swole manziel gets. He still hurfs and durfs around out there before throwing up wounded ducks for whomever comes down with it. That was cute in college, but in he's going to be a sitting duck for linebackers and defensive ends who will have 100 pounds on him that are faster than him and are trying to kill him.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Coldforge posted:

I certainly worked for AJ Jenkins.

You still need a frame that can carry and move with that extra bulk. If not, you're just going to slow yourself down and probably get injured a lot.

The Lofa Tatupu effect. Dude was never the same after he decided to bulk up. Though part of that was likely due to an injury as well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Training camp doesn't start until the AJC writes the annual article about Matt Ryan hitting the weight room more than ever.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

FizFashizzle posted:

I've always been fascinated by how much qbs can lift ever since that picture of the Miami hurricanes weight board got posted and we saw how much of a god vinny testaverde was.

Do you have a copy of this?

e: also my initials are AJC so I just flinched reading the above post

poly and open-minded fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 2, 2014

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Goddamn fiz great post

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

HappyHelmet posted:

The Lofa Tatupu effect. Dude was never the same after he decided to bulk up. Though part of that was likely due to an injury as well.

Daunte Culpepper was never the same after the sex boat. Rehabbing in a parking lot was a minor contributing factor.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Do you have a copy of this?

Nah, I can't find it. All I remember was he still had every single QB lifting record.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Coldforge posted:

I certainly worked for AJ Jenkins.

Can we call putting on a lot of weight on a frame that's too small to handle it 'Tatupuing'?

edit: God drat, that's what I get for sitting on my reply for a while.

Schwack fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 2, 2014

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I prefer 'Bostoning' but I don't know that anyone's frame is meant to handle what he did.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Vinny should be in the Hall of fame, there I said what we were all thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Vinny should be in the Hall of fame, there I said what we were all thinking.

Frankly I don't think his record of 123 losses as a quarterback will ever be broken. You have to imagine that any quarterback with that strong of a losing record will probably stop getting jobs sooner rather than later in the modern NFL. Favre is second in QB losses at 112. Both were physical freaks of longevity.

Edit: Lol

quote:

National Football League Players Association president Gene Upshaw, unaware that his comments could be heard by anyone viewing through a direct satellite uplink, once commented during an NFL Live! commercial break that Testaverde was so dumb that he would drag the electric cord through his swimming pool while trimming the hedges, and claimed himself to be a better quarterback (Upshaw was a retired offensive guard) than Testaverde.

• Locked thread