Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
oh cool it looks like our delivery drivers mixed up a bunch of titanium and aluminium flat parts going out to get stress relieved after breakform so now I have parts out at places that I don't know what the gently caress they're made out of great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But for some unknown awful reason we voted Branstad back in. (Because Culver was a loving idiot).

Personally I can't wait to leave next door red state hell. When the only Governors running for this state are all Republican and who is the biggest darling endorsed by Sarah Palin... Ugh.

Oh, god, are you in Nebraska? Flat, Fundie, and hosed Up is what I hear. I blame the Tea Party assholes out in the echoing emptiness of southwestern Iowa on carryover. :(

Honestly, as GOP candidates go, Branstad's not too terrible. At least he pays more attention to the economy than his personal convictions most days.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Des Moines Metro, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids (as long as the winds aren't blowing in the wrong direction) are actually pretty awesome towns. After living in Omaha, which is just a bigger quad cities, except more crime, Des Moines, while not paradise, is pretty nice place to live.

Yeah, I'm from Des Moines myself, and moved back here a few years ago because it pretty much rocks for the laid back sort of lifestyle I prefer. Ames is really awesome for being a tiny little college town that dries up and blows away in the summers.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, god, are you in Nebraska? Flat, Fundie, and hosed Up is what I hear. I blame the Tea Party assholes out in the echoing emptiness of southwestern Iowa on carryover. :(
Yeah, I'm from Des Moines myself, and moved back here a few years ago because it pretty much rocks for the laid back sort of lifestyle I prefer. Ames is really awesome for being a tiny little college town that dries up and blows away in the summers.

Yeah I moved here for a "Promotion" back in July 2013. Giving up the promotion to going back to switching boxcars, partially because the stress and bs of the job, partially because friends and family, and partially because Omaha is an awful, awful town.

The only redeeming quality here is that Five Guys exists, and even then, I can hit up Zombie burger for some good eats, or pretty much anything in the east village.

Plus the Thai food here is AWFUL.

Ninja: G/F's sister lives in Ames and we spend a ton of time there too. She lives on the north side of town, which has some pretty good eats and fun things to do. They are moving Wallaby's into that area as well. I know its not the best, but for bar grub, you can't beat it.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

How the hell do I break into the mining field? I'm applying to a bunch of mining jobs in Iowa, Nevada, Alaska, and Colorado but I have no experience.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah I moved here for a "Promotion" back in July 2013. Giving up the promotion to going back to switching boxcars, partially because the stress and bs of the job, partially because friends and family, and partially because Omaha is an awful, awful town.

The only redeeming quality here is that Five Guys exists, and even then, I can hit up Zombie burger for some good eats, or pretty much anything in the east village.

Plus the Thai food here is AWFUL.

B-Bops puts Five Guys to shame. :colbert:

That said, there's a ton of great food in Des Moines right now. Buzzard Billy's finally got a new building, right next to Vets,and is still amazing. Woody's Smoke Shack over by Drake has some of the best BBQ I've had outside of Memphis. This weekend is the start of the farmers' market downtown, too, so if I'm not cursed to be stuck under my pile of poo poo Sonoma chasing a fuel leak, I'm going hunting for local cheeses.

Edit : No clue, Crag, sorry. I'm an ex-chef in the IT business these days, not my field.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I love seattle, but this city is getting insane. How is it that in such a dog friendly city(you can take your dogs into almost any store, pretty much all condo/apartments take dogs) I can not find a loving house that will let me rent it because of my ridiculous little wiener dog? I was hoping to not have to move to another rental house before I finally buy something, but my landlord wont extend my lease since she needs to move back into the house so I have to move. The rental market is just down right insane right now too. Tiny run down 2 bedroom house in north seattle? $2.5k a month and no dogs. Hell I can deal with paying over $2k a month for a house, but since I have a dog I can't find a place.

Luckily I have till the end of june to move, so hopefully I will find something decent that has a garage. If not I will have to figure out something for my celica. And I need to actually sell my e30. I just picked up a fender and hood to replace the ones on it that are hosed up. Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Super Aggro Crag posted:

How the hell do I break into the mining field? I'm applying to a bunch of mining jobs in Iowa, Nevada, Alaska, and Colorado but I have no experience.

Heavy equipment operator is about the best way..... If not, just say your safe and can learn new skills quickly.

Liquid Communism posted:

B-Bops puts Five Guys to shame. :colbert:

The one on East Euclid sells burgers on the weekend for a buck. When I worked the Hull Ave job, me and the helper would usually run up there and destroy our guts for 5 bucks.

Farmers Market is always the best place to score asparagus. Ugh, June 3rd can't get here quick enough.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hah, I'm half a mile from the East Euclid store. It's my go-to for hangover food if I don't get up in time to make the Waveland for breakfast. :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

I love seattle, but this city is getting insane. How is it that in such a dog friendly city(you can take your dogs into almost any store, pretty much all condo/apartments take dogs) I can not find a loving house that will let me rent it because of my ridiculous little wiener dog? I was hoping to not have to move to another rental house before I finally buy something, but my landlord wont extend my lease since she needs to move back into the house so I have to move. The rental market is just down right insane right now too. Tiny run down 2 bedroom house in north seattle? $2.5k a month and no dogs. Hell I can deal with paying over $2k a month for a house, but since I have a dog I can't find a place.

Luckily I have till the end of june to move, so hopefully I will find something decent that has a garage. If not I will have to figure out something for my celica. And I need to actually sell my e30. I just picked up a fender and hood to replace the ones on it that are hosed up. Guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

Come on up to lynnwood! We have...um...a mall? and garages for most houses

i feel you on the dog thing, its even worse if you have a dog over 60-75lbs like we do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Move to East Tennessee like I did. There's narrow winding roads, mountains, rednecks in poo poo heaps, moonshine and lots of open land. TN summer are hot and humid but the winters are a joke and if there is a chance of snow everything just shuts down.

I do miss the snow of Wisconsin but I can drive 2 hours and be snowboarding in the mountains. More I miss my parents big, dumb and awesome dogs. I'd fence in the yard and get one but I don't think they would like the summers here very much.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

Come on up to lynnwood! We have...um...a mall? and garages for most houses

i feel you on the dog thing, its even worse if you have a dog over 60-75lbs like we do.

We live in shoreline right now and are trying to get back to greenwood/ballard. The commute to downtown is bad enough now that it usually takes me 45 minutes to get to the office and my house is ~10 miles away, I don't think I could deal with living farther north. And now that my girlfriend is done with school, she works in belltown. I just wish we could stay in this house for another 6 months so we could buy our own place.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Omaha is an awful, awful town.

I'm moving there in a few weeks so I'm interested in hearing more specific negatives.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Come to Florida, the only state that has rust free cars with no emission testing that won't freeze you to death or kill you with tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis :smug:

Oregon has all that, plus we have mountains and roads with curves. And you're slightly less likely to get shot walking back from the store with your drink and some skittles.

E: also no muggy summers and no palmetto bugs here.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm moving there in a few weeks so I'm interested in hearing more specific negatives.

Its red state hell, I had no less than 3 break ins vehicles and home. (And I live in a decent area). The people are kind of ghetto.... its just kind of a run down blue collar town.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In my head, I read all your posts in Archer's voice. It's fantastic.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 1, 2014

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I want to be reincarnated as Jon Benjamin's voice.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Texas is pretty neat too, though. Especially if you like trucks!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Negromancer posted:

We live in shoreline right now and are trying to get back to greenwood/ballard. The commute to downtown is bad enough now that it usually takes me 45 minutes to get to the office and my house is ~10 miles away, I don't think I could deal with living farther north. And now that my girlfriend is done with school, she works in belltown. I just wish we could stay in this house for another 6 months so we could buy our own place.

For some reason I thought you were in west seattle. I'd love to live in ballard but housing prices are bullshit in Seattle.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

BraveUlysses posted:

For some reason I thought you were in west seattle. I'd love to live in ballard but housing prices are bullshit in Seattle.

There is someone else in west seattle(mat_drinks?). I honestly would not mind moving to west seattle, but there is no way I could convince the gf to move there. I grew up in ballard with a dad who worked in the fishing industry and I still can't get over how much the area has changed. As much as I would love to buy a house in ballard, I don't think its going to happen, so we are looking more in the greenwood/broadview area where its somewhat affordable.

Every time I spot a decently priced house for rent that I would be all over, they don't allow pets. I can understand people not wanting dogs in their rental houses if they are destructive, but they don't even give anyone a chance. My dog has never chewed on anything she wasn't supposed to, doesn't dig in the yard or anything like that. I am half tempted to register* her as a service dog because then she would be no longer considered a pet and people could not legally not rent to us because of her. I know that they would find another reason to not rent to us but its starting to drive me insane

* The laws in washington for having a service dog are stupidly lax

quote:

Q. What about any “no pets” policies?

Legally, a service animal is not a pet. You are required to modify your “no pets” policy to allow the use of a service animal by an individual with a disability. A “no pets” policy may be continued, but you must make an exception to your general rule for service animals.

Even better is this part

quote:

Q. How can I tell if an animal is really a service animal and not just a pet?

There are no legal requirements for service animals to be specially identified. Some, but not all, service animals, wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or “certified” and/or have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. A public entity cannot require any proof of a person’s disability, or identification or certification of the service animal’s status.

A housing provider may ask for a health care professional’s statement that an individual is a person with a disability and will be assisted by a service animal. A housing provider may not ask for details or the nature of an individual’s disability.

So there is no actual certification, and its illegal to ask someone what their actual disability is. All you have to say is "This is a service animal that I need because I have a disability."

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Negromancer posted:

There is someone else in west seattle(mat_drinks?). I honestly would not mind moving to west seattle, but there is no way I could convince the gf to move there. I grew up in ballard with a dad who worked in the fishing industry and I still can't get over how much the area has changed. As much as I would love to buy a house in ballard, I don't think its going to happen, so we are looking more in the greenwood/broadview area where its somewhat affordable.

Every time I spot a decently priced house for rent that I would be all over, they don't allow pets. I can understand people not wanting dogs in their rental houses if they are destructive, but they don't even give anyone a chance. My dog has never chewed on anything she wasn't supposed to, doesn't dig in the yard or anything like that. I am half tempted to register* her as a service dog because then she would be no longer considered a pet and people could not legally not rent to us because of her. I know that they would find another reason to not rent to us but its starting to drive me insane

* The laws in washington for having a service dog are stupidly lax

Even better is this part

So there is no actual certification, and its illegal to ask someone what their actual disability is. All you have to say is "This is a service animal that I need because I have a disability."

Did you not even read the second paragraph? It says right there a housing provider can require a doctor's note. That may or may not be easy to get but it isn't the same as just bluffing it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Magic Underwear posted:

Did you not even read the second paragraph? It says right there a housing provider can require a doctor's note. That may or may not be easy to get but it isn't the same as just bluffing it.

Yea, I did see that just forgot to mention it. The easiest way to deal with that is you just have a note that you have anxiety issues(which both my gf and I have) and then you have a service animal that helps keep your anxiety in check. It also says that the note only has to say that you have a disability that a service animal might help.

Don't get me wrong, I would never do this. I was mainly posting all of that because I was amazed how lax all the rules were. The last thing I want to do is have a landlord who hates me from the get go and I am very against abusing rules like this, it just makes it harder on the people with actual service dogs that they need.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I had to move to Edmonds when I finally decided to buy a house, West Seattle was out because I work in Ballard and I didn't want to risk the viaduct clusterfuck ruining my commute. Ballard is so different now I'm not sure I really would want to move back even if I had the means

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thread title is wrong, it's never a good thing to live in Indiana.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'm not one for shooting the breeze at work unless I actually like you as a person. It's forced, obviously you don't give a poo poo about what I have to say, and I don't really care what you have to say. I actively avoid it without being antisocial.

We had a company-wide meeting this morning in which I was forced to make idle chitchat with a high ranking Operations officer of our company who randomly sat next to me. He is Swedish, visiting our US office for a few days, and could barely speak English. I didn't really know what the gently caress he was saying, and by his expressions I could tell he didn't know what the gently caress I was saying. I was cheering internally when the meeting actually started.

piss boner
May 17, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Thread title is wrong, it's never a good thing to live in Indiana.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So that ticket I got on labor day with my friends Rabbit came back to haunt me. I got an arraignment hearing today for reckless driving which is way worse than the speeding for conditions ticket I got the first time. So I hauled my rear end out of bed at 5 am today again to go back to the same stupid courthouse I went to in October for the original summons. I planned to plead guilty which meant a 600-something fine and lose my license for 60 days. It sucked but I didnt want to bring it to trial. I own a landscaping business and have to drive all day everyday so it was going to be bad news. Then when I went in front of the judge she couldnt find any paperwork for the reckless charge and just the speeding. I got a $250 ticket and a suspended fine of like $180 with a year of good behavior. I told her this was my first ticket and I had been there in October also so that plus me being nice and having movie star good looks saved me one more time.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oregon has all that, plus we have mountains and roads with curves. And you're slightly less likely to get shot walking back from the store with your drink and some skittles.

after this past winter, I've been having pipe dreams about moving out to Oregon. I used to worry that the 'always grey and overcast' stereotype would get to me, but then I realized that in April I saw more snow than sun and well ... I think I could deal.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Maksimus54 posted:

I had to move to Edmonds when I finally decided to buy a house, West Seattle was out because I work in Ballard and I didn't want to risk the viaduct clusterfuck ruining my commute. Ballard is so different now I'm not sure I really would want to move back even if I had the means

I don't really like what ballard has become either, that is one of the reasons we would rather live in greenwood. Doesn't hurt that most of our friends live there as well.

I honestly really like edmonds and would move there if it wasn't for the commute. Its not as bad for me because I can work from home and make my own hours, but the gf does not have that luxury.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Muggy is good for the skin and palmetto bugs make great snacks :colbert:

Also you just fire a few shots before leaving any buildings and you're good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The palmetto bugs are just a plot to fatten you up for the alligators.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

Muggy is good for the skin and palmetto bugs make great snacks :colbert:

Also you just fire a few shots before leaving any buildings and you're good.

Everyone I know from Florida has 70 year old skin at 40 so lol

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
While we're on a topic of moving, gently caress Canadian business.

One-way move in the States? No problem, everybody is doing it. Special offers, discounts, pricematching, etc. Penske truck from Buffalo to Seattle is just over 1000 with unlimited mileage.

Penske doesn't do one way moves in Canada. Almost no one does but Uhaul. Price of Toronto to Edmonton one way is just under 3000. Plus insurance and enviro fees. Time to practice garage sale skills.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much of that is the one-way charge? Could it be cheaper to fly/drive to the end destination, drive the truck back for loading and delivery, then return it to the same branch?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

triple clutcher posted:

after this past winter, I've been having pipe dreams about moving out to Oregon. I used to worry that the 'always grey and overcast' stereotype would get to me, but then I realized that in April I saw more snow than sun and well ... I think I could deal.

Yeah, it's a bit overcast here this week. currently 89 F according to my car's display

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

InitialDave posted:

How much of that is the one-way charge? Could it be cheaper to fly/drive to the end destination, drive the truck back for loading and delivery, then return it to the same branch?

300 dollar flight, 130/day truck rental * 10 days, 0.39/km mileage * 3500km * 2, double the gas and lodging.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

For $3,000 couldn't you buy a beater pickup, full sized van, or even a commercial type truck like the rental places use and then sell it for about the same amount at your destination?

Whatever you buy will probably be just as reliable as the piece of poo poo they give you as a rental.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

While we're on a topic of moving, gently caress Canadian business.

One-way move in the States? No problem, everybody is doing it. Special offers, discounts, pricematching, etc. Penske truck from Buffalo to Seattle is just over 1000 with unlimited mileage.

Penske doesn't do one way moves in Canada. Almost no one does but Uhaul. Price of Toronto to Edmonton one way is just under 3000. Plus insurance and enviro fees. Time to practice garage sale skills.

Wait, you live in Edmonton now? We should arrange something.

I actually want to see businesses try and pull some of the same poo poo they do in Canada in the US just to watch their offices get burned down. Even your most liberal Portlandist would launch Molotov cocktails through the window of UPS when they ask for a 20% surcharge, COD, to deliver something in addition to the shipping cost.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 2, 2014

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I heard employment thing is easier in the Slightly Frozen Almost West. Gonna go find out this month.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I actually want to see businesses try and pull some of the same poo poo they do in Canada in the US just to watch their offices get burned down. Even your most liberal Portlandist would launch Molotov cocktails through the window of UPS when they ask for a 20% surcharge, COD, to deliver something in addition to the shipping cost.

Don't you guys have a somewhat functional healthcare system? You have to fund that somehow, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Don't you guys have a somewhat functional healthcare system? You have to fund that somehow, right?

We fund it through taxes and duty, yeah. UPS asks for a little more sometimes for their trouble. The last time I got something shipped over the border, UPS asked me for $32 at the door to cover the bother of having to give my government the money I already paid them to ship it. Then they took that $32 back to America with them where they probably spent it on cocaine or Goldman Sachs bailouts or something.

You can also pay the government the couple of bucks to clear it yourself, if you want to drive across town for it: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2014

• Locked thread