Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

There was some grumbling just recently on Jaloplink:Truck Yeah! for the new Super duties having a gross combined vehicle weight of 40k lbs or something silly high like that.

A giant majority of people who do buy those trucks will never push that level, but gently caress me. Here, drive this 20 ton truck down the road with little regard to trailer brakes and so on.

I have watched so many idiots tow a trailer WAY faster than necessary only to find them in a ditch down the road. When I tow, if I cant lock the brakes up on an empty trailer with the trailer brakes, I am not taking it.

Edit:
http://truckyeah.jalopnik.com/2015-ford-f-series-super-duty-has-top-torque-hp-and-t-1537714126

Sorry it was the F450.
F350: 35,000 GCVW

Just because it's legal to drive that under 26k on a class C license doesn't mean you don't need a B to drive it at 26k and above and an A if the trailer makes up 10k or more of that weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MrChips posted:

You know if Glorious Leader wanted to score some political points, he should go and fix this duty situation. Tons of Canadians shop online in the Starss and ship back to Canada, yet like you said the only reason why the Brown Clown charges such exhorbitant brokerage is to fund his blow habit.

UPS are god damned criminals. I will not buy anything from a US vendor that doesn't offer USPS shipping unless I absolutely need it. I've had duty charges range up to 40% of the value. For reference, Canada post will charge tax (15%) plus a small fee to clear things from USPS.

These days with the dollar at 0.9 it doesn't make sense to shop USA unless there is a huge price gap. Tirerack and discount tire used to be the best prices around but these days Canadian retailers are getting better. I got my 245/40/17 rs3s for 900 shipped from a Canadian site.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Motronic posted:

Just because it's legal to drive that under 26k on a class C license doesn't mean you don't need a B to drive it at 26k and above and an A if the trailer makes up 10k or more of that weight.

I couldn't remember the weight limits off the top of my head, but I have kept my Class B with air since I turned 20. I don't technically need it to drive grain trucks, but its nice to have.

Most of the people pushing those limits will most likely be properly licensed anyways. But the one idiot....

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But the one idiot....

Won't give a gently caress about whatever the law does or doesn't say and will do it anyway.

e: so what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what the GCWR is there will always be some idiot trying to tow something beyond their or their vehicle's (or probably both) ability.

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I learned to drive standard by driving 550 miles from home, buying a 20,000lb military truck with a standard transmission, and then having to drive it home. Mechanical clutch and no synchro on first gear, and if there's one on second gear, it didn't work when I got it.

Was actually pretty fun.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

UPS are god damned criminals. I will not buy anything from a US vendor that doesn't offer USPS shipping unless I absolutely need it. I've had duty charges range up to 40% of the value. For reference, Canada post will charge tax (15%) plus a small fee to clear things from USPS.

These days with the dollar at 0.9 it doesn't make sense to shop USA unless there is a huge price gap. Tirerack and discount tire used to be the best prices around but these days Canadian retailers are getting better. I got my 245/40/17 rs3s for 900 shipped from a Canadian site.

If you're close enough to the border it usually makes sense to go across. I went a few weeks ago to get tires and miscellaneous RockAuto stuff. Some stuff from RockAuto was cheaper to ship to my house than to ship to Montana, oddly enough - they must be improving their Chinese supply chain and shipping out of Richmond for some big things now.

Anyway, this last time I got burned pretty bad - lady at the desk argued that all parts for an import car, even if they're aftermarket, need to be taxed at the non-NAFTA duty rate. Welcome to a $280 border bill; I could only argue so much with her and I'm glad I at least got the BFG Rivals off the non-NAFTA list.

Usually they see the spreadsheet I put together with "non-NAFTA" and all the other math done and are fine with it, but this time (for a few factors, probably some on my end too) it didn't work out. Still saved like $500-600 in shipping though, so I came out ahead in the end (as long as my time is free).

The border also gives you the exciting opportunity to be interrogated by various border guards as to your nefarious activities. We also watched a guy in front of us in line pick up a discarded box of beer from the side of the road and put it inside his car before driving up to the border terminal, which made the border guards freak the gently caress out and search him with dogs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's loving bullshit, if the product you are purchasing was made in NAFTA, the NAFTA rate should apply. Ask her if she should pay non-NAFTA taxes when she goes to a Chinese restaurant in Calgary, wait for her head to explode and then just walk by with your poo poo.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001

kastein posted:

That's loving bullshit, if the product you are purchasing was made in NAFTA, the NAFTA rate should apply. Ask her if she should pay non-NAFTA taxes when she goes to a Chinese restaurant in Calgary, wait for her head to explode and then just walk by with your poo poo.

Thats not really how it works. If you ask them something, that means they can make you squat over a mirror and then mark you as high risk.
At the border, you just bend over and take what you get, because otherwise you get it 10 times as bad next time.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I was literally asked "What is your attachment to that car?" (Regarding the shithouse LPT I had)

My response was "She had a good stereo and died saving me - isn't that enough?"

Yeah, it's gonna be awkward now.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I just applied to jobs minting coins for the government in Philly and Denver. I'd jizz my pants if I got one of those jobs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

West SAAB Story posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be awkward now.
Who was doing the asking?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The border also gives you the exciting opportunity to be interrogated by various border guards as to your nefarious activities. We also watched a guy in front of us in line pick up a discarded box of beer from the side of the road and put it inside his car before driving up to the border terminal, which made the border guards freak the gently caress out and search him with dogs.

Wow that is pretty stupid. I guess that guy really wanted to be waterboarded with maple syrup (which I'm pretty sure is what CBSA will do to you if you're bad).

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

Who was doing the asking?

Another SAAB Kool-Aid drinker/driver (even though that's not what Jim used).

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I just applied to jobs minting coins for the government in Philly and Denver. I'd jizz my pants if I got one of those jobs.

Somehow you'd burn a whole through your wrist to the other side. Still - gently caress it, it's guaranteed employment!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Ask all the dudes who frequent the NEAI channel, I'm a coin nerd. If I could make them for a living that'd be so loving sweet.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cool, good luck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ask all the dudes who frequent the NEAI channel, I'm a coin nerd. If I could make them for a living that'd be so loving sweet.

Backup plan: make bitcoins. :suicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Yeah standing next to a machine in a factory pounding out coins sounds awesome.

You have obviously never worked in a factory.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

I love monotonous jobs. I have years of experience sitting in a 6x6 closet punching down hundreds of patch panel and switch terminations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I guess it's good that someone is willing to do that poo poo.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I love monotonous jobs. I have years of experience sitting in a 6x6 closet punching down hundreds of patch panel and switch terminations.

Goddammit, reading this is J(JESSIE - PROBABLY) Jon Benjamins' voice, too.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Well I guess it's good that someone is willing to do that poo poo.

Not all people want to climb the corporate ladder.

Some of us just want to go to work, put in our 8 hours, make a good living wage, and go home and pursue other passions in life.

I was originally wanting to climb the ladder. But after dealing with the stress, anxiety, and other stupid poo poo.... Id just much rather be a cog in the wheel.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm fine with being a cog in the wheel, I just don't want to be the cog that sits in a factory next to a machine all day, been there done that gently caress that poo poo.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

If you're close enough to the border it usually makes sense to go across. I went a few weeks ago to get tires and miscellaneous RockAuto stuff. Some stuff from RockAuto was cheaper to ship to my house than to ship to Montana, oddly enough - they must be improving their Chinese supply chain and shipping out of Richmond for some big things now.

Anyway, this last time I got burned pretty bad - lady at the desk argued that all parts for an import car, even if they're aftermarket, need to be taxed at the non-NAFTA duty rate. Welcome to a $280 border bill; I could only argue so much with her and I'm glad I at least got the BFG Rivals off the non-NAFTA list.

Usually they see the spreadsheet I put together with "non-NAFTA" and all the other math done and are fine with it, but this time (for a few factors, probably some on my end too) it didn't work out. Still saved like $500-600 in shipping though, so I came out ahead in the end (as long as my time is free).

I'm 7 hours from the maine border so it doesn't make sense to drive down when I factor in gas/food costs. I usually get friends going on ski vacations to grab stuff for me. A friend picked up my TCK coilovers in 2012 and I saved over 600 bucks.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Last day of bullshit hybrid/alternative fuel classes today, I officially learned nothing (well, the physical layout of a Prius transmission, but i already understood the operating principle of it so bleargh). $500 down the drain (including mandatory textbook), but at least I'll finally have this loving degree after 4 obnoxious years.

One guy did a burnout in his classic GTO in the morning. The teacher made a big stink about vandalizing government property, spent 45 minutes of class time lecturing him, calling the police and eventually having security send him home for the day (forcing him to miss the final and have to re-take it next year), and then apologized that the student was so disruptive. :argh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fucknag posted:

The teacher...apologized that the student was so disruptive. :argh:

Were you supposed to be emotionally traumatized by a car guy doing a car-guy thing in a cool car at car college? :confused:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Crustashio posted:

So what site did you get those from? I'm going to need tires soon enough, may as well have more options than local.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bucephalus posted:

Were you supposed to be emotionally traumatized by a car guy doing a car-guy thing in a cool car at car college? :confused:

Yes, we poor innocent babby mechanics.

He (the teacher) was actually talking about pressing charges for defacing public property because of *drumroll*... the tire marks on the pavement. They were practically blowing away in the wind. One of the other guys swept it up while he was in the department office raging; when he saw it he came inside and finger-wagged us about tampering with evidence in a police investigation. He actually said the words "It's like cleaning the blood up at a murder scene, if I find out who did it you're in a world of trouble."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Holy gently caress what a whiney baby. That level of stupid power trippy bullshit is usually reserved for high school administrators.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

no one had the balls to call him out on the last day? I think comparing a burnout to murder would have people questioning his sanity. Somebody had to have said something.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Siochain posted:

So what site did you get those from? I'm going to need tires soon enough, may as well have more options than local.

1010tires.com

Their prices can be all over the map, but for the RS3s mine were cheap for the sizes.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

no one had the balls to call him out on the last day? I think comparing a burnout to murder would have people questioning his sanity. Somebody had to have said something.

Haha you think they listen to the students.

I could write a book on how terrible the staff in the automotive department is. Less-than-zero effective communication (they gave me wrong information, which I've posted about before), lessons depending on manufacturer-specific database access that, whoops, they don't get until halfway through the second week (out of two, so closer to the end of class than the start), assignment paperwork that they screw up and end up taking so long to fix that our hour lunch break stretches nearly to three, ineffective use of class time... 4 years down the line, I genuinely regret starting that program in the first place. They literally do not give a gently caress about the students, or helping us get placed in co-ops (the guy in charge of it back in 2010 literally told me "Yeah, go look for shops and ask if they want to take you on as an intern!"; that's how I wound up at loving Sears). The best old guy professor they had quit because they slashed mantrans/differentials and autotrans classes to 2 weeks each to make room for this stupid hybrid class; he did everything over his 55-year career as a tech, but specialized in transmissions, so this didn't sit too well with him, so he retired early (85, but he could have worked til the day he died; you know the type). Hell, they nearly had a nighttime high performance class that would have been taught by Buddy Hendricks, but they wanted to dumb it down so much that he told them to pound sand and it never happened.

gently caress it, though, this was the last class I needed, and once my degree audit processes I will never need to set foot in that building or talk to the staff ever again. Good riddance.

Anyway, got some good news RE my next degree today! Due to having passed calc 1 in high school, I thought I would have to re-take it, which my window to do so in summer closed; so I thought I would have to wait til fall, and take subsequent classes (which I meet pre-reqs for but don't remember the necessary math) afterwards, which would have put me finishing the AA next summer at the earliest, possibly even fall. HOWEVER, today I was informed about a free education resource website, which given that I have nearly four months until fall will be plenty of time to review all the calc stuff I've forgotten, which due to the precise classes I have left means I could finish next spring instead, AND have 7 days a week available this summer to look for and work a full-time job! (I have Chemistry, but that's 2 nights a week)

Between that and finishing the automotive clusterfuck for good, one of my better days overall.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Does anyone have any advice for buying a manual car and not actually knowing how to drive manual? I know some friends who know how to drive manual but I don't have any car to learn on at the moment. I'm considering getting a new car and I'm at least considering getting a third pedal.

I'd read http://auto.howstuffworks.com/clutch.htm to get a basic understanding of how it works mechanically, then see if a dealer will let you take out the car with one of your buddies who already knows how to operate a manual transmission - have them talk you through what you're doing wrong, and kablammo, you're driving.

Coming from :krad: dirt bikes really helped understand how it all worked, it was just a process of changing it up to using my foot on the clutch, instead of my hand. Once you get the muscle memory down, it's a breeze. Find the friction point and roll around without using the accelerator, then go from there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some dude in the store today was telling me that his college degree was revoked because of his massive school debts. That's not actually a thing is it?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure about revoking a degree but universities won't issue you your degree if you haven't paid for everything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Some dude in the store today was telling me that his college degree was revoked because of his massive school debts. That's not actually a thing is it?

Dunno about revocation but if you default they may refuse to send your transcript to employers/other schools, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Dunno about revocation but if you default they may refuse to send your transcript to employers/other schools, etc.

He didn't seem too bright, he just said he got a letter demanding he send his physical diploma back. It just sounded like a fairy tale to me.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

Just lost $20 in the first hour of Texas Hold 'Em. There goes my broke boy careless spending until I find a job.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
In a similar vein, yesterday a student went a little nutso and threatened to kill herself because she owes a lot of money to the college so they aren't going to let her graduate. On the one hand I feel bad because they waited until 2 weeks before graduation to tell her this but at the same time I'm not really sure what she expected to happen. poo poo, my high-school wouldn't let you graduate if you owed the cafeteria lunch money.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And I just threw a Nerf football super hard Tom Brady style and my friend missed it and it hit my other friend directly in the eyeball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So anyway I'm drinking to celebrate the end of the bullshit. Semi-ghetto rusty nails with Mclelland Islay malt and red Stag honey tea, New belgium Trippel. Gonna be a good night.

• Locked thread