Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Do you have any beaters?

If she's still interested in you after showing up in a beater, hell if she gets into it, she might be worth getting to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Yay overtime!
Milk it unless you have something more important to do.

Also keep in mind that it is probably taxed at a higher percentage than your normal wage so there's that.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

rscott posted:

I actually understand how marginal tax rates work so I know this isn't actually true!

Did I miss interpret this?
http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/working-overtime-is-more-taxing-you-think

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

GF chat:
We're about as polar opposite as you can get, I mean in race, background, upbringing, schooling, etc. That said, I support her when she needs support, and I can always count on her to have my back.
It's been rough lately as I work 2nd Mon - Fri and she works 9-6 Tues - Sat so we don't really get to see each other as much anymore. That took her some getting used to, but in the end it means we have more time for our personal hobbies, and we make an effort to hang out with people not only as a couple, as we were becoming hermits.

Shop chat:
I've worked for a few different speed shops, helped/worked at fab shops, and worked in nonautomotive job shops.

What I've learned is:
-bargain basement pricing brings in bargain basement shoppers
-you can't expect to make a living through just word of mouth if you don't produce any products (ie only make 1 off things)
-most owners could use some business classes at the local CC, or at least so common sense
-don't gently caress with the IRS
-never over promise, especially on delivery dates
-you can't make everyone happy or you'll make yourself miserable

I hope to own my own business someday, and having been a part of successful shops and unsuccessful shops I hope has given me enough insight on how to not gently caress it up.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

meatpimp posted:

I'd bet that their repair would be a threadcert which would not be a viable option as far as I'm concerned.

I take it the stock pan is aluminum? If so, I'd take a thread insert over threaded aluminum any day. That said, the proper way to do it would be removing the pan, and if you're going to go that far, a new pan might not be a bad idea.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I ran a head that sat on a motor with a badly blown head gasket outside for over a year. The inside looked like it used chocolate chai melted ice cream for lubricant.

All I did was replace one quart with with a quart of atf, ran it hard for a few days, changed it again and it looks perfect.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

Sonora-style or Sonoran hot dog?

Head down to Tucson sometime and I'll take you to the two (rival) self claimed inventors of the Sonoran dog, and then take you to the chevron gas station that has the best ones (in my opinion).

mafoose fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 11, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

I need renter's insurance and I apparently get a good discount through MetLife. Does anyone know anything about them and if they're good/bad?

My work offers really nice discounts through metlife and 2 other agencies. Metlife was the most expensive by a lot.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

My :siren: librarian girlfriend :siren: just texted me this:

Thanks for the book recommendation!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

You're so lucky, I know 2 locals that had to have finger(s) stitched back on for doing something similar.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Can I ask a question to all the guys that work in shops? What do you wear for shoes/boots all day to help with back pain?

Good boots with insoles, with at least a composite toe protector.

Currently on some redwings with Dr scholes fancy back pain insoles I bought on amazon.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Local "drifter" has an sc400 with a w58. Honestly I'm surprised it's lasted over a year and even a few drift events.

Friend sold his sc300 with a marlin crawler built r154 and a meh interior for $3300 so cheap ones are still out there.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Local "drifter" has an sc400 with a w58. Honestly I'm surprised it's lasted over a year and even a few drift events.

Friend sold his sc300 with a marlin crawler built r154 and a meh interior for $3300 so cheap ones are still out there.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Making some progress on Go Like Hell at work.
Just made it passed the GT40 debut in LeMans 1964.

I feel like leaving and tearing up the streets! Reading it gave me a tingly feeling, I want to go on a drive!!!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

blk posted:

A lot of young engineers I meet think they're really smart, but most of them have this level of social and emotional intelligence.

A coworker/young engineer type didn't find it odd that he didn't have a single light source in his room, at his apartment. He was perfectly content with using his phone or iPad for light.

He has also started taking the bus to work, to save some money, at the expense of probably 3hrs a day.

He owns a 2010 TDI a makes probably close to 6 figures a year :psyberger:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

rscott posted:

Finally caught up with all the tool calibration bullshit that got dumped on me

Congrats!

Now cover your own rear end!
That's something that a friend kept telling me when I started at this big corporate place.

Everyone is far too willing to pass the buck. Next time let supervision know that this/anything/whatever was dumped on you asap.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Datsuns have been doing this since the factory ac days in the late 70s.

When it works, it works amazing!

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

I'm not big into fish but I do love grilled salmon and will eat pretty much any kind of sushi. I'd love to try more fish dishes, but that poo poo's expensive.

For hot sauce, I love cholula, especially on all my childhood dishes when I used to not eat anything spicy.

Rooster sauce is amazing in pho, and this Mediterranean place in town has their own supposedly imported sauce that is amazing. I wish I could find out what it is.
It has a consistency like siracha but it is chunky and has pepper flakes. It's so good on all their dishes.

For salsas, I prefer green ones even though they mess with my stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Weather getting nice?
More like it's time to stay indoors and figure out a way to cool down the garage.

I wish I could say I listen to exhaust but the volvos sound like tractors and the BMW is too quiet with the factory muffler.

• Locked thread