Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Move to East Tennessee like I did. There's narrow winding roads, mountains, rednecks in poo poo heaps, moonshine and lots of open land. TN summer are hot and humid but the winters are a joke and if there is a chance of snow everything just shuts down.

I do miss the snow of Wisconsin but I can drive 2 hours and be snowboarding in the mountains. More I miss my parents big, dumb and awesome dogs. I'd fence in the yard and get one but I don't think they would like the summers here very much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I need to start using the concierge service on my card more often. Use it a lot when I'm on trips, they are better than expected for food/event/etc recommendations.

Wow this thread got more off track than usual today.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'll have to give that Automation a try, sounds entertaining.

Cleaned the shed and made a sign to hang on the front of it directing UPS/USPS/FEDEX to put packages inside the shed so the neighbors dog doesn't eat them. Cleaning wasn't as bad as expected...empty shed, fill trash bags with junk, put useful stuff back in the shed. Have to make a dump run tomorrow afternoon.

Weather is awesome but I have no energy to do anything, pretty sure my body hates me. At least I can sit on the front porch with a book and listen to music though I'll pry fall asleep pretty quick. Think I should start bugging my doctors again but all they'll say is eat/sleep more and listen to your body, same poo poo they've been saying as long as I can remember.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The metal bracket I grounded to my brother's radio keeps rusting over every month and shorting it out putting it into protect mode. I keep sanding the surface rust off but it keeps coming back. Is there any kind of paint I could brush on the area to keep it from rusting but keep the connection?
Could you put some conductive paste between them then paint over the whole thing to seal out moisture? Even a primer type would help I'd think but I've never done much with paint...rustoleum type maybe?

poo poo just realized I signed up for a two day riding school months ago that's scheduled for two weeks from now. Thought I would be in better shape by now, lets hope they'll give a partial refund or something because there's no way I'd make it riding dirt bikes for 8 hours a day.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well gently caress Mondays...especially this Monday. Great weather so decide I'm going to ride the bike into work and take the fun route (hills, curves, gravel). Get about a mile from my house and the bike dies, won't bump start and won't run. Push the bike off the road a bit so it doesn't get ran over or stolen then walk home and get the car and trailer. Get back to bike and realize my brother replaced the hitch pin with a bolt so the trailer won't tilt, glad the bike only weighs 300lb so I was able to lift it onto the trailer. Get home, start unloading and the neighbors dog walks over and takes a massive poo poo right in the middle of my driveway...wtf.

Guess I'm lucky it isn't a huge deal if I'm late to work...left the house at 6:15 and finally got to work 2 hours later.

Cakefool posted:

Unless you're loving welded to your couch with years of sweat and excrement I'm sure you could do wonders in 2 weeks with the right incentive? Like losing that money :haw:
Not sure if it's worth driving 4.5 hours (each way) to ride 1-2 hours each day and possibly end up in the hospital again.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I'm single because I don't put up with any bullshit/drama, am selfish, have way too high of standards, kind of an rear end in a top hat and don't want more people worrying about me. There's times when I'd like to have a relationship and get lonely but most the time I'm good. Being pretty average looking at best doesn't help.

So hallway lights went out an hour or so ago for testing, office lights went out 15 minutes ago. Still have power to outlets sadly otherwise I'd be heading home. Think I'm going to attempt to flush the brakes and clutch on the 928 this afternoon...wonder how many bleed nipples will be stuck.

Slow is Fast posted:

I don't play hard to get. I play hard to want.
That's pretty awesome, I may remember that one for my brothers wedding.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I realize I probably bitch about this every time I try to sell something but holy poo poo Craigslist is the reason I drink. I posted a bike for a pretty reasonable price and said it was negotiable, also specifically said "Do not text asking what bottom dollar is". 13 "what's ur bottom dollar/doller/$" since I posted, 4 since lunch today. Then some chuckle gently caress after texting back and forth and pretty much agreeing on a price expects me to deliver it to him three hours away for free.

Can't wait until I try to sell the 928 :suicide:

kastein posted:

I'm split between stainless steel, concrete, soapstone, and granite. Probably doing cheap lovely melamine/laminate for now but building the cabinetry to handle the load of a stone top just in case I get a bug up my rear end about it once I have the money to upgrade. Knowing my luck, I'll be about a minute from buying crappy laminate countertops and a random friend I haven't heard from in 3 years will call me up and ask if I want 200 linear feet of stainless countertop being torn out of a restaurant he's working on or something, just gotta pick it up tonight.
In which case you drive across the country fixing your vehicle as you go and have an epic tale to share with us. Of course once you get there you realize you can't haul that much but find a way.

bandman posted:

My wife found a 60s-vintage Sero Scotty camper for $700 that needs a good bit of work and fell in love with it.
Finally looked to see wtf a Sero Scotty was...those are awesome and you need to pick it up. I keep looking at old VW campers and old airstreams to fix to my liking but have too many projects going at the moment.

bandman posted:

I have already found something that will be an issue. The Scotty Hilander is about a foot too tall to fit through our garage door.
Renovation of camper and garage...perfect. Could you pull the wheels and put it on some heavy duty moving dollies? I've had to do that for a couple things before.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I lucked out with easy veins. On longer stays in the hospital they've used me to train new lab techs in, no one has missed but a few have gone straight through.

So this is on Craigslist locally and despite having no reason at all to buy it I really really want to. If any of you fools are interested I would gladly go look at it for you.

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/4438330759.html

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

poo poo...work is looking for someone to go cover a couple sites in Germany (Hannover area) for six weeks. If there wasn't a wedding and a Chumpcar race in that time period I would be on a plane asap. I'm still considering it but the timing is just so terrible.

Bank Talk: I lucked out and there is a really good credit union with an office on site. Awesome rates for loans/mortgage and decent interest. Now I just need to cancel my Discover card since I never use it anymore.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Crown Vic kid will be overseeing all the Audi drones in ~15 years. Or in jail. Either way win-win

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

My high school lot was ~40% trucks, ~45% falling apart beaters, 10% decent shape older honda/vw/etc and 5% cars too nice/new/expensive to be in a high school lot. I was fortunate and somehow was able to talk Dad into the idea of a kids car that could be passed down so we picked up a 1996 GTI (5-speed, 2.slow). It's a good thing we got the GTI because the alternative was a Wrangler and I ended up getting into track days and driving schools and the GTI did pretty good. Then my brother started driving it and promptly rolled it one weekend while Dad and I were at the track.

First car I bought with my own money was a 1995 Ford Ranger followed by the 1988 325is, 1990 Nissan Hardbody and 1980 VW Caddy...then I moved to Tennessee and started collecting German junk.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Cakefool posted:

A couple of weeks ago a lovely deep red beetle almost perfectly stock turned up in the car park at work, today a workmate sent me this:

Same car. I'm all for free expression through modifying your car, but when everyone modified their beetle the same way by ruining the paint and suspension it gets a little lovely.

That's all there is for running beetles around here if you go to a car show. There is one stock, very clean one that some guy daily drives where I work. Was one clean stock one at the last car show, I started talking to the guy and he's planning on slamming it on the ground, giving it a patina and rush paint job and some other stupid poo poo. I offered to buy it on the spot for what he paid but he wouldn't...poor car :(

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I really hosed myself over in my meltdown. I'm going to recover, but I managed to blow a significant chunk of my savings on partying and traveling, did irreversible damage to my liver, and ruined at least a couple of friendships.
The good news is your liver will regenerate pretty quickly :science: Welcome back

kastein posted:

Truck Stuff
Saw your post on FB, if I was closer I would have drove over purely for the entertainment.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

You can lose up to 70% of your liver function before you start getting negative effects from liver cirrhosis!
Mine was down below 20% function and was very close to needing to be transplanted. They swapped in new intestines and weaned off of IV nutrition (what was destroying the liver) and within a year I was back to around 75% function, another year and a half and my liver was as good as new. Pretty amazing what the body can survive through.

Unrelated...Big HPC systems are great when they run well and behave. When you go poke them and do maintenance things get ugly. What should have taken two hours this morning took ~6. That room gets cold fast when the system isn't cranking out heat.

Anyone want a 928? Thinking of just listing it as is and accepting any offer of what I paid or better to get it out of the garage and get some cash. That extra couple thousand would be more than enough to get the E21 finished up. Either flushing the brakes on that tonight or fixing the mower...again. I should really just buy a decent mower instead of loving around with hand-me-downs from coworkers.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

Anyone else have trouble using their clutch pedal in flipflops? The back of my sandals always catch on the floor and fuckup my depress/release action. The clutch pedal in the Miata is rubberized so I can do that one barefoot, the the 92x is pretty uncomfortable drilled metal. I wonder if my sandals have too much "lip" between the edge of my foot and the edge of the sandal, or if I shouldn't be pivoting on my heel when I clutch, or if it's just unavoidable.

Go barefoot or wear shoes, sandals are pretty poo poo for driving.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I've lost 14lbs in the last 6 weeks.

A girl just said my butt looked good. Total stranger. I feel loving awesome.

Well done, I've managed to put on ~2 pounds in the last month which for me is pretty awesome. Lots of potatoes, milk, meat and lifting...5.5k a day :suicide: Best part is my waist/stomach is getting smaller while everything else is getting bigger. Now I just need to continue this for a while and I won't look like poo poo.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Well crap someone wants to trade my 928 for a nearly completed R1 powered lotus 7 clone. I am very seriously saying yes and I would daily drive the hell out of 1100lb 180hp death trap. I would most likely die a very happy man wrapped around a tree.

I'm waiting on photos and a list of what "nearly complete" actually means.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Yes crank, I'm in the habit of just assuming crank unless someone specifically says otherwise. Still waiting to hear back...really hope it isn't a pile of parts that might possibly fit together to make a car.

In unrelated news this makes me happy...HVAC hasn't run at all for 17 days. Love this time of year.

poo poo I just missed a copy of Sled Driver for $100. I really want a copy of that book.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 14, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Still waiting to hear back...really hope it isn't a pile of parts that might possibly fit together to make a car.
Yup I was right damnit. Engine that 'should run' and a horrible hack job of a locost frame with a couple misc parts that likely wouldn't even work great with the R1 engine. Oh well the search continues.

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

I just want to read the drat thing. I can't even find a copy to borrow from the library.
If I get a copy I'll loan it out to AI regulars to read through.

Flushed the brakes on the 928, fixed the headlight issue and now it's wash time. Sure the VW gets 50mpg and the Porsche gets ~1/4 that but I'm going to DD the fucker for a couple weeks.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You know I never thought to check for it at the library. I imagine the lab library has a copy or two, they seem to have every other hard to find military/technical/historical book out there. I think I can check out books...guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow morning.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Woke up to this wonderful text message from my brother this morning "Since I owed taxes I don't get a refund. WTF" For some reason I don't think he understands how taxes work.

Saw Godzilla last night, had some pretty awesome moments and a lot of kind of boring poo poo. Last fight was pretty awesome and made up for them cutting away from all the previous fights. Felt like the wife/kid of the main guy were pretty pointless in the scheme of things. Overall pretty decent. why the hell did they kill of Cranston right away?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I know I mention this any time MPG and commuting come up but buy a MK4 VW Golf/Passat TDI. For commuting I see 48+, usually 50-51. Road trips cruising at 75-80 and it manages 52-53. poo poo even pulling a trailer the lowest I've seen in 43. It's boring sure but you can find them for ~5k pretty easy and the drat things will run forever if you maintain them once and a while. Mine is nearing 250k and I need to replace the worn out suspension but otherwise it's a great for my 22 mile (1 way) commute.

Rhyno keep that little Civic for a while unless you can turn it around now for $1500+. A running, reliable car that gets good MPG is worth way more than $500 pretty much anywhere. That stupid thing would be a 2k car here if you cleaned it up a bit.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 17, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

I found a new road near my house that I somehow had missed...I got air at 50mph in the 928. I can't wait to take the motard on that road.

Oh and the 928 is stupid and I shouldn't be allowed to drive anything with old tires, no LSD and that much torque.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

blk posted:

OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?
I love Esprit's but I'd go NSX because they are awesome to drive.

Tusen Takk posted:

What's the verdict on Rangers and Nissan Hardbodies?
I've had both and I think they were both 1991 models...they were also both <$500 cars that were falling apart. That being said the Nissan was more fun to beat the poo poo out of.

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Buuuuuuuut Delta Airlines had a pricing glitch for a couple of hours and I got two round trip flights to Hong Kong for....

$138 each. Came out to $1080 in total after fuel surcharge, fees, taxes, etc. I'm still in loving shock, I feel like I just robbed someone.
drat I need to re-setup my flight alerts on Slickdeals and similar.

So Netflix has been throwing LOST in my suggested viewing for a while, finally decided to watch an episode and see how lovely it is. I ended up watching about 3/4 of series 1 over the weekend. Enjoying it so far but I'm sure at some point they'll gently caress it up.

Stupid StraightTalk decided my APN settings are bad suddenly. Been working fine for ~9 months then go to use it the other day and no data. Not looking forward to sitting on hold with them.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 19, 2014

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

bolind posted:

So I'm either to a) pay for something I didn't order and don't need or b) go through the hassle of returning something I didn't order and don't need?
Option C: What note?

Apparently getting a German work visa is a complete pain in the rear end. Company has been working on it for the past week and a half with very little progress. They're in a lovely situation if the visa isn't granted and I can't go help out. Glad I just have to provide basic info when they ask for it.

In completely unrelated news one of Mom's dogs is having puppies Saturday. I should be flying in Wednesday or Thursday so they'll still be ugly little rats but whatever they're puppies.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

The 928 managed 15.2 mpg last tank :woot: good enough. Drove the TDI in this morning and was disappointed with how uncomfortable it is after driving the Porch for a while. 928 seats are great and feel like a lazy boy with bolsters and support, the TDI feels like a crappy generic seat which I guess it is.

Dangit I want 928 comfort with TDI mpg.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-928...007adf0&vxp=mtr

Also, my local yard has a 928 in inventory. Haven't had eyes on it myself, but it might be worth looking into if you have anything nearby.
That would look so strange but I guess that is one option.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How reliable is this beast? I mean, its a 34 year old car so there will always be annoying bullshit. But Motronic DD's his 944, and there are some of us that DD Rovers, so it cant be that awful.
Fixed that for you...34 years old. I have no idea but likely not as reliable as the VW. Honestly it's going up for sale this afternoon once I put the interior back together. Fun car but I'd rather have the cash.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Negromancer posted:

Obviously the proper fix is to put a tdi drivetrain in the 928......
Dad's trying to convince me to keep it and throw in an electric drivetrain. It already looks like a spaceship so if it sounded like one it would be even better. Problem is if I go electric I'm going to want similar power figures and ~50mi range which is expensive and heavy.

The 1977 320i may get an electric drivetrain since I think the engine is toast or at least in need of a rebuild. Last time we put fluids in it was good for a few days then I came out to a very large puddle :argh:

rscott posted:

Finally caught up with all the tool calibration bullshit that got dumped on me
drat that was some backlog, well done. Now as mafoose mentioned make sure to cover your rear end. I've found a good paper trail (should be easy with all the calibration records) is worth a lot. The joys of the corporate world.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

rscott posted:

Replaced my droid bionic with a Galaxy S5 and it feels like going from a 486 laptop to a MBP, god drat

I finally upgraded my phone today after thinking about it for way too long. 4 year old HTC Desire HD (hand me down from boss) to a Moto G (16GB). Not fancy but for $75 the price was right. Now I need to decide if I'm going to attempt to use straight talk overseas or just pick up a SIM once I'm over there.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Things that really make me pucker: When you're driving home and it's raining, so the lanes are harder to see.
I did this yesterday afternoon with the 928 which is poo poo in the rain to begin with. Left my house where it was sunny and great weather and head towards Knoxville...sky got darker and darker and the rain got heavier and heavier to the point where the wipers at max weren't doing poo poo. Somehow ~75% of cars were smart enough to turn on their lights and slow down to about 30mph so there were only a couple crashes. Another mile and the roads were dry and the sun was back out.

Anyone have advice for what to do when you're going to be away from your house for 2 months? I've done week and two week trips and don't worry much but two months I have no clue. I'm planning on turning the water heater way down, turn off water at all the faucets (should I just turn the house supply off?), physically lock the garage door and turning off all the breakers except refrigerator and the one powering my HVAC which I'll set to maintain 50-80. My brother will swing by once a week to check on things and let me know about any bills that show up. Have a neighbor taking care of the lawn and a couple neighbors keeping an eye on the house. Other than basically empty the fridge and clean the place am I missing anything?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

WTF happened, I go away for a day and there's 150 replies of hot sauce, women stuff and cats. You guys are wrong, cats are bad. Dogs are better :colbert:

I'm at my parents place for a few days so expect dog pictures. One just had puppies. This dummy hasn't left my side since I got home but that's likely due to food.

Some of those photos may even be focused and not entirely poo poo. Guess the cheap phone is cheap because the camera is junk.

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

First WRL race completed...12 hour endurance race at Brainerd International Raceway where it rained for half the day. I also drove for half the day and had maybe 4 laps where it wasn't pouring. drat good way to spend a day though, we even got my youngest brother to tag along as pit bitch. We got first in our class and 5th overall.

Driving music chat...I have a cheap Sansa Clip loaded up with Essential Mixes (BBC 1 radio show). Very good for road trips, fun drives and track days.

• Locked thread