Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
How much of that is the one-way charge? Could it be cheaper to fly/drive to the end destination, drive the truck back for loading and delivery, then return it to the same branch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

West SAAB Story posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be awkward now.
Who was doing the asking?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

If you make a word so powerful that some people cannot utter it, it becomes oppressively powerful. Instead, devalue it. Change the collective consciousness' view of the word. Face it, slavery was over more than 150 years ago. MANY generations before people living now ever faced it directly, regardless of race. If we devalue the word, instead of giving it tremendous power, THAT is the best way to foster equality.

That's meatpimp's idea for the day.
You know what? You're alright.

Even if you are from the colonies.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bucephalus posted:

Where's Geirskogul? I thought he was coming back.
You're asking us where someone is?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Cover it in vaseline at the contact points.

Obligatory "That's what she said".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I'm sensing a pattern in some of my bad dates.
I still don't really get why you had to have a date for the wedding. What's wrong with going on your own?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is it just a case of the US market stuff being poo poo? Because we finished the engine swap in my mate's A3 this weekend, and by and large it was a very easy car to work on.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If you have limited space, the cost of getting it shifted across town could be lower than the cost of having it take up space that could be an actual, paying job's slot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They get a lot of stick, but they really aren't a bad design, they just have the worst combination of a poo poo headgasket design and hilariously bad access to replace it. Supposedly the "final" head gasket version is a lot better. The hydragas suspension always struck me as being an excessively complicated way of doing things, too, but the later TF ones are on coils.

I think of them as being a bit like TR7s. Not particularly bad, but I just don't really see the appeal.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
They were all built in the UK until Rover copped it, the TF is the later model from the last few years before it happened. They moved production to restart in China a couple of years after that following the company sale, and then about a year or so later they started sending the cars as CKD kits to be assembled in the UK, only for them to stop again due to lack of demand.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Terrible Robot posted:

Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly.

meatpimp posted:

Tell her you're sorry.
poo poo like this (not you, meatpimp, the fact that this is how it is) is just depressing.

Terrible Robot posted:

If I thought saying sorry would help at all I would have called her back immediately to do so.

Don't ever date women with bipolar/borderline personality, and definitely don't ever loving get them pregnant. You cannot reason with her if she gets into a certain mood, anything you say is just going to make it worse. I am apparently a horrible person for wanting to go to my friends going away party on Sunday before he moved to Colorado because it was the anniversary of one of her brothers deaths. Of course she didn't mention any of this to me in the week or so leading up to the party, because I'm supposed to remember the date or some poo poo. I'm lucky to remember my own goddamn birthday let alone the day somebody I met maybe twice back in middle school died.

I'm so tired.
Kind of guessed something like this was coming.

Have a sleep on it. Go see a good friend and talk to them about it. Don't drink too much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cage posted:

You missed this part:
No, I didn't.

Cage posted:

I think meatpimp was saying he should apologize for the insult, not because they had a fight.
Yes, he probably is going to need to, but I can't say I blame him for his outburst.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cat Terrist posted:

The MG-F is the rear engine one, isnt it? Well it might have been regarded as okay if it wasnt for a certain other Birtish rear engined small sports car that flayed it. Just like the Lotus Elan (the FWD one) got flayed by the MX-5 - it wasnt a bad car TBF it was supposed to be a hell of a good handling FWD but the MX-5 blew it out of the water in comparision.

The MG-F and Elan do have redeeming features, but TBH the TR-7 isnt just a case of not seeing the appeal - if you know about these turds, you know why they should be approached with a flame thrower in hand. What an utterly woeful POS in every single possible way, not just British Leyland bad, but maliciously awful in a way that driving one is to hate your own existance. They not just defined Friday car, they showed that Thatcher for all her other utter poo poo was right to burn British Leyland to the ground, piss on the ashes and salt the earth it was on. The unions deserved to be blown from a cannon for their capricious attitude to motorist, where delivering cars WITHOUT GEAROBXES!!!! was acceptible quality control. I'm not kidding, TR-7's literally made it to new owners without parts of the driveline. Electricals were the height of Lucas. Poor handling? WHAT handling? If you want to list out how to gently caress up a car, just post a picture of a TR-7. I've drivien some bad cars in my time, but none where the wheel slop was so bad, I stopped because I thought the steering was broken. No, this was factory. And the 4 banger sounded like an asthmatic vaccuum cleaner.

Just like the 70's MG's, the TR-7 doesnt deserve anything more than a jerry can of petrol and a IED. Leyland's eventual death was well earned with this vindictive piece of poo poo it spat out.
Fair point...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

Counselor: OK, for our next session I want you to think of a totem that symbolizes who you are - some object, icon or picture.

Me: OK

*later*

Counselor: OK, did you choose a totem?

Me: Yes, I chose Concorde.

Counselor: The plane? Why's that?

Me: We both spend more money than we make, both can't see past the end of our nose, the 1% ride on our backs, we both like to go fast and we both have a drinking problem. :v:
Also, there was that time you got something shoved up your underside on a French runway...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Is Corky Bell's book still considered to be the go-to?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He has a supercharger-specific book as well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geirskogul posted:

Too bad I have to do all work on the side of the road at my townhouse, or else that would be a tasty proposition.
If you're going to choose a car to work on like that, a Beetle's one of the best.

My dad owned a succession of really manky Beetles back in the late sixties when he lived in Glasgow. He was halfway through an engine swap at the side of the road outside his tenement block, when a member of the local constabulary advised him that he would be well-served to no longer be involved in said activity when the officer concerned passed back that way in another half an hour. Being a Beetle, he did it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

A couple of weeks ago a lovely deep red beetle almost perfectly stock turned up in the car park at work, today a workmate sent me this:

Same car. I'm all for free expression through modifying your car, but when everyone modified their beetle the same way by ruining the paint and suspension it gets a little lovely.
What a cuntmonkey. I really hate it how people intentionally trash stuff for "rat look" or "patina" nonsense.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In the UK, it's pretty simple: Unsolicited goods, it's yours now, they can't demand you pay for it. If you're feeling nice, tell them the hours you are available for them to come and collect it themselves.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

on a completely different note...

someone just posted this on another forum I'm on.

I normally don't broach this subject... but a machine operator somewhere has been slacking.

but it appears someone's got some splinin' to do :haw:
:golfclap:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Extra posted:

On the upside people having to throw a lot of money at the initial investment means they don't end up as total beaters. Not that I ever really saw the draw or attractiveness of that era Corolla anyway beyond it being featured in some insanely unrealistic juvenile anime (same goes for Wangan) that encourages people to do some really dumb poo poo on public roads. Every time I see the local jackass with the adventure time drift charmed 240sx that clearly wouldn't pass state inspection hooning around parking lots and the other guy with the RedSuns sticker I'm reminded of just how impressionable and dumb people can be.

I'm tired of decent Japanese cars from the 90s being totally abused in the name of ~my animes~ basically. :rant:
Wangan Midnight is pretty silly, but Initial D generally does a much better job of technical accuracy than most films and TV do. The mistake is thinking it's about the same thing as twats in battered S-chassis covered in stickers are about (which, as it happens, is usually powersliding, not drifting), and it isn't. While it's effectively a car-based version of the stereotypical "development and growth" plot of any sports or fighting anime, at its core it hinges on the idea that a very good driver in a decent but not amazing car can humble some very fast machinery. And that is a very AI thing.

I do quite fancy importing a Trueno at some point in the near future, and I will indeed more than likely want it as a Fujiwara replica. But in doing so, it would actually be saved from the kind of numpties who actually trash the cars through either neglect or abuse.

Similarly, if I could have an early Mustang fastback, it'd be a Gunsmith Cats lookalike, not a Gone In Sixty Seconds Eleanor replica. (GISS replicas should, of course, be early seventies and yellow).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I suffer from the same issue a lot of the time - I'm very lucky to get early finishes on Fridays to let me sort out stuff like that, and work is cool with me having all my poo poo delivered there. It amazes me that there aren't services which do things like deliveries only outside normal working hours. Paying people for a shift that runs, say, 5pm-10pm has no reason to cost a great deal more than paying them to work 7am-noon if you don't have it as an additional shift on top of a "normal" day one.

I'm sure if someone did a deal with, say, Amazon and/or other big mail-order entities, people would be more than happy to pay a fraction more for a courier delivery to be guaranteed to be between when they get home from work and when they go to bed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

Pretty much that, except replace bedroom door with vet and vet tech.
What the hell kind of vets do you have in the US? My old man encountered his fair share of evil-minded animals, but if the owners weren't twonks and paid their bill (this is in a Yorkshire mining town, so actually a fairly open question), they got seen to. Occasionally with a bit of encouragement as to who was in charge, but treated nonetheless.

Useless owners are the biggest hazard to vets. "Yeah, don't worry about Tinkles, he's well behaved and I've got hold of his lead" *Looks dotingly at 150lb mastiff/Cerberus crossbreed with a facial expression of ill intent and possible history of PCP use, currently loosely attached to a bit of string*

Also, slight downside of the image of veterinary work veering toward cute and fluffy animals over the past twenty years is that you can end up with a staff almost entirely consisting of young women. Ever seen a 98lb girl barely out of college try to lift an unconcious 200lb St Bernard off an operating table? Doesn't work.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had a message from a friend of mine today:

:v: "Had to go in to work slightly early today, to ensure I got a spot in the internal car park. Gypsies have taken over the external car park."

Then an hour later:

:v: "Police have been contacted, but not sure if there will be much done any time soon. Nothing we can do but watch them squatting"

:confused: "Hang on, isn't it technically just trespassing if it's only land, not a building?"

:v: "No, literally squatting. Just seen one take a poo poo in the car park."

:gonk:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

goatse guy posted:

I can't believe I quit my job. Jesus Christ. I loved this job, but there's just nothing else going for me in Grand Forks.
Are you intending to stick with the same, or use it as an opportunity to change careers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had a couple of young guys stop outside my house today while I was outside working on the Disco. Throttle cable had snapped. I didn't have any way to fix it with properly, but I was able to use a tiny blob of weld to reattach the broken pieces, so the driver had at least some throttle control, and could go pick his girlfriend up from the shops and get to work tomorrow. :feelsgood:

• Locked thread