Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Cool, good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You end up loving the car i suppose.

I don't get the thread title, what's the joke?

Also, off to the scrap yard in a bit, man leisure time.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo just realized I signed up for a two day riding school months ago that's scheduled for two weeks from now. Thought I would be in better shape by now, lets hope they'll give a partial refund or something because there's no way I'd make it riding dirt bikes for 8 hours a day.

Unless you're loving welded to your couch with years of sweat and excrement I'm sure you could do wonders in 2 weeks with the right incentive? Like losing that money :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Please post a thread when you get it bandman. I read loads of forums on campers, campervans, teardrops etc, I'd love to see an ai resident redo one.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

If I had somewhere to store a car for a year I'd be jumping on a mint condition 37000 mile Volvo 244 right now, it's so frustrating.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wife was away with the older kid today so I was looking forward to spending time with our little girl. She falls asleep so I spent nearly the whole day fixing/cleaning stuff, and when I'd run out of that I started labeling stuff.

Trailer is finished though, ready to ruin it with trips to the tip and camping.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

A couple of weeks ago a lovely deep red beetle almost perfectly stock turned up in the car park at work, today a workmate sent me this:

Same car. I'm all for free expression through modifying your car, but when everyone modified their beetle the same way by ruining the paint and suspension it gets a little lovely.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Initialdave, check your PMs please.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I got a chromecast and f&f boxset for my birthday, the only thing I've watched since then is roadkill episodes and terrible car films.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yesterday planned to be a very productive evening after work with the eldest kid away at the inlaws, wife back late with the youngest. I'd even decided to get off my rear end, wrap it in spandex and go out for a ride.

6 hours of overtime and nearly an hours commute later I fell straight through the shower into bed. An amp so obsolete I had to phone a human to get hold of a fault code list failed with popped caps so without parameters or documentation we had to leapfrog 30 years of technology and throw in the closest amp we could find, then set it up by guesswork and feel. Straddling a 36kw 400v motor and shouting instructions to the bloke at the amp one direction, another at the controls in the other direction was fun. I learnt and promptly forgot a lot about motors yesterday.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

You couldn't just solder new caps in?

First thing we tried (56uF 400v electrolytic) that got it to the state it would power on and self test, giving us a short to ground on the outputs, which persisted when we disconnected the motor wiring :haw: There were a few other signs of corrosion on the board and it was nearly 30 years old, and we had another amp, and we needed the press that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Anyone know if there is an OBDII tool that uses one of the cheap OBD Bluetooth readers for iOS yet? I have an iPhone 5and iPad Air and was hoping to datalog with the iPad.

Not unless apple decided to play nice and make Bluetooth work.

• Locked thread