Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galler
Jan 28, 2008

For $3,000 couldn't you buy a beater pickup, full sized van, or even a commercial type truck like the rental places use and then sell it for about the same amount at your destination?

Whatever you buy will probably be just as reliable as the piece of poo poo they give you as a rental.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But the one idiot....

Won't give a gently caress about whatever the law does or doesn't say and will do it anyway.

e: so what I'm saying is that it doesn't matter what the GCWR is there will always be some idiot trying to tow something beyond their or their vehicle's (or probably both) ability.

Galler fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 2, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Holy gently caress what a whiney baby. That level of stupid power trippy bullshit is usually reserved for high school administrators.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm not sure about revoking a degree but universities won't issue you your degree if you haven't paid for everything.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

iv46vi posted:

Do they not have those (2% for everything, 4% on gas and groceries) cashback credit cards in the states? Paid off every month, so they make you money.

They do. I have one which I use like a debit card (never buy anything I don't have funds for in my bank account and pay it off immediately) and enjoy the free cash with the added bonus of all the protections it offers.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

$300 is probably close enough to the scrap value to make the difference worth not having to deal with craigslist people.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Took my final which was a joke like the rest of this class. So that's degree #2 completed and I'm definitely not going for a 3rd. New awesome job starts in two weeks :woop:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Is it weird that I feel guilty that I was never abused in any way? So many people I know were just wrecked by friends, family or people in a position of authority and I'm just over here dealing with being chubby.

I don't feel guilty about not being abused but I do feel a bit guilty every now and then when I realize how much poo poo I take for granted. Just stuff that should be normal but apparently isn't like having two good supportive parents, never having been poor, never been abused. Never really been bullied to any real degree either.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I think Mercedes is done with blowers for now. Cadillac stopped using them as well... the Corvette ZR1 was the last blown gm model that I can think of.

Some one correct me though if I am off.

CTS-V and Camaro ZL1 are still supercharged.

e: if I was going to have a FI car it would be something with a supercharged V8. I have no argument as for why I just love big blown V8s.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 11, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The (old) CTS-V is still being made, though. Or at least there are 2014 CTS-Vs for sale.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pretty sure all modern 1/2 ton gas trucks are more than capable of towing a STI while costing significantly less and having much cheaper parts. I'm not sure there would even be much if any MPG advantage towing that amount of weight either. Other than that though I love all the modern ridiculous diesel trucks. 440HP and 860lb-ft from the 2015 6.7 Power Stroke :allears:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Grand Prix GTP if I remember right. If I had found one for a reasonable price before I found my Fit I probably would have bought one. Supercharged 3800 :allears:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Baller Witness Bro posted:

Are we talking crank or real life hp?

It's always crank unless someone specifies otherwise.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Terrible Robot posted:

Sooo I have a question for the more knowledgeable and up-to-date computer guys in here. I've been (trying to) build a gaming computer for the last year. Back in the day when I was more involved in the computing scene AMD was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain when it came to processors and I love the hell out of my old Athlon XP based rig, which I still keep around for running older games. I intended to go with an AMD FX- series processor for my new system and purchased a mobo with that thought in mind. But all I seem to see in SH/SC and YOSPOS is post after post about how much AMD and their FX platform is utter garbage. I've tried actually wading through the SH/SC thread to get more information but I left with a migraine and feeling even more confused.

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

I've only had AMD chips for the past decade but my current PC just poo poo the bed and I went Intel* without even looking at what AMD has these days because god drat the hosed up bad with that last architecture.

*Can't wait till Friday when my parts arrive :fap:

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 15, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

After installing StartIsBack (which I will now admit is better than Classic Shell and worth the $5 or whatever it is now) I no longer have any complaints with Win 8 and see no reason to use 7.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Since we're talking about PCs again, I've got my new one all up and running now and holy poo poo. Going from a quad core Phenom II with DDR2 to a hyperthreaded hex core Ivy Bridge-E with DDR3 is a pretty big jump. Need to get a few more paychecks but soon I'll pick up another 48GB of RAM (for 64 total :swoon:) and couple more SSDs and I'll be able to ditch my HP DL180 G5s and run my home lab off of just my desktop. Faster, quieter, and more efficient. Technology is wonderful.

Overclocking has changed a lot in the past five years and also going AMD -> Intel but I've managed to fumble my way to having this i7-4930k running at stock speeds while undervolted and at 4.2Ghz under load with a very tiny bump in voltage. Might not even need that voltage bump but this voltage offset thingy doesn't seem to behave as advertised.

e: Also my motherboard came with a free copy of AssCreed 4 so I guess it's time to go have fun being a pirate and desperately trying to ignore whatever retarded plot ubi came up with this time.

Galler fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 18, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

T1g4h posted:

I'm not a huge fan of AssCreed games but 4 is pretty loving great. Treat it like Sid Meier's Pirates! but all grown up and you'll have the right idea. Customizable, upgradable ship with an open world where you can sail, capture defeated ships to start a merchant fleet, fight legendary ships for special upgrades, go diving for blueprints, capture forts to call your own, search random islands for treasure... I mean yeah, there's a story, but it takes a massive backseat to the exploration and free roam. AC4 is pretty much amazing. Like, it's my favorite game to come out recently, it's that good.

Will do, thanks. Also that seems to match up pretty well to Yahtzee's review. Ship stuff fun everything else ehh. I thought the first 3rd of 1 was OK, 2 was a lot better and pretty fun overall, Brotherhood was great, and I've not played Revelations or 3. I wish there was an option to autoskip everything related to whatever overarching plot ubi is working on (all the animus related stuff) because it's so bad it almost ruins the gameplay.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Everything. I'll admit this is slightly overkill but I'm going to use this thing every day for the next ~5 years so I don't mind spending a bit more. Especially now that I'm in the best financial situation I've ever been in.

e: a quad core i7 with 32GB RAM probably would have been enough but with this I won't ever need to choose between videogames and virtual machines and can also play around with RAM disks at the same time or something.

Galler fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 18, 2014

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Also running on like a dozen different pieces of hardware costing a small fortune in hosting fees because Radium.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

kastein posted:

InitialDave, I was wondering when someone would catch that one :v:

I enjoyed it as well but couldn't come up with a good response at the time. Good wordsmithing work.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Soooo anyway, a couple months ago or so I remember someone mentioning that they had gone to get their car inspected and the tech plugged something into their cigarette outlet for testing purposes and the poster wanted to know what the gently caress. I don't remember anyone providing an answer but I might have just missed it.

This is probably the answer. Short version is measuring inductance to determine when a spark plug fires and based on how often that happens (and probably some settings for number of cylinders and plugs) RPM can be determined.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That page is going to give Motronic a loving aneurysm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My new job loving owns. We did a 'team building' event today which would normally be awful but for this team meant going out to BFE and shooting guns and fishing all afternoon :allears:.

• Locked thread