Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

Come to Florida, the only state that has rust free cars with no emission testing that won't freeze you to death or kill you with tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis :smug:

I wouldn't say "rust free" universally. Salty, moist sea air is a bitch. It's warm and humid roughly 365.25 days a year in South Florida, so prepare to flop sweat when you walk outside in "winter". Central and North Florida are slightly more temperate, but much more redneck. Also, there are exactly zero fun driving roads in Florida, since it's all flat as a pancake.

I'm biased, but I like Georgia. Mountains and ocean within a 4 hour drive of anywhere in the state, cheap real estate, good job market, and nice weather. I'll concede the tornado thing, because we actually do get quite a few of those. Florida actually gets more than any other state, but most are waterspouts offshore or spawned from hurricanes, so you'd be evacuated from the area anyway.

We only do emissions inspections in 13 counties (out of 159) and the "inspection" process consists of looking under the car with a mirror to see if the catalytic converter is present and not bypassed. Yeah, we have some real shitboxes on the road, but gently caress paying 4x the price for parts just because they are CARB approved. Also, there's a rolling 25-year exemption, so once your ride is 25 years old, no more inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
My wife found a 60s-vintage Sero Scotty camper for $700 that needs a good bit of work and fell in love with it. She's committed us to picking it up in Columbia, SC on Saturday. The pictures the seller sent look like they were taken with a 15 year old cell phone, but from what I can tell, it seems to not be complete disaster. One corner definitely needs to be rebuilt from the inside out, but the rest looks solid. A full redo of the inside is in order, mostly to remove the shitter/shower because gently caress having to deal with a black water tank.

I have a feeling I am in for a world of pain, mold, and spending. Happy wife, happy life, I suppose.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

bandman posted:

My wife found a 60s-vintage Sero Scotty camper for $700 that needs a good bit of work and fell in love with it. She's committed us to picking it up in Columbia, SC on Saturday. The pictures the seller sent look like they were taken with a 15 year old cell phone, but from what I can tell, it seems to not be complete disaster. One corner definitely needs to be rebuilt from the inside out, but the rest looks solid. A full redo of the inside is in order, mostly to remove the shitter/shower because gently caress having to deal with a black water tank.

I have a feeling I am in for a world of pain, mold, and spending. Happy wife, happy life, I suppose.

Ok, having looked at photo albums and message board threads where these campers have been redone, I feel better about this trailer as a starting point and my ability to turn it into something usable. It looks like most of the time the whole drat thing has to come apart anyway to fix water damage or replace floors, so people just build a new floor and use the original parts as templates to cut new walls from plywood. Where I think we will have some difficulty is in the interior design stuff. I'm a geologist, she's an engineer, neither of us have any clue about aesthetics or design elements. Structural and mechanical repairs are no problem, but making it look nice is not our bag.

I see this as my wife basically telling me to buy more power tools, go to the garage, and build stuff. That's never a bad thing, right?

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

kastein posted:

Well as long as no one else ever looks at it (or you don't care what other people think, that works too) just build it how you guys are happy with it and call it a day.

If I end up doing my interior design and layout on my house (which is almost guaranteed), it's going to be pretty drat industrial/institutional. I'm OK with that, to hell with what anyone else thinks, stainless steel and plate glass everywhere! :v:

My wife and I both think industrial-looking stuff like poured concrete countertops and brushed stainless are loving awesome. If we re-do the kitchen in our next house, we are totally doing concrete counters.

edit: Yeah, that's the idea really. Make it functional for the two of us and both kids to stay there for 3-4 nights in a campground with power, water, and showers. We were looking at doing a teardrop style travel trailer, but I'm 6' tall and my wife is 6'1", so a low-profile teardrop wouldn't have worked for us.

She actually found this trailer through a Facebook group for women interested in travel trailers called Bitches with Hitches. We both had a laugh about that name.

bandman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 7, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Please post a thread when you get it bandman. I read loads of forums on campers, campervans, teardrops etc, I'd love to see an ai resident redo one.

Will do on the thread. Our goal is going to be to have it back on the road in liveable shape by the end of next May, so hopefully there will be a "Thread Delivers!" moment before the next Ice Age.

I have already found something that will be an issue. The Scotty Hilander is about a foot too tall to fit through our garage door.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Our dearly departed catte, a 25-lb tabby named Gromit, had a protective streak in him. He was an indoor cat mostly, but he would come out in the yard if we were doing light yard work or something. The neighbor's harmless, dipshit dog Chopper (big, fat beagle mix) came trotting up to say hello and Gromit immediately went into "GET THE gently caress OUT!" mode, got down as low as he could, ears back, fuzzed his tail, and charged that dog. Once he took off, all I saw was a trail of leaves flying and his tail sticking up. Chopper ran for her life and never set foot in our yard again.

This is the same cat that was laying in the sun on the sidewalk one day, when a chipmunk (being toyed with by our other cat) actually ran into his fat rear end and he just looked at it and did nothing. He just watched it run off into the brush, the lazy gently caress. I miss fat boy :(

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
3 years ago, I was moving a rear axle around in my garage and dropped one end on the ring finger of my left hand. It didn't hurt too bad initially, but about 10 minutes later, it felt like my finger was being repeatedly smashed with a sledgehammer, but still nothing past the knuckle closest to the fingertip.

Somehow, the fingernail didn't fall off or even bruise too badly. It took almost two years for the feeling to return to that fingertip. Never lost function or anything, just completely numb. I think the axle must have landed mostly on the joint and just severed some nerves.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Holy poo poo, I got another parking warning yesterday. Same situation.

I parked around 8PM, and got on the train that arrives at 8:19. Got to my car at 4:40 the day after. Another warning on my car.

I admittedly suck at math, but last I checked, that means I was only parked there for ~21 hours. Again, it's free for 24 hours. Fuckin' parking enforcement.

I got a parking ticket for parking in front of my own goddamn house a month or so ago. Turns out that if the parking ticket isn't signed by the recipient of the ticket, they will throw it out in court. Granted, I had to take time out of my day to go to traffic court to save $35, but I found out that parking tickets in Cobb County pretty much can't be enforced. Gotta love stickin' it to The Man.

I still can't believe that some cop was bored enough to go down my street ticketing everyone parked on the curb. I'll fully admit that I was *technically* parked illegally, since there are "No Parking" signs placed sporadically on sign posts, but nobody abides by the signs. There are at least a dozen cars parked on the curb at any given time. It's not like I was parked there for a week or something either. My wife's dad and his wife were in town for the night and I didn't want them to have to park on the street, but I didn't want to block anyone in either.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Leaving tomorrow for a road trip to my wife's family farm in Kirksville, Missouri. 800 miles in the car over two days with two kids, ages 2 and 5, and a wife who is constantly angry at the world (and me by association) for some reason or another.

This will end well, right? RIGHT???? :shepicide:

Also, if anyone is within an hour of Kirksville, I'd be down to get drinks or something since I'll probably be looking for a reason to GTFO after the kids go to sleep. Not that anyone is likely to be reasonably close to Kirksville, since it is apparently the geometric center of the middle of loving nowhere. To get to Kirksville, take I-70 to Columbia, then go north on US-63 until you're sure you must have passed it because surely nothing can be this far away from modern soci...oh, 50 more miles to Kirksville. It's about an hour south of the MO-IA state line.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
I did forget to mention the main thing I'm excited about on this trip (aside from spending time in the woods with my kids, of course), which is that I get to drive the tractor :getin:.

It's a 40s-vintage Ford tractor and I've seen it before, but I didn't get to drive it because it was loving 6*F last time I was out there and there was no way in hell the tractor would start in that weather.

I've never driven a tractor before, so I'm giddy about finally getting to drive one. This is all assuming we can get it running, since it really isn't used much anymore. Supposedly it will usually start pretty easily after farting around with the carb and the points.

bandman fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bandman
Mar 17, 2008
Just got back from a week at my wife's family's farm in northeast Missouri. We left Saturday morning, drove 500 miles and stayed at her sister's house outside Nashville last night, drove the remaining 300 miles home today.

800 miles in a car with a 5 year-old, a 2 year-old, and my legs covered with bug bites and poison ivy. Somehow I did not drive the car off a loving bridge and we made it home intact.

Actually being at the farm was pretty fun, aside from the aforementioned poison ivy and bugs. I got to fix and drive a 1948 Ford tractor, climb and fix a windmill, shoot guns in the middle of loving nowhere, and generally have a redneck good time. The kids had fun too. The highlight of the trip for my son (age 2) was splashing around in a little creek naked and for my daughter (age 5) it was probably getting to paint with her 95 year old great-great aunt.

Auntie Clara is a loving awesome almost-centenarian. She lives on her own on a working farm (farming hay and corn/soybeans), has a masters degree in art from Cornell, taught art at Colorado, still paints professionally, and cross country skis across her farm when there's enough snow. I hope I have half as much fight in me at 95 as she does.

• Locked thread