Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

animeliker posted:

Hello AI. All of the cars you like are bad. All of them.

I know, mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

While we're on a topic of moving, gently caress Canadian business.

One-way move in the States? No problem, everybody is doing it. Special offers, discounts, pricematching, etc. Penske truck from Buffalo to Seattle is just over 1000 with unlimited mileage.

Penske doesn't do one way moves in Canada. Almost no one does but Uhaul. Price of Toronto to Edmonton one way is just under 3000. Plus insurance and enviro fees. Time to practice garage sale skills.

Wait, you live in Edmonton now? We should arrange something.

I actually want to see businesses try and pull some of the same poo poo they do in Canada in the US just to watch their offices get burned down. Even your most liberal Portlandist would launch Molotov cocktails through the window of UPS when they ask for a 20% surcharge, COD, to deliver something in addition to the shipping cost.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 01:35 on May 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

Don't you guys have a somewhat functional healthcare system? You have to fund that somehow, right?

We fund it through taxes and duty, yeah. UPS asks for a little more sometimes for their trouble. The last time I got something shipped over the border, UPS asked me for $32 at the door to cover the bother of having to give my government the money I already paid them to ship it. Then they took that $32 back to America with them where they probably spent it on cocaine or Goldman Sachs bailouts or something.

You can also pay the government the couple of bucks to clear it yourself, if you want to drive across town for it: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah I would probably hold my nose and vote Conservative if he strung one of the UPS board members up on the Peace Tower to serve as an example.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

phade posted:

Hey Alberta posters, who else is excited to hear people crying about the weather all weekend?

Dunno about you but I've been tooling around in my Miata just fine today and probably will continue to do so. Tell that to Nancy McTwentyUnder though.

I deeply regret not going back in time and forcing the guy who built my garage to add a heated floor system though.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

UPS are god damned criminals. I will not buy anything from a US vendor that doesn't offer USPS shipping unless I absolutely need it. I've had duty charges range up to 40% of the value. For reference, Canada post will charge tax (15%) plus a small fee to clear things from USPS.

These days with the dollar at 0.9 it doesn't make sense to shop USA unless there is a huge price gap. Tirerack and discount tire used to be the best prices around but these days Canadian retailers are getting better. I got my 245/40/17 rs3s for 900 shipped from a Canadian site.

If you're close enough to the border it usually makes sense to go across. I went a few weeks ago to get tires and miscellaneous RockAuto stuff. Some stuff from RockAuto was cheaper to ship to my house than to ship to Montana, oddly enough - they must be improving their Chinese supply chain and shipping out of Richmond for some big things now.

Anyway, this last time I got burned pretty bad - lady at the desk argued that all parts for an import car, even if they're aftermarket, need to be taxed at the non-NAFTA duty rate. Welcome to a $280 border bill; I could only argue so much with her and I'm glad I at least got the BFG Rivals off the non-NAFTA list.

Usually they see the spreadsheet I put together with "non-NAFTA" and all the other math done and are fine with it, but this time (for a few factors, probably some on my end too) it didn't work out. Still saved like $500-600 in shipping though, so I came out ahead in the end (as long as my time is free).

The border also gives you the exciting opportunity to be interrogated by various border guards as to your nefarious activities. We also watched a guy in front of us in line pick up a discarded box of beer from the side of the road and put it inside his car before driving up to the border terminal, which made the border guards freak the gently caress out and search him with dogs.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 2, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Is the MGF the one that they built in China or is that just the TF?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I know Amandyke had a hell of a time with it a few years ago but I don't know if it was ever resolved. Blew out a seal or something.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

Crown Vic kid will be overseeing all the Audi drones in ~15 years. Or in jail. Either way win-win

Crown Vic kid is one of us, not one of Them.

When I was in high school it was all Honda Accords. I guess the oil boom really is back.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I wish he'd get Kindle versions of his books. I have them in print but sometimes I want to search 'em.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Allpar had an interview with an engine designer who was pissed that the K-car turbos weren't supercharged:

quote:

Our biggest difficulties lay with detonation, or the detonation sensor which was, I think, unreliable. Given this, the specified fuel could not be regular octane. I fought this battle and eventually won something in the owners' manual saying better performance and longer life could result from the use of high octane fuels. This was a big breakthrough. I had several different turbo lease cars and they were fine; they never tasted low octane fuel.

[...]

One other thing I mention only because I am still disappointed that I couldn't even do a quick and dirty job setting up a car using the EYT Rootes-type supercharger for a demo. CHRYSLER WANTED A TURBO.

The 2.2 was not designed for a turbo. Turbos are for racing. Too much heat for normal driving. We should have gone with that Eaton Rootes-type supercharger. We had a [supercharger] unit, from Eaton, but I couldn't even get permission to do a quick 'n' dirty job with it. I begged for a test cell and six months to produce something that would counter the high friction and make decent economy. Nope, they were fixated on the turbo. After all, it was good enough for Formula 1.

Burke Brown, leader of LX engineering, added: “... I lived through the variable-nozzle turbo, and [exhaust rust and dirt clogging] was an issue there too. But what we would do with that is every time you start it up, we’d swipe them back. You’d flip the nozzles back and forth a few times to kind of clean off any deposits that were built up.”

The 1986 fast burn head helped; dyno tester Ed Poplawski wrote, “I worked on this a little bit. We ran Fast Burn heads on the 2.5L and the big advantage that I remember was that with the Fast Burn head, wide open throttle spark timing was lower than with the standard head, so you didn’t have to worry about spark knock too much and you didn’t need premium fuel. That made a big difference for the turbocharged engine.”

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/22t.html

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

blk posted:

Have you guys ever shipped anything Greyhound? Apparently they carry packages as well as people; $70 to get a bumper cover here. I'm not sure if they bring it up in the cabin or slide it down in the baggage compartment or what. Kind of worried about the thing getting banged up.

I've used it for swaybars before, worked great. They put it in the bin under the cabin or on a little trailer.

Whenever I've ridden Greyhound the cargo loaders have not been gentle. A bumper cover should be fine if it's wrapped with plastic or some kind of padding and then thrown into a box.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Great Beer posted:

You know after all the posts and pictures about seafoam making a huge cloud of smoke I'm a little disappointed all I got was a few weak puffs. Maybe I did it wrong.

I stalled my car on it and when I restarted it, it only emitted weak little puffs. I went "oh."

Then I went for a drive and smoked out the block. And found two exhaust leaks.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I really want an ACVW but all of the bodies here are rusted to poo poo. It'd be fun to build a baja bug (whether Subaru engined or not) but it feels wrong to be forced to store a tough, cheap offroad car indoors to keep the weather from eating it.

Maybe a Cali shell, if any still exist...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Having met tons of AI posters in person, I can confidently state that I would neither fight nor employ another AI poster to fight any of them.

How is the comic book forum always the alpha-male gently caress contest subforum on SA? Maybe I don't spend enough time on the rest of the forums, but it seems like the comics one is the only one with always some variation of this conversation:

"uhh I really love Bendis"
"Bendis is a hack"
"I'm going to hit you in the face with a tire iron repeatedly until the cobblestones run red with your heathen blood."

I guess Trad Games used to be pretty bad too.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 20, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

bandman posted:

I got a parking ticket for parking in front of my own goddamn house a month or so ago. Turns out that if the parking ticket isn't signed by the recipient of the ticket, they will throw it out in court.

How is this supposed to work? Is the cop supposed to notice that you are illegally parked, then track you down as the owner of the vehicle and force you to sign the parking ticket in order to make it valid?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
He'd post a how to on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I hope your and your cat's health improves STR.

Glad your bp is down though.

• Locked thread