Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're coming from Australia because you're tired of hearing about THE BOATS, you may want to scratch Florida off the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Omaha is an awful, awful town.

I'm moving there in a few weeks so I'm interested in hearing more specific negatives.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
What are OCD charts like, anyway

Like do the doctors show the patients the charts and then get a fusilade of abuse about how the axes are wrong and the precision is all off

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Doc seriously I get that this data is very concerning, but don't you think it would be conveyed better if the bars were different colors and maybe had some shading?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

There is a difference between marginal tax rates shrinking your extra OT pay below what you expect it to be, which is what the Cato article says and is correct, and tax rates actually meaning you're working for negative pay, which isn't really correct.*

* What can happen is you can reach certain benefit thresholds, like a small increase in pay causing you to lose a large childcare subsidy, or lose your ACA subsidy. That's not marginal tax rates, though, it's not all that common, and people near those thresholds tend to be pretty aware of them. There's also weird poo poo with the AMT but again if that affects you you're usually pretty aware.

People also get confused because withholding generally just extrapolates that pay period to the entire year, and withholds based on that estimated income, so if you get a really big paycheck, an unusually large amount gets whacked for taxes, but that all comes out at the end of the year.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I use Fidelity for banking. It works fine, they do check deposit over smartphone and refund all ATM fees, and with tricks you can earn OK interest. You can also pair it with their credit card to get 1.5% back. Only downside is it's a pain if you need to withdraw a lot of cash in a hurry, but that's going to be true of any non-local bank.

For obvious reasons the banks you want to do savings / cash management with are usually not the places you want to do loans with.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Chase is one of the worst possible picks. Not quite BoA but certainly up there. Since Rhyno specified not a BIG BANK I imagine they're ruled right out.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
For a track taxi? Can you pull an STI behind a Sprinter or Promaster instead?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

blk posted:

Anyone else have trouble using their clutch pedal in flipflops? The back of my sandals always catch on the floor and fuckup my depress/release action. The clutch pedal in the Miata is rubberized so I can do that one barefoot, the the 92x is pretty uncomfortable drilled metal. I wonder if my sandals have too much "lip" between the edge of my foot and the edge of the sandal, or if I shouldn't be pivoting on my heel when I clutch, or if it's just unavoidable.

It took me a moment to realize I wasn't still in Cycle Asylum

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Geirskogul posted:

So that guy on craigslist with the beetle with "title in hand"? The one I've scheduled a time with a week in advance? The one I moved my work schedule around for so I could drive two hours to pick it up tomorrow 0800? "Can't find the title, sorry. You can still look at it if you want, though."

Words can't express the rage.

I'm supposed to be meeting a guy to sell a truck this morning and I had a 2 AM panic attack that I hadn't actually seen the title for it in ages. It turned out to be exactly where I thought it was, but I was seriously worried I was going to be That Guy for a good several minutes. Went ahead and laid hands on the titles to my other vehicles just to be sure.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

AMD's fine for low end stuff, also for space heaters; but their high end stuff just doesn't hold a candle to the i5/i7.

The problem is that they hold way too many candles

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Super Aggro Crag posted:

He asked what kind of testing equipment I've used and I couldn't remember the brand name. It was on the tip of my tongue. As I got into my car my brain screamed, "FLUKE GOD DAMMIT, FLUKE!"

Did you say multimeter / clamp-on ammeter / o-scope / vibration analyzer / whatever? The brands are pretty irrelevant.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Great Beer posted:

Got a flat today. A little piece of metal was poking out. It kinda looked like a broken off washer or a key. So the tire shop pulled it out with pliars and

:stare:

kastein posted:

How did they get the dollar bill out of the tire without tearing it? That's impressive.

yes, I know it's just for scale

That's nothing, the blade was originally much bigger but that was before the tire had all that deflation

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
And some wonder why people of a certain age think, instead of a bailout, GM not only should have been left to die, it should have been burned and the ashes scattered.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm in west Iowa tonight and there seem to be an unusually high number of people with visible tattoos on their heads

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Having met tons of AI posters in person, I can confidently state that I would neither fight nor employ another AI poster to fight any of them.

How is the comic book forum always the alpha-male gently caress contest subforum on SA? Maybe I don't spend enough time on the rest of the forums, but it seems like the comics one is the only one with always some variation of this conversation:

"uhh I really love Bendis"
"Bendis is a hack"
"I'm going to hit you in the face with a tire iron repeatedly until the cobblestones run red with your heathen blood."

I guess Trad Games used to be pretty bad too.

You mean the forums full of tales of musclebound cartoon superheroes and roleplaying alternate realities full of heroes and magic tend to be frequented by posters with power fantasies? Incomprehensible!

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

leica posted:

They gave us a 2013 Impala to drive in the meantime, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not that much better than my '96 Camry :v:

Literally millions of prospective Impala customers beat you to that revelation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Find a decent deli and get some vegetables on your sandwich, even eat a salad once in a while perhaps???

• Locked thread