Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Just practice getting moving without touching the gas, just put it in gear and let the clutch out sloooowly. Once you can do that without stalling, it's pretty easy to use the throttle to do it faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Last day of bullshit hybrid/alternative fuel classes today, I officially learned nothing (well, the physical layout of a Prius transmission, but i already understood the operating principle of it so bleargh). $500 down the drain (including mandatory textbook), but at least I'll finally have this loving degree after 4 obnoxious years.

One guy did a burnout in his classic GTO in the morning. The teacher made a big stink about vandalizing government property, spent 45 minutes of class time lecturing him, calling the police and eventually having security send him home for the day (forcing him to miss the final and have to re-take it next year), and then apologized that the student was so disruptive. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Bucephalus posted:

Were you supposed to be emotionally traumatized by a car guy doing a car-guy thing in a cool car at car college? :confused:

Yes, we poor innocent babby mechanics.

He (the teacher) was actually talking about pressing charges for defacing public property because of *drumroll*... the tire marks on the pavement. They were practically blowing away in the wind. One of the other guys swept it up while he was in the department office raging; when he saw it he came inside and finger-wagged us about tampering with evidence in a police investigation. He actually said the words "It's like cleaning the blood up at a murder scene, if I find out who did it you're in a world of trouble."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfelqZpapZA

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

no one had the balls to call him out on the last day? I think comparing a burnout to murder would have people questioning his sanity. Somebody had to have said something.

Haha you think they listen to the students.

I could write a book on how terrible the staff in the automotive department is. Less-than-zero effective communication (they gave me wrong information, which I've posted about before), lessons depending on manufacturer-specific database access that, whoops, they don't get until halfway through the second week (out of two, so closer to the end of class than the start), assignment paperwork that they screw up and end up taking so long to fix that our hour lunch break stretches nearly to three, ineffective use of class time... 4 years down the line, I genuinely regret starting that program in the first place. They literally do not give a gently caress about the students, or helping us get placed in co-ops (the guy in charge of it back in 2010 literally told me "Yeah, go look for shops and ask if they want to take you on as an intern!"; that's how I wound up at loving Sears). The best old guy professor they had quit because they slashed mantrans/differentials and autotrans classes to 2 weeks each to make room for this stupid hybrid class; he did everything over his 55-year career as a tech, but specialized in transmissions, so this didn't sit too well with him, so he retired early (85, but he could have worked til the day he died; you know the type). Hell, they nearly had a nighttime high performance class that would have been taught by Buddy Hendricks, but they wanted to dumb it down so much that he told them to pound sand and it never happened.

gently caress it, though, this was the last class I needed, and once my degree audit processes I will never need to set foot in that building or talk to the staff ever again. Good riddance.

Anyway, got some good news RE my next degree today! Due to having passed calc 1 in high school, I thought I would have to re-take it, which my window to do so in summer closed; so I thought I would have to wait til fall, and take subsequent classes (which I meet pre-reqs for but don't remember the necessary math) afterwards, which would have put me finishing the AA next summer at the earliest, possibly even fall. HOWEVER, today I was informed about a free education resource website, which given that I have nearly four months until fall will be plenty of time to review all the calc stuff I've forgotten, which due to the precise classes I have left means I could finish next spring instead, AND have 7 days a week available this summer to look for and work a full-time job! (I have Chemistry, but that's 2 nights a week)

Between that and finishing the automotive clusterfuck for good, one of my better days overall.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So anyway I'm drinking to celebrate the end of the bullshit. Semi-ghetto rusty nails with Mclelland Islay malt and red Stag honey tea, New belgium Trippel. Gonna be a good night.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

"Job creators" is a misnomer. Watch "Inequality for All," available on Netflix. It is fascinating and a good summary of current events.

Uhhhhhh excuse you, don't you know as soon as someone makes enough to pay all their bills and save for retirement, and and all excess immediately goes to opening up a small business and hiring dozens of employees at $15 an hour? READ A loving BOOK!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What the actual gently caress is happening in AI today?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Personally I feel red avatars are where it's at.

:smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I found a bottle of Smirnoff Whipped Cream vodka I got as a houewarming guest-gift around Christmas. Which I guess is just sweetened, because what flavor does whipped cream have besides sugar and fat? But I digress.

Trip report: not bad on its own, but it makes for a bangin' white russian.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Worst cinco de Mayo ever, I got to spend 9 hours in loving Seminole County Courthouse to not get picked as a juror.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

rscott posted:

I like all of these things, I just feel like I'd be actively detrimental to the life of anyone I'm actually attracted to

Are you me?

That's my biggest problem, honestly. Every few years I get in a really good mood, forget about my insecurities, and actually talk to women for once; at that point I have no problem "sealing the deal", as it were, whether it be dating for a while until I get bad again, or just a one night stand. It's getting over that initial "NO LOOK AWAY SHE DOESN'T WANT YOU YOU DON'T DESERVE TO EVEN TRY" that gives me problems.

I am the gooniest loving goon on the face of the planet, despite showering daily.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mafoose posted:

I take it the stock pan is aluminum? If so, I'd take a thread insert over threaded aluminum any day. That said, the proper way to do it would be removing the pan, and if you're going to go that far, a new pan might not be a bad idea.

Most aluminum pans I've seen come with steel thread inserts already, so those are what got chewed up.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blk posted:

Counselor: OK, for our next session I want you to think of a totem that symbolizes who you are - some object, icon or picture.

Me: OK

*later*

Counselor: OK, did you choose a totem?

Me: Yes, I chose Concorde.

Counselor: The plane? Why's that?

Me: We both spend more money than we make, both can't see past the end of our nose, the 1% ride on our backs, we both like to go fast and we both have a drinking problem. :v:

:golfclap:

Keyfobchat: I don't know wbout other makes, but on Mazdas (source: my Protege and my sister's CX-5) the first press of the lock button just locks the doors, the second arms the alarm and blips the horn. I believe the Toyota/Lexuses I've driven work the same.

Sure the alarm won't really deter a thief, but it at least lets you know that hey, someone's loving with your poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Maybe mix a little ATF in there, too.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

meatpimp posted:

The best thing I learned from Corky Bell wasn't from his book, it was in his shop. I had my Miata there and I was talking to him about turbo timers (lol, '90s). He took the turbo inlet pipe off my car with it running and showed me that when it was idling that the turbo wasn't even spinning. With that, as long as you idle for a little bit before shutoff, that's really good enough.

Since then, I've never worried about beating on a turbo car, driving sanely the last couple miles, then shutting it off.

I think the real concern isn't so much giving the turbo time to spin down, it's the amount of heat that builds up in the turbine housing which, if oil stops flowing and just sits there, will degrade and eventually start coking inside the center section, which is bad for obvious reasons.

Driving sanely like you said still solves the problem, though. Personally I'd never install a system that makes it easier for my engine to run without the key in it, it's just begging to be stolen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also the new Z06 is supercharged, as will (presumably) the proper ZR-1 replacement if it ever materializes.

I was also gonna add the Bugatti Galibier (same engine as the Veyron, but with twin blowers instead of quad turbos), but it looks like they declared that dead last year in favor of the Veyron replacement.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I went back to the gym last night! :unsmith:

And now I've been up all night and can't sleep! :unsmigghh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Of course all the former Soviet states are in the top category.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

I'm down 10 pounds since New Years and I haven't changed my diet at all or set foot inside a gym.

Sucks for you guys with the slow metabolisms I guess

:smug:
:yosbutt:

I think lifting thousands of Jeep and M54 parts counts as a gym for all practical purposes. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So my sister is moving back to Orlando from Ann Arbor next week. I'll be flying up Thursday, First Class. :smug: (it was a $22 upgrade on a $470 ticket, no-brainer.)

She'll be hanging with her friends up there one last time on Friday before we pack that night. Don't know if I'll have transportation, but assuming so, any particular must-see sights in the area?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

Unless you have time to go to the Henry Ford Museum, no not really. Ann Arbor is fun to walk around and go drinking in but there is very very little to do in Southeast Michigan at this time of year.

I assume you meant to quote me. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Timmy Cruise posted:

It can be. That's only $400 ish per ticket. Especially Canada to Hong Kong or similar.

I was gonna say, even Orlando to Detroit 1-way is like $250; not at all unreasonable considering you're traveling like 5x the distance (twice), plus crossing borders.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Best car commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sZuN0xXWLc

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gently caress EVER GOING ON ANY ROAD TRIPS WITH MY loving FAMILY FOR ANY REASON EVER THE FUCKA GAIN

THAT IS ALL

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

god drat promiscuous whores having the sex with loving assholes who treat them like poo poo instead of me dammit i told a girl her panties looked lovely and she just sprayed me with loving pepepr spray

"oh waaahhhh we're so oppressed guys rape and kill us for dressing wrong" listen you slut bitch i got an hardon from you flaunting your body at me do you have ANY IDEA how humiliating that is?

support #mensrights #mra #notallmen #whoresluts

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

blk posted:

You can take offense to your sex being generalized without being the typical goon/redditor.

Yes. I'm a strong advocate and supporter of equal rights and treatment for women, and I act on those beliefs in my daily life and through established political mechanisms. When Jezebel fans start screeching about all men being rapists and it floods my social media feed, it pisses me off. When the latest internet feminist campaign says men shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves against generalizations in feminist debate, it pushes me off the edge. Its just as bad as what some men do to women. Just because I was born with a penis doesn't make me a chauvinist.

how many fedorae reside within your wardrobe?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone needs to put a D16 in a Vette, or hell, even an F-body of some flavor (it would probably be an improvement in an Iron Duke Camaro :mmmhmm:)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit mother we have a perfectly functional dryer don't hang your clothes outside to dry in the humid Florida air where it rains almost daily and then come bitch at me when they get rained on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I'm a predictable twat and listen to mostly mainstream thrash and NWOBHM (no points for guessing specific bands).

• Locked thread