Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

man, that sucks :( I hope he pulls through but that really doesn't sound good.

I didn't give a rats rear end about cars or driving in high school. Still didn't for the first few years of college.

Around 2006 I was pushed to get my license and still didn't really give a poo poo, at least till I borrowed one of the family beaters to go back to school. That was pretty awesome, still didn't care about cars as long as they ran and drove...

My requirements for my first car when I decided to buy it in 2008, right after getting my first job:
1. must be boxy and 80s styled
2. must be 4x4 because Reasons
3. must be automatic because I have no interest in learning to drive stick
4. must run and drive

With that in mind I was looking for a K5 Blazer, second or third gen Bronco, or Jeep Wrangler.

Then I ended up with a horrible rotted hosed worn out Cherokee because Wranglers were out of my price range. The rest is history.

(my parents thought I should use the $3k I'd saved up to put a down payment on a nice Honda. Glad I didn't do that.)

Hey, my first (and current) car is also a Cherokee. It's my dad's old Cherokee that he drove until the clutch broke, and then sat for about 7 years until I got off my rear end and started working on it. Then stopped working on it for another year or two cause I bought a project car, drove their car, and didn't really need one of my own. Also transmissions were expensive.

Long story short I got it up and running and it runs like a new car now. Also I am a crazy person who's put about $4000 into a car worth $300.

Although in my defense the car has sentimental value. My parents bought it a month before I was born, and it's been with them since. I've the thing my whole life and plan on keeping it indefinitely. And there's honestly not a lot I can complain about with that car. Except that oil refuses to stay in the engine for whatever reason.

ExplodingSims fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Terrible Robot posted:

That's a feature, it's the built-in rust prevention system.

Oh I'm well aware of that. I can't hate the lack of rust on the underside.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I keep trying to think of new cars I want, but nothing really makes me that excited about them. Old cars however, I've got my wishlist made up:

I want a '48 Chevy Loadmaster/6400 converted to be car carrying flatbed, '48 Lincoln Continental swapped with a more powerful/exciting engine, and maybe some form of a 40's Buick Ambulance or something.

Of course, my impossible to obtain dream truck is an old school car carrier semi, like so:

You can find those Chevy COEs easily enough, but I'm guessing all those trailer have been lost to time. :smith:

Still though, a man can dream....(about having a job that lets me afford all this...or the metal working/engine working skills to pull any of this off.)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

kastein posted:

I still want a Jeep J20 or J3000 Gladiator, an M715, an M816, and maybe an M123A1C. I might get an e30 or something if I go nuts, but I can hold 0.95G turns in the XJ, and go fast enough to get myself in a lot of trouble, so I'm not sure what purpose it would fulfill. One of those dinky old subarus would cut down on gas a lot... but I can't find one with the right options (4wd, manual) in my pricerange.

So basically all really big ugly old trucks. Need something really big towed or hauled though? How slow do you want to go and how much fuel are we talking? :haw:

A buddy of mine had a J20 back in High school, and at the time I thought it was a kinda ugly truck, but now I wouldn't mind having one. It's a good looking truck, nice and square as a truck should be. Properly Modded to be used for offroading of course.

Also had to GIS a few of those Military trucks and I think I might want a M816 too, I can see where having a big ol Crane truck might come in handy. :haw:
Although realistically the next vehicle I'm probably going to be driving is some E-series van, if this HVAC tech course I'm taking pays off. How exciting.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So after reading about the 30th anniversary of the Sunshine Skyway collapse I realized I had never actually seen that bridge in person. Happened to be in Tampa today to see some relatives, so I decided to check it out while I was there. Gotta say that is a really pretty area around the bridge. Should have brought a pole to do some fishin'

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Yeah, If I'm going to be wearing flip-flops and driving I usually just go barefoot in the car. I can use the clutch pretty ok, but it's 100x easier barefoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

mariooncrack posted:

Since it's starting to get nice outside, what do you guys like to listen to when you're driving?

Blitzen Trapper and the sound of air coming out of my vents.
And I'm pretty sure I'm like the only person who listen to Blizen Trapper in Florida.

• Locked thread