Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
God drat this is mesmerizing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ9E1s1FuQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Does this change in discussion topics mean it's safe to come back to this thread?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Don't forget the freaks that gently caress their cars.

I thought that was implied any time you talk about furries.

Bucephalus posted:

Where's Geirskogul? I thought he was coming back.

And then it swerved right back around

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

West SAAB Story posted:

this thread is full of niggers too

West SAAB Story posted:

Fool me once.. :v:

ok boys - lets get yiffy

West SAAB Story posted:

i love saturns

e: and furries

cursedshitbox posted:

I thought saturns had better build quality than saabs?

West SAAB Story posted:

i dont even know what the gently caress is going on here anymore

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What day is it? Where am I? Is this bizzaro world?

Saturday, May 3, 2014: poo poo's broken.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I need an adult!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
When avatars and titles change I can't tell who's who for the first ten minutes I get back on the forums. Then I search for people making references to trannys, rust, kindles, and welding, and suddenly I know what's up again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

N is for Nipples posted:

While everyone's still wondering what's happening, I see Viggen's FurAffinity and raise my own.

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/solarnativity/ :nms: :nws: :wtf:

Wait, like, is this your personal profile or something?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If this were GiP, I'd empty-quote that and continue.

Most of this channel is a "car news"-style advertisement hiding as reporting, but there are quite a few videos that are like the earlier one. Very relaxing to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iwbohx4ZN4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QK1qXYP25M4

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Started watching Hannibal. After one episode, I'm intrigued.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

meatpimp posted:

Auto-RX

Seriously, https://www.auto-rx.com , I've had good luck with it to the point that I almost bought a sludged-to-stall 1.8T Audi.

This looks like the snakiest of snake oils.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Powershift posted:

I hit a red light outside of a nearby highschool right as they got out for lunch, and sat and watched the vehicles pour out

-audi a3
-audi a3
-audi a4
-audi a3
-audi a5
-audi a6
-audi a3
-beater crown vic

-audi a3
-audi a4

Your parents are willing to spend 50 grand on a car for you to drive to school in, and nobody comes up with anything different?
This kid is going places. My kinda guy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

angryhampster posted:

The problem is I'm a cheapass. The only item we've really splurged on in our entire house is that ridiculous couch. What should I look for in a lower-priced projector? I also don't mind buying used.

Ahahaha, I have a 99" set up in my living room, and it's waaaay too loving big. Here's a picture I snapped awhile ago, sorry for horrible low-light quality (LG Optimus G)

That being said, Optoma has pretty decent projectors. I'm still rocking an Optoma HD700X, which is only natively 720p and 1700 lumens, but it was an excellent price a few years ago. Definitely go 2400+ lumens if you can for your room size and window placement.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I just had the most amazing hot dog at a place called Moreno's Mexican Grill in Mesa. I normally don't even like hot dogs, but we were close to this place, and my medic partner said we should stop there before the next call and pick one up. It was life changing. I guess it's called a Sonora-style or Sonoran hot dog? I don't know. All I do know is that it had bacon pieces, was wet and mushy and difficult to eat, and came with a grilled whole pepper.

I kind of wish I wasn't in the National Guard, because then I could :350: and do it again.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I may have someone with a '71 standard Beetle on the hook for either my Subaru or my Enfield :dance:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Wait, I thought SAC needed the AA meetings?

Also, I think I'm getting this beetle. Needs a ton of work, but if the engine and transmission are truly in good condition, I'm looking forward to a project. I've been super depressed lately, and keeping my hands busy seems to qualm (qualm? quell?) that. I have a budget of around $1k to do it up, and it looks like I can pick up a rear bench seat, matching upholstery, the missing bumpers, the missing fender lights, and paint/interior carpeting for about half of that, just by adding things to a temporary cart on Ebay.

Compared to what I've done to the Subaru, and what it's worth (dents, super bad rust underneath everything, 200k miles), I may still be retarded. But a crazy retarded like 14 13 Inch and his CVCC Honda.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 12, 2014

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Too bad I have to do all work on the side of the road at my townhouse, or else that would be a tasty proposition.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So that guy on craigslist with the beetle with "title in hand"? The one I've scheduled a time with a week in advance? The one I moved my work schedule around for so I could drive two hours to pick it up tomorrow 0800? "Can't find the title, sorry. You can still look at it if you want, though."

Words can't express the rage.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's a "two week call from the union"?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Burning oil like a true Crown Vic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

the spyder posted:

I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

34mpg is not worth it for a hybrid. A 2010 Honda Fit gets 33 and can be had for an average of $5k cheaper. A 2007 Accord gets 31 and is half the price of the Camry. A 2010 Yaris is less even than the Accord and gets drat near 40 highway (though, cargo space and all that).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The point is, if you're going to buy an appliance car, at least shop by numbers.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Backov posted:

Since when is Windows 8 an upgrade? From what, Win ME? Put 7 on that poo poo.

What's it like time-traveling a year into the future? Windows 8 is actually pretty acceptable now, and has measurable startup time, resource management, and performance improvements.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Galler posted:

After installing StartIsBack (which I will now admit is better than Classic Shell and worth the $5 or whatever it is now) I no longer have any complaints with Win 8 and see no reason to use 7.

I was typing up another reply, but that sums up 90% of what it was.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, your problems aren't with the OS but with the third-party drivers? And I've never had a sleep setting issue, but that's only on three machines (two laptops, one custom built desktop).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Guys. Guys!

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/browse/home

I see poo poo like crown vics, E350 15-person vans, generators, and other poo poo go for insanely cheap. Also saw a C5 go for something like $9k.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress am I doing with my life?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

$138 each. Came out to $1080 in total after fuel surcharge, fees, taxes, etc. I'm still in loving shock, I feel like I just robbed someone.

138x2=276

1080-276=804

I've never (paid to be) flown internationally. Is it really that bad?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What's the place called so I can never buy from them, because what they're doing is shady as gently caress, and outright illegal.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

I need an adult!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
What the gently caress am I doing?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Except one of the fender turn signals arrived cracked and socalauto essentially went "gently caress you file a claim with UPS bye~!" It's a $16 part, so worth it to figure out who never to deal with again (as I have a lot more poo poo to buy).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a guy willing to trade this beetle:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/4464076371.html

for my 1997 Subaru Outback tomorrow morning. We were going to do it today, but he didn't like the smoking from the Y-pipe from the power steering leaking, so I rebuilt the power steering pump this afternoon, and replaced the alternator because I managed to kill it by banging on it when I was taking the P/S pump off. As long as it doesn't smoke too bad tomorrow (come on heatshields!), he's going to do it.

I was going to trade for a different one, a 1971 Standard Beetle with no rear seat, no headliner, no speakers or stereo, painted in matte black rustoleum, but brand new tires and new door cards, along with a fresh engine rebuild and clutch. The guy with the 71 flaked out after two weeks of leading me on saying that he's getting the title duplicate in the mail, but we talked and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. Yesterday morning, he emailed me saying that he was going to make more money parting it out instead, so I, in my hungover state, called him quickly and left a message pleading him to sell to me, because I have already acquired a lot of parts to start the rebuild project for a SA thread.

This evening, after I did a bunch of poo poo to get the Subaru acceptable to Orange Super Beetle Guy, Black Standard Beetle Guy emailed back saying that he'll [jokingly] stop "playing hard to get" and that he'll contact me when the title arrives, because he still wants the Subaru.

The orange Super Beetle has a squeaky steering wheel, shudders a little on hard stops (probably front bushings or tie rod ends), and the brakes are spongy as gently caress despite him stating "new brakes all around last fall." It also has a small oil leak (tiny flapjack-sized puddle after a few days of sitting) that's probably, by my guess, a gasket of some sort on the oil pan or oil screen. But it has all the seats, a good headliner, and the flat dash and windshield, and it uses the standard Beetle's bumpers and turn signals, so I can use the ones I've purchased.

When it rains, it loving pours, doesn't it? At least, if Orange Super Beetle Guy doesn't like the Subaru tomorrow (though all signs point to "yes" if it will stop smoking leaking oil for five loving minutes), I have a backup.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
HOW DID THIS GET HERE I AM NOT GOOD WITH CRAIGSLISTPUTER

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

I don't care how that got there, love and cherish it!

I had to sacrifice a 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Made a thread for the Beetle: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637790&pagenumber=1#lastpost

Apparently, its original "name" is the same as the ex-wife of my best friend (HS sweethearts, lived together for years after graduating, got divorced within a year of marrying), so I may change that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Got my beetle to pass emissions. Just loving barely, and I have a feeling he was revving it a tiny bit during the idle test, but I'm good for two years, bitches!

http://i.imgur.com/669XXATl.jpg

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Well, he is 14, so .... it could be anything. I'm waiting to hear back about blood work.

Speaking of blood, test strips came in for this stupid glucose meter, tried to figure out how to use it.

I reaaaaaaally don't like that number. :stonk:

100 is your goal. Make sure you used the calibration strip that came with the strips as well before you start testing your blood - sometimes they can be off as much as 50 or 60 without calibration. Each lot/box comes with one. And that's not too bad (still bad, but...), I see people every day in the 400's and 500's. Sometimes someone is at 400 and they're about to die and horribly incoherent and in ketoacidosis, other times they're just fine and that's their norm.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

some texas redneck posted:

Didn't find any calibration strips - the user manual says to use a control solution (sold separately, natch). Great, another thing to drop :10bux: on.

This is the meter I have, though I plan to upgrade to this one soonish.

As EMTs we use a Precision Xtra meter on all of our patients we transport or for 911. Their battery lasts forever, and if something crazy's going on it will prompt you "Ketones?" etc. Most of our strips are lot 45001 for glucose, and 75001 for ketones, but there are also specialty strips, and sometimes we use an old batch that has the calibration strip in it. Also, did I mention that the batteries last for-loving-ever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I had to put my cat down two months back. It was terrible, but he was 16 and decrepit. Normally he had just barely enough strength to jump up onto my lap when I went to sleep, and he'd be "little spoon" most nights I wasn't with my fiancee (probably for warmth), but then one morning poo poo went down. He forgot who he was, who people were, and how to eat. He just wandered from one corner of the house to the other. He would only take straight lines, and would walk over anything in his way, even if that meant taking a few hours to ascend a pile of clothes and books. At first, if he got stuck in a corner, he'd start yowling, but after a few days if it happened he'd just sit there and wait. I could pick him up, and he'd try to walk over my shoulder, or just go limp and look across the room. I couldn't get him to look me in the eye, and I don't think he even recognized that he was being held, only that he was temporarily unable to walk for a bit. If he'd wander into the litter box, he'd use it, but not bury anything, and he'd walk out with poo poo on his feet. He even walked through the food and water bowls one morning, just straight up walked right through while the other cats were eating.

This lasted about two weeks, with me being able to get him fed by wetting some dry cat food and putting him and the food underneath an overturned cardboard box, or in the shower stall (he'd eventually nibble on some food as he walked by). One day a week and a half in, he snapped back for about eight hours, and jumped up onto my lap and curled up and even purred a little (even though he could barely make a screech/meow/rusty chalkboard noise before this started, due to his age). That night he even slept as little spoon beside me on the couch.

About halfway through the night, though, he snapped back into crazy mode and I was woken up by him walking behind the chair and getting stuck in the recliner springs/mechanism (I heard the "ting ting ting" of the springs clattering back and forth as he tried to walk further). That day, he stopped eating totally. Two days later, he was so weak, but his brain so stuck on pathing around the house, I could see his muscles failing despite the shell of his mind commanding them to move. This may be sad, but I had a nitrogen setup from a year or so ago when I had to put my fiancee's rats down (I hated them but she loved them, and we were too poor then, as we were 'now' for the cat, to go to the vet). The tank was still mostly full, so I filled the box with N, gently placed him in it, and watched as he just slowly stopped moving, and then stopped breathing. It's pretty quick, and panic-less (CO2 doesn't work too well for larger animals, because if you gently caress up the air ratio and introduce it too slowly or too fast, they begin to panic because the body is "awake" enough to detect the higher CO2 levels, versus nitrogen because nitrogen doesn't increase CO2 levels in the blood, and CO2 concentration is what mammalian bodies gauge respiration and other things on), and I only wish I had done it days earlier.

• Locked thread