Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

leica posted:

Come to Florida, the only state that has rust free cars with no emission testing that won't freeze you to death or kill you with tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis :smug:

Oregon has all that, plus we have mountains and roads with curves. And you're slightly less likely to get shot walking back from the store with your drink and some skittles.

E: also no muggy summers and no palmetto bugs here.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

triple clutcher posted:

after this past winter, I've been having pipe dreams about moving out to Oregon. I used to worry that the 'always grey and overcast' stereotype would get to me, but then I realized that in April I saw more snow than sun and well ... I think I could deal.

Yeah, it's a bit overcast here this week. currently 89 F according to my car's display

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Snowdens Secret posted:

Did you say multimeter / clamp-on ammeter / o-scope / vibration analyzer / whatever? The brands are pretty irrelevant.

Yeah, seriously, if the entire job hinged on you naming specific brands of equipment then I don't know what the gently caress. :psyduck:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Saturn could have been given a pass. gently caress the rest.

FTFY

... I still want a Sky :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

That was the only good thing! Pontiac had lots of good things.

E: just going to replace what I typed with this, it's far more succinct:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I'M OLD.

When I originally weighed in the scale was off, i was 4 lbs heavier. Actually started at 220 or so. 201 this morning. Still look fat though.

Also poop.

Just hit the gym, it's a lot better than dieting and you can replace fat with muscle which has a much bigger effect than just losing the fat as far as physical appearance is concerned. Replace 10 lbs of fat with 5 lbs of muscle and it'll look as good on you as if you'd lost 25 lbs of fat without gaining any muscle.

Yes I realize you read comics and that means physical exertion is like comic nerd kryptonite but seriously, just try it for a few months. Bonus side effect is you can go back to having beer again because the extra muscle and increased metabolism will eat up the stray calories as long as you don't overdo the boozin'. Also if you do it long enough you can look like an Alex Ross supes painting.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Then I got back from my last delivery at work to find this waiting for me:

:flaccid:

Guess who clocked out at 2:45am? :smith:

What I hate is when you have that many pans, you can only wash about 1/4 of them before the water gets so oily that they start coming out as greasy as the go in and then you have to drain and refill the wash basins with fresh water before you can continue. I hated coming back to that on my last delivery. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Extra posted:

On the upside people having to throw a lot of money at the initial investment means they don't end up as total beaters. Not that I ever really saw the draw or attractiveness of that era Corolla anyway beyond it being featured in some insanely unrealistic juvenile anime (same goes for Wangan) that encourages people to do some really dumb poo poo on public roads. Every time I see the local jackass with the adventure time drift charmed 240sx that clearly wouldn't pass state inspection hooning around parking lots and the other guy with the RedSuns sticker I'm reminded of just how impressionable and dumb people can be.

I'm tired of decent Japanese cars from the 90s being totally abused in the name of ~my animes~ basically. :rant:

This is why I donated my AE86 for free. I'd rather have given it away to someone that would maintain it and keep it nice than some retard kid who'd throw a park bench spoiler on it, cut the springs to 'stance' it, and end up wrapping it around a telephone pole trying to do a ~mad doriftou~ around a downtown boulevard.

The guy I gave it to had just finished building a beautiful BRE replica 510 starting from a completely stripped down bare shell he bought. I did the right thing.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

It's such a letdown when you open the bonnet and find they just have a lovely old m20.

You know what the great thing about the M20 is?

It's fairly easy to replace with an M or S50. :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Hypnolobster posted:

Hondas definitely all (all the ones I've been in, anyway) turn on the AC whenever you select defrost.

One of the many reasons I will never own another Honda car again.

In the PNW, it's very common to get a light drizzle of rain that is just enough to fog up your windshield if you don't leave the fan blowing on it lightly, but it's not humid enough to require the A/C on to dehumidify things, so I reallly, reaallllllllly like being able to turn the fan to the window vent position and have it blow fresh vent air at the window without losing the 3-4 mpg from having the A/C on year-round (on for 6 months of the year to keep me cool, the other six months because it's drizzling and I have to keep a light flow of air at the windows).

loving piece of poo poo nanny garbage. :argh:

Conversely, my BMW with it'a auto climate control still lets me manually turn the AC off when in defroster mode, since some companies are nice enough to not patronize owners who are smart enough to know when they need to use the AC to defrost and when not to.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Phone posted:

Fuckin' lol if you don't call your cars "The $Model".

I've done this with every car up 'til now, but my E46, being my first German car, is named after my WWII-veteran great-grandfather's childhood name (Fritz)*.

My wife, on the other hand, insists upon naming all the vehicles we get now, which is probably going to drive my batty.

*(He was in the US Army, not the German Army despite the name - he changed his name upon enlistment to the much more anglo-sounding 'Harry', since 'Fritz' wasn't an especially popular name in the US military ca. 1942).

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

13 INCH DICK posted:

I ROLL MY TOILET PAPER UNDER NOT OVER

BURN THE HERETIC! PURGE THE FALSE ONE!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Anything with a lot of vinegar (Tabasco, etc) can gently caress right off.

iwentdoodie posted:

Vinegar sauce is disgusting, btw.

My thoughts exactly. gently caress Tabasco.

Also annoyed by how most places, when you ask for Jalapenos, have vinegar-pickled Jalapenos, not fresh ones. The vinegar interferes with the flavour of the chile, I want to taste the chile, not the stuff it's been soaking in.

I have discovered that, while I really like spicy food, I actually don't like spicy food that isn't balanced out with a certain minimum amount of fattiness (from cheese, cooking oil, sour cream, guacamole, meat, etc). For the longest time I couldn't place why I didn't like most spicy asian foods or spicy seafood dishes, despite otherwise loving spicy foods, seafood, and asian foods on their own, and I came to the realization that I don't care for overly spicy food when it's lean on fatty ingredients, as most seafood dishes or Thai food tends to be (and a lot of Korean, as well; I really don't like Korean-style spicy ramen). For me, if it's a lean dish with a lot of spice, all I can pick up with my taste buds is the heat, and it makes the rest of the dish taste kinda bland to me.

But on a dish with a decent amount of fat to balance the flavour out (i.e. most southwestern-American, Mexican and Italian dishes where you tend to have a lot of cheese, cream, oils, lard, and fatty meat), I want it spicy enough to bring tears to my eyes and make my nose run. Fat reduces/intereferes with the heat from chiles and spices, so having it there to balance the heat lets me taste more of the dish and makes them taste richer and more full to me. Funny how taste buds work.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

meatpimp posted:

I am now married and my kids hate any kind of hot spice, so my chili is beyond tame now. :(

gently caress 'em, they'll learn to enjoy it. I developed my love of spicy as a kid; just start gradually upping the heat a little bit each mealtime and they probably won't even notice. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

blk posted:

It's my birthday today. A year ago I promised myself I'd be out of my poo poo town in a better job with some new skills under my belt annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I'm exactly where I was a year ago, only married and making a little more money. I guess I can't complain but poo poo is getting old. I've been so busy trying to keep everything together that I haven't had much chance to focus on my future; hopefully I can concentrate more on that now.

Just move to Portland already. I moved here from Eugene over a decade ago and I haven't regretted it for a minute. Better jobs, higher wages, more things to do, a better car market...

Twenty years living in Eugene was twenty years too many.

• Locked thread