Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tusen Takk posted:

As someone who came to the states from Australia, I liked Colorado the most because it has crazy beautiful mountains and a high percentage of chill people. I really like michigan once I got over how loving cold it is. The car scene is awesome, the city is starting to come back, property is cheap, and we have no sort of auto inspections whatsoever.

Also it's relatively dry in Colorado so the snow isn't as heavy as the snow we get in michigan/northern Midwest so yeah. I liked Tennessee quite a bit as well but I only went to Nashville and some other big city and everyone was crazy nice and laid back while not being obviously racists or GRRR OBAMA or whatever but what do I know I'm sure someone here can tell you more about it than me

Only problem with CO is all the loving assholes from Cali moving in and voting in the same loving terrible laws that they're fleeing Cali to escape the consequences of.

I'd say come to Iowa, but unless you're in the ag business, there's no reason to ever come here.

It is a wasteland of corn, pigs, rust, and emptiness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

Then come on south to Arizona, where despite the hilariously huge number of CA transplants, we still vote in Sheriff Joe every loving time! :pseudo:

Eh, I'll stick to corn country. Where the GOP keeps getting confused because they somehow forget that we're all generally of the opinion that shoving our personal beliefs down someone else's throat is just plain rude. Gotta love being a mostly-blue state in flyover country!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

But for some unknown awful reason we voted Branstad back in. (Because Culver was a loving idiot).

Personally I can't wait to leave next door red state hell. When the only Governors running for this state are all Republican and who is the biggest darling endorsed by Sarah Palin... Ugh.

Oh, god, are you in Nebraska? Flat, Fundie, and hosed Up is what I hear. I blame the Tea Party assholes out in the echoing emptiness of southwestern Iowa on carryover. :(

Honestly, as GOP candidates go, Branstad's not too terrible. At least he pays more attention to the economy than his personal convictions most days.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Des Moines Metro, Iowa City, Cedar Rapids (as long as the winds aren't blowing in the wrong direction) are actually pretty awesome towns. After living in Omaha, which is just a bigger quad cities, except more crime, Des Moines, while not paradise, is pretty nice place to live.

Yeah, I'm from Des Moines myself, and moved back here a few years ago because it pretty much rocks for the laid back sort of lifestyle I prefer. Ames is really awesome for being a tiny little college town that dries up and blows away in the summers.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yeah I moved here for a "Promotion" back in July 2013. Giving up the promotion to going back to switching boxcars, partially because the stress and bs of the job, partially because friends and family, and partially because Omaha is an awful, awful town.

The only redeeming quality here is that Five Guys exists, and even then, I can hit up Zombie burger for some good eats, or pretty much anything in the east village.

Plus the Thai food here is AWFUL.

B-Bops puts Five Guys to shame. :colbert:

That said, there's a ton of great food in Des Moines right now. Buzzard Billy's finally got a new building, right next to Vets,and is still amazing. Woody's Smoke Shack over by Drake has some of the best BBQ I've had outside of Memphis. This weekend is the start of the farmers' market downtown, too, so if I'm not cursed to be stuck under my pile of poo poo Sonoma chasing a fuel leak, I'm going hunting for local cheeses.

Edit : No clue, Crag, sorry. I'm an ex-chef in the IT business these days, not my field.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hah, I'm half a mile from the East Euclid store. It's my go-to for hangover food if I don't get up in time to make the Waveland for breakfast. :)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Bucephalus posted:

And I wasn't taught this in high school because...?

Same reason I work with a bunch of 25 year old idiots making $30k a year with a $150k mortgage, $75k in student loans, and a $35k brand-new brotruck in the parking lot who wonder why they can't seem to get ahead on the credit card bills they use to fund their hobbies.

The US education system is poo poo when it comes to personal finance.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, I have one specifically for the purchase protection and benefits when reserving flights. Lowish limit, always paid off.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Really, what weekend could be complete without you being elbow deep in a greasy tranny?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

What in the Christing gently caress is going on in here today?

Trying to decide if I'm going to sell this Sonoma on Craigslist for $300, or just scrap it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

That's how I interpreted it as well. And I will apologize for it, but it was pretty much the only response I had left at my disposal. I am generally a very rational (to a fault sometimes) thinking person, so trying to argue with someone that is by nature not is just stressful as hell. A month or so ago we had another fight that turned out to be she wasn't actually mad at me but at loving physics :psypop:

Part of me really wants to try and sort this out and go on with our life, the other half is screaming "SEVER", which as I said is kinda complicated by having a child.

If her bipolar's that bad, consider going with severing and swinging for the fences for custody. Nothing good will come of bringing a kid up around that if she's not going to get her poo poo sorted.

I say this from experience, my own mother was deep down that road. Killed herself this weekend about twenty years ago. Hell on my Dad, as I'd just moved in with him a few months earlier because she was trying to ship me off to military school.

In lighter news, I'm going to see a man about a cheap '96 XJ today. Hopefully this goes well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nice! Sounds like they're interested, hook 'em!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

I over-reacted a bit last night, she isn't like that 24/7 or anything. Finally found a combination of meds that work for her. But sometimes if she's over stressed it comes through.

After talking poo poo out last night we are fine again but are looking into couples counseling. I have my own set of emotional issues so it was kinda a perfect storm of a lot of different things. Anyway, shits better, gonna see them after work and finally have a good day this week :unsmith:

Edit; Super Aggro Craig, that's awesome, best of luck. Maybe you didn't get that other job for a reason.

Good to hear it, then. These things can work out, as long as the folks involved are willing to work at it. :unsmith:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whelp. 3 of us are getting pretty fed up with the 4th roommate, who sadly, is the only one of the lease. He wakes up before us all, puts his alarm on snooze while he takes a shower and sings loudly. Then he stomps down the stairs and slams the door shut. I feel bad for my roommate who works 3rd shift and goes to sleep maybe an hour before this happens every day. Today all 3 of us were woken up by this crap so I yelled at him and his GF singing in the shower to, "SHUT THE gently caress UP," went into his room, turned off the alarm on his cellphone and threw it at the bathroom door.

Also, Burger King now offers the Whopper and fries on their breakfast menu. My hangover needs have finally been met. Hallelujah!

Oh thank God. I get off work and am dying for a burger some mornings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

That is the kind of person who ends up having the poo poo beat out of them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Lamest tornado ever. Seriously... just a boring storm that was over hyped.

Pissed me off all night because the automated systems kept yelling at me about being in a tornado watch while I was trying to work.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

blk posted:

I've been doing some consulting for a company that, amongst other things, owns a couple of rural golf courses. Getting paid to flog the Miata on backroads in one of the most beautiful parts of one of the most beautiful states is pretty awesome, especially when a day's consulting work earns me the same pay as two and a half days at my regular job.

Also dodged a new unmarked Camaro cop car. I thought my local pigs only ran Mustangs - I didn't even know the Camaro was offered in a cop package, although I guess I'm not surprised.

Are you sure you're out of the running? I've gotten offers from every interview I thought I hosed up, and vice versa (no offers from interviews I thought I dominated)

Camaros and Chargers too. The State Patrol interceptors out here are actually running Chargers now. Better looking than Crown Vics, I guess.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

You piss off a barber or something?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm in west Iowa tonight and there seem to be an unusually high number of people with visible tattoos on their heads

It got nice out today, so people took off their stocking caps.

We're Iowans, we still don't quite trust that winter's over. :colbert:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Wangan Midnight is pretty silly, but Initial D generally does a much better job of technical accuracy than most films and TV do. The mistake is thinking it's about the same thing as twats in battered S-chassis covered in stickers are about (which, as it happens, is usually powersliding, not drifting), and it isn't. While it's effectively a car-based version of the stereotypical "development and growth" plot of any sports or fighting anime, at its core it hinges on the idea that a very good driver in a decent but not amazing car can humble some very fast machinery. And that is a very AI thing.

I do quite fancy importing a Trueno at some point in the near future, and I will indeed more than likely want it as a Fujiwara replica. But in doing so, it would actually be saved from the kind of numpties who actually trash the cars through either neglect or abuse.

Similarly, if I could have an early Mustang fastback, it'd be a Gunsmith Cats lookalike, not a Gone In Sixty Seconds Eleanor replica. (GISS replicas should, of course, be early seventies and yellow).

Yeah, GSC back in my teens convinced me that there is no paint scheme for a GT Mustang that looks better than royal blue with double white racing stripes. I also appreciated that Rally had power steering, modern brakes, and a lighter clutch put on that GT500 to make it more driveable, and spends all of her downtime in the comics bitching about how expensive and annoying it is to get parts for the drat thing when it breaks something. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Lightbulb Out posted:

Certainly sounds like southern Iowa and northern Missouri.

Too true. I live in Des Moines, but I've got family down in Trenton, MO I spend time with every summer. It's crazy down there.

Only thing to recommend it is that the hills are insane, and doing 70 down 'em in the middle of the night is considered normal behavior.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Take I-65 down. That thing turns into a roller coaster about Princeton.

I feel your pain, though, I'm working the holiday as well. At least it's at double time and a half. :smuggo:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

leica posted:

Yeah you wanna be at least 250 lbs to be a bouncer, 300 is probably ideal, just to discourage (most) dudes from trying to test you. I'm 160 and 6' tall, so people aren't intimated by my size and want to test me all the time. But like I said I'm used to it and seeing people's reaction when I'm indifferent to their threats is pretty funny.

A local bouncer here recently got charged with manslaughter after he choked a dude out and he died in the hospital. And I've heard stories of others getting the poo poo sued out of them for injuries. gently caress that.

I worked the door a few times back when I was in the bar business, and I found the opposite was true. I'm 6'6" and 300 when I'm in shape, and it just means drunk idiots wanted to swing on me to make their balls feel big.

Rhyno posted:

This is a pretty common thing. A dude I know was out with his wife and some friends. One of the long term bouncers at the club had been into his wife for years and cornered her while 4 other bouncers beat the poo poo out of her husband out in the alley. They took his wallet and phone and threw them in a dumpster and left him lying with a shattered jaw and busted orbital socket. His wife spent the night calling friends and family and she and an officer hit the various ERs and didn't find him for 6 hours. None of the bouncers lost their jobs. The ringleader is now the manager of the upscale club here in town where I'm sure he still runs his game on girls he can't have.

gently caress that guy, I hope the next mark he tries that on is an undercover cop and shoots his rear end.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

leica posted:

Well you're gonna get that no matter how big you are because of drunk idiots, but for the most part no one is going to gently caress with a guy your size. People have no problems getting in my face drunk or not because I'm not physically intimidating and everyone thinks they can "take" me. But most of the time once they realize I'm not going to back down, they back off because I inform them in no uncertain terms that they will be going to jail with a felony (FL law) if they so much as touch me, the local cops have my back and can usually make it there in 2.2 seconds.

Nine times out of ten, saying the word Cops and/or Jail will get even the drunkest hardass to back down.

It's actually funny to me, because I am about the least violent person you'd want to see. Something about the size and the beard makes me look grumpy. :p

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I don't care how that got there, love and cherish it!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Krakkles posted:

What's your favorite Hot Sauce, AI?

Frank's Gold. Cut it with butter and a little splash of apple cider vinegar, makes the best wings.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

There's a ton of boutique hot sauces now. It's very easy with the extracts available. I was very into the extremely hot extract sauces in the '90s. I learned then that anyone that says "I can eat any hot sauce with no problem" is either naive or a liar.

Dave's created the market segment and many others have moved in since then. The hottest I ever got was Blair's After Death. I liked Blair's Death Sauce... After Death passed the "flavor" point and became just heat for me.

If you want to browse some awesome sauces (with a page that sadly hasn't changed in far too long), check out Mo'Hotta Mo'Betta: https://www.mohotta.com

I am now married and my kids hate any kind of hot spice, so my chili is beyond tame now. :(

Back when I was still cooking for a living, I managed a bar's kitchen for a year or so. I got tasked at one point by the owner to make him the 'hottest wings in town' for a contest he was entering. I don't think he thought I was serious about it, but found out where I could get ghost pepper chili powder to kick them up a further notch. Made a pretty nice habenero/lime wing sauce and upped the heat quotient to taste. Came out tasty, but hotter than Satan's rear end in a top hat.

I've still got a bit of that stuff around, actually. Use it in my chili when I feel like making people sweat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Cage posted:

Cake is the best driving music. Any season.

Cake and Weezer.

Although I tend to listen to oldschool country more, because it just feels right rocking out to Waylon Jennings while tearing rear end around backroads in an XJ.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Terrible Robot posted:

My pandora station is a huge grab-bag of every genre imaginable, from Dr. Dre to Lindsey Sterling to Tool/A Perfect Circle and everything in between.

Although lately I've just been listening to my Irish folk rock station so Flogging Molly, Great Big Sea, The Dubliners, The Pogues...

I used to rock a lot of Dropkick Murphys while driving.

That led to a lot of getting pulled over.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Are Dropkick Murphys a thing? My brother-in-law is friends with them and has them over to play for his house parties and stuff, but I've never paid them any attention.

They are definitely a thing. I catch them live whenever I get a chance, and they're a ton of fun to get shitfaced and bounce around a crowd to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQfGTDyjVSE

Used to be my favorite to prep to back when I was cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I have been on the hunt for one myself.

Just make sure to wear a life vest dude. Beyond that go loving hog wild!

Saylorville or Big Creek? I plan to get back out to saylorville when I get home next.... houseboats are going back in the water... and there's plenty of beer and food to be getting after!

I think next weekend is going to be me gettibg the kayak out and hitting either the Raccoon or maybe Blue Heron.

• Locked thread