Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Wait, you live in Edmonton now? We should arrange something.

I actually want to see businesses try and pull some of the same poo poo they do in Canada in the US just to watch their offices get burned down. Even your most liberal Portlandist would launch Molotov cocktails through the window of UPS when they ask for a 20% surcharge, COD, to deliver something in addition to the shipping cost.

Don't you guys have a somewhat functional healthcare system? You have to fund that somehow, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Seat Safety Switch posted:

We fund it through taxes and duty, yeah. UPS asks for a little more sometimes for their trouble. The last time I got something shipped over the border, UPS asked me for $32 at the door to cover the bother of having to give my government the money I already paid them to ship it. Then they took that $32 back to America with them where they probably spent it on cocaine or Goldman Sachs bailouts or something.

You can also pay the government the couple of bucks to clear it yourself, if you want to drive across town for it: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/beating-cross-border-brokerage-fees-1.762619

I hope someday we get an American Union kind of thing and then like a UNited Federation of Planets.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ask all the dudes who frequent the NEAI channel, I'm a coin nerd. If I could make them for a living that'd be so loving sweet.

Backup plan: make bitcoins. :suicide:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Happy Friday.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cakefool posted:

I don't get the thread title, what's the joke?

The Indy 500 is held in May in Indianapolis, Indiana.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Can I write "For Deposit Only" and deposit a check without a signature?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
MODS
MODS
WHERE ARE THE MODS

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

dubzee posted:

woah poo poo almost 300 new posts in the chat thread i w- :catstare: o viggen went off his meds again.

I have a good friend that has exhibited the kinda behavior since his anyuerism. Great dude, super honest, one of my oldest friends, but the utter lack of decorum makes for some pin-droppers let me tell you.

It's like he just doesn't quite "get it"? I'm trying to think of the right words to describe it but I can't. I think that brain injury was really bad man. It's upsetting. I hope the drunk driver gets what's coming to him sometime soon.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

So weird problem, I have a cat who is peeing outside the litterbox. I have three cats so I don't know which one it is. I tried to set up my old laptop with an xbox live camera to catch which little bastard is doing it but all the camera software I've tried sucks rear end.

Suggestions for decent webcam software that will allow me to record for 8 hours straight? Also free?

I once used Justin.tv and flash media encoder to remotely watch my cat while on vacation. Be sure to take the kitty into the vet once you figure it out. You want to rule out any medical issues first.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

The Midniter posted:

I'm a huge nerd but I'm also a fairly typical guy, I like sports, cars, heavy machinery, guns, action flicks and beer. For some reason the only girls I find myself attracted to are super artsy, intellectual, whose ideal vacation is to sip fuckin espresso at an art gallery in Prague, while I just want to watch playoff basketball, hit the gym, and get drunk.

And I wonder why I'm 31 and single.

Prague is a place to drink beer, not espresso, in my opinion.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Naw the stacks of boxes below the A/C.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Cat Terrist posted:

Seafood and rice. Just turned 45 and only now I choose to eat healthy?

(Actually I'm not too bad most days. Altho I do eat more chocolate than a woman with "emotional issues"....)

I'm addicted to chocolate. It's not good but hey it's not smoking, drinking, drugs, etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Bought it with 21k on it. What a long strange trip its been.

What is it?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Somebody told me once your insurance wouldn't cover you if you're wearing flip flops? I kinda doubt it but it's widely regarded as dangerous to drive with them.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I can't heel-toe barefoot! I'm so used to doing it that it really messes me up if I can't.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

Awesome! All the more reason to put off quitting until hockey season is over.

Don't push your luck!!

leica posted:

[edit] GO BILLS

Remember in the 90s when the Bills made it to the Superbowl like five times and kept losing? :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really wouldn't want to put a bag of poop in my freezer and have it smell that way forever.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Terrible Robot posted:

Sooo I have a question for the more knowledgeable and up-to-date computer guys in here. I've been (trying to) build a gaming computer for the last year. Back in the day when I was more involved in the computing scene AMD was King poo poo of gently caress Mountain when it came to processors and I love the hell out of my old Athlon XP based rig, which I still keep around for running older games. I intended to go with an AMD FX- series processor for my new system and purchased a mobo with that thought in mind. But all I seem to see in SH/SC and YOSPOS is post after post about how much AMD and their FX platform is utter garbage. I've tried actually wading through the SH/SC thread to get more information but I left with a migraine and feeling even more confused.

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

Once Intel gave up on the Pentium 4 and went to the Core processors AMD lost their competitive edge for desktop processors. I don't know if you'll hate life though. I haven't bought any computer parts for a few years.

Edit: I'm slow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Why would someone start weed wacking at 8:40pm outside my window. ARRRRRRRRRRRRR

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sinestro posted:

"Corvair-like"? Talk about a low blow!

It's now my goal in life to write a novel with every one of these words and phrases.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Just get a Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv motor and a 5 speed.

Wait a minute, weren't you looking at CX5's earlier or was that someone else?

The one complaint I have about my 3 is it is a loud car. I think the newer ones still suffer from that problem.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

How is it loud? Engine noise or exhaust?

Road noise. There isn't that much sound insulation or something. It's only a problem above 60mph.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

Maybe it's the OE tires? Do the skyactiv 3's come with hard tires like hybrids do?

Either way it sounds like a pretty easy fix, some good tires and/or sound deadening would probably do the trick.

I don't remember what tires it came with as I ditched them about 8 years ago. Tire noise can be a part of it but really it just doesn't have that much sound deadening. It might be something that bothers someone who is looking at a Camry Hybrid for a 40 mile commute :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

Speaking of Metro, any happy Windows phone users around? I'm kind of fed up with Android and don't really want to go back to iOS.

I love my Nokia Lumia 1020.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

What the gently caress is going on with the red threads at the top of the forums? Click either one, you get both messages and both Debbie Metallica and Lowtax show the same avatars... is this some type of matrix glitch?

I don't think Ozma's made a site-wide announcement before so it probably didn't work perfectly first try.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That and "dogs love trucks".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aYZrvG5BkY

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

some texas redneck posted:

How the hell did you wind up with a VW loaner when a GM dealership is doing the work? :confused:

It's been almost a month since I tried to get the dealer to take the car. Even had an appointment (scheduled several days in advance). Can't get my service advisor to return calls... I'm getting more than a little annoyed with Huffines Chevrolet. :sigh:

They refused to do a loaner as well.
It's also one with a Washington plate.
With all the recalls GM is probably scrambling to find loaners.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Yikes, sorry, hopefully everything turns out well.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

After talking it over with some friends, I've realized that I shouldn't be involved in this. I feel really awful about his disappearance, but I don't want to be around if they find him. I want him to get into treatment and get better, but I need to keep moving on with my life so I can't be the one helping him.

I can't help feeling like a selfish prick though when I say that I can't be the one to help him. :smith:

It sucks to be in a position where you're unable to help. No matter how rational you try to be, we're emotional creatures and have no control over that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
You got another?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

I'm not saying you're lying, I'm saying it isn't anywhere near universal.
My Mazda 2 will let me turn on defrost using no AC and recirc. This fogs my windows even on fairly normal days.
Funny 'cause the 3 and the late model Proteges will turn it on starting at the floor vent position!

nm posted:

Speaking on auto headlights.
Why is it that my 1992 camry would turn off the headlights if I turned off the car (and so does my 2005 subaru), but my 2013 mazda just dings until the lights get turned off?

Also, gently caress the "kill the battery if you take it to a carwash" switch on subarus.

Don't know about the '92 but on the previous generation Camry that wasn't a standard feature! Also, auto-off is available on higher-trim 3s :P

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I remember back in the day someone made a mod to disable that on the Protege. Maybe it applies to the 3 also. Search mazdas247.com I think.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Sun's coming up
Time to go for a Sunday drive.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Galler posted:

Soooo anyway, a couple months ago or so I remember someone mentioning that they had gone to get their car inspected and the tech plugged something into their cigarette outlet for testing purposes and the poster wanted to know what the gently caress. I don't remember anyone providing an answer but I might have just missed it.

This is probably the answer. Short version is measuring inductance to determine when a spark plug fires and based on how often that happens (and probably some settings for number of cylinders and plugs) RPM can be determined.

Oh cool, that was me. I saw it being used in a preOBD2 car. I have a 94 to test sometime this week so I can see it first hand.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
alice in chains
stone temple pilots
pink floyd
a bunch of video game & movie soundtracks 'cause I'm a nerd.
deathtemple in hell
etc.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

I have a bunch of Pink Floyd waiting for my next road trip. I've got Pulse, Gilmour's solo effort, WYWH and Animals lined up. That should get me through a five hour road trip quite nicely.

Nice. I saw Roger Waters perform The Wall a while back. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

goatse guy posted:

I saw him on tour in 2012. Few things in my life will ever top that experience.

Yeah! I guess it was 2 years ago already. Dang, time flies. My brother got the tickets, which is insanely awesome (they were expensive I think...)

• Locked thread