Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

kastein posted:

Yo, gently caress your couch.

Now I know you're not Jeremy Clarkson, or you would have finished the phrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

God drat, viggen, I'm not going to post any more in that top gear circle jerk, but you are baiting!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Go for it. Its just loving AI, not like its anything important. Like, you know, something your parole officer has direct access to.

It's more of a principle thing. I said I wasn't going to engage in the D&D circlejerk bullshit, and I'm not. But you are carrying the flag, my friend. And my parole officer is so chill, I needn't be concerned.

Would it be as mesmerizing if it were titled "It costs HOW MUCH to fix my Passat????"

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Can you help me find my belt then? My pants are too loving large now.

---

E: Holy poo poo its a new title again. A furry AND a SAAB. How the gently caress do you search google for that?

I want a hatch, really. I miss the one I briefly had. They stopped making them in 2002. :(

:golfclap:

Gonna GIS that image. You're supporting the forum today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

I guess so. Evidently being flippant pisses off the unwashed masses of whitefolks who weren't smart enough to leave the land of the oppressed.

So, I'll just put this out here, with your use of the uncomfortable word in another thread:

What do you think of when you hear "tweet?" Something from twitter. Only 8 years ago, that definition was laughable and strange. Peep this:

Go with a large batch of what we used to call "drink coasters." Label them with a big "N." Get a lot of bars to start using them and instead of calling them "coasters," call them "niggers." friend of the family coasters. A brand. Get bars to buy in, "get that drink on a friend of the family." "Don't mess up my table, put a friend of the family down." Etc.

The word was used to a particular effect. If you make a word so powerful that some people cannot utter it, it becomes oppressively powerful. Instead, devalue it. Change the collective consciousness' view of the word. Face it, slavery was over more than 150 years ago. MANY generations before people living now ever faced it directly, regardless of race. If we devalue the word, instead of giving it tremendous power, THAT is the best way to foster equality.

That's meatpimp's idea for the day.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

You know what? You're alright.

Even if you are from the colonies.

Screenshotting this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Phone posted:

It's the loving Cato Institute who's only function is to whine about how 30% marginal tax rate is killing all of the job creators.

(protip: the marginal tax rate is super loving low in this country)

"Job creators" is a misnomer. Watch "Inequality for All," available on Netflix. It is fascinating and a good summary of current events.

Phone posted:

Is this an unironic "slavery is over, get over it" post?

No, it's an unironic solution for what both sides agree is a problem.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

And I wasn't taught this in high school because...?

Because the US education system teaches to test, not to education. US High School students gradate without knowing even the basics about credit cards, mortgages, credit, credit scores, rent, contracts, etc... basically they don't know how to loving live.

West SAAB Story posted:

pretty good, actually. got a date later so lord knows how its gonna end (alone and scared, same as it ever was)

Good luck, viggen!

Phone posted:

"Both sides"?

Yep, those that say that the word is inappropriate in any context and those that say it's viable when "x" parameter is met.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 3, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

that makes two of us. meatpimp'll do it, he'll eat browse anything. Hey, Meaty!

I hate you for making me do that.

:nms: :NSFW: :NSFL: Source of West SAAB Story's current avatar (you've been warned, provided only for morbid curiosity purposes): http://www.furaffinity.net/view/5834926/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

West SAAB Story posted:

Is it wrong that I looked at the car first? I mean, it can be washed.

In all honesty, I don't know why the avatar-buyer didn't use this one (same :nms: :NSFW: :NSFL: furry warnings as above): http://www.furaffinity.net/view/6382534/

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

We do have a Home Depot card with a decent limit, but it's for home improvement only. Every thing else is paid with cash, if we don't have the cash we don't get it. It's kinda nice having our only debt being the mortgage and a HD card :)

That's a credit card. Whether it's only good for one retail store or not, same mechanism, same thing.

I had a running credit card debt from the time I started college until I was in my mid-30s. I never knew the implications and repercussions of "poo poo, I can buy it now and pay for it over time."

I've got several credit cards. None of them with a balance, all of them with lucrative side offers -- miles/points, warranty extensions, etc. They more than pay for themselves if you have excellent credit to start with.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

I laughed, and it just encouraged him.

Me, too. At least he has a parachute.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

I'm a pretty awful first date.

Yep, you're one of us.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

Because my self-worth is based on having a man on my arm.

Seriously though, I didn't need a date but it's way more fun that way. My family is extremely lame.

Some of the most awesome nights I've had have come from going to a wedding dateless.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

We have a different type of litter in each box. I really think it's just one of them being a jerk. We don't allow them in my office or the bedroom because they knock poo poo over so I'm betting it's behavioral.

Yep, it's because cats are assholes.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Beater=\= Any VAG product.

Let alone a 2.slow. There's just no redeeming characteristics.

That said, I'm not discouraging my mom from selling her A3 and getting a new Fender Beetle. :shrug:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Is it just a case of the US market stuff being poo poo? Because we finished the engine swap in my mate's A3 this weekend, and by and large it was a very easy car to work on.

I have nothing bad to say about the '01 Jetta I had. 1.8t motor with some APR mods and it was silly fun to pound around. I think the key with VW, as with other German cars, is constantly keeping on top of maintenance. If you get behind, they will destroy you.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

goatse guy posted:

I don't think anything will ever fix that.

Maybe not "fix," but time will temper it. Even though it seems like that won't happen.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So big tubs with water jets suck. Neither my wife nor I use ours and it still requires a fill-and-run at least once or twice a year. Today I got the nice surprise of having the hot water tinged brown, whereas the cold water was clear with a light blue tinge. Looks like the one remaining hot water heater is on its way out.

Any reason to not go with mid-level Rheems at Home Depot? The two I'm replacing are Rheems, one 34k btu 40 gal, one 40k btu 40gal. Instead of going with 1 50 gal, I'm probably going to just replace both and plumb them in series instead of parallel like they were before. I just don't know if I should go with HD Rheems, or something else...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

iwentdoodie posted:

Its 822pm here, my last night in my house, and all my friends bailed on going out, plus my wife went out with her friends. Awesome times. Also wasn't Easter like two weeks ago?

Oh well. Drinking alone in my empty rear end house while cleaning and occasionally taking breaks to look at bikes it is.

It's 6:22AM here (okay, 6:37, but still...), hopefully you're moving to some place that has the correct time.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I'm very lucky. I ended up with a significantly younger wife who supports whatever nonsense I'm into at the particular moment. She wants me to blow out the wall of the garage for more space because she knows that a suburban 3 car garage was a significant compromise in our house-buying decision... I'm the one resisting doing that because I'm a tight-rear end with that stuff. I have no problem spending money if I know I can make money on it later on, but large-dollar personal spending is tough for me to do.

And yeah, mom did just buy a new Fender Beetle. 2013 holdover, stickered at $31k, deal at $23k. Brand new, 10 miles on it. Yeah it's new, but that's a significant jump on the depreciation curve and in 3-4 years it's only going to have 15k miles on it, so I think it's well-bought. She'll like it, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

fingerling posted:

Bucephalus mentioned Sock last page.. what ever happened to him? Did he die to frost exposure or tetnus? :ohdear:

Heh, like it has to be one or the other... (looks like he's still posting, we're just not cool anymore)

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 6, 2014

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:siren: Advice needed -- dad took mom's A3 (~21k miles) to a Goodyear store for an oil change. They changed the oil and put a note on the receipt that he'll need a new oil pan bolt next change, since the one there now is stripped. Surprise, surprise, it's leaking like a loving sieve now. He called within hours and they said to bring it in first thing tomorrow morning.

So, if the bolt (or more probably the pan) was stripped when he went there, they would have flagged it and not worked on it. I'd bet real money that they just air-gunned the bolt in and stripped it. So, what now? I know a number of you have experience in the chain services, what's the best way to approach it?

(My thought is to tell him to just slow-play it. Let them diagnose and suggest a repair. I'd bet that their repair would be a threadcert which would not be a viable option as far as I'm concerned. If the pan is stripped, they'd need to pay for a new pan... with that, I'd say to offer to get it repaired at the VW dealer on the Goodyear store's dime, or offer to go directly to corporate and/or court.)

What say you, AI collective?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

You Am I posted:

Your dad was an idiot taking a car to a tyre store to get an oil change?

Probably... but I've had alignments and tires done there and he just had the tires changed on the BBS LMs for his M3 there, though... they seemed pretty competent. Anyway, that's beside the point right now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

Get it fixed at the dealer and send the check to the shop that hosed it up. If they refuse take them to court.

That's the main reason I always change the oil myself, after having two oil pans stripped I said gently caress this it's not worth it. They're all in a hurry and give no fucks about your car, then deny deny deny when they gently caress it up.

Yup, just about my thoughts. I'll update when there's news.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meatpimp posted:

Yup, just about my thoughts. I'll update when there's news.

Goodyear store brought in a mechanic from the VW dealer ~15 miles away. Replaced the bolt with another bolt and apparently all is well. I got this second-hand and he's selling the car anyway, so looks like this was much ado about nothing.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Terrible Robot posted:

Girlfriend and I just had a fight about something that I had no control over and have tried to explain this to her repeatedly. Finally lost my temper and yelled "gently caress you!" into the phone before hanging up; just got a text saying she's done. Which wouldn't be so bad if, you know, we didn't have a kid together :suicide:

gently caress this week.

Monday I nearly went to jail/got my car impounded for apparently driving on a suspended license. Found out that some fines I had paid over 5 months ago got lost in a bureaucracy shuffle and somebody decided I should lose my license anyway. Spent all day yesterday at the DMV getting that bullshit sorted out, and they still charged me $150 to get my license back even though it was their fault to begin with.

gently caress the moon, gently caress squirrels, gently caress all this wood in here, gently caress me, gently caress you, gently caress everyone.

Holy poo poo AI has had a bad E/N week. Tell her you're sorry.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Yeah, death anniversaries (and people that "celebrate" them) are weird things...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

poo poo like this (not you, meatpimp, the fact that this is how it is) is just depressing.

Note that I didn't say "tell her you're sorry" because you mean it, more as a placation. Sometimes swallowing pride/reality goes a long way in a relationship.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Bucephalus posted:

[Viggen]
You don't find meatpimp depressing?!?
[/Viggen]

RIP Viggen. He didn't even make it 2 days before his parachute got tossed into kitty jail, too.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

Thats the paranoid jerk button. All the fobs Ive seen will lock all the doors on the first press but not sound the horn, only when you double press will it sound the horn so you dont have to be ocd about it being locked.

But someone will jump in to tell me that his fob will only lock the drivers door on the first press.

You must not have seen many fobs. Most of the car I've seen have some type of audible confirmation as default. Toyotas and Hondas can't be coded out except at the dealer. GM you can change through a setting system on some cars. VW/Audi/BMW is dealer coding, but at least it's an ancillary soft beep, not the main horn sounding.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

leica posted:

So I found out my Camry has a sludge problem. Rather than taking the aggressive route, I decided to just do low interval oil changes with maybe a little seafoam in the crankcase now and then until it starts looking good. Any suggestions on a good oil with lots of detergents? I was thinking of just using supertech (walmart) synthetic since it's cheap.

Auto-RX

Seriously, https://www.auto-rx.com , I've had good luck with it to the point that I almost bought a sludged-to-stall 1.8T Audi.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cage posted:

I needed that poo poo to get at the MAF for my mustang, what the hell is the point of that?

No worries, get one of these and leave it on the shelf until you need it (and you will): http://www.harborfreight.com/100-piece-security-bit-set-68457.html

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Geirskogul posted:

This looks like the snakiest of snake oils.

It looks like it, and I was skeptical, but bitog forum reviews backed up with blackstone results made me take it seriously. ~8 years back we made a weeping rear main seal in a Grand National stop, and I've used it to no ill effect in several cars since then.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

I'm looking for an online checking option that is not a BIG BANK. I want to start keeping all my Amazon and Ebay funds in one account and be prepared for another compromised card like the Target hack a few months ago. Any suggestions?

I use an account at https://www.capitalone360.com as an intermediary between my real accounts and paypal. interceptorV8 turned me on to it when it was still ING Direct Orange. No fees, seems perfectly legit. I've given them no money, keep no money in it, but I've funneled a large amount between paypal any my real accounts. Might be worth a look.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Amandyke posted:

Did I hear Auto-Rx? Allow me to direct you to the #4 Google US search result for Auto-Rx: http://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/auto-rx-oil-treatment-dont-do-233281/

So one guy has an oil leak that doesn't get fixed, then bitches on the internet that he doesn't get free product and that's a damnation of the product? :psyduck:

Either way, on a sludged engine, it can't do anything but good.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

IOwnCalculus posted:

I sure do miss those rates.

That's everywhere, though. Remember when there was something called "interest income"? Oh, those were the days... :swoon:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Whelp. 3 of us are getting pretty fed up with the 4th roommate, who sadly, is the only one of the lease. He wakes up before us all, puts his alarm on snooze while he takes a shower and sings loudly. Then he stomps down the stairs and slams the door shut. I feel bad for my roommate who works 3rd shift and goes to sleep maybe an hour before this happens every day. Today all 3 of us were woken up by this crap so I yelled at him and his GF singing in the shower to, "SHUT THE gently caress UP," went into his room, turned off the alarm on his cellphone and threw it at the bathroom door.

All I can see is your avatar changing to the Archer meme saying "Do you want to be on Judge Judy? Because that's how you get on Judge Judy."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Is Corky Bell's book still considered to be the go-to?

Engine management stuff has changed, but the basics haven't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Tommychu posted:

For snails yes, but he only touches briefly (one chapter of a dozen IIRC) on belt-driven boost. Granted the two concepts aren't that far off from each other, but I've read the poo poo out of that book already and I'm looking for something a little more specific to superchargers.
I'm already into re-reading it again though, it is a hell of a resource.

The best thing I learned from Corky Bell wasn't from his book, it was in his shop. I had my Miata there and I was talking to him about turbo timers (lol, '90s). He took the turbo inlet pipe off my car with it running and showed me that when it was idling that the turbo wasn't even spinning. With that, as long as you idle for a little bit before shutoff, that's really good enough.

Since then, I've never worried about beating on a turbo car, driving sanely the last couple miles, then shutting it off.

• Locked thread