Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Ferremit posted:

So considering that Australia looks set to turn into USA lite with the destruction of Universal health Care, massive cuts to the public sector and the whole place going to poo poo at a rapid rate of knots, where should I move too in the Real USA so I can get cheap fun cars?

Come to Florida, the only state that has rust free cars with no emission testing that won't freeze you to death or kill you with tornadoes, earthquakes and tsunamis :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The old people and hicks are inland, you gotta stay on the coast, west is the best.

And we see hurricanes coming literally hundreds of miles away, if you're not evacuated or in a shelter by the time it hits you're a dumbass and deserve to die.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oregon has all that, plus we have mountains and roads with curves. And you're slightly less likely to get shot walking back from the store with your drink and some skittles.

E: also no muggy summers and no palmetto bugs here.

Muggy is good for the skin and palmetto bugs make great snacks :colbert:

Also you just fire a few shots before leaving any buildings and you're good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Ask all the dudes who frequent the NEAI channel, I'm a coin nerd. If I could make them for a living that'd be so loving sweet.

Yeah standing next to a machine in a factory pounding out coins sounds awesome.

You have obviously never worked in a factory.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Well I guess it's good that someone is willing to do that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm fine with being a cog in the wheel, I just don't want to be the cog that sits in a factory next to a machine all day, been there done that gently caress that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

no one had the balls to call him out on the last day? I think comparing a burnout to murder would have people questioning his sanity. Somebody had to have said something.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

kastein posted:

I am probably going to have the financial nerds up my rear end about this but gently caress credit cards.

I saved up and bought my lovely house with cash. Same with my cars. Same with... anything else that most people want a good credit score for.

So why do I even need a credit card to build my credit score? I don't need it.

The only exception is below-inflation rate cards, 0% intro APR, airline miles, etc. I know I am not responsible enough for that poo poo so I don't sign up.

IMO, you are going to have to pay it at some point anyways and who knows what money you will have then to do so. So why bother? If I can't afford toys now, I don't loving buy them.

(Yes I am still debating not paying the electric bill till next month so I can dream about buying another dumb engine for another of my dumb trucks. yes I know this is hypocritical. No I don't care :v:)

I'm 43 years old and I've never owned a credit card, never will. Thank god my wife has good credit though otherwise we wouldn't have the awesome house that we live in. We do have a Home Depot card with a decent limit, but it's for home improvement/repairs only. Every thing else is paid with cash, if we don't have the cash we don't get it. It's kinda nice having our only debt being the mortgage and a HD card :)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

That's a credit card. Whether it's only good for one retail store or not, same mechanism, same thing.

I'm aware of that. Not on my name though so I guess I get none of the "good credit" but I really don't give a gently caress.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Galler posted:

$300 is probably close enough to the scrap value to make the difference worth not having to deal with craigslist people.

Yep I'd be scrapin' that poo poo.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, look at viggen's rap sheet for this year, he's approaching permaban territory.

Maybe a month break will do him some good.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

goatse guy posted:

I don't think anything will ever fix that.

Nothing will fix it, the key is learning how to deal with it in healthy ways the best you can. Real therapy definitely helps the process. Not so sure the whole time thing works really, you have to be proactive. As a victim of abuse that's my lovely opinion anyway.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Also I feel sorry for anyone that has to change the fuel filter of a '96 Camry. Most pain in the rear end fuel filter in the history of cars, gently caress you Toyota.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Is it weird that I feel guilty that I was never abused in any way? So many people I know were just wrecked by friends, family or people in a position of authority and I'm just over here dealing with being chubby.

It ain't weird dude, I have friends that have no clue and can't comprehend about the kind of poo poo I went through. I just tell them they are blessed and should feel lucky they were raised in a loving family. Some of us aren't so lucky but figure out how to get through it. Some don't.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Buy it back, the car needs you. ESPECIALLY if it's an FD.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

LloydDobler posted:

I have huge self esteem issues so I only date narcissistic women who make me earn their love. Eventually I quit putting in the work and dump them when they complain about it and it all cycles back to being single. Now when I think about dating it only takes me about 2 minutes of fantasizing to get to the point where I'm sick of their poo poo.

I'm picturing you kissing their rear end, then at the flip of a switch telling them to gently caress off. That's awesome, especially if you go for long periods of time letting them think they have you by the balls only to flip it around, and them not knowing wtf just happened :v:

I always got to the "gently caress off" part a lot sooner, usually the first date when I realized they were insufferable cunts.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

That's the plan. If I even get the slightest hesitation from any of them, it's their problem and they have 30 days to remove their car before it becomes mine.

I worked for a Miata specialty shop for awhile and the owner fired customers all the time. Being a specialty shop is a magnet for charity cases, they think you love the cars so much you'll do anything to help them and when they figure out you're *gasp* trying to make money at it, they get all huffy puffy and accuse you of trying to rip them off.

You need to tell people right off the bat that you don't do charity work, you're trying to run a business, and if they don't like it they can kick rocks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

What say you, AI collective?

Get it fixed at the dealer and send the check to the shop that hosed it up. If they refuse take them to court.

That's the main reason I always change the oil myself, after having two oil pans stripped I said gently caress this it's not worth it. They're all in a hurry and give no fucks about your car, then deny deny deny when they gently caress it up.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I found out my Camry has a sludge problem. Rather than taking the aggressive route, I decided to just do low interval oil changes with maybe a little seafoam in the crankcase now and then until it starts looking good. Any suggestions on a good oil with lots of detergents? I was thinking of just using supertech (walmart) synthetic since it's cheap.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

Auto-RX

Seriously, https://www.auto-rx.com , I've had good luck with it to the point that I almost bought a sludged-to-stall 1.8T Audi.

poo poo I forgot about this, thanks man.

Also when I was under the car changing the oil I noticed the trans pan was wet with fluid and missing a bolt. Found an extra bolt and put it in, and found that all the rest of the bolts were HAND TIGHT. I wonder how long it was driving around like that, the missing bolt probably worked it's way out because it was so loose :psyduck:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Amandyke posted:

Did I hear Auto-Rx? Allow me to direct you to the #4 Google US search result for Auto-Rx: http://www.i-club.com/forums/vendor-tuning-service-parts-review-152/auto-rx-oil-treatment-dont-do-233281/

Welp. Guess it's back to my original plan.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

So one guy has an oil leak that doesn't get fixed, then bitches on the internet that he doesn't get free product and that's a damnation of the product? :psyduck:

Either way, on a sludged engine, it can't do anything but good.

Well it did say that it tends to produce leaks and I really don't want to deal with that, especially if just a few short oil changes and a little seafoam (that I already have) will do the trick.

I'll see what happens, I may just give it a shot if my original plan doesn't work.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Powershift posted:

I hit a red light outside of a nearby highschool right as they got out for lunch, and sat and watched the vehicles pour out

-audi a3
-audi a3
-audi a4
-audi a3
-audi a5
-audi a6
-audi a3
-beater crown vic
-audi a3
-audi a4

Your parents are willing to spend 50 grand on a car for you to drive to school in, and nobody comes up with anything different?

Follow the heard, just another cow.

Crown Vic beater driver will end up most successful at the first reunion.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was the only kid in school with a motorcycle, the chicks loved it :smug:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I want to go with FI on my Miata eventually at some point, but in my head I keep going back and forth between an SC or turbo. I suppose it will come down to money, whatever I can get used for the best price :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Raluek posted:

Hell, can't you tow with the Vic? It probably weighs as much as an older pickup. Excuse to get bigger brakes?

Nope, watts link in the rear limits the ability for any significant towing.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

Hrmm, wonder how much I should offer on the bumper cover. Shipping with the seller's packing costs would be $90-$100.

This is the cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251523094614?item=251523094614&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123&vxp=mtr

Buying a new one and getting it painted would be about $650 after some negotiating I did.

Sometimes I have a hell of a time figuring out what things are worth to me, except this Bulleit 10 year I'm sipping. Good bourbon is worth every cent.

Might wanna check on the different years just to make sure the red is consistent all the way through. And if you're spergy the MAZDA decal only came on 1.6 early Miatas.

Also do tell about the Bulleit 10 year, I drink the Bulleit Rye whiskey all the time and it's so smooth.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

So after reading about the 30th anniversary of the Sunshine Skyway collapse I realized I had never actually seen that bridge in person. Happened to be in Tampa today to see some relatives, so I decided to check it out while I was there. Gotta say that is a really pretty area around the bridge. Should have brought a pole to do some fishin'

I got a flat tire on the very top of that bridge once, at about 11pm at night. Shoulder is super narrow, the guard rail is about waist high and it's a LONG way down. It was a pretty loving spooky experience, I tried not to look over but I couldn't help myself. I see why it's a popular place for people to kill themselves, all you gotta do is pull to the side and hop over the guard rail

A friend of a friend jumped not too long ago, left behind a husband and three young kids.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you live in Florida driving in flip flops is a mandatory skill. It's not easy with a manuel but it can be done, I also go barefoot a lot because I'm at the beach all the time :3:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

[edit] GO BILLS

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

Remember in the 90s when the Bills made it to the Superbowl like five times and kept losing? :smith:

Yeah, I remember, but fortunately I got married into being a real Bills fan after all that happened :unsmith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just woke up from a nap to a voicemail from my union hall. They left a message about the letter I wrote requesting to start over as a 1st year inside wireman apprentice. Should I go back to school for another 5 years (free, aside from books) and start over at $14/hr with the promise of more work and side work in my future? I'd be getting a 5% raise every 1,000 hours worked, although I would still be laid off from time to time -- just not nearly as often as the telecom guys. There is a high probability that they are going to shut down the telecom program all together and they'd all have to start over anyways. This way I'd be getting a head start on all that nonsense. I never really had an interest in being an electrician, I love doing telecom work, but there just isn't a decent market for it around here.

How old are you? Sounds like a good idea if you're not going after any kind of degree, getting into a solid trade is the way to go these days. You may hate it at first but the more years you put in the easier it will get and the more money you'll make. The drawback is the whole you could die if you gently caress up thing. Every electrician I've ever met has a story about someone getting hosed up or killed :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

While waiting in line inside the theater for the 10pm screening of Godzilla we saw the 7pm audience leave. One of them had a loving sword strapped to his back. I don't even know what the gently caress.

Well how was Godzilla? And who the gently caress is John Byrne?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

gently caress google, I wanted him to say it :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

I've found myself looking at 07-10 Toyota Camry Hybrids. :ohdear: I feel like I'm going to have to turn in my AI membership card. drat this 40 mile commute and $4/gal gas.

Just get a Mazda 3 with the Skyactiv motor and a 5 speed.

Wait a minute, weren't you looking at CX5's earlier or was that someone else?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CharlesM posted:

The one complaint I have about my 3 is it is a loud car. I think the newer ones still suffer from that problem.

How is it loud? Engine noise or exhaust?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Maybe it's the OE tires? Do the skyactiv 3's come with hard tires like hybrids do?

Either way it sounds like a pretty easy fix, some good tires and/or sound deadening would probably do the trick.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Get some hand weights and a bench, maybe a pull up bar with some ab straps. That's what I use every day and I don't ever go to a gym.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

blk posted:

OK, AI: Esprit S4/S4S vs NSX; which would you choose and why?

Esprit because it's sexier and looks like a supercar.

NSX is probably ten times more reliable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anyone have any concrete and rebar experience? The rebar in the back wall of my patio is spalling (rusting and cracking the concrete) and I'm wondering what I gotta do to correct it or at least slow it down. Thinking about getting out as much as I can and just sealing it with epoxy.

• Locked thread