Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

But it's not rape when you're willing.

Also, you shouldn't wear that skirt in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I said that more because you really don't have the legs for a skirt.

At least shave your legs (and face) first! (wax would be better)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Hey guys how's your Saturday goi-

:stare:

West SAAB Story posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Better now, apparently.

I was a bit shocked to get home from work and find over 100 new posts. I left for work at 4pm. :cripes:

Also, I learned today how much it sucks to drive a man tranny with a twisted ankle. That was one hell of a rough ride.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Stepped on the scale again.

176.5. :woop:

I'm not even exercising that much (nothing outside of work), just cut down on how much pizza and red meat I'm eating. And switched to higher ABV beverages :haw:

I'm about 20 lbs from my target weight at this point.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 4, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e2: So verizon swapped out all of our cable boxes/DVRs for the whole house VMS + IP terminals.

They're slow as 90 year old balls, BTW, but you can do pause/rewind/etc on every TV in the house. Just don't expect them to respond to anything in less than 5 seconds.

The one box that I neglected to set up purchase restrictions on is in the master bedroom.

About 30 minutes ago, a knock at the door, stepdad saying "I think I hit the wrong button".

I look through the purchase history on that terminal ("cable box"). Nothing. :confused:

Then an email..

quote:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RECENT ORDER

Recent Activity Summary for 05-07-2014
This area provides a summary of a recent update or change to your account. As a result of this change a full revised estimate of your monthly charges and what to expect on your first bill is provided.
New Sports Pass $9.99/month

20 minute phone call later, it's fixed. I think.

Goddamnit I wish I could talk the entire house into just using the HDHomeRun Primes. I think once the price of Intel NUCs comes down a little more, that'll be a reality. Having the whole house rely on those + ethernet tuners would knock an easy $50/mo off of my bill, though DVR stuff would become a little more complicated.

rscott posted:

my AC unit is out, they didn't have any working spares so they found this window unit for me to use until they get a replacement

give no fucks, I've got cold air blowing on me and I don't feel like I'm going to melt into a puddle

I would do questionable things to get either a window unit that would work with my shutters (inside shutters) or a portable unit that could exhaust out the window.

I like my living space cooler than most people, but cranking up the 5 1/2 ton whole-house unit to keep one room nice and cool is $$$$$$$$$. The cheapest portable I'm finding that's not an evaporative cooler is still close to $300 (but it's also 8000 BTU, which will keep this room downright frigid, with an energy sticker showing an average cost of $35-40/yr). Pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and order it once my paycheck clears.

e: those look like flat rate Priority Mail boxes, not pizza boxes.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 7, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So I got hungry for a baked potato. Went in the kitchen, nuked a potato (since nukesteam is .... well, not baked, but about an hour quicker.. add another 30 minutes to heat up our lovely oven). Intending to put butter, cheese, and green onions on it. Maybe some crumbled bacon.

I have no idea what the gently caress vortex I fell into, but I left the kitchen with pan fried potatoes, scrambled eggs, green onions, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed jalapenos, cheese, ham, bacon, and... I honestly have no loving idea what else went in it, but it was all mixed into one big greasy sloppy delicious plate.

I hate mushrooms (never liked them). I'm not a big fan of eggs either (they're basically pure cholesterol, and I already have high blood pressure). It's also been about 18 hours since I hit the :350: - only real difference between today and any other time is I haven't had a drink in 2 days.

I'm getting a blood draw Thursday morning for a cholesterol screening. Pretty sure I kicked it up a few (thousand) points with this meal. A very, very, very delicious meal. And I'm still hungry. :argh:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So welp, I can't eat until about 2pm tomorrow. Doctor's appointment at 1pm, had to start fasting by 1am. Didn't get home until a bit after. Doc's gonna pull the vampire bit and suck some blood.

Also incredibly sick of my room always being 10-20 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. We have decent a/c, but I'm at the far end from the HVAC unit. Window shaker isn't a real option - partly because of wooden shutters in here (so I'd never be able to close them), partly because.. who wants to see a window shaker hanging out of a front bedroom window? Would have been a lot cheaper though, the local WalMart has a basic 5500 BTU unit for $109 ($199 for 8000 BTU with a remote). I'd honestly prefer a window shaker if we didn't have wood shutters, but I know it'd be betting for a neighbor to bitch (we're in a voluntary HOA - no real power, and we're not a member, but it still gives people enough of a big head to say "OH NO YOU DIDN'T").

Snagged a 10k BTU portable unit w/exhaust ductwork for less than $200... shipped - from compactappliance.com's open box/scratch and dent arm (openboxdirect.com). They're right here in Texas, so shipping will be quick. And a call center I worked at ages ago handled CA's overflow/afterhours calls - they treated their customers really well. Sales tax brought it up to only about $207.

Friar Zucchini posted:

poo poo, I don't even know the exact day my mom died.

My most recent family loss (grandmother) is probably the only one I'll remember.

Why?

She died on April Fool's... which used to be one of my favorite days. :sigh:

I know my grandpa's birthday (only because it's the PIN for my mother's debit debit card, and I handle a decent chunk of her finances :downs: ) - but the only reason I even remember the year he died is because I remember getting the call at work. I worked in a call center at the time, and aside from the multiple queues I handled (mostly internal help desk stuff), I had my own direct # (and voicemail). Mom caught me between calls. I only worked there for a year, so..

I frequently mix up my father's and stepfather's birthdays. Not the years, not even the months.. but one was born on the 11th, the other on the 14th. One in January, one in December. The only way I can keep them straight today is my stepmother's birthday is attached to her Facebook account - and she shares my dad's birthday (not year though). :doh: So when I get the Facebook popup in December....

AF posted:

I just moved from a quiet private home in the hills to an apartment complex where my room is facing the parking lot. After just under a week, I've decided I would like to strangle whoever it was that decided that locking a car with keyless entry sets off the horn. loving god drat honkathon every night

I'm.. I'm one of those guys. Except when it's late at night. Mostly because I'm usually in a hurry and not looking over my shoulder at the car, and my fobs have absolute poo poo range even with new batteries.

In my defense, it's a very very brief blip of the horn, basically the factory version of the single chirp of an aftermarket alarm turning on.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Question for you all that google was failing me on... How much can widening spark gap as a spark plug ages in modern coil on plug cars impact how well the car runs? How off spec would a plug have to be before you'd expect it to impact the running of the car and where do you think it'd be noticed first? Probably at cruising speeds where the fuel mixture leans out for MPGs right?

To be honest, I'd think you'd see the same symptoms as you would with a distributor based system - COP will probably mask the symptoms a bit longer. First symptom will usually be harder starting when the engine is cold.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slavvy posted:

I've seen modern COP cars with the plugs worn down to stubs that were even with the tip of the insulator and they still ran fairly decent, so I think you have a lot of wiggle room. But there's no point dicking around with gaps cause you just buy pre-gapped plugs anyway so....

Also it's a lot harder on the coils, supposedly.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So the a/c I'd ordered was actually out of stock. Sick of constantly melting on this side of the house, so I snagged an a/c from Lowes.

It worked great for about an hour. Still gets cold, but something sounds a little off now. :shepicide:

I'm so tempted to "modify" the shutters so that a window shaker will fit. At least it'd be quieter, and take up a lot less space. And be a ton cheaper anyway.

Oh hey the condensation pan was full. So much for "single hose exhaust", I drained a good two cups out of the drat thing.

Motronic posted:

Go find a local bank. Seriously, many of them are awesome and the good ones use one of 2 or 3 big backend online providers so you can access your account with quickbooks/quicken/mint/whatever. A local bank is more likely to work with you on things like loans, etc especially when you've been a customer for a while.

This, but credit union instead. My CU uses Intuit for their online services, which lets them offer a lot of stuff you typically associate with "big" banks (deposit by phone, expense tracking, etc). They're also part of the Allpoint network, so for the rare times I actually use an ATM, I have to work to find an ATM that actually charges me.

Or if you have a way to join, USAA is loving awesome (and the only big bank worth two fucks). The only reason I have both CU and USAA accounts is because most of my income is cash.. which is kind of a pain to deposit when there's not a local branch. :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 9, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chase is a dick if you don't have direct deposit, and don't receive a certain amount per month.

So yeah. I have some genuine concerns now.

I haven't been able to afford medical care in years. I finally got in under the evil ObamaCare thing, but then missed 2 appointments thanks to life and money.

Since I'm in a HMO, my PCP has to handle most aspects. And since I haven't had blood work in decades (and have blood pressure high enough that the doctor actually asked me if I'd had a heart attack yet), he wanted to draw blood and take a bit of piss.

The piss was no problem.

The blood? One nurse tried 3 times. The physicians assistant tried once. The doctor finally walked back in and jokingly said I was causing trouble, and he'd show everyone how it was done (and ushered in the PA and one nurse to watch). Then played hunt the vein for over 5 minutes. When he finally did find a vein, it was in my wrist.

Halfway through, he asked if I'd ever passed out from a blood draw. I'm always a smartass, so I said "not yet, but there's a first for everything, right?".

:argh:

Guess who woke up on the floor, surrounded by a doc, PA, and nurses? :smith:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GODFUCKINGDAMNITASSFUCKCHRIST

I'm usually a big fan of credit unions. But I usually use my CU account to move money into my USAA account.

I just got three emails from my CU about "rejected transfers". the total amount of those xfers added up to under $100. I have nearly $1000 sitting in the CU account that these funds were supposed to come out of (and no holds). And USAA will re-try all of those xfers once - so that's $35 x 6 in NSF fees, and who knows what I'll get in rejected transfer fees from USAA (if they don't close the account entirely).

the tldr: gently caress Texans CU. As soon as everything clears, I'm closing all of my accounts with them. It's either DATCU (who I absolutely love) or CU of Texas (who has online banking from 1995) after that; I'll gladly take DATCU (and well, moving back to Denton in July anyway, so DATCU is the logical choice).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 10, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I did shrooms for the first time in a good 10 years awhile back - maybe a year ago?

When someone tells you "these are insanely good. whatever you do, don't eat the entire 1/8th. seriously".... pay attention. I forgot where I was.. who I was.. what day it was.. what year it was.. how old I was... just a complete loss of ego. I was right on the border of "this is loving AWESOME" and "oh fffffffuuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkkk"; it got pretty hairy for a bit.

Once I started coming back to reality, I realized I'd used the garbage can next to my desk as a urinal. :doh:

Only regret was eating the entire bag in one go; I'm kicking myself for not saving any. I don't ever want to get that far gone again though.

The only genuinely bad trip I've had was on several hits of acid... someone passed me a bong with a fresh bowl. I was an rear end and roasted the entire bowl in one hit; that's when someone said "uh, dude.. that was dro". Being too stoned is bad enough without a head full of LSD along for the ride; I couldn't smoke without getting really anxious for about 3 years after that. I've only dropped acid once since then, and it brought back some of the memories (which is why I haven't done acid in 13 years... well that and it's stupid expensive these days)

So, work chat. Coworker locked her keys in her car - I have AAA, so I had them come out to get her back in (is it bad when they say "oh, are you at <work address> again?" this makes 3 times I've had them come out to unlock a coworker's car in the past year). We'd been closed for a bit by then, and what was just 2 people behind the store turned into about 8 people toking, drinking, and a few dancing in the back of a Honda Ridgeline :psypop: with plenty of loud music. The "OH SHITS" that went out when 2 cops rolled into the parking lot and stopped behind the Ridgeline...

They either didn't smell anything or chose to ignore it (likely ignored), and definitely ignored the open containers in the lot; just asked if we worked there, then flirted a bit with the female staff, and suggested I turn the bass down a bit (I'd volunteered my car for its mighty subwoofer :black101: - but there's a hotel next door). They normally roll through our parking lot late at night anyway, but the parking lot isn't usually full of half drunk, half stoned employees blasting terrible music at midnight. The mexican restaurant at the other end of the lot generally has the same thing going on after close on Fridays and Saturdays, they just close a bit earlier :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

The whole "we're dressing them up like twin sisters" bit is a bit :barf: - I wouldn't want to be involved with two brothers, anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

goatse guy posted:

I was surprised and touched with how many people did reach out to me.

I really hosed myself over in my meltdown. I'm going to recover, but I managed to blow a significant chunk of my savings on partying and traveling, did irreversible damage to my liver, and ruined at least a couple of friendships.

Been there, done that.. more than once. Frankly, kind of on the verge of a meltdown now, but more for family drama these days.

I'm late to the party, but feel free to hit me up on the bookface; been there, done that with detox, rehab, AA/NA, poor life choices, etc. I'm not the guy you want to introduce your kids to immediately, but I can at least relate to the addiction and depression stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So Go Like Hell: Ford, Ferrari, and Their Battle for Speed and Glory at Le Mans is on sale for $1.99 (Kindle edition only).

I snagged it. Haven't started reading it yet, but hey, $2 for a day or two.

Preoptopus posted:

It also shorts out the entire circuit if used in tandem with the microwave.

A microwave is pulling 1000-2000 watts on its own, depending on output (you can usually expect output wattage to be 60-70% of input). My own microwave is a 1000 watt unit - the data plate shows it pulls 1650 watts to produce 1000 watts. There's also a significant inrush above that when it first turns on as well.

Most toaster ovens pull 1300-1600 watts.

So that alone is 3250 watts, assuming similar units. At 120V, that's right at 27 amps, before factoring in the inrush current for the microwave. You're likely running that on a 15 or 20 amp circuit. Of course the breaker is going to trip.

Preoptopus posted:

In my state its illegal to drive barefoot. So the real skill is putting shoes on as fast as you can while being pulled over.

Except it's not illegal to drive barefoot anywhere in the US? It's illegal to ride motorcycles without shoes in many states though.

T1g4h posted:

That seems to be it, then. Normally after even just 5 - 10 minutes of idling the heater would blow nice, toasty warm air. Now it's basically lukewarm at best. Ah well, cheap and easy fix, glad I have you guys to point me in the right direction!

Your mileage should go up a bit once you replace the thermostat.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 14, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Bottom line this poo poo for me: will I hate life and my new computer if I get an AMD chip? This system would be primarily used for gaming and general-computer-fuckery.

I'm late to the party, but absolutely go with Intel. I jumped ship from AMD a bit over 2 years ago and haven't looked back - AMD's fine for low end stuff, also for space heaters; but their high end stuff just doesn't hold a candle to the i5/i7.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Raluek posted:

If you want to overclock, make sure you get a K version; Intel locks the multipliers on the others.

I've got a 3-year-old Sandy Bridge machine that is plenty fast still, and I haven't needed to overclock it to stay competitive. For what that's worth. Not that I play many games anymore.

That's one thing that's fantastic about K chips - all you do to overclock is change the multiplier. No playing with hundreds of toggles, no playing with voltages, no playing with FSB speeds. It just.. works. You CAN play with voltages to squeeze out another 200-300 MHz, but at that point, it's just :flaccid: waving.

Sandy Bridge here too - i5-2500k, was at 4.4 ghz for nearly 2 years until I made the jump from BIOS to UEFI, won't boot above 4.3 anymore. This PC is massive overkill for what I do (except for RAM, I could use more).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

My old Athlon 64 X2 5200 ran at 80+ under load, 45ish at idle.

That was with a Hyper212 cooler.

I have the Hyper212+ (basically a 120mm version of the same cooler) on this; I've yet to see it break 50C unless I fire up Prime95 (it'll peak around 70C after about 30-45 minutes). Idle hangs out around 28-32C, though it pretty much never sees idle these days. Always recording something from the TV tuner, always recording from 3 different cameras, etc. Right now, with 1 live TV stream and 1 TV stream recording, plus the camera server, torrent client, and a billion chrome tabs, has the cpu bouncing between 32-36C.

That's with 2 case fans (1 intake, 1 exhaust, both 120mm). The case temp is a hair above room temp, and thanks to the top-mount exhaust fan (which sits literally directly over the CPU cooler), pretty much always stays that way.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 15, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

lol the last-gen Pentium in my laptop hits 83c just loading a youtube video and idles at like 54c. But, it's a Pentium so that's normal.

My Chromebook's CPU fan sounds like a hair dryer if I even sneeze at YouTube. Or Netflix. Or even Google Maps. :haw: It's a Celeron of some sort.

When I had Linux on it (Chrubuntu), it would regularly throttle way down and log a bunch of stuff related to CPU temp.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

mariooncrack posted:

If you have a micro center near you, consider going there for your motherboard and processor. They have really good bundle deals on those and overall pretty good prices.

You ain't kidding there. When I got my board and processor, the combo wound up being something like $30 or so more than just the CPU alone.

It was a $150 board at the time.

They usually have people somewhat knowledgeable on hand too - unlike Fry's.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

If you're going with that line of thought, then the Cobalt/Ion/G5, and the successor (Cruze) would count as European; the Chevy Volt would also count as an import, as would the Chevy Equinox. They all ride on variations of the Delta platform, which we can thank Opel for.

Oh hey, how about the Camaro? It's based on the Zeta platform (just like the G8), which we should be thanking Holden for. The Chevy SS is also built on that platform.

:spergin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Got a pretty :gizz: text earlier inviting me over to some sexy times. Yay! :quagmire:

Then I got back from my last delivery at work to find this waiting for me:

:flaccid:

Guess who clocked out at 2:45am? :smith:

bolind posted:

I just joined a fancy commercial gym due to changing jobs and losing access to the one at my old work, and pretty much my entire workout could take place in a squat rack that has a pullup bar bolted to it.

The city I live in has several city-owned recreation centers - a couple of them even have pools. All of them have a decent selection of cardio + weight equipment, the one I always go to has an indoor track as well.

$119/year, and they're open early/late. I let my membership lapse recently, but I plan to join again pretty soon.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 18, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

meatpimp posted:

I have never understood the rage about Windows 8. The standard, traditional desktop is literally 1 click from the Metro interface. It's just not an issue.

Yes and no. The start menu is completely gone in stock Win8. You can still find apps easily enough with the search bar - which is how I found most programs/etc in 7 anyway (it was so much easier to tap <win key> and type :filez: instead of clicking start, then programs, then Adobe, then totallylegalphotoshop). In stock Windows 8, you either click Desktop from the Metro UI, or mash the windows key in just the right way.

Either way, 7 taught me enough that I just tap <windows key> and the first few letters of what I'm looking for. For me, it's far faster than even having a shortcut on the desktop, but I also type a little faster than the average person (last recruiter's typing test put me around 110 WPM @ 100%), so :iiam:

Startisback seems to be a little buggy with that, it seems to completely lose stuff I don't use more than once a month or so. But the Metro UI also seems to have that fault, so who knows..

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:45 on May 18, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So ever since it started warming up, I've noticed my engine pinging under acceleration, to the point that I can feel the loss of power when the ECU says NOPE and pulls timing. No codes, though mileage has gone to poo poo (last couple of tanks were right at 22 mpg). Running premium gets rid of the pinging... but also empties my wallet a bit quicker (manual calls for 87 octane).

I'd swapped the original plugs for NGK platinums last fall. I know the ignition system on the L61 is pretty drat picky; I just ordered the original p/n Delco iridium plugs (jesus gently caress $7 per plug?!). There's a $2/plug rebate going on right now too. Going to toss a new fuel filter at it soon as well.

Preoptopus posted:

gently caress that poo poo seriously? Your manager didnt even get a head start for you?
I would have walked out.

Did I mention there were 3 of us attacking that pile? :shepicide:

And the closing manager has their hands full with tons of poo poo before they can help with dishes - being a full restaurant/bar/delivery/carryout operation, there's a lot of paperwork, cleaning, etc to do. Closing manager handles all of the back of house closing stuff (except for dishes).

In any event, I mentioned to my GM that I'm looking for another job (second job initially, then eventually leave the Hut), and asked if he'd be willing to give me a good reference. He's willing to give both professional and personal references for me, just wants a heads up if I give out his cell # (he doesn't usually answer calls from #s he doesn't recognize).

Tusen Takk posted:

What's the verdict on Rangers and Nissan Hardbodies? I would love a ute but since those are pretty much non-existent under $5,000 (and afaik the only American ute was the El Camino and some Ford iirc) I guess I have to settle with a small pickup.

There's plenty of Rangers in AI (even our sexy mod has one), and I know several people who own them. The 4 cyl is slow, but solid. Not sure which V6 is the better one.

Hardbodies are generally solid, but you'll get to deal with replacing the timing chain guides pretty much ASAP if you get the 4 cylinder (it's straightforward, but you have to be ultra careful with the timing cover - the top seal on it is part of the head gasket and very easy to damage). Also keep in mind that the last year of the Hardbody in the US was 1997, though the KA engine lived on in the Frontier - while the Ranger was sold until 2011. The Ranger will also be cheaper to purchase.

If you're considering a V6 Hardbody, ask Ultimateforce about common issues.

You Am I posted:

Also drove a new Holden Cruze Diesel today. The motor was so loving noisy in it. There must be no sound insulation at all in it.

I'v driven the petrol Cruze (US version obviously - 2011 model year, rental) before. Even the gasser was a bit noisy on the intake side, but I chalked that up more to "economy car". It was a pretty well behaved and comfortable car though, far better (and quieter) than what I expected.

The diesel went on sale for the 2014 model year stateside - reviews are actually generally positive, even calling it "quiet". But the whole "slushbox only" bit is a turnoff for me. So is the $25k sticker (the gasser starts at $17.5k).

T1g4h posted:

Isn't being a kitchen bitch great?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

We haven't actually had the Hilux since 1996 or 1997 (never sold as the Hilux here; marketed simply as the Toyota Truck).

And they're stupidly expensive for what they are. Late 80s/early 90s can still easily break $5k+ on the local Craigslist - such as this 1994 with nearly 300,000 miles and broken a/c. This base model 1987 (again with broken a/c) has an asking price of $3500.

You could pick up a much later model Ranger (with working a/c!) for about the same cost of that '87. Here's an ad (spanish) for a 99 with working a/c for $3500, here's a 1996 with working a/c for $2450.

We haven't had an actual ute since the Chevy El Camino ended production in 1987.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 19, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Well the last time Lowtax put up a red thread it broke the phone app for a week (technically not SAs fault, I think it was a coding issue with the newest version of the app), so who the hell knows what's going on now.

Both threads are also funky when using a regular web browser.

It looks like the link is going to an announcement URL instead of a normal thread?

Terrible Robot posted:

I'm frankly amazed the forums work even half as good as they do, running on a kludged together version of vBulletin from last century and "maintained" by Radium for all those years.

Also this.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rhyno posted:

Do 1994 and 1996 Civic body panels swap over? A friend found a dude parting out a '96 on CL and it has everything I'd need.

Nope. About the only thing that's an easy swap is the transmission, and only if it's a manual. Suspension components might swap. Bodies and interiors are completely different, engines are just different enough to make wiring interesting (96 engine will go into a 94 easily, but a 94 won't really go into a 96 - lacks IAT and knock sensors that the 96 ECU expects).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 20, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Woke up really late today.

Saw a voicemail waiting on my phone. It was from my doctor's office, basically saying "uh, you need to call us back ASAP, it's very important".

I'm gonna guess they got the results back from my blood work. :ohdear:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Well poo poo, I guess I found the acid I hid several years ago...

PUT ON YOUR SEATBELTS KIDS, THIS IS GONNA BE A LONG, hosed UP RIDE

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

How the hell did you wind up with a VW loaner when a GM dealership is doing the work? :confused:

It's been almost a month since I tried to get the dealer to take the car. Even had an appointment (scheduled several days in advance). Can't get my service advisor to return calls... I'm getting more than a little annoyed with Huffines Chevrolet. :sigh:

They refused to do a loaner as well.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 22, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

So our HHR is at the dealership for two months while they try to sort out the whole ignition cutting off and killing people thing. They gave us a 2013 Impala to drive in the meantime, and I've come to the conclusion that it's not that much better than my '96 Camry :v:

I'm kind of tempted to get a loaner from the dealer - they just kind of blew me off when I showed up for my (scheduled) appointment. They said they'd call me in 3-4 weeks when they got parts... and that was 3 1/2 weeks ago.

It's shut off on me a couple of times, but thankfully being a manual, I just had to flick the key back to run.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

So the Dell I found in the alley?

I fought with it a bit. Kept trying to get XP on it. Along with 7. Along with various versions of Linux.

Turns out the optical drive on it is hosed. XP is still bitchy as hell and refuses to install even from USB, seeing as the main HDD in it is SATA (and XP didn't usually ship with SATA drivers). Even using an OEM Dell ISO, I still couldn't get it to play nice - it'd either refuse to boot, or BSOD once it got past the text mode installer. Some Linux distros worked fine, some got bitchy and threw a kernel panic when they tried to load SATA drivers.

I actually managed to fist 7 into it, somehow. It's.... I won't lie, it's not fast. It's kind of like watching an 80 year old in decent shape climb 20 flights of stairs. But it works. And seeing as the main users will be some people in their mid 60s, familiar is better than pure speed.

It started installing 106 updates about an hour ago; it's up to #10. Glad I have a portable A/C to offset Mr. P4 Prescott's heat for the next day or two.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:28 on May 25, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rephrase:

I legally own a Win7 Home Premium key that was unused for a bit until I installed Win7 on this beast.

Happy? :colbert:

edit: this thing is a serious space heater, goddamn. The 8000 BTU A/C in here (in a room that would be appropriate for 4000 BTU) is having trouble keeping it cool.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:36 on May 25, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Motronic posted:

Yet it doesn't on plenty of things with discreet AC buttons. Things like the dumbed down Ford 3-wheel climate control will do it automatically, but plenty of stuff with other types of manual climate control will not. If you can set a temperature on a digital display or LCD then you don't need to worry about this (as far as I know).

I discovered that my 99 Altima always ran the a/c when on the defrost mode (but not on defrost/floor mix), even though it didn't light up the switch. It also forced fresh air.

It would also go into recirculate when set to vent, a/c, and the fan switch was at max.

I want to say most Honda stuff I've owned turned on the a/c when you switched to defrost, but I'm not 100% on that.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

No car I've owned with manual climate control and functional AC has done this.
The ones with automatic always did.

Looks pretty manual to me.

The a/c and recirculate lights didn't come on when it forced either of them, but the compressor very much engaged when on defrost. And the recirculate button did absolutely nothing except toggle the indicator light when on vent/ac/fan=4 (you could hear the recirculate door move as well).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, definitely not a universal thing. It surprised me when I figured out what it was actually doing.

Recirc anything without running the a/c means fogged windows on my car instantly, pretty much year round. Mostly humidity, partly because I do food delivery - so grease builds up on all of the windows in my car pretty quickly. :barf:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

blk posted:

Bluetooth randomly turns off, won't turn back on. Have to hard reset the phone, sometimes multiple times, for it to play ball again.

Might try a different ROM + radio?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nm posted:

Why is it that my 1992 camry would turn off the headlights if I turned off the car

That would drive me loving crazy. As someone who does delivery, I often wind up delivering to some fuckwit at night who doesn't bother turning on a porch light. So I park at an angle in their driveway with my headlights facing their front door (lest I trip over their garden hose, dead cat, broken steps, etc).

It requires flipping the switch from "auto" to "on", and enduring the chime of shame as I get out of the car. Car still shuts them off after 15 minutes, but if I'm not back in it by then I'm probably dead..

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slept a whopping 2 hours last night. About 3 hours the night before, 1 hour the night before that, and so on, and so on. Every time I'm just about to fall asleep, someone decides "oh, it's 5am, time to vacuum the entire house". Followed by "oh it's 6am, time to open the shutters and let the dog go absolutely apeshit if a leaf blows past the window", then "7am, time to mow the yard". Then 9am, time to blast Fox News cranked to 11. Then 10am, time to wake up for work.

So when I left the house today, I took my cellphone charger and laptop to work. Sitting in a Motel 6 with a sink full of ice and beer, and looking forward to sleeping for 8+ (hopefully 10) hours. Tomorrow will be :feelsgood: (I hope) , tonight is a mix of "why am I still awake" and "oh there's more beer in the sinkfridge".

Even for a Motel 6 this place is a loving dump, but it will be loving awesome being able to sleep without being constantly woken up. And one hell of a powerful (yet quiet) a/c unit.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

atomicthumbs posted:

Dave's Insanity Sauce is decent in the heat department but the taste is eh.

The first time I tried Dave's (Total Insanity, I think), I thought you used it like.. well.. salsa. Probably a tablespoon went into each taco.

I made it halfway into the second taco before I realized what a mistake that was. :supaburn:

Trader Joe's Habanero is good. Cholula is decent if you just need to spice up the flavor a bit without adding any real heat.

Anything with a lot of vinegar (Tabasco, etc) can gently caress right off.

iwentdoodie posted:

Vinegar sauce is disgusting, btw.

Edit: I also love hot food, and use chili sauces like most people use ketchup. I will also eat chili's as a snack.

I'll eat roasted anaheims, Hatch, poblanos, and jalapenos as a snack.

When I worked at Whole Foods, they had an annual Hatch chile festival. One year I was working in the kitchen - peeling roasted Hatch peppers that day. Several of the cooks dared me to eat one, without drinking any water.

I ate 5 before they told me "okay okay stop, we need the rest of them." I guess they didn't know that those are my favorite peppers, or that I've spent my entire life eating spicy food. v:v:v

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 28, 2014

• Locked thread