Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

tentish klown posted:

I'm curious - what do you think "middle-class" means?
Middle class means anyone who earns the same as me +/- 30% regardless of my current income.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Betjeman posted:

£800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria.

You do realise that £800 per month isn't cheap, right? I'm in an entry-level position in the NHS and that would be 60% of my take-home salary gone straight away. Then there's the monthly season ticket, which is £140 on top.
So then I'm left with 32% of my take-home salary to pay for those little luxuries in life like food, water, electricity and gas.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Umiapik posted:

Articles on this very subject are now regularly appearing in the Telegraph, where posh journalists have switched from gloating over their house price gains to indignantly complaining that neither they nor their children can afford to live in London any more. Here's a good example:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100075127/house-prices-will-destroy-the-british-class-system/

(Note also the usual rather amusing Telegraph ideas about what "middle-class" actually means...)
I actually quite like this article, because it's completely upfront and honest about the fact that the Establishment is hereditary and your school (and father's school) is one of the biggest determinant of your life chances.

It's refreshing to see the poshos freely admitting how things work and not hiding behind big inky clouds of bullshit.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 30, 2014

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

Yeah, but it is also a much bigger country and arguably only 2 or 3 really are London like and the rest more Manchester.

[edit] NY is also a good head above no2 as well.

Munin fucked around with this message at 11:11 on May 30, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Munin posted:

Yeah, but it is also a much bigger country and arguably only 2 or 3 really are London like and the rest more Manchester.
Sure, I just mean it's perhaps as advantage of living in a big country.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.

£800 a month is an absolute fuckload of money (almost 50% of take-home pay for someone on the London median wage, plus you have to add on £200 for your zone 1-5 travelcard). It speaks volumes that you think spending way over half your wages just on rent and travel is reasonable.

For context 20 years ago £100 a week (which is close enough to £800 a month in today's money), would have got you a one-bed flat on the Isle of Dogs or a 2-bed house with garden out in Plaistow.

Housing prices are insane, and saying "well it's very slightly less insane in this particular area" is ridiculous.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

We live in the Empire of London. It takes our talented and promising young people and resources and then complains of "subsidising" the rest of the country.

If the UK is to survive in any meaningful way the centralisation of the economy and services in London has to be reversed.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

£800 a month is an absolute fuckload of money (almost 50% of take-home pay for someone on the London median wage, plus you have to add on £200 for your zone 1-5 travelcard). It speaks volumes that you think spending way over half your wages just on rent and travel is reasonable.

For context 20 years ago £100 a week (which is close enough to £800 a month in today's money), would have got you a one-bed flat on the Isle of Dogs or a 2-bed house with garden out in Plaistow.

Housing prices are insane, and saying "well it's very slightly less insane in this particular area" is ridiculous.
There's also the point that a lot of these are temporary solutions. A houseshare is fine when you're 25 and single; it's harder to make it work when you're 33 and married with a kid. For most of the last two decades house prices have been rising faster than wages, so every year you spend in the houseshare is making the house you can eventually afford to buy smaller and smaller, which makes it less and less compatible with basic human functions like reproduction.

edit: also by the time you have a kid you'll need to find £12,000 a year after tax to put it in childcare so that you and your partner can both work to pay your colossal, barely-affordable rent / mortgage.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 30, 2014

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

Middle class means anyone who earns the same as me +/- 30% regardless of my current income.

That's pretty much the issue I'm pointing out - the definition of middle class has changed so much (possibly due to aspiration, social mobility, and those drat poors not knowing their place) that it ranges from 'I can afford houmous' to 'I'm worth loving millions but no one in my near family has a title'.
The Telegraphs definition of middle class is not right or wrong, it's just different from Umiapiks.

Zephro posted:

There's another problem, of course, which is London's general dominance of the UK. There are many industries where if you have any ambition to succeed London is the only place you can go. It's all very well when people say that house prices in Cumbria have barely moved and that £60,000 will buy you a perfectly decent two-bed terraced house. The problem is no-one wants to live in Cumbria because there's nothing to do.

I don't know whether it's easier to fix London's housing crisis or fix the UK's city-state-itis, but there's no political will to do either.

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

You would be more accurate comparing America with Europe, given the relative populations and landmass covered, and the freedom of movement. In which case, we do indeed have several legitimately big cities - London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Rome etc.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Well they're getting rid of all the agency teams working at the Plymouth MDEC in a week's time - all of them, even the people who've been working there for three years, because of 'a change in the MDEC and low workload' two days after having a team briefing cancelled because they were too busy - so I'll be unemployed again! Hooray! I'm sure the privatisation of Royal Mail had nothing to do with this, nothing at all. I'm sure looking forward to them mass-hiring temps again after waiting long enough that they can legally get away with paying us minimum wage once more! Definitely not bitter!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

tentish klown posted:

You would be more accurate comparing America with Europe, given the relative populations and landmass covered, and the freedom of movement. In which case, we do indeed have several legitimately big cities - London, Paris, Berlin, Madrid, Rome etc.
Geographically yes, as a country I don't agree. Europe lacks a common language and so there isn't really freedom of movement in the same way there is in the US.

Anyway, the point isn't to say "We should make Britain more like America," it was just offered as a contrast to show up just how much like a city-state Britain feels.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Zephro posted:

Sure, I just mean it's perhaps as advantage of living in a big country.

Yeah, you could talk about Paris and Frankfurt being our safety valves...

CancerCakes posted:

We live in the Empire of London. It takes our talented and promising young people and resources and then complains of "subsidising" the rest of the country.

If the UK is to survive in any meaningful way the centralisation of the economy and services in London has to be reversed.

London also pulls in the talented and promising young people from across the world. The "Empire of London" phrasing would also be apt in that respect.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was quoting that specific figure from the previous post, in reference to someone in their 50's being upset about how poor their life is because what a dump £800 gets their kid. I also put in the cost of a zone 3 house share for good measure. And unless everyone in here is pushing 50, I doubt we all have the benefit of knowing first hand "well, it was like that 20 years ago so"?

We are all of a generation where the preceding generation hosed us over with regards to property. I bypassed a lifetime of being a rent slave by moving to the West Midlands, buying a house, and pumping every last penny of our joint income into equity so we could afford not to worry about renting. I did this in my 30's. My 20's were spent pissing money up the wall on rent and alcohol and trying to get at least a pound into the black every payday. For reference, I started out on £100 a week living in a £60 bedsit, so I like to think I did have some knowledge of what it's like to be poor and only able to afford to eat pasta and noodles.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Zephro posted:

edit: also by the time you have a kid you'll need to find £12,000 a year after tax to put it in childcare so that you and your partner can both work to pay your colossal, barely-affordable rent / mortgage.

I'm on a pretty good wage. This post just scared the hell out of me. I think this is something that needs to be made clear to more people desperate to get onto the 'property ladder' London - the bank owning your house with the vague promise of being able to wring enough money out of the next sucker looking to take over your hovel is not 'security', it is a dead weight, a shackle.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

lenoon posted:

I'm on a pretty good wage. This post just scared the hell out of me. I think this is something that needs to be made clear to more people desperate to get onto the 'property ladder' London - the bank owning your house with the vague promise of being able to wring enough money out of the next sucker looking to take over your hovel is not 'security', it is a dead weight, a shackle.

Think of it as a shackle that prevents you falling off the cliff of indebted servitude (a lifetime of renting in London). Preferable, but not ideal.

With the London property market I agree with you that "the only winning move is not to play." Unless you have enough millions to keep flipping properties as investments, and then why the hell are you on here.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Munin posted:

[edit] NY is also a good head above no2 as well.

Germany is a better comparison than the US. Different cities have been developed in different niches, rather than everything being lumped into one megacity. London is like if you took the US and combined New York, Washington, and Los Angeles - a combination of Culture, Government, and Business such that nobody ever has to go anywhere else and it devours investment and people to the detriment of elsewhere. Combine that with an 18th century political setup and an English populace that for loving incomprehensible reasons doesn't want regional power, and we get London.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Zephro posted:

There's also the point that a lot of these are temporary solutions. A houseshare is fine when you're 25 and single; it's harder to make it work when you're 33 and married with a kid.

I've been talking about this a lot since moving back to Finland from London. Over here people will pay 700-800 euros for a studio flat within walking distance of the city centre, which is pretty rough if you're on minimum wage. So interestingly you actually have a better quality of life in London if you share a house with like six other people, renting a room as big as a studio flat here, for less money. Like I know guys who make serious money, are on a serious career path, and they live in some grimy terraced house in Brockley with seven others. But then over here in Finland barely anyone but totally skint students or hippies share a house, so it's a really marginal option. I think it shows well how Londoners adapt to the absolutely ridiculous housing market, adjusting their lifestyle in a way that in many other cities would be considered unacceptable.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
If anyone was thinking of reading Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" but didn't want to pay £30, WHSmiths are doing it for half price. Might just be for this week though, I'm not sure.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

If anyone was thinking of reading Thomas Piketty's "Capital in the Twenty-First Century" but didn't want to pay £30, WHSmiths are doing it for half price. Might just be for this week though, I'm not sure.

Best news I've heard all day; heading down to get it now!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Forgive me for asking but is it a suitable read for a layman, or is it a fairly heavy academic read?

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Is it a good read? Is it nothing new if you've read this kind of thing before? I've heard tons about it and might go pick it up

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Pork Pie Hat posted:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/capital-in-the-twenty-first-century/product/9780674430006

Not half price online unfortunately. I'll probably wait for a cheap kindle edition at some point.

Nice chap from Ipsos MORI just came round doing a survey about radio listening and gave me a fiver, score.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.

I can't be the only one who feels something sinister about referring to living areas by 'zones'.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

El Scotch posted:

I can't be the only one who feels something sinister about referring to living areas by 'zones'.

Not really, they're just a vague measure of distance to the center of London. Saying zone 1, 2, 3, etc is a much more efficient shorthand than 'it's like 20 miles outside London and takes about an hour to get there'

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

CancerCakes posted:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/capital-in-the-twenty-first-century/product/9780674430006

Not half price online unfortunately. I'll probably wait for a cheap kindle edition at some point.

Kindle edition has been £17.92 forever. Not cheap, exactly, but certainly a lot cheaper than print.

Which reminds me, I need to get round to reading that at some point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

tentish klown posted:

Not really, they're just a vague measure of distance to the center of London. Saying zone 1, 2, 3, etc is a much more efficient shorthand than 'it's like 20 miles outside London and takes about an hour to get there'

Manchester was divided into Zones for bus travel more than 30 years ago. Somehow they never got round to herding us all into camps, though.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

HortonNash posted:

Forgive me for asking but is it a suitable read for a layman, or is it a fairly heavy academic read?

bit of both, its cut up into bite size chunks that build on each other

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Manchester was divided into Zones for bus travel more than 30 years ago. Somehow they never got round to herding us all into camps, though.

That's because....

Manchester is the camp!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

tentish klown posted:

Well, it is also a direct shorthand for your monthly commuting costs.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

El Scotch posted:

You've not seen the shard have you...

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Not only a class society, but a zone society.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ya, blind in the wine zone leave ya mind blown
When he shine with the nine, hes a Rhinestone Cowboy

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Not only a class society, but a zone society.

I'm zone 4 mate, no one even knows we exist

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Would you prefer to be a zone 1 prole or a zone 5 middle-class.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
inner city life forever

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Answers Me posted:

Is it a good read? Is it nothing new if you've read this kind of thing before? I've heard tons about it and might go pick it up

No idea, I've not read it myself yet. I'd wanted to but didn't fancy paying £30 for it, so I wasw quite pleased to see it discounted today.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

El Scotch posted:

Would you prefer to be a zone 1 prole or a zone 5 middle-class.

There are 6 Greater London zones, then all the home counties not wanting to feel left out got zones 7-9 for the bits around the M25. You can't just think 5, you're disestablishing vast swathes of suburbia.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

You can only go into areas within 2 zones of your home zone anyway, so it's not really a problem. The civil enforcement police crack down on zone runners pretty effectively too, so the British caste system can be maintained.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Speaking of which, the battersea northern line extension that splits off from Kennington was going to be all zone 2. But now TfL are saying zone 1 for the new stations & turn Kennington into a 1-2 split like notting hill.
Basically so the expensive luxury new developments there have the appeal of the zone 1 label. Billionaires are so shallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

Well they're getting rid of all the agency teams working at the Plymouth MDEC in a week's time - all of them, even the people who've been working there for three years, because of 'a change in the MDEC and low workload' two days after having a team briefing cancelled because they were too busy - so I'll be unemployed again! Hooray! I'm sure the privatisation of Royal Mail had nothing to do with this, nothing at all. I'm sure looking forward to them mass-hiring temps again after waiting long enough that they can legally get away with paying us minimum wage once more! Definitely not bitter!

drat. :( I grew up in Plymouth but haven't been back for a while. (As I've been sucked into London as the only place I can practise my profession, go figure!) How're things?

• Locked thread