Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluo
May 25, 2007

Crane Fist posted:

It will be once we otherthrow the CAMRA

Well it's a lager, which is bottom fermenting yeast so it can never be ale (lager is German for storage because you store it from 30days to many many months at around 3c/38f after primary ferment [which you ferment at lower temp then ale yeast in primary aswell, depending on the lager strain tends to range from 7c - 13c). It has to be top fermenting yeast to be ale. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We should just define the whole UK by how far it is from London, it's the most important part of your location anyway, especially when they finally get round to moving literally every job there. I'm currently living in Zone 105, or as it used to be called, Edinburgh.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Angepain posted:

We should just define the whole UK by how far it is from London, it's the most important part of your location anyway, especially when they finally get round to moving literally every job there. I'm currently living in Zone 105, or as it used to be called, Edinburgh.

Well, you should be glad that with HS5 your commute is merely an hour and a half. :v:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Munin posted:

Well, you should be glad that with HS5 your commute is merely an hour and a half. :v:

"Fully operational by 2011!" - City of Edinburgh Council

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Convexed posted:

drat. :( I grew up in Plymouth but haven't been back for a while. (As I've been sucked into London as the only place I can practise my profession, go figure!) How're things?

Still as grey and moderately awful as ever, fortunately the lesser evil of Labour kept control of the council here, but I haven't looked at the job situation in a while since this one had been great for my joints and skills.

JFK's closed a while back, if you remember there. The best sweaty beermold-coated hole in town!

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Illuyankas posted:

Still as grey and moderately awful as ever, fortunately the lesser evil of Labour kept control of the council here, but I haven't looked at the job situation in a while since this one had been great for my joints and skills.

JFK's closed a while back, if you remember there. The best sweaty beermold-coated hole in town!

Just for kids? Yep! I actually remember it as c103. Ah Plymouth... With your clubs that smell of pasties.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.

In the village I live in Lincolnshire £800 a month would get you a 5 bedroomed house... detached!

Also, its Lincolnshire, absolutely beautiful.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 30, 2014

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Angepain posted:

The problem there is that the further you get from london the more is enclosed within each zone, so while your 'Zone 105' might have been edinburgh, it could also have been Glasgow, which is only about 5 miles further from london.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Convexed posted:

Just for kids? Yep! I actually remember it as c103. Ah Plymouth... With your clubs that smell of pasties.
Yeah, RIP. It hadn't been JFK's for years when I was going there but that's what we always called it. So much misspent youth at that place.

I haven't been down to Plymouth in a fair while but when I was last there nothing had changed except that even more shops had migrated up towards the mall and Frankfurt Gate was deader than ever. Half of Union Street seems to have shut down too.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Everything's creeping up to Drake's Circus alright. Although the owner of Dance Academy managed to get a whole bunch of racists angry a while back by offering to give the place to a charity so they could make it a mosque, which was hilarious.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Dance Academy is a lovely building, it's a shame to see it falling apart. I was in JFK's the night it got raided and shut down, came outside and there were police everywhere and they seemed to be fighting and/or arresting half the population of Plymouth. As I recall I dragged my mate away from a punchup and we went to the Dragon Inn for sweet & sour chicken balls, happy days. When I visit now we go out exclusively on North Hill or the Barbican.

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

In the village I live in Lincolnshire £800 a month would get you a 5 bedroomed house... detached!

Also, its Lincolnshire, absolutely beautiful.

Where abouts in lincs? (if you don't mind me asking)

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Courtesy of the telegraph, a guide to retiring in comfort in your mid-40s: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...four-years.html

quote:

Cathy Colston quit a senior role at Boots, where she was in charge of the group’s pharmacies, with the aim of replacing her large income through property investment.
That was in 2010, when she was in her mid-40s with two teenage sons. Now she owns around a dozen properties, let on average to six sharers, which she claimed was the highest-yielding form of buy-to-let, although “not the easiest”.

Chasing the highest possible returns led her to HMOs – houses in multiple occupation. “HMOs are more complex and involve more input and time,” she said. “I don’t think they are for part-time buy-to-let investors or beginners. But they do offer the best returns. Younger people are looking for quality accommodation, and it’s in short supply. These people are happy to share with their peers, but the property has to be right.”

Now she is ultra-selective about the properties she buys. “I generally buy large, family homes and then convert them into six-bedroom properties with an average of four bathrooms.” These could be either Victorian terraces and semis or Thirties properties. She typically spends 10pc of the purchase price converting or updating the properties, and borrows about 75pc of their value. “Whatever I do by way of conversion, I ensure the properties could still be restored to single-family use,” she said. “That way I’m not limiting their future value.”

So there you go: all you have to do is destroy family housing and ruin a few residential areas by cramming six adults into homes designed for 2 and a couple of kids!

Meanwhile, the total value of Britain's pension funds is £1.6 trn. Total value of BTL holdings: £1.25trn and rising: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/buy-to-let/10864340/1250bn-and-rising-how-buy-to-let-isovertaking-pensions.html

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Borrowing 75% of their value and spending 10% on renovation.

Something tells me this woman is mortgaged to the loving hilt and it will go spectacularly tits up come the next financial crisis. I dont care so much for her and her stupidity, but those poor buggers shes got as tenants who will be evicted as she has to flog the properties off.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

LemonDrizzle posted:

Courtesy of the telegraph, a guide to retiring in comfort in your mid-40s: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...four-years.html

So there you go: all you have to do is destroy family housing and ruin a few residential areas by cramming six adults into homes designed for 2 and a couple of kids!

This is a good way to structure a society. This is the best way we have of organising resources. This is the culmination of centuries of progress and innovation. :smith:

e: hey there phoneposting

mrpwase fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 31, 2014

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
you try standing up and yelling "I think the government should buy and demolish Victorian properties in central London"

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ronya posted:

you try standing up and yelling "I think the government should buy and demolish Victorian properties in central London"

Well, the landlady in the article says she's avoiding London because the yields there are too low - her holdings are in Bristol, Bath, and Cardiff. The effects of overloading houses are arguably less bad in London than elsewhere because London at least has reasonable mass transit options that make it viable to do without a car.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I quite liked when my landlord a few years ago had his mortgage house of cards come falling down because we lived rent free for about six months and kicked in the upstairs door and had my mate squat in unoccupied flat above.

Also victorian houses for families can comfortably have six adults because they were designed to have servants living in them innit!

I recently lived in a house in bristol where there were 8 flats and the landlady had owned the place for about 30 years and the rent was cheap and I liked being in the centre of town. Not all landlords are scum.

The house market in bristol is a bit loving nuts at the moment though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

What's happening? There was a surge in cost in 2011 when I was looking to get the gently caress out of Warmley but I ended up just moving in with my partner. Not had to look for rents since.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Zero Gravitas posted:

Borrowing 75% of their value and spending 10% on renovation.

Something tells me this woman is mortgaged to the loving hilt and it will go spectacularly tits up come the next financial crisis. I dont care so much for her and her stupidity, but those poor buggers shes got as tenants who will be evicted as she has to flog the properties off.

Even if she had full equity, it's better to mortgage BTL because of tax breaks, or something.

It's loving outrageous.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

JFairfax posted:

This is true. However, I think I've managed to score a room in a place in Montpelier for not insane prices, so that's cool.

Also, moving to Bristol in September. Hell yes.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Barry Foster posted:

This is true. However, I think I've managed to score a room in a place in Montpelier for not insane prices, so that's cool.

Also, moving to Bristol in September. Hell yes.

Montpelier is awesome, full of annoying knit your own yoghurt types but also got loads of good pubs

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

tentish klown posted:

Not really, they're just a vague measure of distance to the center of London. Saying zone 1, 2, 3, etc is a much more efficient shorthand than 'it's like 20 miles outside London and takes about an hour to get there'

In Cardiff we used to have colour zones that were assigned to parts of the city as a price scale for bus travel. So going from one colour zone to another would cost more than travel in the same colour zone.

Then they got rid of that and it's now just a flat price.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The rental market is reasonably stable but to buy is tricky, my business partner sold his million pound home in eight days.

Friends of mine were finding that houses in the 160 - 200k bracket were routinely going for 10 - 15k over the asking price this year.

Bristol is for sure the best place to live in the country if you like city life.

If you are in Montpellier you are near some of the best pubs and clubs in town.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Unfortunately 150-300k bracket (I know this is an enormous 'bracket' but it's basically 'first time flats-houses') is insanely competitive still. Got a couple of uni mates who work part time at estate agents for cash, they're excellent at making me thoroughly depressed about my upcoming hunt for a flat to buy in East London. Still, it's cheaper than renting whatever way you look at it.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

JFairfax posted:

The rental market is reasonably stable but to buy is tricky, my business partner sold his million pound home in eight days.

Friends of mine were finding that houses in the 160 - 200k bracket were routinely going for 10 - 15k over the asking price this year.

Bristol is for sure the best place to live in the country if you like city life.

If you are in Montpellier you are near some of the best pubs and clubs in town.

I think we got colossally lucky - we got our 2 bed city centre flat for £160k and it had been stuck on the market for a couple of years. Needed a bit done to it but not much beyond decorating.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

what chrome extension are you guys using to watch us netflix? Media hunt is wanting me to sign up and some poo poo... gently caress that

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Hola's always worked well for me.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

hola unblocker https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/hola-better-internet/gkojfkhlekighikafcpjkiklfbnlmeio?hl=en

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007
Quick question for anyone versed in 2000AD, which are the best stories/arcs to pick up? I've mostly been confined to American or Japanese comics and don't have much basis aside from a 100 page pamphlet from 1999 I just read.

Also: anyone know any good books on the British gaming industry? Another topic I'm not versed in (can't even get out of my house in "Hampstead").

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Igiari posted:

Quick question for anyone versed in 2000AD, which are the best stories/arcs to pick up? I've mostly been confined to American or Japanese comics and don't have much basis aside from a 100 page pamphlet from 1999 I just read.

Also: anyone know any good books on the British gaming industry? Another topic I'm not versed in (can't even get out of my house in "Hampstead").

This article may help you somewhat.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Igiari posted:

Nikolai Dante (completely collected in 11 volumes, vol 1 stands alone)
Slaine (start at volume 1)
Judge Dredd Case Files (start at volume 3 or 5, backfill from there)
Rogue Trooper (classic series, vols 1 and 2 only unless you're a real completist)
Button Man (vol 1 only, the others have severely diminishing returns)

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

OK people what is next months title?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

notaspy posted:

OK people what is next months title?

UKMT June: After a Night of Wrong Votes

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Spangly A posted:

haha, works but not in the way you intended.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
With the world cup on, how could it be anything other than ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND ?

Acceptable alternative: It's coming home

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Spangly A posted:

UKIP June: campaign for real dales

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

notaspy posted:

haha, works but not in the way you intended.

I couldn't come up with any better nazi jokes :(

LemonDrizzle posted:

With the world cup on, how could it be anything other than ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND, ING-ER-LAND ?

I'm expecting some big steaming turds from policy central while everyone is distracted, so go for this if you fancy being able to :smuggo: about good predictive powers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LemonDrizzle posted:

Is it :can: or :thejoke:, I can't tell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
80's Judge Dredd is about as good as it loving gets. Brillantly drawn, hilarious black comedy in every issue. Thatcher was obviously good for something!

• Locked thread