Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

big scary monsters posted:

Airports are weird. I don't think all that many people have a couple of beers with their croissant at half five in the morning even in Glasgow, but in the airport lounge today it seems to be the standard breakfast.

Could it be that the EU is to blame??

I remember being served a beer on a train in Wales at ~5:30am. It was bad beer, but still. Anything to make that 3 hour journey seem shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DesperateDan posted:

poor ukip, if only people could stop exposing their councillors/prospective elected ministers when they said racist/homophobic/ablist/xenophobic poo poo!

Apparently, the candidate who was ditched for making those comments about Lenny Henry is - in addition to being racist - a misogynist and all-round 'vile person' according to someone who's had the misfortune of knowing him a while.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

SybilVimes posted:

Don't most surgeries have 'Open Surgery' at some point? Ours does, but the problem is it means sitting there for 2-3 hours

When I worked in a GP practice, one guy came in (with what seemed like a cold) and after waiting ~45 minutes, got his phone and started loudly asking Directory Enquiries for the details of some private GPs and then explaining why.
I found the whole thing so amusing I let him keep it up for 10 minutes before I told him to hang up or go outside.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

DroneRiff posted:

Sadly GP leadership has (to my understanding) failed the profession a lot in recent years, hence things like this. GPs don't really want it and as you say, a sort of show to fore the government's hand just isn't going to work. But it's very much in the interest of those who want to privitise even more of the NHS.

My experience of primary care suggests that the sort of GPs who want to be in charge of things are the sorts of GPs most sane people wouldn't want in charge of things.
They're the kind who spend more time working out how to maximise their income than thinking of how they can benefit their patients.

Obviously exceptions exist, but I'd guess that more than half of the CCGs are run by total shithead GPs.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pasco posted:

It is perfectly possible that people who would never vote for the Tories / Lib Dems / UKIP / whoever in national elections would then vote for them in these EU elections.

There was a letter in the Evening Standard yesterday from some idiot who's doing exactly that. A protest vote.
Voting UKIP to teach politicians a lesson is from the same school of thought as 'punching your children to stop them being naughty'.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
On the multiculturalism thing, sometimes if I'm on a bus or Tube, I'll pick a conversation I can't understand and try to work out what language they're speaking.
And the language learning thing is fun. Most kids are really good at learning a language if they're in school 5 days a week. gently caress the Campaign for Real Education, though. 'Ooh, won't someone think of the poor white people?' :fuckoff: The fact that their spokesman resorted to "long-term implications", without saying anything specific, should tell you all you need to know about how much bullshit he's spewing.

As for Michael Gove... :shepicide:
gently caress it, I'll write to my MP this weekend about it.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If I was the IPCC, I'd ratchet things up by suggesting that any officer who 'No Comment's their way through an interview should be suspended on reduced pay until such a time as they decide to co-operate.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ddraig posted:

TBH I've seen more police patrolling around Cardiff City Centre on any given Friday night/Saturday morning. Double so if there's some sort of sporting thing.

I once saw three police vehicles and a couple of dozen police officers outside a noodle bar on Mile End Road.
Won't someone think of the noodle bars?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Is there a reason other people haven't put A Sloth on Ignore yet?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ronya posted:

Britain isn't a place that runs five year plans or - heaven forbid - twenty or thirty year plans over projected population growth and residency patterns, which are obviously necessary for sane rail planning to begin with. So that's off the table. He can complain about short-termism but frankly that's all that Britain's contemporary politics can handle, so short-termism it is.

Except, as he points out, Network Rail receive their funding in 5-year chunks based on what the perceived areas for development in those five years will be.
If short-termism is unacceptable, it's only unacceptable to politicians - the public moan about the Tube having weekly maintenance, but once you point out the alternative is having a line completely out of service for a couple of weeks at a time, they shut up. Make the case, back it up; there's no more to it than that.

In the last couple of months, we've heard about this new Garden City that'll be built somewhere near London. That's not short-termism, that's the Government identifying a problem based on "projected population growth and residency patterns" (as you put it) and developing a strategy to deal with it. Obviously, in this case it's pissing in the wind, but that's this Coalition's speciality and doesn't nullify the fact that long-term planning does take place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Betjeman posted:

£800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria.

You do realise that £800 per month isn't cheap, right? I'm in an entry-level position in the NHS and that would be 60% of my take-home salary gone straight away. Then there's the monthly season ticket, which is £140 on top.
So then I'm left with 32% of my take-home salary to pay for those little luxuries in life like food, water, electricity and gas.

• Locked thread