Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Umiapik posted:

The Tories need to do their sums: there's far more voting renters than there are voting landlords.
Renters are young and tend not to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Barry Foster posted:

Airports are magical, liminal areas that exist outside of local time and space, in which stuff like 'drinking at half five in the morning' is perfectly normal. That's why they're fun places to be.
It really depends. On business trips I think of airports like this on the way out. Then on the way back, when I'm jet lagged and have just spent a few days in a conference centre where I was also jet lagged, sleeping in a weird hotel room, eating weird hotel food and wrestling with poorly-understood local social norms, airports seem like some of the bleakest places in any developed country and I can't wait to get out, heh.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Spangly A posted:

"A British court somehow found someone not guilty of Libel for once, but now that they're not in a position to respond because of extraneous legal matters I will make defamatory remarks and insinuate their guilt out of spite"

We all already knew he needed a good solid brick to the face but what a loving wanker.
That article does suggest the whole thing was a clusterfuck of rarely-seen proportions, though. Is it even legal for a judge to preside over a case when she's friends with the participants?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

As I remember it, yes, it's perfectly legal, a judge can recuse him/herself if they feel they have a conflict of interest, and either side could file an appeal based on their feeling that there was a conflict of interest, it would then be up to another judge to decide if there was, or was not, and whether that is sufficient to consider the judge's verdict compromised. But there's no inherent illegality of any bias by the judge.
That's interesting. Feels like a much more lax standard than you'd get in many other professional occupations, though I don't know that for sure.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The Donut posted:

So...when does the revolution start?
Never. It will be a shoddily-made G4S boot, outsourced to stamp on a human face forever (although after a few weeks they'll stop bothering to do the actual stamping and will just claim they are in the statistics they submit to the government, since they'll get paid either way).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The NHS is one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the world, so pretty much everywhere else with comparable standards of healthcare will spend more money on it than we do.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

CountButtula posted:

My dad frequently assures me that I'm lazy and don't work as hard as him. I've had 25 jobs in my life; he's had 3. Indeed, we are the lazy generation.
We'll know that civilisation is on the right path when every generation works 15% longer than its parents did. Once we need to work 80 hours a week to afford some mouldy bread and the rent on a corner of a room in some Neo-Victorian cyberpunk rookery, that will truly be the promised land.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

lol at his £350,000 mortgage for a family home in Farnham. That would buy you a two-bed flat somewhere in Zone 2 if you took it out these days. How are his kids gonna manage when they need to find half a million quid for their first flat?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

HortonNash posted:

I thought it was very reminiscent of "The Now Show".

petrol blue posted:

It's like they've had comedy described to them, but don't actually know what it is.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The electoral roll is open to anyone to look at.

https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

quote:

Who can use your details?

The electoral register comes in 2 versions:

the ‘full register’ - used only for elections, preventing and detecting crime, and checking applications for loans or credit
the ‘edited register’ - available for general sale and can be used by anyone for any purpose

Your name and address will automatically appear on the full register. You can choose to appear on the edited register when you register to vote.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

I've got no kids like, but the little theoretical bastards will be going to state school like Daddy, not posho schools, even if they did exist.
Kids will destroy your finances until they go to school, at which point they will merely decimate them, even if you send them to a state school. Full-time childcare where I live comes in at around £11-12k a year per child and you have to pay that from your after-tax salary. So if you were willing to sleep rough, drink from rivers and genetically modify yourself so that you could photosynthesise and therefore didn't need to buy food, your salary would need to be on the order of £13,500 before it's even mathematically worth your while to work full-time.

My partner and I actually ran the numbers when we had kids, and once you add on things like food, rent, utility bills, transport to work, a bit of money to do things like replace your clothes when they wear out or pay someone to fix your boiler when it breaks and you can push that number up to £25,000+ quite easily (reminder: the median UK salary is £26,000).

It gets a little better once the kids reach 5. State schools will look after them from 9-3 every day, but again, if your'e working, you'll need to stump up the money to keep them occupied until 5.30 or 6 or whenever you can get back to pick them up, and all after-school clubs cost money as well.

I can easily see the vast bulk of a £30,000 salary disappearing if you live somewhere where rents are high and living near to work is impossible, like the South East. Particularly if you lack family or friends who can do child-minding off the books.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 8, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Seaside Loafer posted:

For what purpose? just loving ad traffic is that what you are saying?
Pretty much. Newspapers make money through subscriptions or through advertising. Advertising on the web pays next to nothing, so it becomes a pure numbers game where you need to get as many eyeballs as possible to read your stuff at £15 per thousand views (ie 1.5p per reader) or whatever the rate they're getting is.

Sites like Buzzfeed are entirely open about this. Their headlines ("17 Ambiguously Gay Cartoon Characters from the 1980s") are specifically designed to be as clickbaity as possible, and their articles are designed to be read quickly so that you can move on to the next intriguing headline - a selection of which are conveniently presented to you at the bottom of the piece. If they have any sense they're doing what Amazon and Netflix do as well and tracking what you read so they can learn about your individual preferences, then serve you up more articles based on that.

Traditional newspapers face exactly the same commercial pressures. A few (the Times, the FT) are trying to make a mostly-subscription model profitable but if you decide not to pursue that strategy then chasing eyeballs by the million is your only other option.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

PFI was a way of squaring that circle - not an economically efficient way by any means, but just about the only one that was politically viable at the time.
I think you're underselling the problems of PFI, a lot of which arise from the fact that you have to manage the projects with a contract rather than through a traditional management structure. That requires you to specify everything through the contract. That's impossible, but trying leads to a bunch of absurdities. The canonical example is the two Tube PPPs being required to specify what counted as "litter" (in pursuit of improving the 'ambience' of the stations, one of the three things the private companies were meant to do). The definition they agreed on meant that a discarded paper ticket would be regarded as litter but one that had been ripped into quarters and then thrown away would not.

They spent something like £400m just writing the contracts. And once they were written, they couldn't be changed except in pre-specified seven-yearly intervals. Those would (preusmably) have been another expensive festival of lawyerly hair-splitting, and if you got anything wrong you'd be stuck with it for the next seven years. That was never tested, though, since both contracts collapsed before any renegotiations could be completed*.

It's also the reason why you hear about hospitals that signed up to 500 meals a day then found out they only needed 400 and have been left unable to change it, etc ad almost infinitum.

*There were plenty of other problems with the tube contracts, not limited to the fact that both Metronet and Tube Lines were guaranteed a rate of return, which flies completely in the face of the point of contracting-out in the first place, which is that the contractor is supposed to bear the risk. Then it turned out that 95% of their bank loans were underwritten by the taxpayer too, so when it all went tits up taxpayers had to pay once again.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

HortonNash posted:

Actual blackshirts in support of UKIP, how's Nige going to spin this one?

Blackshirts, in 2014.

I do hope Nigel's planning some election campaigning on Cable Street.
This almost feels like some kind of SWP false-flag thing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

KayTee posted:

What happened in between has effectively finished Nigel Farage’s political career.
They said this about him not standing in the by-election too. I doubt they'll be proved right this time either.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

IIRC spotify have 'lost' their entire user database twice to hackers, still refuse to encrypt passwords, and yet are still in business :shrug:
Tell me they at least hash your credit card details?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

SybilVimes posted:

They claim PCI compliance, but there are ways of being PCI compliant without encrypting the card data. AFAIK they've stated that the breaches did NOT compromise the CC data, I'm not sure I believe them.
*goes off to unregister his card*

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

LemonDrizzle posted:

Housechat? Housechat.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...-mortgages.html

Earn less than £200k/year? Congratulations on being less productive and valuable than an inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar, slacker. If you're on less than £80k, you're not even as productive as a provincial inanimate assembly of bricks and mortar.
Yay shelter is even less affordable than before. This means we're all rich :toot:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bozza posted:

I like Andrews and Arnold's philosophy but Plusnet are a shitload cheaper if you want fiber to cabinet and unlimited down/up.
I loving dream of fibre to the cabinet. I'm stuck on a long-range wireless ISP that gives me 30 megabits down and a 60 gig/month usage allowance. I have literally no alternative :(

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Remember all that "Farage's career is over" stuff?

Yeah

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/labour-tory-poll-ratings-farage-attacks

quote:

Labour and Conservative polling is showing that attacks claiming Nigel Farage is a racist have backfired since voters do not regard him as such and see the assaults as a sign members of the political establishment are ganging up to undermine him.
The punditry are 0-2 in calling the death of his career now and I eagerly await their hat-trick.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Ddraig posted:

I'm stuck using Three mobile Internet at the moment as it's the only thing I can get. They're getting increasingly lovely, though.

£15 a month on PAYG isn't too bad for unlimited data, provided you don't do anything like actually use it in which case you yet stuck with dial up speeds from 3pm to midnight.
I can only get a mobile signal at home on cloudy days, and even then it's a single bar of EDGE. I live in Surrey.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 21, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Answers Me posted:

Which was the first time?
When he decided not to stand in the Newark by-election and everyone said he was scared of losing and that this finally exposed him as a fraud. It made absolutely no difference to his polling.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

The thing is, Farage is right about one thing - the other parties absolutely are cooperating to attack him. The problem is that, like some kind of video-game villain, doing that only makes him stronger by reinforcing his whole "crusading outsider" thing.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jedit posted:

You want the media to be wrong about Farage's career ending?
I want them to actually understand why UKIP is as popular as it is because otherwise it's just going to keep getting more popular*. A bad interview on a radio station that a few tens of thousands of people listen to is not going to finish Farage's career and it's amazing that people paid to comment on politics in this country can think it would.

*At least for a while. I think it'll crash and burn eventually.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 21, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I will never get fibre because I don't live in a village. When the quasi-hobbyist who runs my ramshackle WISP croaks it I will literally be without internet at home.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

uuuugghhh I wish the greens weren't so anti-nuclear and cherry-pickingly weird on science.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

keep punching joe posted:

You can always join them and influence the party direction, they are very democratic.
I wonder - being anti-nuclear and anti-GMO feels pretty totemic to the Greens I've spoken to. Ditching the anti-nuclear thing feels like it would be their equivalent of ditching Clause 4.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Bobstar posted:

Down here somebody managed to top An Independence from Europe by starting their party with a 4.

Countdown to the "1 H4T3 F0RR3I6N5" party.
Political parties: the new taxi companies.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Extreme0 posted:

"2BR1TISH4U"
0TOLERANCE4EU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Cerv posted:

:eng101: hs2 is proposed to go to newcastle, glasgow & edinburgh
You could spend a hundredth of the money for ten times the benefit with a universal service obligation for broadband, though :/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Alecto posted:

51st, in fact, by my reckon.
The only thing is, that ranking will go up if you look at, say, England specifically, or London specifically. The UK contains big tracts of barely-popultaed territory like mid-Wales and the Highlands and Islands. Thing is, no-one wants to live there. And most people think more locally than "nation state" when worrying about things like how high the rent is.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

At least someone would finally step up and just tell Farage to get hosed.
Which would probably give Farage another percentage point in the polls.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ronya posted:

now he's a "consummate politician" rather than a racist outsider
I think at this point it's just being wilfully bizarre to deny that he's a talented politician, given that he's just achieved something that no other politician has achieved for more than a hundred years. It's not like that's incompatible with him holding very unpleasant views.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

quote:

Meanwhile, research showed that central London property prices have risen by £729 a day over the last year.
A friend of mine bought a house with subsidence in London a few weeks ago. When the survey came back showing it was subsiding they almost got cold feet. Then they realised that, in the time it would take them to find a new place, average prices would have risen by more than the (substantial) cost of getting the subsidence treated. So they went ahead and bought it anyway.

quote:

We cheerled the rise of property prices not realising that it would destroy, if not our own lives, but the lives of our children.
No, this has been really loving obvious since the late 1990s to anyone with the capacity to think more than five years ahead, and to realise that if house prices carry on rising faster than wages then eventually Bad Things will happen.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I actually think the politics of house prices are going to get quite interesting in the next ten to twenty years. The only way most young people can afford to buy is with a big dollop of cash from their parents, and the only way most parents can afford to provide that dollop is to sell their existing home, which has appreciated in value enormously.

That's fine if you have one child, but it works less and less well the more kids you have. If you have two children then you have to split your house three ways, effectively (cos you need somewhere to live too, remember). Some people I know in their early 50s, who have (on paper) done very well out of rising prices in London and the South East, are just now beginning to realise what a massive problem this is now that their own kids are entering the workforce and finding that they're paying £800 a month to rent a windowless closet twenty minutes from a Tube stop somewhere in Zone 5.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 30, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.
Absolutely, but these are people making very high salaries and who assumed the appreciation of property would let them pass on the benefits to their kids.

Also, 25 or 30 years ago, you COULD afford to rent a decent place in London straight out of university. That did a lot to help turn the city's declining population around in the 1980s.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Betjeman posted:

There's a shitload of entitlement that thinks young people should be able to afford a decent place in a decent part of London straight out of college. There are still loads of affordable areas in zone 5. £800 a month gets you a one bed flat near East Croydon which is only 20 minutes to Victoria. £450 a month gets you a room in a houseshare in zone 3 Tooting, 30 minutes on the Northern line.
There's another problem, of course, which is London's general dominance of the UK. There are many industries where if you have any ambition to succeed London is the only place you can go. It's all very well when people say that house prices in Cumbria have barely moved and that £60,000 will buy you a perfectly decent two-bed terraced house. The problem is no-one wants to live in Cumbria because there's nothing to do.

I don't know whether it's easier to fix London's housing crisis or fix the UK's city-state-itis, but there's no political will to do either.

edit2: America is an interesting contrast, as a country with more than a dozen legitimately big cities. I assume they must all provide something of a safety valve for each other.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 30, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Umiapik posted:

Articles on this very subject are now regularly appearing in the Telegraph, where posh journalists have switched from gloating over their house price gains to indignantly complaining that neither they nor their children can afford to live in London any more. Here's a good example:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture/harrymount/100075127/house-prices-will-destroy-the-british-class-system/

(Note also the usual rather amusing Telegraph ideas about what "middle-class" actually means...)
I actually quite like this article, because it's completely upfront and honest about the fact that the Establishment is hereditary and your school (and father's school) is one of the biggest determinant of your life chances.

It's refreshing to see the poshos freely admitting how things work and not hiding behind big inky clouds of bullshit.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 30, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Munin posted:

Yeah, but it is also a much bigger country and arguably only 2 or 3 really are London like and the rest more Manchester.
Sure, I just mean it's perhaps as advantage of living in a big country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

goddamnedtwisto posted:

£800 a month is an absolute fuckload of money (almost 50% of take-home pay for someone on the London median wage, plus you have to add on £200 for your zone 1-5 travelcard). It speaks volumes that you think spending way over half your wages just on rent and travel is reasonable.

For context 20 years ago £100 a week (which is close enough to £800 a month in today's money), would have got you a one-bed flat on the Isle of Dogs or a 2-bed house with garden out in Plaistow.

Housing prices are insane, and saying "well it's very slightly less insane in this particular area" is ridiculous.
There's also the point that a lot of these are temporary solutions. A houseshare is fine when you're 25 and single; it's harder to make it work when you're 33 and married with a kid. For most of the last two decades house prices have been rising faster than wages, so every year you spend in the houseshare is making the house you can eventually afford to buy smaller and smaller, which makes it less and less compatible with basic human functions like reproduction.

edit: also by the time you have a kid you'll need to find £12,000 a year after tax to put it in childcare so that you and your partner can both work to pay your colossal, barely-affordable rent / mortgage.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 30, 2014

• Locked thread