Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I'm leaving my job today and a nice lady in the office next door whose name I don't know bought me a Penguin book, The Case for Communism, because we once had a long conversation about politics in the kitchen over lunch.

That's nice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can the parole board take public comments into account?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

TACD posted:

In addition to this, their own legal page happily points out that if you register as a communications provider (nothing more than a setting you can change on your account page) they are then free to ignore any copyright infringement notices about you that get sent to them.

I like my ISP :)

Do they do Unmetered access at all?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Kin posted:

Basically, if you can get access to it, i'd say get the XL Virgin package (unless i'm missing something horrible about Virgin).

We left Virgin specifically because of cost (getting on for 50 quid a month) and the fact that we have other ways of watching our favourite shows legally, plus we had channels we didn't want anymore. They couldn't do us a nice deal despite having many years of unbroken service so now we're going Freeview/Netflix/iPlayer. Plus NHL streaming for ice hockey :)

Gone for BT for DSL just because the reconnection is free. After the minimum contract length we'll go with somebody else.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 21, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Nevett posted:

Virgin Media are the only game in town if you want fast Internet that actually achieves what they advertise, and don't require a phone line, which might save people money.

Don't get me wrong I'm very, very sad to be losing their ridiculously fast connection. But couldn't justify the cost involved at all. Maybe in the future when I'm a little better off (took a paycut to move to Edinburgh from Preston because Preston is shite) we may go back. Then hopefully we can take advantage of a new customer deal or something.

We did try and get a decent deal but when we told them what we wanted everybody was all "nah you're paying a really good amount there" - the only thing we could do was to restart as a new customer but that had minimum contract length implications and we weren't sure if we wanted to commit to that.

Whatever, it's all cool now. 15MB down is fine.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Cancelbot posted:

Labour Local / Pirate EU

I like living dangerously, plus its Wigan so its basically going to be labour until the heat death of the universe.

I know the NW England Pirate candidate. Lovely bloke but I can't vote for them because they are SO libertarian.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jedit posted:

By which you mean "stop reiterating the bullshit I heard from some bloke down the pub without bothering to check if it was even vaguely true".

To be fair, as poo poo as he is for doing this, it once again highlights the point that was brought up in Flat Earth News about our lovely media. They haven't got time to fact check things, or the resources, or in the worst cases actively don't check for ideological reasons.

And then that poo poo gets passed on down the pub to people like Myrddin_Emrys and they believe it.

Everything is all linked, all of the time. One input can have lots of outputs further down the line.

Edit: Is it possible to be pro-political correctness and be pro-free speech and think that nothing should be exempt from being made fun of equally? Is there some half way house?

Because Steve Hughes is well funny.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 23, 2014

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Haha, the bitterness and anger in this thread is sublime.

Surely it's ok to be angry about viewpoints and ideologies sweeping the nation based on outright, provable lies and FUD (ie, bad statistics etc)

If it's not then something is loving broken.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Can somebody please explain left-wing anti-EU parties to me? What is their beef and what platform are they campaigning on? I presume not an immigration one so I assume it's down to principles of democracy and economics etc.

A friend asked me today and I had absolutely no idea.

Also everybody is loving stupid, burn everything to the ground, etc. :smith:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Thanks everyone. I was just trying to decide what the difference was between right and left anti-EU parties. What are the specific issues they differ on, etc?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Gove has written an article explaining the book thing:

http://t.co/P39RPx1UcP

Not true, apparently.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I know, it's ridiculous isn't it

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I love UKIP! They are at least honest about their policies!

A man on Facebook to me yesterday. I loving despair.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Even better, ask him to explain why they were employing Bulgarians to hand out leaflets for the expressly stated reason that they were cheaper than British workers, when their core message has consistently been about putting British workers over immigrants.

While I love a good UKIP bash, I'm also a skeptic that likes the truth. Was this not because they were using an agency, and the agency employed the Bulgarians, or did UKIP themselves directly employ them?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

And re above somebody pointing out that their economic policy is very left-leaning, it was being pointed out before the election that if you look at what most UKIP voters actually want, they are more aligned with the Greens than anybody else. So clearly it was the racism that swung them to vote UKIP :)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Literally can't remember if I or anybody else posted this here, but did anybody see the interview with the original UKIP founder?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/26/ukip-founder-alan-sked-party-become-frankensteins-monster

Very interesting comments in there and some stories about what Farage was like some years back. If it's true, of course...

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Car Stranger posted:

Would that alignment include the EU and immigration? I'd be very interested in seeing those polls/that analysis if anyone has a link.

Well I count "racism" to include the anti-immigration stuff - the Greens are ok with it, I thought?

On the EU I'm not so sure.

This was from that Another Angry Voice Facebook account, not entirely sure how accurate he is with his sources though. Did anybody else see it?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

TinTower posted:

This is more of a question for the trainchat thread, but what would be the best way to renationalise the railways? Giving them to back to DOR once the franchises run out?

Don't forget there's Network Rail too, although I think that's 51% owned by the govt. already so they'd just have to buy the rest out.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

haakman posted:

Casts 'Summon Bozza'...

Bozza appears, wielding a +2 level crossings post.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

BBC News has a little feature: Why I voted UKIP

Some of the responses are hilarious

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27584237

Some idiot posted:

But with Farage, he seems to be an ordinary geezer that you can have a conversation with in the pub, and have a good debate.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Oakeshott has gone

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pilchenstein posted:

I really hope this isn't a photoshop.

Grain on the edited bits is the same as the stuff around it. Not impossible to replicate, but looks legit to me.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Huppert is also very good on social media. He asked a question in a select committee that I suggested on twitter once. Which was way cool.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

What the gently caress is with Joey Barton's faux-intellectualism schtick?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Jippa posted:

He copy and pastes quotes on his twitter feed.

Also, reminder that he put a cigar out in some ones eye.

Did he really?

Jesus wept, what an arsehole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Zephro posted:

I was reminded earlier today (while listening to Any Answers; forgive me) that UKIP and the Greens are the only parties with any MEPs that have specifically promised to reverse the privatisation of the NHS. The woman who rang in said that's why she voted for them.

This isn't true, UKIP want to privatise it

• Locked thread