Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

is that Miguel "Surprise Van" Torres?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

the very same, fighting the guy who just beat up Malaipet in Lion Fight

I'm starting to think Glory is doing this on purpose. Book ex-UFC guys to get murdered to show that kickboxing > mma

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

via Dave Walsh:

Good poo poo, way to go

Glory digging into the Power Uti playbook.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Please, as a Maineiac, I need this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LvK posted:

Hey dudes, what would be some good particularly good kickboxing cards to watch? I'm especially interested in old K-1 cards (this has nothing to do with having a source for them, cough cough) (this also has nothing to do with my boner for 1 night/1 week tournaments, ahack, splat), but I'm down with whatever anyone can point me towards.

2010 K-1 grand prix is still exciting to watch even if you've seen it before.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

i dont appreciate your nationalistic descriptors, yuriry.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

RIP Melvin's noggin. Where they trying to work it for Melvin to win?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

hey so if anybody remembers that story about Shemsi Beqiri having to pull out of a fight for Glory earlier this year because of being beaten in his gym by masked men with baseball bats, the story is a bit more complicated

the masked men were with his former trainer, they stormed his gym and held a class hostage, including holding his brother at gunpoint, to force Beqiri to fight his former trainer, and when Beqiri started to win everybody jumped on him, and weirdly enough there's a video of it thanks to Swiss news

http://bazonline.ch/basel/land/Das-erste-Video-des-KickboxKampfes/story/28956140 starts at 7:30, is more mma than kickboxing, and is generally really loving weird to watch

What is going on in Switzerland? First the lady in Parliament posting nude selfies and now this.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Maybe the guys from the US K-1 office that actually did a decent drawing show(and got fired for it) could get some venture capital and do another promotion.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

glad to hear K-1 is dysfunctional as ever.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Oh and by the way, the K-1 MAX Final is on Saturday and the stream is going to be free on https://www.k-1.tv

Buakaw's management are being stupid dicks about absolutely everything because they were supposed to organise the event but didn't actually have the ability to do so. Here's a copy and paste from Dave Walsh

Also Buakaw reported K-1 to the police yesterday because there's a gambling sponsor on their website. It's loving weird and idiotic. Of course, muay thai and gambling simply wouldn't be seen together.

here's the card

Buakaw Banchamek vs. Enriko Kehl
Paul “Semtex” Daley vs. Mohammad Ghaedibardeh
Rungravee Sasiprapa vs. Dennis Puric
Andrei Kubelin vs. Lee Sung Hyun
Maximo Suarez vs. Tural Bayramov
Andre “Dida” Amade vs. Li Yankun
Artem Pashporin vs. Petmongkol Thor. Thesputin
Xei Lei vs. Yoshimoto

Sounds like Yim was dragging his feet to get K-1 caught up in a breach of contract or something.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dangersim posted:

Isn't the reason they don't go hard until the 3rd round because that's when the bets are locked in?

Correct. This is because traditionally, the gamblers have no idea who the fighters are so the first few rounds are to help them decide.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Stop it Pat. Start a patreon, do a podcast. Do something other than die in combat sports.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

huh Mike Tyson will be announcing Glory:
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/16/7556539/iron-mike-tyson-joins-glory-19-broadcast-team

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

good for Tyson making some money but haha what the gently caress are Glory doing?

Bringing in Tyson gets them some press, good or bad. Not a dumb idea. Other than the whole oh god Tyson is talking for an extended period of time thing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'd be shocked if it gets them any press outside of the journalists they're already paying to cover them. I dunno, like in a vacuum I wouldn't think it's a bad thing or a big deal because I love Tyson, but the situation they're in and the dumb poo poo the new CEO says (like saying they were going to try to sign Cowboy...) makes me look at everything they do in a bad light

There's a whole squad of bloggers/tumblrs that hate Tyson(which is how I found out about the article).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

The K-1 Japan 60kg GP was today and it sounds like a loving incredible show

millions of knockouts, a brother vs brother tournament final, and the japanese white guy inexplicably winning the fight he was supposed to lose against Kaew Fairtex (mostly due to a lovely ref, apparently

also this https://vine.co/v/OjpreBD1JJd

Is that on replay anywhere? How to K-1?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Flippy poo poo wins.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Bubba Smith posted:

i was kidding. Well, sort of. Glory has done a good job of presenting kickboxing as a sport rather than something that should come on after Cops or Tattoo Whores or video game awards or whatever junky TV they air on Spike all the time. Viacom probably wouldn't mess with Glory too much but I wouldn't be surprised if they pushed it a little more towards pro wrestling & reality TV, like they did with Bellator.

Did you not see the video packages for the Zimmerman/Verhoeven rematch on the last show? That was straight up pro wrestling match booking.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I think I just watched a guy die on Lionfights.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Snowman_McK posted:

What was the best? I have to know. That was pretty much the first kickboxing fight I watched, I think it may have ruined the sport for me.

nah, you still need to see the glory that is Bob Sapp vs Kimo.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I wonder what the terms were that GLORY was offering.

The one thing I don't see a lot of kickboxers involved in are media promotions or sponsorship type things. Stuff you see MMA/Boxers do that keeps their name out there without actually fighting.

Also its pretty dumb of GLORY not to get ahead of this. Gokhan out there making GBS threads all over your product is not a good look.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dangersim posted:

Zuffa should start promoting kickboxing

not t gonna happen with the blood feud between UFC and Golden Glory

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I don't want a visit from the secret service or anything, but it seems pretty obvious based on Hari's record that this is all a very complicated scheme by Ronaldo to get Trump out of the picture

Seems pretty straight forward: get Badr and Trump in the same room and let the magic happen.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Badr Hari is a mid tier comic book villain.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Log posted:

It's reached the point in which am concerned for us being even this tangentically related to Badr Hari.

I keep wondering why no one's shot Badr Hari yet but then I'm reminded Europe doesn't do guns the way the US does.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm used to horrific mismatches in MMA resulting in funniest possible outcomes so I hope this is no different!

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Djime has dents in his head.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't understand, when did Batter Harry come out?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

right, but i guess my point is why does it matter? the interesting part is that a famous soccer player's significant other beat a bunch of people up and got arrested. throwing in the gay part just makes it seem like they think the gay-ness of their relationship makes it more lascivious than if a straight guy beat a bunch of people up and got arrested.

Badr sucking Renaldo's cock while he was beating up hotel staff(like a snorkel)?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm still surprised some right-wing dutch politico hasn't used Badr Hari was a warning tale against immigration.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Geert Wilders has already said Hari should have his Dutch nationality stripped and be deported to Morocco

ah, Geert Wilders another bad politician with lovely hair. Seems to be a theme.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

just try and tell me you want kata in the olympics and wouldn't rather see one of these fine athletes get a medal. just try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7zsNaj_PN0

my joints hurt watching that.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tbf I'm not sure any gym in Japan can properly train you to fight homeless people.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MrBling posted:

Glory 34 was kinda disappointing compared to 33.

Impressed by Tongchai and not just for being a 20 year old fighter with ~200 fights under his belt.

The main event was pretty good though.

Those Thai boxing records that equate to basically fought every weekend for the last 4 years always concern me. Even if they're worked fights, that still can't be healthy.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

his hands looked a little too slow for my tastes but impressive first showing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hoping that Marc did a fuckton of drugs, decided to swim to UK, succeeded and is currently sleeping it off.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Since it's England it was probably a drinking dispute and not organized crime related.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

his name is BADr. what did you expect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Captain Log posted:

Very cool. That dude wanted the gently caress out of that fight though.

I'd want out after I got my rib organs rattled like that.