Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The trailer makes it look better than Ghosts at least.

*puts a handgun in his mouth*

Also, excuse me Francis Underwood but we did an okay job installing democracy in japan get owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shakugan posted:

Is this legal? Will Netflix/other people who created House of Cards get royalties or payments not to sue? Because this is so clearly Call Of Duty: Frank Underwood. The Call of Duty franchise is worth so much, I can't imagine that the House Of Cards showrunners wouldn't want a slice of the pie (that they undoubtedly deserve; it really does seem like his character from HoC has been imported with little changes).

Yeah, just like the Tolkien estate gets royalties from every fantasy setting with elves.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Shakugan posted:

I really don't think it's quite so simple. They are clearly using "Frank Underwood" to attract gamers, not just Kevin Spacey. A more reasonable question would be to ask if someone made a game with Ian McKellen as a wise wizard, Orlando Bloom as an elf with a bow etc, would the Tolkien estate get royalties. My bet is that yes, they would.

EDIT: I mean, just look at this thread. Look at every news article about this game. Practically all of them mention House of Cards and Frank Underwood. Activision will be profiting based off a character in a tv show they don't own. Lawsuits are surely incoming or a deal was already struck.

An actor being typecast is not a new thing. After Richard Harris (the original Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies) died, McKellen was floated as a potential replacement based off his portrayal of Gandalf. Nobody shouted about this being a clear infringement of LotR's intellectual property because the same guy might play a wizard in two different movies. Alternatively, see Arnold Schwarzenegger, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, or literally any other actor who is frequently cast as a very similar type of character.

Yeah, Spacey was clearly told to channel Underwood, but he's not playing Underwood. He's playing a dude in charge of a super-PMC that's out to conquer the world or whatever. The scenario is entirely different and the background details of the character are likely going to be so different that Netflix wouldn't have any kind of copyright case.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Lazyfire posted:

This game is already worse than Ghosts.

Let's not say things we can't take back.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

I would be completely okay with Infinity Ward becoming the little bitch boy of the CoD studios.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

DStecks posted:

CoD4 and Black Ops were both pretty original settings when those games came out. :shrug:

The only thing that might get me interested in this as a setting is if they absolutely go for broke on the PMC angle and have all the factions in the plot be different mercenary companies. Like, national militaries don't even exist anymore in this world, it's all PMC's. That could be interesting, especially with multiplayer: you could have some mechanic where your profile is a PMC, and your custom classes are different mercs that work for it.

Sounds like war has changed.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Justin Godscock posted:

Mark my words: we will see lasers, forcefields and robots in a Call of Duty game before 2020. Near-future warfare has come and replaced the now stagnant modern warfare FPS genre and it's only going to get more and more absurd and over-the-top as the years go by much like how modern warfare got more dumb.

I can't wait. Call of Duty losing its loving mind is what made this series so much more bearable for me.

I hear people say Blops2 isn't the best CoD and I just don't understand, man. In what other game do you have slow-mo dubstep gunfights in a night club on Libertopia? No other game, man, no other.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mister Macys posted:

Exactly. It's just like Titanfall.

Remind me; How many years did Respawn have to make the game not drop into single digit framerates?

You can't blame Respawn for the Xbone being a horrendous piece of poo poo.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mill Village posted:

TF on Xbone doesn't drop into single-digit framerates.

Weird how the only posts I can find about it dropping into single-digits are from the XB1 version.

Mister Macys posted:

They took the (Portal 2) Source engine and broke it.

My Mac Mini with HD4000 can frigging run Portal 2.
An iPad can run Portal 2.

I bought the original F.E.A.R. in the Summer Sale and have been playing through it recently. Weirdly, despite have PC hardware that was only hypothetical at the time the game was made, I was experiencing severe framerate drops at something as simple as the menu screen. Some light Googling showed that it was a known problem. The solution? Unplugging and then plugging back in my Logitech mouse.

Its almost like the interaction between hardware and software is more complicated than raw horsepower.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

quote:

"Black Ops II" came under scrutiny when it was released because it also includes a character resembling former U.S. Gen. David Petraeus, who had just left his role as CIA director after revelations of his extramarital affair.

Still my second favorite part of the hilarious insanity that is Blops2's campaign.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Mister Macys posted:

As someone who never made it past the first two stages of MW3/BLOPS 1, is out really any good?

You fight Soviet tanks on horseback.

One of the levels has you play as a rage-crazy axe murderer.

There is a slow-mo dubstep gunfight in a nightclub on Libertopia

They got Oliver North to shill for a game where the principle villain is a Nicaraguan who's family was killed by the Contras.

If you prefer the more serious and sober campaign style of Modern Warfare 1, you won't like Blops 2 but if you want to see what its like when a developer straight-up stops taking their game seriously, play Black Ops 2.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I knew irony was dead when they gave Kissinger the Nobel Peace Prize, but here I think they dug it back up and buggered the corpse.

Not CoD-related: Hahahahahahahaghghghg *chokes on own blood*

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Kevin Spacey, please go whole loving ham on this game. I want the scenery chewed into fine paste.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Evil Canadian posted:

Man I haven't played cod since BO1, I look at this game and it actually looks pretty cool for the first time in a long time...

Is this just marketing lying to me or what :smith:

All of the CoDs have looked cool in the trailers. They are games made for trailers.

Except for Ghosts. Ghosts just looked like poo poo from back to front.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I have bought CoD games at full price and then pretty much only played the single-player. Its me, I'm the saddest person in this thread.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Join us in multiplayer we shoot mans and chat about beer while drinking beer and crying ourselves to sleep knowing there won't be extinction for another year

I'm also a PC player.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
If you blend the Dewritos together and post a video you drinking it to YouTube, Sledgehammer will give your next-of-kin all of the unlocks.

• Locked thread