Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If there's one thing this stupid series could use it's to start releasing betas again, but the kids will probably vote for loving Nuketown instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Lazyfire posted:

It's great to see these comments and then see people elsewhere on the internet claim Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the best game in the Battlefield franchise because there wasn't a ton of stuff to unlock. People love having a reason to keep playing beyond getting more kills and calling in Titans that die in five minutes.
It was weird that the guys who were responsible for COD having silly camos and weed emblems decided that unlockables just weren't that important this time around.

Meanwhile, many people who absolutely despise Ghosts are still playing and streaming it on a daily basis. It says a lot that kids refer to playing COD as "the grind," implying that they are doing it for reasons other than the enjoyment of playing a game

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

VJeff posted:

They're bringing back Scorestreaks, this is beautiful. I cannot wait for the 11th.
Really? NICE.

Some version of Blops 2 Combat Training would really seal the deal for me. Squads was weak even before IW messed it up.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

JetpackJeezus posted:

Game will have three different special editions:

Atlas Limited Edition ($80)
- Atlas Gorge (Pipeline Remake) Bonus Map
- Digital Content Pack (Two extra weapons, exoskeleton skin, helmet skin, player card, five "supply drops" [various in-game unlocks], campaign exoskeleton upgrade)
- Soldier Manual (Concept art book, soundtrack, steel case)
I might get this one. Map packs have pretty much been a waste of money for me so I won't bother any more even if this game turns out awesome, but I'm a sucker for camos and silly hats.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Javes posted:

So there's a rumor going around that during Gamescom they'll announce a beta as a pre-order bonus. Not sure I believe it.
Activision put out a poll a while ago asking what pre-order bonuses we want and a beta was one option. With the 3 year dev cycle they actually have time for one now.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

VJeff posted:

There's no way this actually happens, right? I found it weird enough when people did it for MW3, but Ghosts has like no redeemig qualities.
I would have enjoyed MW3 if it wren't for the awful, awful netcode which apparently didn't affect some people. Ghosts actually seemed to have decent netcode when I played but the game itself was just dreary.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Javes posted:

Yeah looks like CharlieIntel has some gameplay footage. Man, the TTK seems way too fast.
None of the links work. They work on the site:
http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/08/11/exclusive-gameplay-of-4-advance-warfare-maps-and-menus-defender-biolab-ascend-riot

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

All the features sound good but I didn't get very interested while watching it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Roman posted:

All the features sound good but I didn't get very interested while watching it.
...ok to be fair I don't have time right now to watch a whole match but nothing I saw really grabbed my attention.

Graphics look Ghosts PS4 quality at best, don't seem to be really pushing the hardware in multiplayer like the campaign. Also the announcers sound bored, hopefully it's placeholder stuff

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Shnakepup posted:

I will say, the time-to-kill looks pretty fast. Seemed to be more than a few "turn a corner, die instantly" moments in those gameplay videos.
That's what worries me. In Blops 2 TTK was high and perks like Flak Jacket all but nullified explosives because the game was built around holding objectives. Modes like Hardpoint just won't work if you die too quickly.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Javes posted:

If the TTK does indeed turn out to be on the faster side I think I'll be fine with it due to all the new movement options.
I didn't think of that. That will probably even it out, especially once everyone playing it starts to remember they can jump and dash instead of just sprinting around.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I finally had time to sit down and watch the videos and it does look neat. One complaint is that the border markers for hardpoints are just a glowing line on the floor that doesn't stand out that well. The big floating chevrons in Black Ops 2 were more visually satisfying when you managed to dive behind one and score.

I was annoyed at Danger Close at first, but it might actually be balanced in a game where you can jump and dash away from explosives.

Also I wish we could get 60 fps footage of these games. With YouTube compression I may as well be watching the 360 port

Roman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 11, 2014

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Little shits couldn't even wait until the game came out to make this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqHQt_KDGs

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I have no friends so PS4 all the way

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Here's my reason:
EMP Grenade - disable enemy equipment and exo movements. Can be manually detonated.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

venutolo posted:

That's been my experience. I get framerate drops way too often on PS4. On Xbone, it has been much smoother.
I remember some article by some tech site claiming that the game actually puts out MORE than 60 fps on PS4 but IW never capped the framerate so it looks messed up?

And isn't it 720p upscaled to 1080p on xbone, or did they patch that?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Wazzit posted:

Advanced Warfare bundle with a 1TB console and a custom controller that will make you look so :c00lbert:
http://www.charlieintel.com/2014/08/12/advanced-warfare-xbox-one-bundle-with-1tb-hard-drive-coming-november/

The vanilla xbone is actually fugly IMO but it's amazing what some paint will do.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

VJeff posted:

I mean, granted, that could just be because Infinity Ward is a miserable fuckup of a studio.
They managed to make probably the worst PC port of COD (Ghosts), which was still an awful microstuttery mess months after release. The Steam free weekend probably lost them even more sales, if that's possible.

Roman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 12, 2014

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

If you're into the whole 60 fps thing. Chrome recommended.
http://mp1st.com/2014/08/12/60-fps-call-duty-advanced-warfare-multiplayer-gameplay-watch

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

The movement explained:
http://youtu.be/bGl0EhhtoOs

tldr: Double tap/hold A to boost jump, hold longer = more boost. Click left stick to dash. Clicking while sprinting forward is a slide instead of dash. Seems Scuf users will really benefit. Melee slam is weak, you need to be right on top of someone.

Roman fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 14, 2014

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Because it's a good way to learn the maps, sightlines etc. And I like to get to the point to where I can beat the super hard difficulty bots, so when I go online with real players and get my rear end kicked anyway I can blame everything else but me

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Looks like the bad guy armor from Haze. Boosh!

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

PS4 Digital Pro Edition pre-ordered. What have I done.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm actually enjoying Destiny so much I'm wondering if I will even feel like playing this game.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Actually I thought the first Destiny expansion was coming in November for some dumb reason but it's not, so I guess I'll be playing this instead.

I hope the new Combat Training (or whatever they're calling it) is like Blops 2 and not just botmode.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Combat_Readiness_Program

Seems that Combat Training in AW doesn't give XP? It's just a pure offline botmode which is lame. Blops 2 did it perfect.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

ethanol posted:

modern warfare 3 was the one where you got to watch a young family get gassed in paris though
that was in the UK not paris.

also, why was an american family running around the UK doing cutesy tourist stuff when their home country was invaded and in ruins?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So like Austrailia launched and streams are up. Watching this one: http://www.twitch.tv/heyitsbbg

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Finster Dexter posted:

I've been watching a few streams now, and it seems like all of the streams I've watched have had at least a couple times where they stopped shooting a guy because they thought he was dead, and then they died. That makes me think TTK is a bit higher than what people are used to, even if it's a fraction of a second higher.
Everyone is saying TTK is more than Ghosts but less than Blops 2.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Kilometers Davis posted:

So can you level up/unlock poo poo with bots?
Nope. :mad:

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

PC stream, says it's a good port and initial impressions are positive. http://www.twitch.tv/orb

He's having trouble finding games. No surprise there.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I played the first campaign level and some Combat Readiness matches and... I like it?

Combat Readiness is odd though, there are only set loadouts, both bots and real players are labeled Enemy/Friendly (no names). And no xp. Good as a way to get your feet wet with multi but since it seems you can't practice with custom loadouts I don't see much long term appeal.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

What do you actually need to do to get the Mountain Dew/Dorito stuff? Is it random or Buy X, get Y?
I need to make my character obnoxious as hell. I already have a stupid Anarchy vest.
Enter the codes from stuff at dewanddoritos.com and it will just show up in the game. You have to link your xbone/PS4 account to it. It will give you a "New Items" alert when you start.

It was worth it for the Randy Savage "Doritos" sunglasses alone

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Right, but I mean is it like... buy a 12 pack to unlock Dew Pants, or do you choose what you want from your codes?
Edit: I wouldn't actually drink or eat the Dewritos so I'm curious how much money I'd have to waste if I wanted to get this stuff.
One code unlocks one thing, be it boots or 15 mins of 2XP or whatever. You can't choose but it's one thing per code

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This poo poo's fun, guys.

Also doritos 2XP + day 0 2XP = level 16 in less than a half hour.

Blast suppressor was the first thing I put on when I unlocked it because why wouldn't you.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Customfresh posted:

Haven't played COD since MW2.. Do I get anything from single player that I can use in multi or are they silo'd? Basically I want to jump straight into multi if it's not rear end backwards.
No they are separate.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

So I guess Sledgehammer tried knifing in Black Ops 2 and said "We need to make knifing in our game even worse."

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Stumpalitious posted:

This game is a ton of fun and I don't even get why they put in "classic" playlists, what kind of boring loser would play those?
The same boring losers who wanted "no titans/AI" modes in Titanfall

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

"Hey lets all buy a game thats worse than Titanfall, a game that raised the bar of modern FPS games to an inch off the floor and was praised for it's next gen experience" ~ idiots in this thread
Which edition of AW did you buy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Carbohydrates posted:

aw yeah ready to rock and roll

that's not a specially marked bag with codes for double xp or cool Doritos gear. loving casual.

• Locked thread