Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
will I later regret not putting effort into this poll?
Yes
No
View Results

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A Call of Duty game set in the future. Color me surprised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Worth mentioning: the title makes this game sound like it is a Nintendo game exclusive to the Gameboy Advance in 2002. Or maybe an add on to a lovely collectible card game called Warfare.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Shakugan posted:

I really don't think it's quite so simple. They are clearly using "Frank Underwood" to attract gamers, not just Kevin Spacey. A more reasonable question would be to ask if someone made a game with Ian McKellen as a wise wizard, Orlando Bloom as an elf with a bow etc, would the Tolkien estate get royalties. My bet is that yes, they would.

EDIT: I mean, just look at this thread. Look at every news article about this game. Practically all of them mention House of Cards and Frank Underwood. Activision will be profiting based off a character in a tv show they don't own. Lawsuits are surely incoming or a deal was already struck.

No one is going to sue because reports about the game mention Kevin Spacey is Frank Underwood of the internet sensation House of Cards. That's like worrying a movie producer is going to get sued because the poster says "Directed by the guy who made this other movie!"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If all else fails they can launch the Call of Duty: Legal Warfare series where you defend Activision from former employees and multimedia companies by shooting up the Respawn Entertainment offices.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dum Cumpster posted:

What kind of masks are the lawyers wearing? I need to add them to my list.

Kevin Spacy spergout isn't as good as mask spergout by a longshot. This game is already worse than Ghosts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

VJeff posted:

A little is an understatement.

The core game is drat good but when that loop only lasts a few minutes and it's all there is to do, it becomes rote and boring super fast.

It's great to see these comments and then see people elsewhere on the internet claim Battlefield Bad Company 2 was the best game in the Battlefield franchise because there wasn't a ton of stuff to unlock. People love having a reason to keep playing beyond getting more kills and calling in Titans that die in five minutes.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

1stGear posted:

I bought the original F.E.A.R. in the Summer Sale and have been playing through it recently. Weirdly, despite have PC hardware that was only hypothetical at the time the game was made, I was experiencing severe framerate drops at something as simple as the menu screen. Some light Googling showed that it was a known problem. The solution? Unplugging and then plugging back in my Logitech mouse.

Its almost like the interaction between hardware and software is more complicated than raw horsepower.

Payday 2 on the PC creates a file in your app data folder that tells the game to keep it at a set resolution and framerate. If you turn V-Sync on (and you will because the screen tearing is intense) it will not lock updates to your monitor refresh rate, but instead set a random rear end number. I was getting a half second of display delay because the game was somehow locked to 24FPS. Game developers do really really weird poo poo.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zombie Boat posted:

So you dont.

Just wait until everyone stops playing this game and starts saying last year's game was better and abuse the lower population numbers.

Though the way people talked about Ghosts and the fact that some of you seem to derive actual joy out of playing this game suggests that may not be the viable strategy it has been since Black Ops.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Zombie Boat posted:

My :siren: GF :siren: must work for beachhead because why would you start a clan war when she has the weekend off and I can't play?

Get :siren: married :siren: and she'll want you to go away for most of the weekend and you can play all the time. It's pretty great/terrible when the game you want to play is incredibly broken.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

I did it last year along with purchasing 80 bottles of Dew and 80 bags of Doritos last year so I could win an Xbox One. Good times.

I think this post is probably the best example of Poe's Law I've ever seen.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dum Cumpster posted:

Sweet I got an elite pointy rock

Day one edition give you the gold antler tine.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

SubponticatePoster posted:

Well consider it an upgrade, now you get no-strings-attached sex in airport bathrooms.

Not if you are a Senator from Idaho you can't.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wait, the stinger is now basically the Javelin from MW2. If that is a design decision and not a mistake I would almost want to play a COD game again.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nighthand posted:

We're on God's True Console, of course it works perfectly.

So there are PC players? I thought they all learned to not buy COD from Ghosts.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

The Merry Marauder posted:

"That atrocity MW3"

He also got in a jab at the Ubisoft "30 FPS is more cinematic" statement, so he's just swinging for the fences on this one.

It's amazing to see what you guys have coming at you with this game. Battlefield people just spent the better part of the last year dealing with some of what we considered to be the worst connections and netcode issues in the franchise and only recently were they fixed. Still, they were nothing like what this guy was showing off. I hope the old BOYS crew isn't suffering from this too often.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

nnnotime posted:

Related question, are the increased frequency of DDOS attacks putting people off playing these games? And conversely, how much more would you be willing to pay monthly for measures to help mitigate these attacks, assuming that was possible (I know DDOS's are very difficult if not impossible to eliminate).

If you are on a console you are already paying Microsoft and Sony to keep their networks up full time. Microsoft supposedly makes $6 million or so a month off Live subscriptions and before the Xbox One came around they were charging that so you could play peer-to-peer games.

It's also not impossible to stop a DDoS attack, Lizard Squad went after Steam last week and took down a single server...for less than a minute. By comparison they pulled Origin and Battlefield 4 offline about five times this last year for a few hours each time. Microsoft and Sony aren't investing in security and stability, either with better programming or providing backup servers because they sort of have players over a barrel. If you want to play games online you have to use their services, so they can cheap out or not care about some facet of the online infrastructure. Any apology they make is going to cost less than actually fixing the problem in a meaningful way and you really only hurt yourself if you say you are going to boycott their online services, so they still make their money off you.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Wazzit posted:

Hey guys Ghosts wasn't all that bad.

Good to see the cycle is continuing with every CoD game.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mister Macys posted:

Uh, isn't the tradition to say it's better than the current game?

Also, I don't recall anybody doing that with CoD3, World at War, or MW3, so it can't really be a tradition.

People definitely went back to MW3 after BLOPS 2, especially when it first came out and wasn't working right. World at War is the outlier in this situation because people went "Uh, COD4 is a better game" and played that instead of WaW.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roman posted:

https://twitter.com/RaWCypherrr/status/558701341884035072

Is this the first time they'll be shutting down servers for older CODs?

How do you shut down the game servers for a game that uses a Peer to Peer connection? I mean, besides photoshopping it in, of course.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mister Macys posted:

If they were to ever shut down the old ones, it'd mean a CoD HD collection is imminent. :getin:

Can't wait for the speedtest.net results in stunning HD.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fibby Boy posted:

That's the general opinion. Campaign is fun. Multiplayer is bad.

Also the Target I work at is still selling blops 1 for 40 bucks. Mw3 is 30 and ghosts is 20. Found that pretty funny today.

MW3 is like $40 on Steam because Activision doesn't give a single gently caress about post launch sales of the games. I think nearly everything they put out is like that unless it flops incredibly hard and they have to cut their losses by dropping the price 60% in three months for a weekend deal or whatever. For example: Amazing Spider-Man and Amazing Spider-Man 2 are both $40 on Steam. 2 flopped hard and had a price cut nearly as soon as it launched, the first one did relatively OK from what I've heard and sticks around $40.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

A SWELL DUDE posted:

They're currently running a promotion where if you buy Titanfall, you don't have to contemplate playing AW.

The PC version of the game was on sale for like ten dollars last week. Now the only version available is the $20 deluxe edition, which includes all DLC which is free right now.

Don't play Titanfall no matter how good the deal is.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mill Village posted:

Looks like I'm playing COD on PC this year.

Why? Don't you want to be able to play the game against other people for more than a week after release?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So how many more disappointing CoD games before you guys stop slamming your dicks in the silverware drawer yearly?

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So if BLOPS3 is as bad as this one will you guys finally give up on CoD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Fibby Boy posted:

Depends. Will you keep putting out videos of counter strike? because I gotta get my shooting mans fix somehow.

I'm enjoying CS almost too much, to the detriment of the 100 other games I have now. I bought games when I built my PC two years ago I never even downloaded and instead of remedying that I just keep launching CS and get beat by hyperactive 13 year olds using strategies taught to them by 35 year old Swedes over the internet.

• Locked thread