Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO posted:

I wish more people seemed to get this point. There is really no end game in this, so why play something that isn't fun/cool even if it's slightly more efficient than the others? :confused:

Some people specifically derive fun in being more efficient, like they're more interested in the meta game than the game itself. I'd say most people fall somewhere in-between because no one wants to play something terribly inefficient. No matter how much you like a class archetype it's not going to be fun hitting a brick wall where you can't do anything by yourself and no group wants you either, so people who are not familiar with the game like me want to make sure we aren't falling into a trap with our class choice.

Some games are well balanced to make everything viable and some games punish you super hard for not knowing the meta beforehand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I wish more people seemed to get this point. There is really no end game in this, so why play something that isn't fun/cool even if it's slightly more efficient than the others? :confused:

There's so much cool class diversity, it's a pity 90% of the people playing will be going in with a "babies first korean build" approach.

I'll probably hop in discord on Monday and see what everyone is theory crafting though. I'm pretty much settled on 2 routes, but I'm having a hell of a time deciding which will be the most fun in the long run.

Lets all get :sludgepal: for the Tuesday morning release.

People start to care about efficiency when the game was based around aoe grinding mobs for hours on end to get a single level. The exp curve is better but lol if they still don't have you doing this and you notice the guy next to you is 10 times better at it than you are.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

How does aspergillium work really? Are the extra points in aspersio doing a big difference in its damage? How about the block penetration ability chaplains have that require resurrection? I know most mobs cant block for poo poo but what about pvp? Do chaplains even need block penetration, everything I've heard and seen from auto attacks have the magical portion of the autoattacks attacks, which is where like 90% of damage is go right to the mobs even if you miss.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 26, 2016

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

What type of PvP does this game have? Like WoW's BGs and servers flagged for Open World slash Gankatoriums in the lowbie zone?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

People start to care about efficiency when the game was based around aoe grinding mobs for hours on end to get a single level. The exp curve is better but lol if they still don't have you doing this and you notice the guy next to you is 10 times better at it than you are.

From what I've read. The game has turned into a dungeon crawler where people login, do their dungeons, then log out because mob density isn't enough for AoE mob grinding to be viable anymore.

I hope this isn't terribly true still.

That said, I get where people are coming from with the efficiency builds. I wasn't mocking/poking at other's definitions of fun. I just think a lot of people will burn themselves out thinking "THIS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR THE GAME TO BE FUN" based on 99% of the posts in the game's main forum.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

i want a build where my only skills are Aspergillium, Butt Stroke, and Rim Blow

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
I fall pretty neatly in the "derive fun from being efficient" category. Or, rather, "derive fun from being useful".

So for instance, if we're planning to guild vs guild, my personal satisfaction will be from helping us do that. That's not to say I don't enjoy vydia games for what they are, but I'm a very "think ahead" person.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Drium posted:

I fall pretty neatly in the "derive fun from being efficient" category. Or, rather, "derive fun from being useful".

So for instance, if we're planning to guild vs guild, my personal satisfaction will be from helping us do that. That's not to say I don't enjoy vydia games for what they are, but I'm a very "think ahead" person.

There are no rewards for GvG atm, and no real penalties either. It's just for fun (well, our fun)! So if you find a combo you think is hilarious, go for it. There's no pressure!

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

So uh, it seems kinda like a bad time to ask build questions... but I have build questions. I like to play ice mages in MMO/RPGs whenever possible and both Linker and Sorcerer's gameplay look interesting, so what do you guys think about something like this: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/l4wae0tzgb/ or this: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/qh92zatpzq/?

I wanted to go for that Rune Caster class for Rune of Ice, but I heard 3 ranks of Wizard is mandatory given the Runes' casting time and I personally wanna max out Cryomancer instead. I've also heard Sorcerer needs to get Linker to compensate for the bad summon AI but opinions on that seem more mixed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

From what I've read. The game has turned into a dungeon crawler where people login, do their dungeons, then log out because mob density isn't enough for AoE mob grinding to be viable anymore.

I hope this isn't terribly true still.

That said, I get where people are coming from with the efficiency builds. I wasn't mocking/poking at other's definitions of fun. I just think a lot of people will burn themselves out thinking "THIS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR THE GAME TO BE FUN" based on 99% of the posts in the game's main forum.

It was really funny to see people in the last beta round to talk about swordsmen and mention that you had to go highlander or you would just ruin your self from the damage it did to bosses. Like the boss at the end of the mines would be destroyed by a single highlander skill. I went the other way, picked up the non efficient classes to try them out, and although I had the neat ability to taunt or ride a mount the damage was no where near the same.

I would be able to tank bosses like nothing else with a shield and watch super dps swordsmen die to bosses I could solo, but it would take me 5-10 minutes to solo a boss. Together it would take us about 2 since their damage was so much higher.

The real problem here is that some classes are too good and the game was designed with grinding in mind. People would get exp scrolls in the beta that were supposed to make up for it but even then there were hell levels and people recommended grinding in some areas just to get past it and eat the scrolls in later levels to make the entire progress easier. If you did this you got to level 100 easily and if you didn't you got stuck around level 80 or so.

I am almost certain that there will be a grind trap in this game no matter how much they reduce the exp requirements or give you exp scrolls since that is just how the base game was designed.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

blizzardvizard posted:

So uh, it seems kinda like a bad time to ask build questions... but I have build questions. I like to play ice mages in MMO/RPGs whenever possible and both Linker and Sorcerer's gameplay look interesting, so what do you guys think about something like this: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/l4wae0tzgb/ or this: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/qh92zatpzq/?

I wanted to go for that Rune Caster class for Rune of Ice, but I heard 3 ranks of Wizard is mandatory given the Runes' casting time and I personally wanna max out Cryomancer instead. I've also heard Sorcerer needs to get Linker to compensate for the bad summon AI but opinions on that seem more mixed.

You can save points from an earlier circle of a class and use them in a later circle of that class.

@ your first build: Don't get gust, prob don't get 5 in Ice Bolt, 1 point in Ice Blast is okay for the stylish animation, take a point out of Physical Link and put it in Hangman's Knot, phys link is broken and even if it did work it would still be way worse, your build doesn't get anything from Linker c2, and Warlock is prob fine but I don't know much about it.

@ your second build: Same comments for Cryo, Sorc looks fine but Salamion might be better than familiar, Warlock is prob fine.

LegalPad
Oct 23, 2013

What happened since beta to make cryo a choice over pyro?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

LegalPad posted:

great question. ive seen lots of people suggest cryo over linker in some cases cause linker got nerfed though. maybe pyro did too?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Ice Pike works well with the nerfed Joint Penalty, Cryo just got a lot of buffs generally. Pyro is still good too.

ellbent
May 2, 2007

I NEVER HAD SOUL
I'm going to play a Sadhu just because I want to kill slimes and rabbits with my Stand.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

ellbent posted:

I'm going to play a Sadhu just because I want to kill slimes and rabbits with my Stand.
Only if you make a macro to spam MUDA MUDA MUDA.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Sacro posted:

You can get by in pve with just about anything but yes some builds will be significantly better than others. If you're in doubt ask before you change classes or throw out what build you're looking at. There will be a lot of activity in discord when the game is out and people will tell you if you are making a huge mistake or not. The game is not about rushing to max level and being the top dps for raiding so pick cool classes that you want to play.

What are the tightest ranger builds?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fadam posted:

What are the tightest ranger builds?

https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#31444bbb.154555.1f354f6575.1f4f5a65 This is pretty all right. Provided that you want to go into Fletcher to stay exclusively bow. If not, you have some wiggle room in taking more circles of archer for kneeling shot and swift step or doing something else completely.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

LegalPad posted:

Ice Wall has all sorts of bullshit interactions that trivialize every boss in the game.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Clearly this is something that will never be patched out and we all should go 100% cryo to the goon :v:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

orphean posted:

Clearly this is something that will never be patched out and we all should go 100% cryo to the goon :v:

I'll stick to my druid build, so all of our 20 Cryos can have 21 buffs on at once.

Drium
Jun 24, 2015
So is the game launching in six hours, or thirty?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Third World Reggin posted:

I am almost certain that there will be a grind trap in this game no matter how much they reduce the exp requirements or give you exp scrolls since that is just how the base game was designed.

I think the success of those classes will depend on how pleasurable the traps are to those who play them

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
hey all decided that I wanted to go squire. is swordsmen --> swordsmen --> hoplite --> hoplite --> squire decent enough? will probably do squire again for c2. not sure what else after that

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Sacro posted:

In CBT2 I was fond of 1 str : 4 dex ratio for swordsman. Str gives a flat 1 damage and 1 damage on crits, this is completely linear aside from the fact you get 10% more str when you get a new rank (max 70% more) and any stat gains more and more points as you invest. Dex gives you crit chance, dodge, and accuracy. Critical hits deal 50% extra damage which will increase the base damage on skills, in addition to getting that extra damage from str. You want to be critting as often as possible and dodging most attacks. I'm not sure if people figured out a crit or dodge cap but it requires quite a bit of dex. Str is most useful very early on after you are hit capped (which is easy with small amounts of dex) and quite a bit later once you are critting and dodging most of the time. Note that each mob in the game has its own crit rate resistance so you need more dex to crit certain mobs.

From what I remember when I played the beta it was very easy to get a near crit cap with gems, so it's best to put almost all your points into strength. Is that no longer the case?

Does anyone know if fencer is any good? It's the class that looked the coolest to me but I didn't poopsock hard enough to open it last time I played. It doesn't have to be "good" even, just passable.

suicide4sexbots
Jul 24, 2015

caught in a hyperloop,
spun out into static -
you were never there,
i was never here

so why does my car
still smell like ass
College Slice
The whittle class looks so cool. Is it viable for a healer to level that up a bit?

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Looking for a solid build that includes falconer and musketeer.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Bashez posted:

From what I remember when I played the beta it was very easy to get a near crit cap with gems, so it's best to put almost all your points into strength. Is that no longer the case?

Does anyone know if fencer is any good? It's the class that looked the coolest to me but I didn't poopsock hard enough to open it last time I played. It doesn't have to be "good" even, just passable.

I don't know what the crit cap is but getting to 100% crit at level 280 would require 667 crit rate. Having 3 level 10 green gems (which loving lol at farming these) gives 276 or 304 crit rate, then you can get another 57~121 from equipment. Most people playing since iCBT2 are saying to go mostly str though.

suicide4sexbots posted:

The whittle class looks so cool. Is it viable for a healer to level that up a bit?

Yup

Secret Spoon posted:

Looking for a solid build that includes falconer and musketeer.

Archer 2 - Ranger 3 - Falconer - Musketeer for most generic effective build.

Sacro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 28, 2016

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
i can't wait to throw down ten bucks and re-experience the early levels of battle-acolyte leveling in a new game and new world. god bless us all, each and every one

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
http://strawpoll.me/7207039

Please vote on server selection, if you have some different calculus to determine the best server do share.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Luceid posted:

i can't wait to throw down ten bucks and re-experience the early levels of battle-acolyte leveling in a new game and new world. god bless us all, each and every one

godspeed gamer. i havent decided if i want to play thaumaturge mage, fletcher archer, or some flavor of swordsman yet. why does squire have to suck so bad, the sprite is good

Drium
Jun 24, 2015

Sacro posted:

http://strawpoll.me/7207039

Please vote on server selection, if you have some different calculus to determine the best server do share.
I'd pick it based on letter.

'First server that starts with M, or first server that starts with a letter after M otherwise.' for example.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Goobs posted:

hey all decided that I wanted to go squire. is swordsmen --> swordsmen --> hoplite --> hoplite --> squire decent enough? will probably do squire again for c2. not sure what else after that

Templar :twisted:

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Goobs posted:

The general consensus is to never go squire unless you're becoming a templar or going 3 circles into squire. Because the second someone goes 3 ranks in squire, all c2 and c1 squires are negated in usefulness.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Like I said, as long as you pick high attack oriented circles later on early choices can be mitigated. Going swordmanx2.hoplitex2, squirex2, is an unfathomable nightmare of leveling you will want to kill yourself before you are done with squire2. Adding templar afterwards is just something the most tryhards of guild leaders would want.

Hell, I was having a bad time just going cleric->priest until you get sacrament. I just cant imagine how horrible it would be going 2 circles worth of levels where all you are getting are an increase to your base damage from gear upgrades.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm gonna have 4 other people to run around with and look after, I want to do the healy thing. What is the most useful build I can get for cleric+?

I tried this in the beta, discovered the krivis lightning spell and never looked back...

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is there a moneymaking/crafting profession that doesn't ruin your character?

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Feb 11, 2012

Scoss posted:

Is there a moneymaking/crafting profession that doesn't ruin your character?

Alchemist from what I read.

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm gonna have 4 other people to run around with and look after, I want to do the healy thing. What is the most useful build I can get for cleric+?

I tried this in the beta, discovered the krivis lightning spell and never looked back...

Cleric -> Cleric C2 -> Priest -> Priest C2 -> Priest C3 -> Whatever you want -> Plague Doctor

This is the typical busted support build, until they unbreak plague doctor from being comically broken.

Edit: Looks like they released the pre-load on steam so people can download a day 1 200 mb patch. It's happening! (also, servers aren't up yet. Not till 2am EST.)

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Mar 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
gently caress it, going to be a tank whore i guess, sounds like people are going to want tanks to be meatshields anyway. Swordman>Peltasta>Peltasta>Peltasta>Squire>Centurion

• Locked thread