Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I was pretty certain that this game was dead, I am extremely happy to be proven wrong. The game looks like the love child of RO, Odin Sphere, and Diablo 3, and that is just downright exciting. If it's as mechanically sound as RO was, with some modern gameplay elements on top, I can very easily see it being quite successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

There is now an English version of their blog: http://blog.treeofsavior.com/en/

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Yep, first email said the 3rd, a follow up email changed it to the 4th. Should be able to writeup some of my impressions throughout the week.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Anyone know if there's a 'force attack' option? Couldn't seem to find it in any of the options.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'm pretty certain I just partied up with one of you. Whoever GoonSquad is, I had a good time just chillin and slaying lots of super fast spawns with you.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

It's fun but also very grindy. Though, if you're posting in here then you probably already expected it to be grindy, so that may not exactly come as a shock to you.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

For anyone interested, I did some testing of Wizard skills (Energy Bolt and Earthquake) and varying levels of MATK. Also, I did some quick tests looking at Spirit/SP Recovery.

A few interesting results from my tests:

1.) You always see multiple hits per spell (e.g. 51,21 or 47,25) but the total damage is always the same. There is no variance in total magic damage.

2.) +1 MATK = +1 total damage per enemy. Again, the individual hit numbers may change, but the total damage dealt per enemy is always the same. You always gain +1 total damage for every +1 MATK.

3.) Different spells will scale differently with respect to each other, but the spells themselves appear to scale the same across each level. The damage on a level 1 energy bolt will scale the same with +MATK as the level 3 version.

4.) SP recovery is a simple X/20. When standing, you gain X SP every 20 seconds. Whatever your SP recovery is, is what you'll gain during those 20 second ticks. When sitting, this X/10. Like MATK this also has linear scaling. 10SP recovery is 10SP every 20 seconds. 20SP recovery is 20 SP every 20 seconds. Basically, if you're a wizard, don't bother with spirit for a long, long time. Just dump everything in to INT. Mana potions will give you all the SP you need.

5.) Spells never crit.

For anyone interested, I graphed out some of my data showing the growth rate of Energy Bolt and Earth Quake from level 1, 2 and 3 with varying levels of MATK. While I don't have hundreds of points of data, I'm fairly confident, given the nature of magic damage that I've seen in several hundred damage tests, that the trend lines are accurate.

Energy Bolt + EQ / MATK damage graph:

Also, the grind is real. Especially around level 30. I don't mind a grind, but I was hoping it wouldn't show up until at least level 100.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Drakes posted:

Enough about the grind!

Is there dumb headgear you can farm towards?

Yep. First mob type is definitely farmable for a "doll" which goes on your head. Haven't found any headgear recipes yet, but you can still find rare "headgear".

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Baldbeard posted:

So is the game good or what?
Any RO vets wana weigh in on if the grind everyone is talking about is actually fun or is it just another bad game?

FWIW I played RO throughout numerous betas, and stopped right around renewal. When the English servers finally came back up in like, 2002, I was one of the first Knights on the server (back when counter attack was crazy good and you could basically CA MVPs to death all day). I think it's pretty fair to say I've got my fair share of experience of the 1-100 grind in RO.

TOS is better.

The combat in TOS is much quicker, you can jump, you can cast spells while moving, and a lot of your skills will hit multiple enemies. If you've ever played Ys: Origins, the combat will feel very familiar to you. I wouldn't be surprised if they used that game as their blueprint for TOS, because it feels nearly identical.

There are a lot more monsters in smaller clumps in TOS, but the zones are going to be much smaller and more linear. With the increase in density you'll most likely be killing 2 or 3 mobs at a time even if you don't want to, the density is that high. With a party, you can probably continuously kill 10-12 mobs at a time for hours. There are even a few spots in each zone that have higher than normal spawns. I'm not sure if they're intended, but I stumbled on to a few. The spawn rates in those spots are pretty much instantaneous, so if you like chilling and grinding out thousands of bad guys in an hour, you're in luck. There are also two special flavors of monster.

A "blue" version of a mob will give you a giant pile of XP when killed, usually two or three levels worth. You'll want to hunt these down immediately whenever you see one. I also found a flashing white version that dropped a larger than normal amount of loot, usually four or five times the normal amount. These help shake the usual mob grind up a bit. Also, a very important thing to note, only the person that last hits a normal mob will get loot. Attacking a mini-boss or boss will still guarantee loot for everyone though, but be prepared to have people kill steal out in the world if this goes unchanged.

The biggest difference I noticed is that TOS actually has some semblance of story, and there are many more quests to get you started. In the CBT you can pretty much quest your way up to level 30. They also manage to sprinkle in numerous bosses, I'd say roughly one every five quests or so will result in you fighting a boss. They telegraph their attacks pretty well with little indicators on the ground, and some of them spawn adds that you'll have to manage as well. They're much better designed than the RO MVPs, and there are a lot more of them. They're pretty fun to fight, but the HP values when solo'ing them appear to be a bit overtuned -- some fights as a wizard took me 5-10 minutes to complete.

With all of that said, the grind is real, and shows up pretty early on. For the record, I don't mind a grind. Coming from RO I expected it. But it shows up really early. Even before level 30 you'll probably have to start grinding on mobs before going to the next area or tackling the next bunch of quests. I would be much happier with an XP curve where the grind doesn't get "real" until 100-150. Given that the max level is apparently 400+ I think it would be much more appropriate to make it relatively easy for players to hit level 100-150, and then let them go to town and grind out the next 250 levels over a couple years. This may all change in the next beta test, and apparently the korean beta test had modified XP to get them up faster, so this may all be in flux anyway. As it stands, I'm not sure I could stomach the game if the XP curve is this bad at release.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 11, 2015

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ah, yeah I was solo and I remember leaving the mines at 25 and getting to the next area and everything was 28+. It was a bit rough. I'm not sure how I feel about the XP scrolls. They did help smooth out some of those plateaus, but I'm not sure why we couldn't have just been given more quest XP, especially when mobs jump up so many levels from one quest area to the next.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

The character models in TOS are 3d models that are textured and lit to look like 2d sprites.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Huh? Are you sure about that?

From what I remember, they said players are 2d, and enemies are 3d. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but they don't look "fake 2d" in the vidyas.

Very sure. For one, it's the quickest and easiest way of getting multiple angles and animations for the character sprites. Having to draw each piece of armor and body part in eight different angles, and in various animations is a giant headache. It's much quicker and more efficient to just make a 3d model, texture it, and find a rendering and lighting solution that can make those pre-defined angles look 2d. It's a very significant savings in time. If you're interested in seeing a similar process, Subatomic Studios uses it for Fieldrunners and Fieldrunners 2, and they've got a little video of it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDqDWsdGzeE

Also, there was a blog post where they mention that character art uses 3d models built from 2d concepts, and then rendered as 2d sprites. You can find that blog post here: http://treeofsaviorgame.com/review/1197/ros-successor-tos-first-cbt-preview/

Edit: There's also that ^^^ which is pretty neat. Shame some of the rigs are busted :(

Gearman fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Aug 13, 2015

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Truga posted:

Oh I know. I just thought they went the olde RO way, but with a bigger budget/less pixel art. Guess not.

Yeah it's just not a very cost effective solution unfortunately. By doing it this way, they can very quickly make a new hat, or cat ears or whatever, and render out all of the angles needed for it very quickly. It's an order of magnitude faster than having an artist attempt to paint that same hat in eight or sixteen or however many player angles that they allow for. To their credit, their texture work is so good that it's fooling quite a few people anyway. I don't think it really matters if they're 3d models or not, as long as the final product looks good.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kylra posted:

Gonna play a Chronomancer just for the outrageous pocketwatch.

Gotta name your character Flavor Flav tho.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Fair warning, if you're a wizard and you're not putting points in to something like Earthquake or Energy Bolt, you're going to have a really bad time in the early game. There isn't really anything else worth putting a lot of points in to at that level anyway. I'm probably just going to dump whatever points I have in to them just to get through content. I'm hopeful there will be a skill reset available later on anyway.

For anyone interested, this is what the scaling on the various levels of those two skills looked like in CBT1. Don't have mana values, but mana wasn't really an issue anyway (even with SPI as a total trap stat with horrid scaling). You could buy pots to take care of mana issues up until level 40-50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kylra posted:

That feel when your earthquake leaves a bunch of mobs your level at .5% hp.

Also I am liking the EYE SPIKE spell.

Also also, I think I figured out what the deal was with the damage numbers. Magic damage doesn't show up on the skill pane, but it does increase when you hit stuff. It seems like it might just straight up add your magic damage to skill damage. Anyone know if the enhance attributes apply to the magic damage bonus (from int/weapons)?

Pretty sure the skill pane UI is bugged out. It also shows numbers going down when you add points, but then they go up when you hit 'accept' :iiam:

Also for my wizard friends, a few pro tips:

- For multi-hit skills like earthquake and energy bolt, you might see different pairs of numbers, but they will always add up to the same total amount of damage every time.
- Spirit is still hot garbage and I'm of the opinion that it's probably not at all worth putting points in to until much later (level 50 maybe?). The amount of SP gained by putting even 10 points in to SP is horrific.
- Haven't looked at current ICBT, but in the last one, the enhance attributes were a flat bonus on top of your total damage for that spell. For example, if your Energy Bolt used to hit for 100 damage, and you have 10 ranks of enhance Energy Bolt, your Energy Bolt would do 110 damage.
- Spells can't miss, and they can't crit.
- Use auto attacks while jumping. It prevents you from being locked in place when casting and let's you clear just about everything up to level 40+ without being hit.
- Energy Bolt can be cast while moving, but not jumping. You also don't need to charge it all the way up, you can do a half cast if you're about to get hit or need to move quickly.
- Get a level 15 2-handed weapon with the highest MATK you can find and improve it with an anvil, and socket it with a couple upgraded blue gems. It'll easily last you until level 40 when new staves become available.

• Locked thread