Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Who the gently caress brings lasagna to a picnic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Geniasis posted:

I seem to remember that cats were part of either that experiment or a similar one only it ended up not working when the cats realized that they got a treat at the end regardless of their performance.

Fuckers.

My cat is pretty brilliant at conversational pacing/intonation. (He will wait for me to pause talking to meow, for example.) But that doesn't mean I think he understands anything other than his name.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

ibntumart posted:

*fart noises*

This is incredible. Where did you find this?

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
At first I thought it said "Brendan took me out to a skate park with plans to have a picnic".

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Lasagne, with spare in the fridge.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

sweeperbravo posted:

It's one of those types of things that could be lucrative, might be something you enjoy on a basic level, but always turns uncomfortable when the conversation topic at a party of adult grown-ups turns to "What do you do for a living."

I don't think it's very lucrative. I saw a job for a 'GIF and meme creator' yesterday and it was a lovely freelance position. They probably pay you minimum wage, but you become the envy of all your millenial pals, which is priceless.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The suppressed martial arts abilities ones are definetly the best. Backup lasagne was a nice touch.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I don't get it. Brendan antagonizes a couple kids and provokes a fight, and we're supposed to sympathize with a couple who pick fights with teenagers? I feel like the author forgot to make up some context here.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
:lol: blue belt in taekwondo. You can get a blue belt in like six months by doing the bare minimum of effort. Source: I was higher than a blue belt in taekwondo :smug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiKRQNznvrw

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

:lol: blue belt in taekwondo. You can get a blue belt in like six months by doing the bare minimum of effort. Source: I was higher than a blue belt in taekwondo :smug:

Oh really how many teenagers have you beaten up at once?!

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Oh really how many teenagers have you beaten up at once?!

None, but I accidentally cut a grown man's face with my toenail once

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Have some intra-forums STDH.txt, courtesy of middle school horror stories In Ask/tell:

lemonslol posted:

When I was in middle school there was this kid, Dalton--but Dalton went by Daisuke, Daisuke Takashi Smith. He liked anime and manga, I liked school wrestling, but our paths crossed one day and he and I ended up becoming friends. I started to read the manga, I couldn't watch too much anime though, but Daisuke had some sort of mailing list where he would send translators money and they would send him VHS tapes of anime in return, and after he watched them all he would give them to me. Daisuke was very passionate about anime, it consumed him. He would answer questions in class in Japanese, and then say " Whoops, sorry my inner NihonJin came out". A ninja manga, Naruto had just started being produced and he would get fan-translated copies shipped to him, and he started to convince people that he was a ninja, and that he had 'powers'.

Daisuke, got into an argument with some of the jocks on the bus home from detention once, and I happened to be there. He claimed that he had the power to numb his body, and the he would use this in a fight to not feel pain. Obviously middle school kids want to see that, and he called me over from the back of the bus and handed me an extremely sharp pencil. Then he began concentrating, flexing and muttering things in Japanese under his breath; all of a sudden he shouts " STAB ME NOWWWWW" I stabbed him so hard, that when the dust settled and I stared at his arm there was a pencil inside of it, and it was oozing blood. Tears ran down Daisuke's eyes, and he just pulled the pencil out, ignored that more blood was coming out at this point and said " told you guys" and pulled down his sleeve, and pretended he was okay. He ended up passing out on the bus, and we had to tell the bus driver, and the paramedics came and I didn't get home until very late. He ended up saying he did it to himself :coolfish: and transferred schools shortly after.

I ended up running into this guy well into college, he had started his own anime fan-dubbing studio, which he was so eager to show me. On the ride there I learned that he actually got " Takashin Jin Smith" as a tattoo on his upper arm, in old English font, and under it in Japanese. The studio was a shed, with one of those Dell XPS 400 computers in the back, and a couch, and walls covered with anime posters. It was also at the back of his parents home, though he framed that situation in a way where it sounded like his parents were living with him, I didn't believe him.

e: writing this I realized that my middle school had a lot of these zany stories. We had people having sex with sandwich baggies. This one kid got hit with a 2x4 by some rival gang, came to school and proceeded to staple his arm until the teachers would pay attention to him. I used to have "Roleplay Sex" with this girl who was way into anime roleplaying by passing notes to each other, and in the notes we would describe what our 'avatars' were doing to each other.
The boys at are school started this trend where we would pee on each others shoes at the urinal, and the staff had to do an entire assembly about it. There was also this game we played where we would hit each other in the nuts if you did something effeminate, and that lead to a lot of parents trying to sue; this was mostly because kids were taking it too far and one kid would hold your arms behind your head, and the other would just kick you in the dick. I lost my virginity in middle school, but most of my friends did--everyone was having sex, it's pretty disgusting considering that middle school is ages 10-13?

Middle school is weird, I taught high school for a bit, and aside from anime kids being anime, nothing like what I experienced ever happened.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

kizudarake posted:

I used to have "Roleplay Sex" with this girl who was way into anime roleplaying by passing notes to each other, and in the notes we would describe what our 'avatars' were doing to each other.

How much do you want to bet that was the other guys doing this to laugh at him?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Furia posted:

How much do you want to bet that was the other guys doing this to laugh at him?

How much you wanna bet she looked like this?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

kizudarake posted:

How much you wanna bet she looked like this?

My ex's brother used to do this. Once he left his computer on, and I saw he had a long IM conversation with someone, describing what they were doing to each other's wings, horns, tails, etc. They were role playing like they were both anime lesbian winged demons.

They were both men in their mid 30s, one of whom liked my girlfriend, who was a 17 year old girl.

Never underestimate what anime nerds will do, while still pretending #nohomo

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I took two semesters of Japanese and basically two thirds of the students were gigantic weeaboos who desperately wanted to be Japanese, or at least their weird anime-inspired idea of what that was.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

cash crab posted:

This is incredible. Where did you find this?

A Bad Case Of the Dates. Like Not Always Right, most stories probably have kernels of truth, but a lot are embellished and some obviously submitted to see how gullible people are. Also I'm pretty sure the most over-the-top kooky profiles are the website owner's creative writing exercises.

Here's some wackiness that totally happened posted:

Dorothy and I were on our very first date. It was autumn. She had written to me (via e-mail) that she liked being spontaneous. I thought it would be fun to make a leaf pile and jump in it.

"When was the last time you did anything like this?" I asked her.

"Um... when I was five," she said uncomfortably.

When I finished putting the pile together (in record time. It was at least half as tall as she was, and she was a little over five feet), I invited her to have the honors of jumping into it first. I really wanted to jump into it first, myself, but this was a date, after all.

"Uh... no," she said, "I'm not five anymore."

I had made an awesome, colossal leaf pile, and wasn't about to leave it there for some random neighborhood rapscallion to jump into. The fruits of my labor were for none but myself and/or my loved ones. Therefore, I took a big running jump and pile-drove right into it. So many leaves. It was heavenly.

At some point, Dorothy pulled out her phone and said into it, "Hey. Can you come pick me up? The guy's playing in a leaf pile and won't stop."

The conversation up until then had been boring. The leaf pile was a far better date, and I told her so. She didn't say anything to that, but she went to a street corner where I'm assuming she was picked up by whoever she called or else abducted.

Surely a real OKCupid profile excerpt posted:

I'm really good at

I am a ventriloquist. That means I can make it sound like something else is talking while keeping my own mouth closed. This is a true talent and really works. One time I used it when a gun guy was chasing me with a friend and I made it sound like my friend said something and so the gun guy shot him and not me. I sometimes compete in competitions and win cash prizes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

I want to lock this in a time capsule and show them this when their 30.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
kidna makes you wonder what's going on with Laura

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

sad things that probably did happen, sigh
.txt

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

sweeperbravo posted:

kidna makes you wonder what's going on with Laura

Laura is going to be really into BDSM in a few years. She will have sex furniture that's only kind of disguised as regular furniture. She will have one too many cats, all of whom will watch while she has sex.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

See, I feel like a kid who uses the word "rapscallion" is the exactly kind of tool who would jump in a pile of leaves. And has given serious thought to a "carpe diem" tattoo (without actually getting it.)

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I like to think "Which is sadder, the terrible thing they submitted because they think it's so cool/wacky/hardcore, or what actually happened that they're embellishing to sound cool/wacky/hardcore?" The sadder option is the one I choose to believe actually happened.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I recently got a friend drunk...he's a fairly prestigious anthropologist at a top-rated university. Not giving out his name for obvious reasons.
I asked him: "Really, do you think that women have been historically oppressed? That's the feminist claim"
He said "Utter horseshit. People in my field just have to shut our ears and try to block out this kind of poo poo. Women have had a sweet deal in every society ever studied in every era. Human men are programmed by nature to serve and protect women, and that's what they've always done. Just look at any society after a war...25% of the men killed...what would the women always do? They immediately run out and tried to find new men."
I said "yeah but women can sit there and list all the ways men have oppressed them"
He said "Yeah total bullshit. For every example of men mistreating women, I could list a hundred examples of men helping women, men protecting women. A lot of the so-called oppression of women was actually by their mothers, not men. For example foot binding and other scarification or mutilation rituals all originated with other women, not with men. The other favorite tactic by Feminist dogma is to take the harsh conditions of that time, and ascribe it all to men somehow. Like, there was a famine in the 1650 in England, people were starving to death all over, and women were oppressed because they had to get married to survive. Or they talk about how submissive Japanese women are---give me a break. Japanese women control all the money and the household with an iron fist. They work their men into the grave."
"In terms of historical accuracy, Feminism is about the same level as fanatic religious cults in the middle ages. Rich white chicks complaining about how they are oppressed. Utter crap, from top to bottom."
I said "Why don't you start a class and teach students this?" He got mad at that. "I'd lose my tenure and my income and half the friends I have. gently caress off with your suggestions"
So, we dropped the subject and drank beer. What else can ya do.
factitious disorder by proxy The Sixth Sense https://youtu.be/JqW9iC0DAHM
Never forget

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!
Anthropologist here. I think the person who wrote that may be confused about what "anthropology" is.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've known quite a few female anthropologists and heard many horror stories about the sexism rampant in that discipline, so I would actually totally believe a male anthropologist saying that when drunk. "If this goes on, I might not be able to sexually assault women during fieldwork!! :qq:"

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Sounds like they should anthropologize.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
shit_that_sadly_does_happen.txt :smith:

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Lmao @ people who believe feminism entirely boils down to "men oppressing women." Yup, definitely no more nuance to it than that.

My fave line though:
" Just look at any society after a war...25% of the men killed...what would the women always do? They immediately run out and tried to find new men.""

Yeah, ladies, if your S.O. kicks it in the war, just spend the rest of your life sitting around alone. You don't deserve to ever have a loving, romantic relationship after that, you selfish whore. If the roles were reversed, men would remain chaste forevermore, certainly!

(Also, wasn't htere like, a serious issue in the Soviet Union during the postwar years where women outnumbered men really drastically so the surviving men could kind of go with whoever they wanted and a lot of women ended up alone because there were so few men? And I would imagine this has happened for other societies as well? Man, yeah, sure sounds like a feminist paradise to me)

Leavemywife posted:

Sounds like they should anthropologize.
nice

VoteTedJameson posted:

Anthropologist here. I think the person who wrote that may be confused about what "anthropology" is.

You mean it's not just :biotruths: :biotruths: :biotruths: ??????

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

sweeperbravo posted:

Lmao @ people who believe feminism entirely boils down to "men oppressing women." Yup, definitely no more nuance to it than that.

My fave line though:
" Just look at any society after a war...25% of the men killed...what would the women always do? They immediately run out and tried to find new men.""

Yeah, ladies, if your S.O. kicks it in the war, just spend the rest of your life sitting around alone. You don't deserve to ever have a loving, romantic relationship after that, you selfish whore. If the roles were reversed, men would remain chaste forevermore, certainly!

(Also, wasn't htere like, a serious issue in the Soviet Union during the postwar years where women outnumbered men really drastically so the surviving men could kind of go with whoever they wanted and a lot of women ended up alone because there were so few men? And I would imagine this has happened for other societies as well? Man, yeah, sure sounds like a feminist paradise to me)

nice

You mean it's not just :biotruths: :biotruths: :biotruths: ??????

My favourite thing about anthropology is that all the men are complaining it's no longer a "serious" science and is being "devalued" because more women are getting into the field :allears:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I've known quite a few female anthropologists academics and heard many horror stories about the sexism rampant

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Women don't know how good they have it trying to find any means possible of trying to feed their children whose father died in war.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RNG posted:

Women don't know how good they have it trying to find any means possible of trying to feed their children whose father died in war.

Worse than death for the men is the knowledge that their widows automatically get full custody. :smith:

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Worse than death for the men is the knowledge that their widows automatically get full custody. :smith:

You know, I think those cultures that had widows jump on the pyre had an idea....

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008
haha typical MRA-style "hey, men who aren't rich/powerful have had a historically poo poo deal too... must be the fault of :supaburn: feminism :supaburn: and is definitely remedied by by rigid gender roles!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
My very smart historian friend told me that Bush did 9/11. What now, sheeple?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Yeah, this reads like it was written by a guy with no idea what he's talking about but who then attached the rant to a fictional, sexist yet somehow educated friend in an effort to both appear more convincing and hide behind an extra layer of subterfuge

Personally when my friends say lovely things, which happens kind of often, I argue with them, I don't just passively nod my head in agreement

• Locked thread