Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
It took 32 years, but I finally figured out push-ups!

Glorified Scrivener posted:

The University in the town where I live is dealing with budget cuts and while the comments section of the local newspaper's website always contains a rich vein of STDH, today they struck gold on a story about the University Library.

What could possibly lead you to question this man's badass book-writin'-farmin'-soldierin'-firefightin'-heavy-machine-operatin', software-developin' backstory or his inevitable betrayal by weak-minded cowards who were just too afraid of how he takes no poo poo and speaks his mind?

EDIT: I do believe that guy exists and told that story, there's a guy like that in almost every small town, they usually "made millions for" somebody else while getting screwed out of it somehow, also they're often working on a book and "know what's really going on around here."

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 18:12 on May 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Here's what could have happened: kid puts dollar in donation box, mom exasperatedly says "ohh that was for your snack!" because she knows that the kid is now gonna be a cranky rear end in a top hat for the rest of the trip.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
Most of that jail poo poo sounds like it totally could have happened. Maybe the part about a female guard touching herself while looking at naked prisoners but that was second-hand stdh anyway since she says another inmate say it. Most people in a jail on a typical day are gonna be what some would consider "not real criminals" although the language of 'holding a joint or two" might be hyperbole you are going to see mostly possession of small amounts of drugs, driving while license suspended, etc etc.

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Testekill posted:

Oh gently caress off, my stepdad fell 20 metres down a ventilation shaft and was in intensive care for two months afterwards.

Yeah I like how he made it 80 feet, like he could have gone with 10 or 15 feet to be in the realm of plausibility but nope its gotta be that he fell 6 to 8 stories (so I guess he was working on a cathedral ceiling)

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

jodai posted:

So I guess the guy told Kate "I know about the grad party" and she flipped out and told him her every secret instead of just saying "ok." I get what she's trying to say but because she leaves out so much as written it says her friend said she was spreading a rumor and people asked her "are you spreading a rumor?" And so her devious plan came to fruition?

This lady's writing style is the opposite of stdh, she's not pushing anything over the top, she's not watching everyone burst into tears and run away and the end is "The girls who were friends in high school don't talk much anymore".

Also am I wrong or did she "punish" one of the girls by connecting her with teachers that could help her do her college applications?

EDIT: Oh I get it, the teachers were supposed to help with scholarships to help her afford Oberlin but she didn't actually get in and jfc why have I spent this much time thinking about this

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
So what happened to the first pregnancy, is that the same pregnancy at the end, and does that mean she married a dude that she lived in sin in a drug pit with

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Congratulations on affirming racist behaviour...?

They were a sub at a table full of presumably actual (aka fully employed at the school) teachers and faculty. Sweeperbravo may want to get called to sub at that school again. Sometimes power differentials make people keep their mouth shut, no reason to guilt them for it imho.

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 1, 2016

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010

Dogfish posted:

Really it was this I was reacting to:

I understand being embarrassed or afraid, but this bit just came off as really flippant. I don't think you're a shitlord, but I don't think that last bit was necessary.

To answer your question, usually I say something like "Not unless your niece/friend/coworker works in an urban legend!" and make a joke out of it. Or I'll just be like, "Awww, that's rude!" in a light tone of voice. On the one hand, I understand and sympathise with letting things slide because I know it's hard to speak up, but on the other hand too many people who can't tell I'm Jewish tell me anti-Semitic jokes for me to excuse it. You don't have to call people out aggressively; sometimes a little pushback is all that's needed.

"Hey we need a math sub, and don't send that one that was such a jerk to Mary last time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Miracle
Mar 25, 2010
I saw on some other thread that you're not from the U.S. so you may not realize how shifty being a substitute teacher is. At least where when I did it, you don't get called in the morning, you don't get paid. When I was doing it I wouldn't have risked a school developing a bad feeling about me and maybe off handedly saying "don't send the last guy again he's a bad fit here", because as much as I hate racism I also enjoy eating and having a place to live, and if you are subbing you're probably hand to mouth. Further there ARE no "coworkers" it's just strangers you want to have neutral to good feelings about you.

It's easy to castigate someone and imagine you wouldn't have just uncomfortably laughed and resumed eating while desperately hoping the convo moves on, but it's kinda lovely imho to ignore power differentials and economic poo poo

J Miracle has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread