Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I'd like to believe the cultists going to McDonald's is true, as it's just, just uneventful enough to be true.

As last Halloween a bunch of dudes were dressed up as 16th century monks, who at 3am went to McDonald's across the street so that did look pretty surreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Coatlicue posted:

Yeah, I'm sure the manager will be telling this story for years.

That story reminds me of something that did happen~~~

When I worked in retail in the uk an American came up and wanted to pay with his card. The card machine prints receipt that needs to be signed (as with all non-chip and pin cards), I go to compare the signature to the one on the back of the card...the guy hasn't signed it, I looked at him and he got out his driver's license with his sig on. Why? The reason being he told me was he didn't want to sign the back of his loving bank/credit card.

Which in the uk will mean he'll have to get his drivers license out everything he purchases something instead of taking the extra second to scribble on the back of the card.

I put his stuff in the bag, and wished him the best of luck with his UK shopping experience with my best poo poo eating grin.

I just don't get these people who try to be funny and whacky with retail workers.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

I don't really understand why you're so smug about this. A lot of people in the US do this and use their passport/driver's license to prove who they are. It's their choice, and while I don't think it really makes any difference in whether their poo poo gets stolen, it's a matter of personal preference and not really a loving YANKS :smug: issue.

It's the weird aversion to chip & pin. It's been used in the uk for so long that signing for something just takes much longer. So not having the back of the card signed and having to pull out get another card makes the whole paying process longer, even more frustrating when there's a long queue of customers also.

The signature thing here is based solely on the retailer authorising it rather than the machine, as a security measure it's paper thin compared to a number only you know.

And it wasn't a "loving yanks" thing it was a "Christ, this guy" thing.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

It's not an aversion when the system isn't widely available. I agree chip and pin is better, though.

That's all I wanted!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I've seen that hidden weapons one before. I choose to believe it's true as it's much funnier that way :colbert:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

poo poo that happened, today I went to a Chic-fil-a, and when I got my spicy chicken deluxe, it looked exactly like the picture. It was the Brad Pitt of chicken sandwiches. I'm not that douche that takes pictures of his food, but the thing looked loving sexy. Thick, dark lettuce, and these tomato slices where perfectly circular, like half an inch thick. The chicken itself was like two shades darker than golden brown, and the pepper check cheese looked Like it came from a deli. It was kinda hard to start eating it.

I know this pain. I've had look like the picture two times before at McDonald's and subway. Step yo game up BK!

Thing that pisses me off about subway is when they tear the roof of the bread after cutting it open. Every time I look at them thinking "really? You had to tear it like a packet of crisps. You dick". As it can cause the sandwich to fall apart very easily, or get messy easily. Luckily now I'm in china where I've only ever seen two subways.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Who even says "Male Tears" it doesn't even flow as a phrase.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

"And then one of his bros ran across the street and drop-kicked me right in my fat face" would be more believable.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

bringmyfishback posted:

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. Beans and a hamburger

Despite all other things, hand writing is too neat.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Lowly posted:

Where is that thread? I could really use something like that about now.

Meanwhile, on tumblr:

Minus creativity points for:

- No standing ovation from the women across the way
- Alternately, the women across the way do not burst into a round of "Bohemian Rhapsody"
- No one notices her heroics and proposes marriage

I could believe this as it's very petty. Nothin interesting/very mundane. Also believability cred for the fact she never speaks to the guy or anyone else during.

And the woman spreading her legs on the subway thing heh sex joke and a guy shifting due to "uncomfortableness" is a physical uncomfortableness, as we don't want our leg touching someone as much as we know someone doesn't want our legs to touch them. Yeah we take up a little more space, we're just very carefree sitters as a gender.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Those guys are pro-sitters and are clearly very confident/relaxed :colbert:.

I thought green text stories are just that. Wether their true or not is often up to the reader. The arguments that happen over them is always hold though.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

Fake. Who in the Britain drinks from milk cartons?

I would occasionally when milk cartons were still a thing before the little pint sized plastic bottles came about.

Goddamn I miss a good carton of milk, that poo poo was aces.

EDIT: crying with tears from that green text story. I really want to meet the people who write these, and know if they're real.

Unlike STDH, Green text are so often way too outrageous I hope to god that they're true.

Facepalm Ranger has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jun 21, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

I saw bags of milk in Sainsburys. When you return from China buy a bag, and find a box in a lane - let the reminiscing commence.

Really? Bags of Milk? Has the UK been taken over by Americans??

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Khazar-khum posted:

Thing is, stores do cut off customers. My idiot stepmother would buy the same thing in several sizes instead of trying it on at the store, then bring the ones that didn't fit back. It got so bad some stores refused her business.

I scream, you scream...

Didn't happen. Nobody says "miss" or "sir" in retail in the uk. But points to me for figuring out she works at Thornton's I guess?

I also say 'She' as I've only ever seen women work there...hmmm

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Green text stories are supposed to be funny and the worst examples of humanity. You ruin the fun by analysing it.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Getting sick of the retail/food server/cashier stories.

No one ever speaks like these people do with all the "ma'am"s and "sir"s. I'm beginning to imagine the protagonists (if you can call them that) as the same person.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

She should have brought the Beatles instead.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Gawker Media posted:

Way back in the late 80's, I was working at a small town restaurant in rural Alberta. It was a bit of an odd set up in that it had a coffee shop/diner in the front, a bus station/convenience store/coffee counter in the middle, and an actual dining room in the back. Sort of a one-stop-shop.

I had just started working there and had only done a week or two at this point. One of the other waitresses came into the back crying and shaking. The manager asked her what was wrong and she said "*SHE* is back and in my section again." Manager tells me to take care of her instead. Gee, thanks, Manager!

So I go out to the table, not in my section, and see that this woman in her late 30's or early 40's is sitting there grinning like she's just made the best joke ever, with her hands, arms, and clothes COVERED in fish guts and blood, her hand full of bait worms. I backed off and went back into the kitchen and the other waitress tells me that she has done this before, coming in having just butchered her catches, just to mess with the other waitress because the woman knows it'll make the waitress cry and freak out. This is the first time with actual worms, though, which apparently she pulled from her pocket and shoved in the waitress' face. Manager has by this point completely disappeared.

I, being the put-up-with-zero-bullshit type of person my mother taught me to be, went back out to the table and told the woman that she was going to get her rear end out of my diner and don't come back unless she was fit to be seen in public again, and if she shoved those worms at me one more time she'd be pulling back a stump. She hollers for the manager, who is nowhere to be found, and finally stomps her way out of the restaurant, yelling and dripping fish guts the entire time.

How I didn't lose my job over this, I will never know. Eventually, the useless manager slunk his way back into the restaurant through the back door and acted like nothing ever happened.

A slightly more well thought out STDH from the fine people at Gawker. The Antagonist is just too unbelievable.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Huntersoninski posted:

Yeah. that will get him some. I'll never understand why people think throwing little baby tantrums are an effective turn on. Just loving talk to her about it.

Woah now, you're talking like this actually happened. That's dangerous thinking there!

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Let it go python-lady is a pretty good saying.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I think the author of that was an 11 year girl....from middle America.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

I think we get to bent up in calling poo poo out here and being all negative too. So here's some funny poo poo that didn't happen in the form of a "Green text" story.

Person from a certain image board posted:

>Browsing in gamestop
>Random autistic man comes up beside me and asks if I play sonic games.
>Decide to be nice
>"Uh, well used to when I was younger"
>"You should get sonic generations! it's sooo good"
>Oh, okay, maybe I will..."
>Walk away from him, only to be followed around the store until I decide to leave.
>He follows me out of the store
>I start walking away faster
>he begins to pick up his speed to keep up with me
>I eventually start speed walking
>I turn around to see him beginning to hunch forward with his arms extended horizontal behind his back like sonic
>"N-no!" I cry as I began to run at full speed
>"sooooonic....sooooonic! SOOOOONIC!!" he begins to chant as he chases me to the mall exit.
>I bust through the doors and run to my car

To this day I fear that he's still chasing me . It's only a matter of time before he catches up.

I checked the OP, it didn't say anything about Green text stories but, if it's not cool to post here I'll take it down

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Zelder posted:

That story is true, Sonic Generations is really good

:golfclap:

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Can someone explain the origins of Americans pronouncing "Herb" as "Errb"?

Seems unnecessary.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Herb (with the H pronounced) is reserved as a name for older black men.

It's all distorted in Americana!

That's good enough reason for me, true or not.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

ibntumart posted:

Or invitations.

Well, that made me laugh louder than I thought.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

"Excuse me ma'am but, we have several signs of poo poo that didn't happen in this fictitious event".

Why do they always sound like police officers?? :confused:

And of course he was applauded for his amazing ability to call out a bitch mother. I'm surprised the story didn't end with him taking the child away, raising her as his own then getting married to it all the while the same people from the restaurant never stop clapping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Found some STDH over at Kotaku UK

quote:

I worked briefly in Argos. We were briefed heavily about what we could and could not sell, how much of a fine the company and ourselves would get if we sold kids an 18 rated game and what to do if you suspected an adult was buying one for a child. It only really came up once during my brief tenure. A woman with her son, whom I would estimate to be about 7 or 8 came to the desk. Handed me her little slip with the catalogue number on it. Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories for the psp. The boy was holding his psp. I told her the name of the game. She said 'yes thats the one'. I said "Madam, are you aware this is an 18 rated game?". She said "Yes, but he's been good."

At this point I sighed and pinched the bridge of my nose.
"I'm sorry madam but I am afraid I cannot sell you this title."

"What?" she started, angry and confused "Why not?!"
"Because it is an 18 rated title and you have indicated to me you are buying it for your son here, who is clearly not 18, so by company policy and quite frankly *the law* I am unable to sell it to you."
"That's ridiculous! It's just a video game! I'm over 18!"
I reached behind me to where the psp games were, thankfully, hanging.
"A PSP game that contains..." and I point to the back of the box "'excessive violent content including gore, sexual content, sexual violence, violence towards animals, torture, drug use, excessive swearing, promotion of criminal activity..." I looked up and she was agape, just staring at me. "Madam this is a game where your son can pick up a prostitute, pay money to have sex with her in his stolen car, then beat her to death with a baseball bat to get the money back."
"I didn't know they made games like that!"
"I'm sorry madam but what did you think the 18 rating meant?"
She stared at her son for a moment. The boy looked up at her, a confused look on his face. I don't think he knew what most of what I was saying meant. He probably just wanted the game because his friends said it was cool.
"Madam if you still want the game you can go across the road to gamestation and try there. Maybe they'll be able to sell it to you."
She left the store. I didn't see if she went to gamestation.

Then everyone clapped and he got married to the woman, that argos employee? Albert Einstein.

seriously though;
Strawman character who sees the light through the story teller's calm, superior reasoning, check.
Extensive use of the term "Madam" (especially in the UK, what the gently caress.), Check.

Almost believable if it wasn't for the fact PSP games are never 'hanging' in ANY store ever. :colbert:

• Locked thread