Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Checked back quite a while, don't think I saw these ones posted.

I'd like to think this one is parody, but having read Red Pill I'm inclined to think this was made up in earnest.

edit: OOPSIE

cash crab has a new favorite as of 01:00 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Judge Tesla posted:

Yep, I believe this one, people will rip each other apart for Amiibo's and will do anything to get them, I even believe the smug "I don't like Fallout, guys!" because it's popular to have that stance in here, just read any of the Fallout threads in Games for a bit. :v:

I'm relentlessly naive so I always assume people wouldn't be so childish that they'd delight in not liking a thing that is popular. Threads like this keep me grounded.

constantIllusion posted:

I know I asked this question in the past, but why do these nerds think that people IRL applaud their lovely bon mots? Real life people only cheer and applaud at performances and sporting events, Not at a loving McDonald's.

My theory is that they assume that 99% of the time, all eyes are on them because they are so important and so interesting that naturally, their lives are like a sitcom and they are the main character. Therefore, in public spaces, instead of concentrating on what they're doing, other people are background characters waiting for this person to say their line.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

One more. Again, sorry if this is a repost. But look, applause!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Fathis Munk posted:

Cash Crab I love you.

Also stdh.txt : Me : -in total shock- or Mom : -rolls eyes shaking her head-

There's just something about putting stage directions in the dialogue that I find pretty hilarious.

:3: I helped

Gridlocked posted:

shit_that_didnt_happen.txt: and the ENTIRE thread applauded

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

No one clapped, never happened

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

^^^: What an epic humblebrag

Paladinus posted:

Eh, gave that one a whirl. Disclaimer: my voice may not in fact be all that sexy.

I loving love this. It sounds like you're reading this in a smoking jacket in front of a fire and a large book.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Steven Universe jorts

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Lowly posted:

So I looked this up, because it's hilarious and it turns out Marshmallow Girls are a thing, but it's not "the cornerstone of kawaii" or beautiful. Japan is super fat-phobic so it's a whole thing to try to get better acceptance for bigger girls. Most of the girls don't look all that fat, just a little pudgy.

There's an article about it: http://www.tokyotimes.com/make-way-marshmallows-girls-2/

It has some typical Japanese tweets in response to this phenomenon:

Also, content - not sure if srs, but it definitely didn't happen:

I'm sure no sane person alive thinks that Canada is an adorable snowy episode of loving Sesame Street. Anyway, I suspect OP was trying to pass that off as a real story because she also posted this dumbass anecdote:

I mean like, most people aren't this pithy anyway, but wouldn't that be a super hosed up joke for an old man to make to his teenaged grandchild anyway?

vvv: LOL

cash crab has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Jan 13, 2016

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Farmland Park posted:

Fine, have the most mundane and boring NAR story I could find instead:

I hate to be all :byodood: THIS CUN HAPEN but people pay in big increments a lot and are dicks about it. In my days as a cashier I'd tell them to produce other payment. When they get pissy it's hardly noteworthy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Khazar-khum posted:

Not Always Leaning:

":smug: My teacher validated my pedophilic fan fiction. How do you like them apples"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:psyduck: Jesus, you guys. I know American sex ed was bad, but yeesh.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

I'm pretty sure Sheepskin condoms are the ones that don't work guys.

:eng101: True. Sperm are not large enough to pass through the pores, but some other stuff can. For a non-latex alternative, try polyurethane! Or those sex hats from Demolition Man.

Scathach posted:

I remember in seventh grade I was the only girl that opted out of the abstinence-only sex ed. All the other girls went to look at pictures of what STDs do you your vagina and learned "how all condoms don't work" while I finished my lessons a day early. I was shocked that girls at like age 12-13ish didn't know about sex. My mom was very open with me we never did "the talk" because she wasn't an idiot and actually answered my sex questions as I grew up. Americans are loving prude idiots when it comes to sex.

That scene from OITNB where a bunch of women don't know you don't pee out your vagina makes so much more sense now

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

:smug: Bitches be crazy.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

"I am so gooder than police that they made me pinky swear not to tell anyone. They didn't even file a report, would you believe it? No record of this ever happening, anywhere. Don't bother looking it up. Secret."

:) Your grandfather would be correct.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

"legion of warrior goddesses" makes me madder than it should.

There's so many layers to this one. I like the suggestion that a grown rear end man would be completely intimidated by a bunch of children with makeup, or the relentless nods at "battle" and related terms.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Even if it's real, and even if weddings are expensive, any wedding chat especially complaints always sound super shrill to me.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

UGHHHHHHHHHH

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Cosima posted:

6 year old puppetmaster :c00lbert:

The way this is worded makes it sound like he's a 30 year old man in kindergarten.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Kind of an awkward name, but there's an entire literary stereotype about this. Also, why can't people resist the urge to make their imaginary black characters talk like stereotypes?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Dienes posted:

Ah. This is my research area. :science: IF he was talking about salivation (and since he never mentions it I don't think you can say he is), yes, the knock is a CS, the food is a US, and the salivation would be the CR/UR. However, hunger is a state, not a behavior or a reflex. At best, presenting the knock concurrently with hunger would making the knock a surrogate conditioned motivating operation, which is tied to operant behavior. He also mentions how the kids freak out when snack time is denied - that's an extinction burst, an operant phenomenon. You don't see it in Pavlovian responses. He just jumbled together a bunch of half-remembered tidbits for his STDH.

Content:

Why is it always Peter Pan that is so in tune with mental illness symptoms? Just once I want a variation with a sympathetic Gaston actor.

I've seen several iterations of this.

Also:

And then the baby looked at me

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Cosima posted:

In my cool stdh fantasy the mugger intent on murdering me is thwarted because I kicked his rear end, not because he was overwhelmed by my own patheticness.

"Okay. Just so I understand it, in your wildest fantasy, you are in Hell, and you are co-running a bed-and-breakfast with the Devil." is all I could think of.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

EmmyOk posted:

Is depression even real or is it just people who have gotten sad and watch too much TV? Hard to say imo

Uhm, pretty sure it's because Tumblr told them to.

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure it's a reasonably common issue and the amount of attention given to it made it seem more prevalent. Couple that with the fact that most people have limited understanding about it and it comes off like "wow, wacky kids these days and their cutting and their rock and roll"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I really and desperately want this to have actually happened.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

RandomAction Man posted:

Mostly, though, he just wrote.

In addition to being super cringey, this also pisses me off because this person clearly has zero understanding of schizophrenia/mental illness in general, and some of the comments involve a couple of people on that, "What if crazy people are actually the sanest of us all? hosed up if true" bent. Uggh.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Not that I didn't hear "you can't have that, it's a girl's/boy's toy" in retail a ton, but in reality the worst anyone does is glare.

I like how even if this had happened, it would have accomplished nothing. Like, that little girl doesn't get to have a guitar all of a sudden because a stranger randomly intervened by moving product around the store.

Also, that loving "schizophrenics are magic" thing has a part two, which is on the front page now. It made me think, even if one of your deceased relatives, who was very ill, left you personal notebooks, why the gently caress would you put them online?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

^^: LOL, the related products has a tiny bow and arrow. Kids toys look neat these days.

kimbo305 posted:

Ignorning that lolful made up script and language, if there were parts of the notes that were in some genuine unusual script, that looked RTL like Hebrew or Arabic, I could see sending out snippets to see if anyone online recognized it.

Yeah, but these pictures aren't doing that. They're basically saying people with mental illness are people we should either be afraid of or fascinated by, which is something I personally hoped we all got over once we stopped letting corrupt bishops run mental institutions.

Scathach posted:

Seriously. Man I really hate people that romanticize mental illness. "Look how cute and fun this terrifying, misunderstood illness is! Let's encourage people to stay off meds!"

Yep. "Wow! Mental illness is so fascinating!" Honestly, a lot of younger psych majors take on this attitude, which always pisses me off.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Bonster posted:

Right, it is fascinating. The problem is when you forget these are human beings and not case studies. Finding an illness fascinating doesn't have to objectifying the person.

Yeah, sorry, I should clarify that I'm referring to a very specific attitude where people do forget other people aren't just case studies, or they focus on the violent or scary parts of mental illness. There's a big difference from going, "I find this field really interesting," and the opposite spectrum where people act in a way similar to what other people upthread were describing, i.e.: "Wow, the mentally ill are so weird."

jodai posted:

Well, it is fascinating, in the same way that any disease is to a person who wants to help relieve it. I really hate the "what if they're the sane ones?" Mentality and I hate when any thing that's strays from a perceived norm is treated as magical or otherworldly. I would have been much more likely to believe any of that's guys nonsense if it was written plainly on notebook paper without any of the attempts at different penmanship.

This, basically is what I mean.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

That and the self-diagnosers. "I'm so boring...oh, I know! I'll act like I have multiple personalities/BPD/biploar disorder/PTSD/anxiety and people will flock to me! Mental illness is so cool!"

What was that loving thread again where that one girl was trying to convince everyone she had multiple personalities? The one with the Zelda wedding.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

Trying to find the original, but is this the one?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2566121

She's so ♡★♥☆special☆♥★♡!!!

E: found the original, my god.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1796748&highlight=

:allears: Yeah. She was 50% STDH stories and 50% hilarious sad goon. I'm entirely convinced her and the "We spend $3000 a month on Star Wars toys please help me budget my family is dying" goon are the same person.

Wanamingo posted:

Cross posting from the D&D forwarded email thread

:siren:People are now staging stdh videos:siren:

I think this story shortened my lifespan.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

What's the STDH obsession with being looked dead in the eye? Did everyone refuse to look at you growing up?

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Paladinus posted:

loving hell.

I am late to the party, but this was excellent. I love your STDH readings.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Leon Einstein posted:

McD's only recently switched to 10 piece packs. It was 4, 6, 9, or 20 in 1987.

This comment is like if comic book guy and Professor Frink had a baby

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Khazar-khum posted:

Badass Bookworm

Troper Tales are always such intensely angry power fantasies. It's hard to read sometimes. Speaking of hard to read, a short one:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

90% of STDH txt from tumblr is about black people and their comedic value, which is weird IMO

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I feel like we could start an entire thread of just STDH posts from white people who think that anyone not white exists solely to both reaffirm and counteract stereotypes. "A person who was black said something really stereotypical, but they didn't try to kill me! Gee willikers, what a world."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Filed to: BIGOTRY

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

rchandra posted:

I think our doughnut shops use a wax paper of some sort rather than tongs, that would not be enough separation for the hypothetical bigot.

The wax paper is also white.

:colbert:

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Paladinus posted:

Thought I'd drop off a quickie.

I've always wanted to do a reading but I am intimidated by your raw, awesome power. Keep up the good work, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

SEX BURRITO posted:

Mods, name change to SEX BURRITO please.

!!!

• Locked thread