Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
In the Netflix adaptation of Three-Body Problem, the show starts off present-day by telling us that particle colliders all across the world have started turning out results that completely contradict all known theory. And the response to this, globally, is "how disappointing, we might as well shut down all the particle accelerators. The scientists themselves are depressed and glum.

None of that makes any sense. All these colliders have been doing for decades is just saying over and over again in one way or another "Yep, the Standard Model is right. Good job, here's your Nobel." Having them *stop* doing that and actually show that there's *new physics* going on would be regarded as a hugely exciting development by the entire physics community. Every single one of them who looks at data from the LHC or ALBA or COSY or whatever wants to look at that data and see not confirmation of something we already know, but a signal that upends everything and gives us something unambigously beyond the standard model. In the show, they have that, and it's portrayed as grim and depressing.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Armacham posted:

Dan Snyder's watchmen would be even worse than Zach Snyder's

Oh god all the leads are in their early teens and foot shots that would make Tarantino say "That's a little much."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Dan Schneider is the disgusting piece of poo poo from Nickelodeon, not Snyder.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dana Snyder is the voice of Master Shake, that'd be a weird Watchmen too.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Dan Snyder was the owner of the Washington Commanders when they still had the racist name

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Snyder/Schneider
Tomato/Tomahtoe

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

FreudianSlippers posted:

Snyder/Schneider
Tomato/Tomahtoe

I know you are making a funny but anyone got that vid of Dan Schneider around Nickolodeon girls?

He a wrong'un on the level of Donald Trump on the world stage of WHY THE CHRIST IS THAT FATLAD LET NEAR CHILDREN JESUS SERIOUSLY?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

I mean

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Monica Bellucci posted:

I know you are making a funny but anyone got that vid of Dan Schneider around Nickolodeon girls?

He a wrong'un on the level of Donald Trump on the world stage of WHY THE CHRIST IS THAT FATLAD LET NEAR CHILDREN JESUS SERIOUSLY?

Forget Trump, we're approaching Jimmy Saville tier.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Armacham posted:

Dan Snyder was the owner of the Washington Commanders when they still had the racist name

Who, among many, many, many, many (Seriously, it never ended) other things, he was involved in some poo poo where he had the team's cheerleaders secretly filmed while they were doing a calendar photoshoot (In Costa Rica, where he had the team take their passports when they arrived, so they couldn't leave!), with the video intentionally catching them topless/nude without their permission, and Snyder then kept the video for him and his cronies (Who had also been present to watch without the cheerleaders knowing before hand or consent).

So yeah, while the previous post was probably just a typo, it's a hell of a coincidence and the idea of "Dan Snyder's Watchmen" is extremely :stare: if you know anything about that incident or just the man in general.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Forget Trump, we're approaching Jimmy Saville tier.

gently caress, you are right, he really does seem to be the American Jimmy Savile. gently caress.

Get 'im.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kinda sucks that he went from being the funny fat dude in head of the class to what appears to be a world class pedo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And there's also the people who even back then put two and two together and the resulting likelihood that he's the one who got Jamie-Lynn Spears pregnant, ending Zoey 101 and her career. Her boyfriend was two states away, and as has become clear her parents would let you do anything to their daughters for a rusty nickel.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
The Watchmen opening looked cool but it did not convey much to a viewer who didn't already know the story.

The times are changing? From uh, some state I'm not familiar with, to another I'm not familiar with? Who are all these people?

Because I'm a brain dead consumer I needed the actual origin story sequence in the movie for Doctor Manhattan to figure out his deal because I couldn't piece it together from the intro.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

The Watchmen opening looked cool but it did not convey much to a viewer who didn't already know the story.

The times are changing? From uh, some state I'm not familiar with, to another I'm not familiar with? Who are all these people?

Because I'm a brain dead consumer I needed the actual origin story sequence in the movie for Doctor Manhattan to figure out his deal because I couldn't piece it together from the intro.

Tbh Manhattan's deal is a bit more complicated than some weirdos starting to wear masks to beat up robbers. That might even be the change, things get more and more complicated.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Phanatic posted:

In the Netflix adaptation of Three-Body Problem, the show starts off present-day by telling us that particle colliders all across the world have started turning out results that completely contradict all known theory. And the response to this, globally, is "how disappointing, we might as well shut down all the particle accelerators. The scientists themselves are depressed and glum.

None of that makes any sense. All these colliders have been doing for decades is just saying over and over again in one way or another "Yep, the Standard Model is right. Good job, here's your Nobel." Having them *stop* doing that and actually show that there's *new physics* going on would be regarded as a hugely exciting development by the entire physics community. Every single one of them who looks at data from the LHC or ALBA or COSY or whatever wants to look at that data and see not confirmation of something we already know, but a signal that upends everything and gives us something unambigously beyond the standard model. In the show, they have that, and it's portrayed as grim and depressing.

The entire show presents science as this kind of drab office job that no one really enjoys. Every single character whose a scientist shows no loving enthusiasm for the amazing events taking place around them or any inquisitiveness or scientific method when confronted by these events.

For example when one of the scientist sees the countdown projected on her optic nerve she just gets sad and accepts it, rather than loving doing test or trying to figure out it's limits or origin. When she's told that the countdown will end if she cancels her big science project this is news to her, despite the fact she could of checked when the countdown ended and discovered it corresponded with her big pre-planned demonstration of said science project, so she'd at least of linked the two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Tbh Manhattan's deal is a bit more complicated than some weirdos starting to wear masks to beat up robbers. That might even be the change, things get more and more complicated.

That's how the first Nite Owl sums it up. Costumed vigilantism had been fun and exciting and he even felt like he had done some good. Then suddenly he's standing next to a man who can reorder matter with a thought, and all he has is a good right hook. And it's no longer about punching a few bank robbers and tying them up for the cops. The Comedian is working for the government directly and they're all getting co-opted into political ventures because they're American Heroes - except the ones who aren't, who are getting conveniently sidelined or killed.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PriorMarcus posted:

The entire show presents science as this kind of drab office job that no one really enjoys. Every single character whose a scientist shows no loving enthusiasm for the amazing events taking place around them or any inquisitiveness or scientific method when confronted by these events.

See also the science consultants brought on to help save the world. “We need to launch something really fast right now!”

Killjoys. “That’s impossible.” “That would cost too much money.” “We might be able to do it with a slow incremental research project in 100 years or so.” Fire those fuckers. Any real scientist would be drooling at unlimited budget to do crazy poo poo. You went looking for Freeman Dyson and Ted Taylor and got Neil DeGrasse Tyson.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

From what I remember other people posting, Three-Body Problem is a really really bad book so it's no surprise that the show isn't any better. Disclaimer, I've never read it and am going off of my admittedly poor memory.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Marcade posted:

From what I remember other people posting, Three-Body Problem is a really really bad book so it's no surprise that the show isn't any better. Disclaimer, I've never read it and am going off of my admittedly poor memory.

The trilogy was a Big Ideas work with two-dimensional (get it, readers?) characters and contrived tension. The prose was workmanlike at best, but that could be an issue with translation. Misogyny shot through the text like veins through marble. Not a good set of books.

Perhaps ironically, the most complete and effective scene is the first one in the first book, when a "counterrevolutionary" is handled by one of Mao's youth brigades. Has nothing to do with the Big Ideas of the trilogy.

Big Ideas can be interesting, but alone they have a hard time justifying the existence of the work. Take Dune, for example -- one of my favorite books, so I'm attacking a friend here -- most of the book's appeal is in the worldbuilding, in the glimpses of the far future that we get to see. But Herbert is smart enough to outfit the story with archetypal characters who evoke audience reaction as expected, and a story is thereby strung together through their actions and pains. Done with a little less substance or skill, Dune would be an also-ran sci-fi doorstopper.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Actually most of the appeal of Dune is tripping balls in the desert.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Better than tripping balls in the dessert. Good way to drown in custard.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Phanatic posted:

I don't know, what exactly are they supposed to be using the accelerators for if the results are completely random? I think one of them says it themself that there's no point in using enough energy to power a small town if the output is meaningless. It's not like they were getting an unexpected result under certain conditions, something they could test over and over and try to suss out the cause. Every time they run any experiment they get wildly different results with no correlation to the initial conditions. The scientists know something huge and unprecedented has happened to change our observation of particle physics across the globe but they're blind to actually investigate it. I'd be depressed too, honestly.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Hardcordion posted:

The scientists know something huge and unprecedented has happened to change our observation of particle physics across the globe but they're blind to actually investigate it. I'd be depressed too, honestly.

It's presented with all the depth of a standard office job though, like the loving printer isn't working so you can't file your next shipping document properly.

There's no hunger to know what's going on.

These 5 characters come together, who are supposedly all geniuses, and they are less interested in the complete dissolution of particle physics, the sky blinking, and one of them seeing an ominous countdown and more in talking about whose loving who now or who the boss liked more.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

PriorMarcus posted:

It's presented with all the depth of a standard office job though, like the loving printer isn't working so you can't file your next shipping document properly.

These 5 characters come together, who are supposedly all geniuses, and they are less interested in the complete dissolution of particle physics, the sky blinking, and one of them seeing an ominous countdown and more in talking about whose loving who now or who the boss liked more.

Have you seen Oppenheimer honhonhonhon.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

FreudianSlippers posted:

Snyder/Schneider
Tomato/Tomahtoe
Both get very excited when they hear "Washington Football Team"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Marcade posted:

Better than tripping balls in the dessert. Good way to drown in custard.

I think he was shot actually.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Moreover, if stuff we do in colliders today started yielding different results than it does today, holy poo poo I cannot overstate how revolutionary that would be. If the results started coming out “random,” that would be the biggest thing to happen in science since the atom bombs. We would be running experiments non-stop to see just how random the results were, if there were any trends, if there were any regression towards historical means. The theorists would be pulling all-nighters to figure out just what the gently caress is going on, they’d be on constant feedback with the experimentalists, and the word “miracle” would be used with increasing frequency. *Particle physics suddenly turning random* would have enormous philosophical, epistemological, and theological implications (does nuclear power still work? Why? What about nuclear weapons?) and someone is going to say “wait a second, this could actually be an attack.”

I can see physicists being depressed when the last run of the accelerator just confirms everything you already knew to another decimal place and there’s still not a hint of evidence for SUSY or anything else beyond the standard model. But in the situation in the show? Exhilaration, excitement, wonder, confusion, trepidation, fear, terror? Sure. But not depressed resignation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah this is the sort of poo poo where you get fundamental particles, units, or forces named after you if you figure anything at all out

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Jedit posted:

That's how the first Nite Owl sums it up. Costumed vigilantism had been fun and exciting and he even felt like he had done some good. Then suddenly he's standing next to a man who can reorder matter with a thought, and all he has is a good right hook. And it's no longer about punching a few bank robbers and tying them up for the cops. The Comedian is working for the government directly and they're all getting co-opted into political ventures because they're American Heroes - except the ones who aren't, who are getting conveniently sidelined or killed.
Nite Owl I, Hollis Mason, was a cop, and did costumed vigilantism between shifts.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
does the original author have a science background? sounds like theyre going from one of the pop culture tropes of scientist are beepboop emotionless bots and not passionate people in their particular niche.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

PhazonLink posted:

does the original author have a science background? sounds like theyre going from one of the pop culture tropes of scientist are beepboop emotionless bots and not passionate people in their particular niche.

the author is pretty famously a crazy wizard hobo

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Can you apply for that?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rockman Reserve posted:

the author is pretty famously a crazy wizard hobo

Think they meant Cixin Liu, not Alan Moore

E: but hey maybe Cixin Liu is a crazy wizard hobo too I ain't judging

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bookpilled is a dude that reviews almost exclusively sci-fi books, and he hated Three Body Problem. I don't think I've seen him this worked up about any other book (maybe The Sparrow?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNdNZBVtF4

I go through his top 15 list pretty regularly and he always has good recommendations, if you're looking for something to read.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

All I remember from the book is the bald prose, the huge disparity between protagonists in terms of actual characterization, and a climax that is both gruesome and laughable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

lord funk posted:

Bookpilled is a dude that reviews almost exclusively sci-fi books, and he hated Three Body Problem. I don't think I've seen him this worked up about any other book (maybe The Sparrow?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piNdNZBVtF4

I go through his top 15 list pretty regularly and he always has good recommendations, if you're looking for something to read.

I am irrationally irritated that a Top 15 list is a 32-minute long video.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Because I hate myself, I decided to read the semi sequel of The Color Purple, which is The Temple of My Familiar. It's a mish mosh of stories where some of the original cast appears, but there's a bit about Olivia in the last days of the Olinka village.

There's some English assholes there, and one of them kisses her. She pushes him away, that's the end of it. Now at this point the village is gutted, most of the Olinka have disappeared or joined with rebels, the remaining ones are slaves in all but name, working the land for the English. And one of the few young men sees this kiss, but not the push. And decides he needs to punish her for being so friendly to the invaders. As it's put delicately, a kiss was not enough, and she finds out she's pregnant a few months later.

Nowhere is this called as rape, and even later in the book she and her adult daughter meet with the man again, and everything is fine between them, and they all love each other. Like, I'm sorry, but WHAT. Olivia even mentions that she knows very well what happened to her bio-mom and how she was conceived. But it's just brushed aside that this dude did that to her.

I need to stop reading sequels.

I haven't seen the new movie yet. Anyone know how deep/close it matches the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Phanatic posted:

I am irrationally irritated that a Top 15 list is a 32-minute long video.

2 mins per book is too long for you? He doesn't even have useless intros to any of his videos.