Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Does Netflix really just have one or two people making all of their show intros? Or is it just one or two people that decided that they all have to look exactly the same for every single show?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FFT posted:

Does Netflix really just have one or two people making all of their show intros? Or is it just one or two people that decided that they all have to look exactly the same for every single show?

Netflix only paid for access to one LLM.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Biplane posted:

Netflix only paid for access to one LLM.
This has been going on since at least Daredevil (2015)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

lord funk posted:

2 mins per book is too long for you? He doesn't even have useless intros to any of his videos.

Yea I watched that one and it's a good list - and I absolutely agree with his number one choice.
Roadside Picnic is perfection.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Okay furthermore, why the gently caress does 3 Body Problem have a "this season on:" bit before the credits?? It's a Netflix show that dropped all at once!

Also, episode 2, this is the point at which this dish is apparently aimed precisely at the center of the Sun:

(I understand that if they actually used a real one you probably wouldn't actually want to aim it exactly at the center of the Sun)

oh god dammit the third episode has the bullshit where somehow it's got borders on the sides or the top and bottom so you need a taller window for it to hit the sides instead of filling the window as you'd expect for no loving reason!!!!

loving 4th episode was back to how it should be, 5th episode is hosed again, how does a platform gently caress this up on their own platform!?

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:23 on Mar 27, 2024

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All the people I know who read Three Body Problem when it first came out had two reactions:

1) 'Wow, a SF book out of China. It's really different from Western works in how it treats everything.'

2) Several months later - 'It's bad.'

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

All the people I know who read Three Body Problem when it first came out had two reactions:

1) 'Wow, a SF book out of China. It's really different from Western works in how it treats everything.'

Spot on.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'd bet William Gibson read it before putting out The Peripheral ~six years later but I've only watched the shows for each.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The best single sentence summary of the Three-Body Problem I've ever read was "The book's not about the interesting part."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
quiet place:

why the gently caress didn't they live near the waterfall of permitted sound

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

8one6 posted:

the Three-Body Problem

Please do not discuss my failed attempts at group sex

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Alan Smithee posted:

quiet place:

why the gently caress didn't they live near the waterfall of permitted sound

for the same reason they lined up the family in the start of the movie: parent holding sick kid, parent with supplies, deaf girl, 4 year old.

trying to get rid of some mouths to feed.

i did enjoy the prequel part of the second movie, where poo poo starts with the aliens landing. how terrifying it was, especially the utter chaos in silence for the deaf girl. but it was ruined by the rest of the movie. and the mom not knowing how to drive because she kept looking over her shoulder to comfort the four year old and wouldn't loving watch the road! lady, shut up and focus, you literally almost run into a bus because you keep talking to a little kid who doesn't look that upset!

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Armacham posted:

Dan Snyder's watchmen would be even worse than Zach Snyder's
Dan Schneider's Watchmen spends the first 45-minutes on Dr. Manhattan pouring chemicals on a 15-year old Silk Spectre's feet to try and give her superpowers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I've only read the summary for the Three-Body Problem out of curiousity but given it's extremely pessimistic view of life in the universe, I don't think I'd want to ever read it. I mean, maybe the actual writing is more hopeful but this incredibly nihilistic/xenophobic universe it creates is not one I'd want to spend time in.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
you think that is then try the HARD SCIFI about the techno vampires goons always recommend

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I don't remember if Blindsight is a Dark Forest take, but I think it wasn't?

"Dark Forest hypothesis", if you want to look it up, is a "solution" to the Fermi paradox where everyone else in the galaxy stays silent because the ones that don't live to briefly regret it.

stringless has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Mar 27, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Blindsight is its own wild thing, where it's relatively incidental they discovered vampires are real and gave them.jobs

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

FFT posted:

I don't remember if Blindsight is a Dark Forest take, but I think it wasn't?

No it's basically wondering if consciousness is an evolutionary dead-end and actually pointless. Also there are vampires.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Morpheus posted:

No it's basically wondering if consciousness is an evolutionary dead-end and actually pointless. Also there are vampires.
can you even imagine being an engineer/designer for a spaceship that can't have any visible 90° intersections lmao

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

FFT posted:

can you even imagine being an engineer/designer for a spaceship that can't have any visible 90° intersections lmao

you've got it backwards i think, if anything they made sure the ship had more of those

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Crespolini posted:

you've got it backwards i think, if anything they made sure the ship had more of those
Okay maybe, but in like, the bridge section or whatever section it was the vampire used. Perfectly reasonable to confine him there via external 90°

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

lord funk posted:

2 mins per book is too long for you? He doesn't even have useless intros to any of his videos.

It's a list. A list of 15 items can be read in about two seconds. With the additional critical material, all the content in the video could be read in a couple of minutes.

This isn't a gripe directed at him, it's just the way the world works now, but the single worst aspect about the monetization of content is how it incentivizes everyone to turn a few paragraphs of text into a loving video.

Alan Smithee posted:

you think that is then try the HARD SCIFI about the techno vampires goons always recommend

Pellegrino's The Killing Star is the ultimate Prisoner's Dilemma sci-fi.

Phanatic has a new favorite as of 14:38 on Mar 27, 2024

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

FFT posted:

Okay maybe, but in like, the bridge section or whatever section it was the vampire used. Perfectly reasonable to confine him there via external 90°

didn't want there to be any safe spaces, i guess. didn't work out so well ofc, but at that point there were bigger problems.

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Phanatic posted:

It's a list. A list of 15 items can be read in about two seconds. With the additional critical material, all the content in the video could be read in a couple of minutes.

This isn't a gripe directed at him, it's just the way the world works now, but the single worst aspect about the monetization of content is how it incentivizes everyone to turn a few paragraphs of text into a loving video.

Pellegrino's The Killing Star is the ultimate Prisoner's Dilemma sci-fi.

Dude, 2 minutes per book is fine. If you just want a list by some random you could read it in 30 seconds. I assume the guy is gonna summarize and justify why each book is on the list. Feels like you got a beef with some other kind of content, but this is perfectly reasonable.

Andos El Pantos
May 7, 2004
"Here is a list of 15 books, no I will not tell you anything about them. Goodnight. "

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, it's pretty weird to rage against content and then put down what is basically a book report trying to give more than [title, author, year of publication]

The latter is the kind of listicle bullshit I associate way more with the content industry today. Not saying that bloat isn't real too, though.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Also, if you just want the titles without any information theres a list under the video. No need to watch it at all! Even More time saved!

I for one would like to know a bit about the books and why they are on the list.

Fakeedit: He doesnt even do an intro or anything. No "Hi Guys welcome back to my channel!!! Dont forget to like and subscribe!!" at the start or anything! This is about as good as it gets with youtube videos.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

FFT posted:

"Dark Forest hypothesis", if you want to look it up, is a "solution" to the Fermi paradox where everyone else in the galaxy stays silent because the ones that don't live to briefly regret it.
I'm not a scientician or anything but I don't think this is a well founded idea lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

State of Play: ok so Russell Crowe is a bachelor journalist, lives alone, kinda sloppy, and he makes mashed potatos from ready powder. wtf. only an insane person would do that. either you make them from scratch for a whole meal with other people or you dont make them at all. especially not alone by yourself. cook some pasta or rice or even plain potatos. loving psycho

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm not a scientician or anything but I don't think this is a well founded idea lol

i dont think you can well-found any idea in that metaphorical space. whether extraterrestrial life exists or not is basically metaphysics or religion. either you think its likely or you dont think it is

if you think "they gotta be out there somewhere" and you are confounded by the fact that we havent seen anything, the dark forest is an explanation. you could also be underestimating time/distance. and so on.

personally i think they received our unsolicited nudes and decided to ghost us

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Carthag Tuek posted:

State of Play: ok so Russell Crowe is a bachelor journalist, lives alone, kinda sloppy, and he makes mashed potatos from ready powder. wtf. only an insane person would do that. either you make them from scratch for a whole meal with other people or you dont make them at all. especially not alone by yourself. cook some pasta or rice or even plain potatos. loving psycho

It's adapted from a British tv show and I'm sad to inform you that for a very long time dehydrated mash was considered acceptable here.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
These being rather famous for quite a while.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Carthag Tuek posted:

Instant mashed potatoes was the only thing I ate from like age 17 to 24. They cost a dollar, you add hot water, bam complete meal.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Carthag Tuek posted:

personally i think they received our unsolicited nudes and decided to ghost us

Pioneer 10 and 11 bore plaques portraying two naked humans and a schematic of local pulsars allowing triangulation of where the solar system was

Or as we would call it now, nudes and directions to our house

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

FFT posted:

Reminds me of an old Reddit nosleep story about us sending radio signals into space & after a while, getting one reply back: BE QUIET OR THEY WILL HEAR YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Also there was an entire children's show based around them in the UK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xa3EFIZZUw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Fil5000 posted:

It's adapted from a British tv show and I'm sad to inform you that for a very long time dehydrated mash was considered acceptable here.

credburn posted:

Instant mashed potatoes was the only thing I ate from like age 17 to 24. They cost a dollar, you add hot water, bam complete meal.

tbh i think the "british food is bland" meme is overplayed. ive had a lot of excellent british food. but lol that that detail made it into the american film version

even at my poorest i only ate powdered mashed potatos once. oat meal with hot sauce ftw

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Phy posted:

Pioneer 10 and 11 bore plaques portraying two naked humans and a schematic of local pulsars allowing triangulation of where the solar system was

Or as we would call it now, nudes and directions to our house

thats what im saying

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Powdered potet stappe owns actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i think the "british food is bland" meme is overplayed. ive had a lot of excellent british food. but lol that that detail made it into the american film version

even at my poorest i only ate powdered mashed potatos once. oat meal with hot sauce ftw

hell yeah savory oatmeal.