Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rurea posted:

So in The Matrix, why do the Agents have such lovely aim? They aren't even human! They are literally sentient computer programs so you would think as part of their programming they would have perfect aim with a firearm. The machines would never have to worry about red pills because Smith could just cap fuckers from 200 yards out.

Also, why was it a big deal in the second/third one that Smith "came back"?

He's a loving computer program, why wouldn't he have a backup? I'll allow that Neo hosed up his file system so bad that a simple "un-delete" wouldn't work, but surely this super advanced AI is taking nightly backups, yes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I love Galaxy Quest. It's probably the perfect combination of satire and love letter to Star Trek and similar shows/movies.

But the whole idea that these aliens don't understand TV/movies really falls apart if you look closely at it.

If all they had ever seen was the Galaxy Quest show, I could let it pass. But the little Gilligan's Island joke makes it clear that they have seen plenty of broadcasts from Earth. So I find it hard to believe they couldn't have pieced together that it was all fake, what with poo poo like interviews with actors, directors, "Making of" and "Behind the Scenes" specials, TV shows and movies that are about making other TV shows and movies, etc...

Not to mention all the other shows and movies they would have seen that contradict each other/take place in different time periods/etc...

Even if they didn't figure out that it was all some sort of "fabrication," they should have at least thought that the people they saw were "re-creating" the real adventures of the Galaxy Quest crew, and then been all like,
"Well where the gently caress is the real crew and spaceship?"

And then there's the whole,

"How could they big an Omega 13 device" when, judging from the snippets of dialogue we heard, it was never really explained that well on the show itself?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Why is Magneto hella ripped?

Because Rob Liefeld:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

malal posted:

Back on the video game thing, there's a powerful scene in Breaking Bad where Jessie is having a PTSD flashback while playing a light-gun video game. It was well shot and well done, but the game he was playing was RAGE, and that just threw me. It was cool to see a proper IP, it just didn't mesh that they changed a FPS to a railed light-gun shooter.

And since Breaking Bad takes place "in the past" by anywhere from a few months to a few years (aside from the first season,) it technically wasn't released yet in the Breaking Bad world.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

INH5 posted:

Also, I didn't think of this until the NC video pointed it out, but it really does drastically undermine the whole plot of the movie: why didn't William H. Macy just tell the authorities about what happened so they could send in search and rescue teams? Because that's the usual response to a kid getting lost in the wilderness, and I don't see any reason why this situation would be different.

I think it was because they were scared of repercussions because Isla Nubar (Isla Sorno?) was off limits. But IIRC, they hired a legit "sightseeing" company, who's whole deal was that they kept the boat out of the restricted waters, and just used a para-sail in the hopes you'd see a dinosaur from a couple miles away, or something. So it wasn't actually illegal.

So just your garden variety plot-hole...especially since once Ellie knows she IMMEDIATELY gets the loving Marines to plow in there and rescue everyone, so it's not like the US Government is against rescuing people from the island, even if they ARE they illegally, which Dr.Grant and everyone else (save the kid,) actually are.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I believe a similar mistake was made in an episode of Babylon 5.

I'm wondering if it was a legit mistake, or a nod to Die Hard.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

In of the Jaws sequels the shark has flashbacks of getting blown up my Roy Scheider.

It's not the shark, it's Roy Scheider's wife.

But to be fair, she wasn't there, either.

Jaws: The Revenge is just one giant shithole of a movie, though. Worse than Jaws 3D.

First off, we have to somehow accept that the shark in this movie is perhaps a descendant of the one from the first and/or second Jaws, otherwise why else would it have a "shark-grudge" against the Brody family? But then that leaves us asking how a shark can even hold a grudge in the first place, and how it knows who the Brody's are, etc...

And then how dose the shark travel nearly as fast as a plane to get to Florida from New England after the Brody's fly there How does it even know to go there in the first place?! It's "Brody-Sense" can span thousands of miles?

And if a killer shark is stalking them, why don't they just never go back into the loving ocean?

Why does the shark roar like a lion crossed with Godzilla?

Why does it loving explode after being rammed by a piece of wood?

Edit: Cleaned up some stuff.

V V V Second edit: Hey ,you got that in there before my first edit...I'm trying to decide if that makes it better or worse...like, till then, the Jaws franchise was relatively grounded in reality...and why dose this Voodoo Witch Doctor care about killing the Brodys? Was HIS mother the shark from the first one? Half-shark Voodoo Witch Doctor? V V V

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Jun 30, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

The movie's not even out yet, and i already hate Lucy.

I'm pretty sure the very first line in the trailer is Morgan Freeman saying that Lucy is the first person to use more than 10% of her brain.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

One of the stories was about a guy who made billions selling a fake cure at the beggining of the outbreak, but at the end there wasn't really any miracle cure.

Yeah, he capitalized on the fact that it was initially reported as a strain of rabies, and his company sold a repackaged/reformulated rabies vaccine. He didn't feel he did anything wrong since it was the scientists and media who reported the wrong disease.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I haven't seen Outbreak in ages but isn't he just distracted? I'm sure he's looking at something else and just sticks his hand in not realising it's still spinning.

Which is still dumb, because 90% of centrifuges won't let you open the lid when it's spinning.

I mean, yeah, these little tiny ones will:

But I'm pretty sure he's using a larger, more "fancy" one that wouldn't let him.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Who What Now posted:

Are you sure that wasn't just the explanation from the 90s cartoon? That's why he could walk in Genosha, the country where all the non-dinosaur mutants lost their powers.

You're thinking of The Savage Lands.

Genosha is like a mutant island country ruled by Magneto...or at least was for a time, I haven't kept up with X-Men comics at all.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Speaking of runways, what's up with that one at the start of Goldeneye?

Bond bungee jumps from the top of a dam to the bottom, works his way through the facility, and then exists out the back which is now somehow on top of a huge loving mountain.

What?

Here's the opening shot of the dam:

(Though nice foreshadowing with the plane righrt there.)

Here's when he comes out of the bottom of the dam:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Celery Face posted:

Every single lovely 2000's movie involving dogs would have the "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yay bow wow yippie yo yippie yay" part from Atomic Dog (which I recently learned isn't a rap song even though it has been sampled a billion times) in the trailer.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also "Who Let the Dogs Out?"

Here's a post I made in a TVIV thread about annoying commercials that hits all the right marks for you two:

DrBouvenstein posted:

If I could go back and time and erase any two songs from existence, I might have to choose "Atomic Dog" by George Clinton and the P.gently caress, and "Who let the Dogs Out?" by the Baja Men.

:v:"Oh, hey, there is a dog and/or dogs in this movie...we need a song to play over the trailer to remind people of said dogs, even though the word 'Dog' or 'Dogs' is probably in the title of the movie. What song do we use?"

:haw:"Well...there's a song about letting dogs out...we'll have to play that over a scene of the dog and or dogs running, ideally after they have been :airquote: let out :airquote: of a room, car, back of a truck, etc..."

:v:"Great! Put it in there! Oh, and we should also play that one line of a song that goes "Bow wow yo yippie yay yippie yo" over scenes of the dog and/or dogs just generally being "goofy" and doing things one would not expect a dog and/or dogs to do."

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The T-1000 doesn't really make a lot of sense.

It's better to think of him as composed of billions of nanobots, i.e. "grey goo."

They can mimic flesh (or at least mimic it enough to fool the time machine,) but aren't advanced enough to make themselves into "new" electronics. Since each one is it's own "bot," they all have the micro-iest of microscopic CPUs, and some sort of shared, wireless, processing. Hence why pieces can move around on their own.

By the time of T3, the nanobots have improved to the point where they can combine into complex electronics.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

ultrabindu posted:

That was such an odd episode.

If i remember right, it was going to be a recurring plotline (rooting out who was an undercover alien and whatnot,) but they decided to drop it.

And I agree re: the holodeck and sentience. Everyone goes on about Data being so high and mighty, but even the most basic, throw-away hologram appears quite capable of human emotion.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I always wondered how she was also able to copy clothing. Is the clothing just part of her?

Yes.

She is essentially always naked.

Though my understanding is her "copying" is good enough that it actually feels and behaves like clothing.

Hell, even when she copied Wolverine in the first movie, she had claws that, while not as sharp as adamantium, still could cut...or am I imagining that she actually cut anything with them?

But yeah, even if she has a sub-conious "perfect copy" thing, I would think she'd still have to at least touch Trask to get copy his fingerprints...and also copy the Professor's eye in the first movie to get access to Cerebro. Though I guess thanks to First Class and DoFP it's established that she has had lots of physical contact with Xavier, so that works, I guess,.

DrBouvenstein has a new favorite as of 21:30 on Oct 8, 2014

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Esroc posted:

EDIT: Related, Buffy The Vampire Slayer, which got it kind of right. Buffy gets pulled back to the mortal realm from Heaven and straight up hates her friends for yanking her out of paradise.

And going beyond that, it's clear that it's VERY HARD to get brought back "normal." I mean...even Buffy was sort of catatonic for a while, but at least was a regular human.

Getting brought back as "something else," isn't so hard. Vampirism, a ghost, becoming part-demon then ascending to another plane of existence then being brought back, all manner of zombie, etc...but to come back as a regular human takes not only special circumstances (dying in a "supernatural" manner) but also a very powerful spell, hard to find/expensive relics for the spell, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I also wouldn't say it was directly after the end of TDK that he goes into hiding, they just say it was after the Dent Act gets passed which let them do the whole indefinite detention for mobsters thing.

It appears that the 4th amendment is very different in the Nolan-verse.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

How in the world did they get blood of an aquatic dinosaur from a mosquito?

Hell, for that matter, the sheer variety of dinosaurs they have is absurd. A mosquito has to suck the dinosaurs blood, then, before it digests the blood, it has to land on some sap, AND get stuck in the sap, AND that particular bit of sap has to get turned into amber, AND then some miners have to find that one particular piece of amber.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Or the one where the cops have absolutely no evidence, but trick a confession out of someone with no lawyer present after hours of questioning.

To be fair, this one happens in real life all the loving time.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I like SVU because every once in a while their horrible methods come to bite them in the rear end.

I think it was a season premiere or finale for season...8? 9? (After I stopped watching it regularly, at any point) where that is the basic premise of the episode.

Some lawyer decides the best way to win for his client is dredge up all the shirt the SVU members have done, like Olivia helping her brother when he was a suspect in a sex crime, Stabler using his cop cred to get his daughter off of DUI charges, etc...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

NorgLyle posted:

It was the season finale of season 8. And by that time I hated pretty much every character on that show who wasn't John Munch so I was praying that they'd actually follow through on the ending where they all seemed to be screwed. But of course they didn't. Luckily, however, that led to season nine's "Avatar"; the funniest episode of television ever produced. SVU is the worst.

I had to double-check that this is the one i was thinking of, and yup...that one was absurd.

It starts with a guy raping his girlfriend's sister (who they lives with,) but then it totally wasn't his fault because he suffers from sleep-sexing...like sleepwalking, but...well, you know. That's just the cold open, cause the actual mystery is totally unrelated; the guy's girlfriend is just randomly missing, and kidnapped by a guy because her avatar in their Second Life knock-off looked like some girl he kidnapped like 20 years ago.

Like...WTF was the reason for that cold open? And for some reason, even though when they found the girl in a storage unit OWNED by the guy that kidnapped her, and she SAID he kidnapped and raped her, he couldn't be arrested right away? So they had to find some cabin he owned, which OBVIOUSLY he also made a copy of in Second Life, to find this girl he kidnapped who's now old and crazy because she thinks he went out for coffee and is coming back anytime now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Saw a really stupid SVU moment today, Munch and Finn were trying to keep an eye on a guy at some amusement park and the guy ducks into a spookhouse ride. Instead of just waiting outside for some reason they get on too. Unsurprisingly they lose him.

Oh man, that episode is one of the best SVU episodes, so long as we're describing "best" as "rear end-craziest."

There were a few episodes that season where some crime scene tech, Stuccy, kept loving things up. Including this episode. Some schizophrenic snapped and was killing people he thought were involved in some government conspiracy to kill/silence him. But he gets off because Stuccy contaminated some evidence.

They follow the perp to Coney Island, and we get that ridiculous scene in the fun house, then another body, with Stuccy all proud that he got a good piece of evidence and didn't mess it up.

Eventually, the perp goes crazier and sets up traps to murder the SVU crew, his lawyer and a judge. The lawyer dies, the judge survives. They find a mosquito in the judge's car with blood that HAS to be from the perp. Munch even meets up with an old ex-wife of his who is super-bonkers and he basically emotionally manipulates her hardcore to get some info on the perp. Finn made some comment about how cold it was.

At the end of the episode, we are in the crime lab, and

The crime scene tech that has been in a lot of episodes is dead from a stab would, because we see on the computer screen that the blood in the mosquito belongs to Stuccy, because (as he explains to Stabler,) he was sick of people not taking him seriously so he killed some people to frame the perp. He only gets caught because Olivia calls Stabler, Stuccy answers and is all "Oh, Stabler's in the bathroom, and we eating sushi!" and Olivia knows Stabler would NEVER eat Sushi. She then pulls out the old cliched "Oh, Stuccy, you're right, let's kill Stabler, I love you, give me the knife!" BS and it works and Stuccy gets killed.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

IUG posted:

I finally realized how Quill's adopted parents found him so fast when he was floating in space without his helmet (the art dealer told him where he went, so they were on the way already).

They were actually already there. Right as they come out of The Collector's museum/collection area, Yondu is right there and yelling at Quill, but then Ronan shows up so it's easy to not notice he's there.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation where they find Scotty (who's previous ship crashed; he was able to keep himself "inside" the transporter for decades to stay alive.)

At one point, Geordi tells Picard it'll take X hours to do something, and Scotty asks him how long it will really take, and Geordi gives him a weird look (well...as close to a weird look one can give when wearing that visor,) and says X hours. Scotty then berates him and says that's no way to be an engineer...you always say at least double so you look really good when you get it done in "half" the time.

Sort of a nice nod/jab to times when Kirk would be all "well, you've only got Y hours!" and yet it miraculously still got done.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

dpack_1 posted:

Generic "incoming call" phone screens.

I know we all hate blatent product placement but it bugs the gently caress out of me when there is a close up of a very obvious iPhone / Samsung / HTC / Whatever phone body, but its sitting with a generic flashing "Incoming Call" and a studio quality photo of the actor making said call on it.

Related to this was the most recent season of 24 (24: Live Another Day.)

The 24 universe is, at this point, anywhere from 3 to 8 years ahead of our own. Yet all the government agents use HTC phones from 2013.

Budget cutbacks, I guess?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Polaron posted:

Also Ichabod's fish out of water thing is actually hilarious. He makes friends with the OnStar lady.

I've only seen maybe the first half of season 1, but what I liked about what I saw was that they don't do the typical thing where the traveler from the past is dumbfounded by everything he sees. He's not going around, pointing at lightbulbs and asking why that candle looks funny, or why they are tiny men in that box playing music, or thinking that a car is a demon, or has a horse hidden inside, or something.

He was a smart, well-educated man, and basically immediately understands he's in the future and technology has advanced. He'll still ask questions and be confused, but not in a way that makes you think he's retarded.

He also doesn't typically respond to a metaphor or pop-culture reference he doesn't understand (which is most of them,) by saying something stupid and groan-worthy because it took it 100% literally.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Boz0r posted:

I though France won the war for the USA, and those ungrateful brats just makes fun of the country that gave them independence.

We made it up to them about 160 years later.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

In boy meets world the dad is a manager at a supermarket and the mom doesn't work and they have four kids including Shawn... How can they afford that house? Philly suburb in that nice of a neighborhood that's like a $600k home

But on the other hand, Boy Meets World gets credit for pulling a reverse Chuck Cunningham. (Or more accurately, pulls a Chuck Cunningham, but then undoes it.)

In the first 1 or 2 seasons, Cory has a little sister, maybe 5 or 6 years old. But then she just vanishes for several seasons. At which point she then shows back up again as a 10 or 11 year old and merely states she was in her room for a long time.

They did something similar with another character. Again, in the first couple season there was the stereotypical "nerdy" classmate who wore thick glasses, knew the answer to tall of My.Feeny's questions, and was just downright annoying. Again, he vanished at the end of season 1 or 2.

Then they just had him appear out of nowhere in the episode where they all graduated high school.

(I know way too much about Boy Meets World as a kid.)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

sharts posted:

time travel does not exist

It does, the problem is we can only go forward, and only within a very, very, VERY tiny range of speeds.

But technically, if you take a LOT of long trips on planes (or even better, in orbit), you'll experience "less time" than other people. So...uhh...if you want to live as long as possible (at least, from other people's perspective, you'll still experience 80 years as 80 years,) always stay in a fast moving plane or on the space station.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I wish the Game of Thrones intro song was five minutes long.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Mans posted:

Why do people bash baddies in the head once and then flee like idiots. The baddie got knocked out, beat the snot out of him!

A good inversion of a cliche similar to this (the "shoot them once, you think they're dead, but they're still alive) is in the second season of 24.

That season, on a whole, is pretty good. The exception to this is the Kim plotline. The writers literally just had the stupidest loving poo poo happen to her. A psycho employer who she escapes from, a cop she has to escape from, a crazy mountain-man survivalist she has to escape from, and no lie, a God-damned cougar almost kills her while she is trapped in...a cougar trap. A cougar trap that any idiot with opposable thumbs can escape from because it just requires loosening up a wire.

Then a the end of the season, she is back at the FIRST psycho's place, and he shows up to kill her. She calls her dad asking what to do, and somehow she has a gun, so he yells for her to shoot him.

Then he yells for her to shoot him again.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I get irritated when someone gets stabbed in the chest, but with the blade up and down and it goes in perfect and the person dies.

That's not how anatomy works. Ribs are made of bone, and are pretty hard. You won't be punching through a sternum with a knife. Sword, maybe. Knife? Probably not.

Yet every time I see someone get stabbed, it's with the blade vertical instead of horizontal.

All of this, but with vampires and wooden stakes.

I can accept people like Buffy, other vampires, etc... being able to do it. They're supernatural and have super-strength.

But the odds that a regular human could have any hope of pushing a wooden stake though a ribcage? Especially when the stakes are perfectly round and thus rely entirely on someone's grip strength? Can you say holy mother of God, splinters everywhere?

Like...wouldn't it make a lot more sense to have stakes that looked more like a dagger? With a cross-guard that can be pushed against? You would still need to push really loving hard, and I'm guessing the success rate would be pretty low before the vampire killed you, but you'd at least have a shot compared to a traditional stake with no cross-guard.

The only time I've seen this addressed is in the first Dusk till Dawn. When describing the vampires, one of the characters actually mentioned that they have really soft bodies, and how weird that is.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Taeke posted:

So far, for me, Watchmen dealt with this the best way, the difference of course being that Dr. Manhattan also had the temporal disconnect, which is hard to convey but I think the comic did a very good job, and this adaptation on youtube is very well done, for those of you that haven't read the comic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stKh-TQxHLw

The movie differs a bit, but there's no major spoilers if you've seen the movie but still want to read the graphic novel.

Hahahaha, holy poo poo, I had no idea "motion comics" were so hilarious:

It's like something out of SeaLab 2021.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Pretty much anything involving defibs in movies/tv is wrong. Or medical equipment in general.

Shocking on a flatline is probably the biggest offender.

I also get annoyed when anything does the cliched "heart monitor beeps slower and slower until the patient die, when it becomes one long, sustained, beep."

That's NOT how monitors work. There is no long beep on a flatline. It would be nothing for a few seconds, and then it would alarm. And an alarm isn't a steady beep, it's a specific mix of several tones/beeps and flashing lights.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

There's another stock police sound i hear all the time that was initially ingrained in my brain from some version of Sim City... It played every time you built a police station.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

mng posted:

Why are comics allowed to publish this poo poo, but movies are held to some sort of realism standard? gently caress that, I want a real comic book movie now.

Uhh...have you seen the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

They have god-like beings with essentially magic technology, a talking, genetically engineered and cybernetic raccoon, a tree-man, and pretty soon, a man who will be able to do literal magic (not the "looks like magic but can just be called advanced technology" of the Asgardians, Dark Elves, etc...)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

One thing that annoys me in a ton of movies (and books, and tv shows) that Guardians of the Galaxy sidestepped is that the protagonists know of a serious problem with a wide-reaching impact and decide to try to stop it themselves, either ignoring or outright antagonizing the authorities that should be able to help them.

They even summed it up nicely: "Do you trust him?" "Not really but I see no reason for him to lie about this" or something like that.

Well, I mean, no one's 100% a dick...

The irony in that line being that both Ronan and Thanos seem to be 100% dicks...

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Game of Thrones operates on Dark Souls rules, and the half naked guy dual-wielding lovely weapons is probably like a million times stronger than you.

You might be on to something...they DO both have an Onion Knight:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Just because the prison exists doesn't mean there's an endless supply of hookers and blow.