Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Chernabog posted:

Why did the female monster have eggs before meeting with the male monster? Also, How did it know that the nuclear bomb would explode, providing the babies with the radiation they needed? Speaking about that, if fire could destroy the babies, one would assume that a freaking nuclear explosion would kill them as well. Why were the military using airplanes if they knew the monsters had EMP shocks? Why did Godzilla even want to kill the monsters so bad? Certainly not to eat them.

Yeah, I know it is supposed to just be a dumb action movie.

In order:

The eggs were unfertilized. She didn't know what the bomb was or that it could explode, only that it was giving off a large amount of radiation. Godzilla hunts them because they're parasitic to him - remember the dormant muto eggs were found in a Godzilla skeleton

Or maybe he just really wants to gently caress them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Obviously, Godzilla likes us for making tasty radioactive snacks for him, and if the Mutos EMP us back to the stone age, then we can't make any more.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Azran posted:

Any time where they completely botch basic military tactics

Like jet fighters getting in to about 5 feet from the enemy.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Armageddon is the apex of disaster movies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

May Contain Nuts posted:

Yeah only maybe a quarter of those shots could have been made by on-board cameras, but that video raisers a much more pressing issue to me: Are they fighting in atmosphere? That battle took place 'near Saturn' meaning probably in space. Any atmosphere would have been on Saturn or Titan, neither of which would have a blue sky.

Saturn actually does/can have a blue sky! :eng101:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
My dad said he liked Godzilla '98 better than '14 because it didn't have any MY WIFE\KID\FAMILY subplots.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Mister Kingdom posted:

And that reminds me of the scene in Jedi where Han gets Lando to promise to bring the Falcon back without a scratch. You half expected the Falcon to be destroyed, but it comes back without its radar dish and Han says nothing.

The Falcon was actually supposed to be destroyed (caught in the Death Star's explosion), hence the foreshadowing lines like "Got this funny feeling, like I'm not gonna see her again".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

(Man of steel finale)

Yea, heroes tend to blow up a lot of poo poo, but hey, no one would give a gently caress if someone invaded Ohio and the vast battle of "Yonder Creek".

Which is why Marvel's United States is pretty much just New York City. DC even has three New Yorks so they never have to leave.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Canemacar posted:

Are there any movies were the hero proves their innocence, but gets promptly arrested anyway for assaulting officers and resisting arrest?

The A-Team movie did that. Pretty sure Liam Neeson gets a line like "Even if you were wrongly imprisoned, it's still a crime to break out of jail".

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
X-men needs to stay off on its own due to its massive cast and effectively incompatible worldbuilding, but I am disappointed that Spidey can't be in the Avengers.

Cause then he'd get a decent movie.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Seventh Arrow posted:

Maybe this is low-hanging fruit, but I found Apollo 18 to be terribly dumb. The premise is that two astronauts are sent to the moon, where they encounter spider-like creatures that attack them and...eat them, or something. I can't exactly remember. But anyways - carnivorous creatures on the moon?

They're not carnivores, they're attacking cause the astronauts basically kicked a beehive.

And there is water on the Moon - at the south pole, which is where 18's lunar module lands.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

ActingPower posted:

It's about a repressed young girl who finally discovers a place where she can let go of what society imposes on her and truly be herself. So... yeah, it kinda is. :v:

And in the process damns her society to a torturous death as "herself" explodes from her body and smothers everything.

Then she stabs her sister in the heart.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
All beer is disgusting anyway.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I liked how there were three separate "oh on a kid is in danger false alarm they're safe now" AND a "oh no a dog is in danger false alarm they're safe now".

I rewatched the 1998 Godzilla and was stunned at how it doesn't have any longass breaks from monsters and monster-related activities to discuss the humans' backstories. There's also no pets or children.

EmmyOk posted:

All filla no zilla

I liked it though tbh

It's not terrible, honestly. The Mutos are pretty cool monsters, the setpieces are nice, and Godzilla himself is awesome when he shows up. Even Corporal Asswipe works alright as an Everyman to get put into situations to see the monsters up-close (there's no excusing Wife and Kid, tho).

But it's not the movie that the amazing Oppenheimer trailer promised, or the movie that ANY of the promotional material showed, or is still showing in the ads for the DVD.

The childlike glee I felt when Godzilla's spines began lighting up was worth the ticket price, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I rewatched Godzilla 98 a few weeks ago, and it's better than Pacific Rim and most of Godzilla 2014.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Seriously, I understand the gripes about the new Godzilla (even though I enjoyed it) but saying Godzilla 98 was better than it or Pacific Rim is just cutting your nose off to spite your face.

G-98 isn't better than 2014, but they average out to be pretty close. '98 doesn't have the pure awesome scenes 2014's Godzilla does, but it also doesn't flounder about with kids\families\Deep Human Drama\OHNOADOGISINPERIL

Pacific Rim was just too boring to even place. I honestly thought it was a three-hour movie, it was so dull.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Every second G was on screen in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YsnZ4bYIjs

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm not a fan of those Youtube vids. They're way to literal, I mean, I would consider the whole tsunami sequence (or in '98, the part where all the vehicles bounce with Zilla's footsteps) to still be a "Godzilla scene" even though they're not onscreen.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

BiggerBoat posted:

What's so hard about making a decent Godzilla, Hulk, Transformers film or even a decent Alien or Terminator sequel or a new RoboCop movie? These things practically write themselves they're so god damned simple, especially Godzilla and Hulk. Why is this tricky? Showing Hulk smashing and Godzilla wrecking poo poo should be remarkably easy. One is "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde with a dash of Frankenstein" and the other is "Giant Monster Fucks Up Cities; gently caress! Run! Someone Kill It!"

Same loving question about Greek mythology movies.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Do CGI budgets make people decide "hrm, i think what people want in this giant monster movie is more kids"? Seems like they'd just make the movie shorter.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Buzkashi posted:

I watched Jurassic Park this weekend and while that movie holds up really really well after 21 years, I was a little annoyed by how much they use the whole "if the camera can't see it the characters can't see it" thing - like the T-Rex coming out of nowhere and grabbing the raptor, there is NO WAY they wouldn't have reacted to it before that moment.

That was actually a last-minute change to the movie. The original ending had Muldoon survive and show up with his rifle to rescue everybody from the raptors.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
There is no scholarly consensus on which way is correct, or even if the thumbs up/down gesture was used. The only certainty is that the thumb was involved.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
If you want an actual gladiatorial truth that movies miss...they were sports stars.

They had advertising contracts, they shilled products. They had action figures made in their image, with little accessories for the gladiator's preferred weapon. Their stats were recorded and published in an official newsletter, and sometimes carved into their tombs.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

FreudianSlippers posted:

If Gladiator had actually been historically accurate they would have had the villain decapitate a running ostrich with a dart and have hundreds of amputees tied together so he could club them to death in public while pretending they were giants.

Then he got strangled to death by a wrestler in a bath house because the senate was tired of his poo poo.

Also he renamed the city, Senate, people, navy, legions and months of the year after himself.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Morpheus posted:

I just like to think that those gladiators are flipping off various people.

The gesture had similar "gently caress you!" meaning in the Empire as it does today; Romans believed the blood vessels in the middle finger ran directly to the genitals, so flipping someone off was like showing them your erect cock.

Supposedly, Caligula would wear the imperial rings on his middle finger, so visitors had to symbolically kiss his dick when greeting him.

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm certainly not a historian and I bet you know far more than me on this so I concede that I'm probably wrong... but I remember reading some history boffin who said there is nothing to suggest thumbs were involved at all, but lots of images survive of gladiators using their finger to plead for mercy.

There's not much to go on in any direction, honestly.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I'm irrationally irritated at the "made a new dinosaur" gimmick.

What set JP apart from other monster movies for me was that dinosaurs were very real. Even if the movies got details wrong (either outright, or because of later discoveries), T. Rex? Real. Raptors? Real (albiet Utahraptors given their size, not Veloci-).

Even the plots of the movies were based on dinosaur controversies of the time. The old "were dinosaurs warm-blooded?" and "did dinosaurs become birds?" ones shaped the first, "were dinosaurs parental?" the second, "was T. Rex really a scavenger?" the third. Even the Spinosaurus stuff was based on something.

Hell, the first Jurassic Park is the entire reason people now think of dinosaurs as fast-moving and dangerous animals instead of lumbering behemoths. Grant was supposed to be seen as a bit of an eccentric for advocating bird-like dinosaurs at the start of the movie.

Now what? Just "yeah, we made 1998's Godzilla for giggles, everybody run around in panic woooo raptor motorbike squad"?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Len posted:

Didn't the second Jurassic Park book have a chameleon dinosaur? It isn't like ridiculous hybrids are too far fetched.

Because it was thought Carnotaurus was an ambush predator that fed on smaller prey at the time.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

GazChap posted:

I hate Hunt For Red October for this reason.

Right at the very start, Sean Connery starts talking Russian (in a Scottish accent, natch) but within a few sentences he switches to English along with everyone else, for no apparent reason.

It's obviously just to set up that he's Russian, but then not carrying it on so as not to confuse people.

Red October at least does something interesting with it, though. The switch occurs midsentence on the word "Armageddon", which is the same in both languages.

Then when the Americans and Russian meet later, the Russians are speaking their language again.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
If it's early in the show, I don't mind as much (although yeah, it gets annoying if it's like season 5 and they're still doing it).

I mean, in the real world we discovered whole continents with cities of gold and unknown civilizations, but there's still no gorgons.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Medieval Medic posted:

That the power of love/anger makes a character overcome something that they were otherwise losing to.

Has there ever been a movie where a character sees a loved one die, and instead of reinvigorating and taking their revenge, gets killed aswell?

Does 300 count?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Away all Goats posted:

Or that no one would use bicycles. An inexpensive, fuel-free, easy to maintain (and obtain) transportation that lets you outpace zombies (even fast ones). Also most of them can go off road and transport at least 2 people. Nope, instead everyone drives around in cars or if their car breaks down, they just walk. Put like 2 bikes in the trunk or on the roof!

It spoils the "LOOK AT DECADENT MODERN SOCIETY CRUMBLE" wanking if perceived-as-goofy modern technology continues to function just fine or even becomes the new standard for survival.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pilchenstein posted:

Someone makes a bomb by sticking some stuff in a microwave and it doesn't detonate until we've heard the ding. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work like that unless you wired an explosive to the bell.

Mythbusters tested that, actually, and not, it doesn't.

If the bomb stuff has a detonator, then as soon as the microwave turns on it'll spark the blasting cap and explode, but you wouldn't have time to get away.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Sentient Data posted:

going from the now stereotypical 'out the airlock' method of death to putting someone in an airlock without a suit then just slowly depressurizing it to 0 would totally cross the line from a tough but fair wartime ruler to an utter psychopath.

That would just be suffocation, though.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They made it even worse in that movie by having the slaves insist to the British soldiers, "We're not slaves, we're freedmen! We choose to work this land!"

Really? In the southern part of the colonies in the 18th century? gently caress you.

Slavery was legal and practiced in all of the colonies in the 1700s, it wasn't just a Southern thing yet.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm well aware of that, I was pointing out that the movie being set in South Carolina makes that idea even more ludicrous. If it were Massachusetts, maybe you could buy that there were a few enlightened folks that felt "Sure it's legal, but I'm not comfortable owning a person" even in the 1700s.

Georgia banned slavery until 1749, while New York City hanged ~100 slaves in 1741 for an alleged conspiracy to burn the city down.

I don't mean to attack you or anything, but I'm tired of the Northern revisionism where they keep going "oh we were always against slavery, honest! it was only those dirty stupid southerners doing it, we tried to stop them!"

Most Enlightened people of the time were like Thomas Jefferson; outright abolitionism only showed up in the Quaker community. Having an "enlightened" Northerner spouting those views who's NOT a Quaker is just as anachronistic as if the character was a Southerner, maybe even moreso, if the Southerner is a Georgian.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
It had been. That's where he got the name Star-Lord from.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Manhattan's intro rules and is my favorite TV show intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fV5WNudPPU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

DrBouvenstein posted:

All of this, but with vampires and wooden stakes.

I can accept people like Buffy, other vampires, etc... being able to do it. They're supernatural and have super-strength.

The only time I've seen this addressed is in the first Dusk till Dawn. When describing the vampires, one of the characters actually mentioned that they have really soft bodies, and how weird that is.

In Buffy, at least, it's mentioned that wood is supernaturally effective against vampires.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

For the theatrical release at least, they ADRed a line from the taxi cab driver, off-camera, that had him complaining about his leg. Even though it was really obvious he was killed.

...was it the voice from Spongebob?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I thought she was supposed to be a lingual nerd, insisting on using the correct pronunciation even though nobody else does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The "mutants as allegory for minority X" has never really sat right with me, since (AFAIK) Jews can't obliterate a neighborhood by opening their eyes/make people's heads explode/eat your car.